Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booze, READ THE POST WITH ALL THE SMOGON PEOPLE IN IT. -_-

Zog, it also depends on how your opponent do. Let's say you go against person X and win against him in the first round. Person X loses all other rounds. That'll be bad for you.
On the other hand, if you lose to someone really good (Let's say to go 4-1, your only loss to person X who is 5-0) you'll have a better tie breaker.

What about OmegaDonut?
No luck for him.

I managed to beat Zerowing out of sheer luck. I'm not gonna lie, and I am sure he will say the same thing. Basically, Turn-1 Fake Out + Dark Void from him, second turn he killed my Lum Slaking and my other pokemon WOKE UP and caused a lot of trouble.

But yea, Pimp is officially in 3rd in our flight. :D Apparently Syberia used AR to do EV Training or something, and went over the limit by a few points. They sorted everything on IRC (Pimp, Syb, and Marriland), and everything was cleared.

We are going out to celebrate at 5 for some pizza, and TOMORROW we go back at 8:30 to do actual placings, for the Elimination portion of the round. This will determine the actual 1st-16th.

My last match with 616 was cool. it was pretty much over but we decided to tie it. I told him to Explode and I wont protect and it would clear the field, which resulted in a tie (We both knew we won). Epic sportsmanship, huh?

Good luck to us all, and sorry for the others.

EDIT: They had to factors everybodys percentages together, so only 1 or 2 of use got over 60% (616 was one of them). Zerowing lost by a mere .2%. :(

I still want to battle Smogon people, I don't think there was hardly anyone from Smogon in my bracket. I'll be hunting for some battles over the next two days. PM me if you want my number and are here in the Holiday Inn.

So there are 16 people who will compete tomorrow in single elimination matches? Does that mean all 16 will still get to go to World's regardless of tomorrow's results?

Damn, wish I was there, just for the pizza. :P

So there are 16 people who will compete tomorrow in single elimination matches? Does that mean all 16 will still get to go to World's regardless of tomorrow's results?

Damn, wish I was there, just for the pizza. :P
Yeah, whoever got top16 is going to worlds.

Congrats to everyone, zwang should've got in.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
nintendo is ass at holding these things. or pusa or whoever hosts them. there should be a round robin final or whatever should there be a tie,

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Here on 5ks computer, I lost in the 4th round due to a 1 turn sleep on Vash's Abomasnow, had it slept one more turn I win. Sixonesix's team would've been easily countered by mine so I should've been 5-0. I ended up 4-1, as did 4 others, while Vash and Sixoneseix went 4-0-1. Only the top 4 of each flight move on to tomorrow, and because my opponent's winning percentage was the worst I did not join the others. I was 2 percentage points from the final spot and had Sixonesix/Vash tied the final match my percentage points would have thrust me into the final spot or maybe even higher. Instead of Vash winning like he should have done, he and Sixonesix decided to tie the game with a last turn Explosion causing a tie and lowering my percentage points. So I like to thank you two for being dumbfucks and not getting me a trip to San Deigo to participate. I can accept the 1 turn sleep, it was luck, luck is part of the game. But when you two decide to conspire to cause a tie, you didn't think of the implications of what would happen, and because you fuck faces decided to have some "fun" it trickles to me and and I suffer.

Thanks. Jerks.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
My last match with 616 was cool. it was pretty much over but we decided to tie it. I told him to Explode and I wont protect and it would clear the field, which resulted in a tie (We both knew we won). Epic sportsmanship, huh?
That can modify the Tie Breakers... =/

Edit : Oops, didn't noticed zerowing's post x(

Here on 5ks computer, I lost in the 4th round due to a 1 turn sleep on Vash's Abomasnow, had it slept one more turn I win. Sixonesix's team would've been easily countered by mine so I should've been 5-0. I ended up 4-1, as did 4 others, while Vash and Sixoneseix went 4-0-1. Only the top 4 of each flight move on to tomorrow, and because my opponent's winning percentage was the worst I did not join the others. I was 2 percentage points from the final spot and had Sixonesix/Vash tied the final match my percentage points would have thrust me into the final spot or maybe even higher. Instead of Vash winning like he should have done, he and Sixonesix decided to tie the game with a last turn Explosion causing a tie and lowering my percentage points. So I like to thank you two for being dumbfucks and not getting me a trip to San Deigo to participate. I can accept the 1 turn sleep, it was luck, luck is part of the game. But when you two decide to conspire to cause a tie, you didn't think of the implications of what would happen, and because you fuck faces decided to have some "fun" it trickles to me and and I suffer.

Thanks. Jerks.

Lol, I'm too stupid to find the sarcasm in this.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeh, Self-KO clause was present in London. That shouldn't have counted as a tie. zerowing, I'd try and have words about that if still possible.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion

Thanks. Jerks.
Well, whoever used Explosion to cause the tie should get the loss
http://origin.pokemonvgc.com/en/rules/nrg.html

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
I know why they got a Tie...

In Paris VGC, someone used Destiny Bond with his last Pokemon.

The staff was quite helpless and didn't know what to do, so when I heard them I explained the self-KO clause and they gave the loss to the player who lauched Destiny Bond.

I think the staff there was probably not aware of this rule...

Results from Flight 1 (green zone):

#1 is Vash, #2 is Sixonesix, #3 is Alakapimp, #6 is Zerowing

Results from Flight 2 (orange zone):

#1 is IPL, #4 is Mingot's daughter

Results from Flight 3 (purple zone):

#1 is Omegadonut, #3 is Batpig, #4 is MattJ, #9 is Tyler422, #11 is Sidd

Results from Flight 4 (yellow zone):

#1 is Slimceagirl, #5 is Diesel, #9 is Halordain, #17 is Kikered

In my opinion (one of many today), the Swiss style of play left much to be desired. Its intent is to give you a comprehensive look at how all players match up against each other. Five matches is simply way too few to get a good look at everyone's talents, especially in a game that is as heavily influenced by luck as Pokemon. They needed either more matches per flight to get a better look at just how well players stacked up (since one match can change how half of the flight advances) or smaller pools where everyone gets to play everyone else within the pool.

Anyway, the reason that Self-KO clause was not in effect today was because wins didn't truly matter. Since it wasn't single elimination, they weren't forced into determining a winner for every match. A tie is a suitable way of judging skill in a system where a cumulative record is being monitored.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
See, this is exactly why we need self-KO clause. Especially in tournaments.
The tournament does have a self-KO clause. However, they probably also allow intentional draws if both players agree to it. The Explosion thing at the end didn't actually mean anything. A 4-0-1 record guarantees placement while 4-1 does not. I'm not sure if Vash and 616 knew for certain that they would advance if they had a 4-1 record. If they didn't, a intentional draw was the right thing to do. While it is unfortunate what happened to zerowing, making sure you get get to the Worlds yourself should take priority. If they knew they were both safe, it probably would have been better for 616 to throw the match to help out zerowing. I'm not sure if this would have knocked alakapimp out of the Top 4, though. I'm also not sure they had enough time to figure all of this out.

right there... green zone seventh place. baddd luck last match. no flinch :( draco meteor misses :'( critical hits >.<

'twas a fun first tourney; skipped work, drove three hours, all worth it.
good luck kids.

I spoke to ipl and he said they changed it so there was no Self-KO clause in Japan, and they followed suit for America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)