Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GEC, It wasnt the RNG shinies, because OD and IPL used them in Nashville without any problem. It was TMs. But yeah, I'm kind of fed up with these rules. How did Alaka NOT get disqualified for bypassing 510limit wheras you did for having exclusive TMs. TBH, there's no excuse for bypassing limit, when multiple TMs can be obtained via GTS, friends, etc. I'm beggining to question whether If I were to, I don't know, trade for 99 grass knots, would I actually be disqualified. Fucking nintendo or TPCi or whatever, this is ridiculous. I thought they had zero tolerance for hacks it's so stupid. The time people put into this game to do things the right way scared that they'll be D/Qed if they don't and to find out they could've just used legal hacks. If I was one of those people like IPL or Omega Donut, or Sidd, who do things the right way scared that if they hack I'd be severly pissed..

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
GEC, It wasnt the RNG shinies, because OD and IPL used them in Nashville without any problem. It was TMs. But yeah, I'm kind of fed up with these rules. How did Alaka NOT get disqualified for bypassing 510limit wheras you did for having exclusive TMs. TBH, there's no excuse for bypassing limit, when multiple TMs can be obtained via GTS, friends, etc. I'm beggining to question whether If I were to, I don't know, trade for 99 grass knots, would I actually be disqualified. Fucking nintendo or TPCi or whatever, this is ridiculous. I thought they had zero tolerance for hacks it's so stupid. The time people put into this game to do things the right way scared that they'll be D/Qed if they don't and to find out they could've just used legal hacks. If I was one of those people like IPL or Omega Donut, or Sidd, who do things the right way scared that if they hack I'd be severly pissed..
You should try that; the feeling of being disqualified from the one thing that you couldn't stop thinking about for like 2 months is really something amazing :D

Yeah I also used a team of 6 RNG shinies at London, as did my brother, and neither of us got any comments from the organisers. I went through a massive hackcheck too, vs. Illegal Blissey Guy (was stood around for like 15 minutes while labcoat dude and this guy who looked like Timothy Spall checked both carts) so they can't have had any problem with it.

Edit: Oh yeah and let's not forget the worst disqualification of the whole London national: the guy named Luigi (kid in a cream jacket if anyone saw him) who beat my brother in round 3 was disqualified from the top 16 because he had 2 lum berries on the teamsheet. He'd been under the wrong impression when it came to items (he thought you couldn't swap items between rounds and that you just couldn't use 2 of the same item at once).
How the event staff checked through his teamsheet and didn't notice the two lum berries, then let him get all the way to the top 16 before disqualifying him for something that should've been pointed out at the start is simply disgusting. Add to that how even when Luigi was disqualified, they didn't let my brother into the top 16.

There was an upside to this though: Shoe basically got a free pass through the quarter finals (lucky bugger got put against nobody while I ended up losing to Sadman), making it an all-Smogon semifinal setup for the tournament.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ok a few things to say, first of all as syberia stated the spread had no stat implications, and had the same stats as a 252 252 4 spread, second your judge who based on his whim let me stay in was a combination of Marriland and Mike Lesik(the guy in charge) finally as much as the lack of competitive relativeness i was allowed to stay in because i did not do the evs myself but rather someone else did who i was able to get in contact with through irc on my phone and confirmed that he gave me the poke

one more thing i would like to express my doubt that anyone was actually dq'd for having too many tm's as i find this highly unlikely especially since the event you claim this happened at mike lesik who allowed me to stay in was present at, and because the way they hack check the games does not involve looking through your bags

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
ok a few things to say, first of all as syberia stated the spread had no stat implications, and had the same stats as a 252 252 4 spread, second your judge who based on his whim let me stay in was a combination of Marriland and Mike Lesik(the guy in charge) finally as much as the lack of competitive relativeness i was allowed to stay in because i did not do the evs myself but rather someone else did who i was able to get in contact with through irc on my phone and confirmed that he gave me the poke

one more thing i would like to express my doubt that anyone was actually dq'd for having too many tm's as i find this highly unlikely especially since the event you claim this happened at mike lesik who allowed me to stay in was present at, and because the way they hack check the games does not involve looking through your bags
Don't even try and defend yourself man. They let you through, yeah, but that's not the point. Just be happy that you made it through without getting DQ'ed but stop trying to defend your position.

Akai Takahiro あかい たかひろ(23さい)(男)
Urano Yuu うらの ゆう(26さい)(男)
Fukumori Tomoaki ふくもり ともあき(20さい)(男)
Morishima Takushi もりしま たくし(21さい)(男)
Tsuji Kazuyuki つじ かずゆき(25さい)(男)
Hideshima Hiroaki ひでしま ひろあき(20さい)(男)
Mano Yuu まの ゆう(15さい)(男)
とくめい(anonymity) (20さい)(?)

In short, at least the seven who revealed their names are male, and none attended the Pokemon Showdown Worlds last year. I also have the teams each player used to reach the Elite Eight, but please email me (tsaic@mit.edu). Some of these people are friends, and I don't want to just publicly post their teams.

Some of you asked for videos. Here was my most enjoyable match from Nationals (Grace, this was the dancing guy):
72-95417-33143

...and a fun practice match with my quarterfinal opponent from last year's Worlds, whom I still play quite often:
37-40962-89423

~Halordain

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Edit: Oh yeah and let's not forget the worst disqualification of the whole London national: the guy named Luigi (kid in a cream jacket if anyone saw him) who beat my brother in round 3 was disqualified from the top 16 because he had 2 lum berries on the teamsheet. He'd been under the wrong impression when it came to items (he thought you couldn't swap items between rounds and that you just couldn't use 2 of the same item at once).
How the event staff checked through his teamsheet and didn't notice the two lum berries, then let him get all the way to the top 16 before disqualifying him for something that should've been pointed out at the start is simply disgusting. Add to that how even when Luigi was disqualified, they didn't let my brother into the top 16.
Oh yeah, I heard about that D/Q. Worst part is I imagine that the staff were so ignorant, they wouldn't believe that it wasn't Luigi's fault, but the people who were in charge of checking the team sheets. Yet another great one, Nintendo...

I dunno, I'd asked Marriland at about round 2 whether or not they were going to be checking anything other than the party in their hack-check and he said no. I guess that just wasn't the case for all the regionals, especially in London.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I dunno, I'd asked Marriland at about round 2 whether or not they were going to be checking anything other than the party in their hack-check and he said no. I guess that just wasn't the case for all the regionals, especially in London.
That dude that I talked to said he could "look through all your boxes" I guess he could look through your bag too. It couldn't be that hard!

Some guy in my flight (I don't remember his name) told me the exact same thing happened to him. He put some berry on 2 pokes and thought it would be okay because he wasn't going to use them at the same time. He just didn't want to take the time to take the berry off, then look through his bag for it to put it on the other alternate starter he wanted to use. However, they just made him put some other item on the one and let him continue.

Honestly, we're probably all missing some part of the story, because that's pretty whack that they'd let 1 guy go and the other guy get DQd.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
So guys to lighten the mood in here: zerowing, mysteryman, and I took a bunch of Marriland photos in his infamous pose.

SPOT THE DIFFERENCES IN HIS POSES!

And my brother got some of his cards signed:

HOT SKITTY ON WAILORD ACTION!

Akai Takahiro あかい たかひろ(23さい)(男)
Urano Yuu うらの ゆう(26さい)(男)
Fukumori Tomoaki ふくもり ともあき(20さい)(男)
Morishima Takushi もりしま たくし(21さい)(男)
Tsuji Kazuyuki つじ かずゆき(25さい)(男)
Hideshima Hiroaki ひでしま ひろあき(20さい)(男)
Mano Yuu まの ゆう(15さい)(男)
とくめい(anonymity) (20さい)(?)

In short, at least the seven who revealed their names are male, and none attended the Pokemon Showdown Worlds last year. I also have the teams each player used to reach the Elite Eight, but please email me (tsaic@mit.edu). Some of these people are friends, and I don't want to just publicly post their teams.

Some of you asked for videos. Here was my most enjoyable match from Nationals (Grace, this was the dancing guy):
72-95417-33143

...and a fun practice match with my quarterfinal opponent from last year's Worlds, whom I still play quite often:
37-40962-89423

~Halordain
Nice, thanks for the info^^

It's a pity that I do not have direct access to wifi...

I agree with all of this, "but" this should be the reason that Nintendo either allows legal hacks or actually enforces the No-Tolerance Policy they were so willing to bend in the case of Alakapimp.
As you can probably guess by my supposedly "ridiculous" stance on competitive Pokemon that you know all too well, I completely agree. I feel that we should only play competitively with things that are made available to all within the games themselves (which is why I think Mew, Celebi, etc should be banned) and other than that, have virtually no bans/clauses (especially those that the game doesn't provide a method of enforcing). In the same sense, there is no auto-create feature in Pokemon games. TPCI shouldn't allow any hacking, period. In the rules it said that the use of external devices is prohibited. You use it, you get DQed, end of story (from exceeding EVs to the auto-egg hatchers and 999 Master Ball users). The fact that Alakapimp got a free pass only convolutes TPCI's stance on hacking even further.

For the sake of this "rant", I'm willing to overlook Nintendo's insistence upon having their tournaments as doubles only with virtually no exception.
What solution do you have to offer? The 6 Pokemon singles that can take anywhere from 10 minutes to one hour? Or do you suggest 1v1 Stadium Mode, an even more Rock-Paper-Scissors type metagame than doubles.

I'm willing to ignore the fact that hundreds of families had to drive for hours for Regionals, only to be turned away at the door because of a random entry process they could do nothing about.
I have two things to say about this point. First, is that you only get in if you show up. Everyone who went knew that there was a chance that they wouldn't get to play. Was I upset that I didn't get in at two tournaments? Sure. Could I live with the question in my mind of if I could've won had I went? No. It's a risk and everyone knew it. You can't win the lottery unless you pay up and buy a ticket. Second, and more importantly, give it time. This is a work in progress, being only year 2 of the VGC. They're not going to get handed more money than they can prove that they need, especially with money being as tight as it is. People showing the interest in the tournament and making these long drives is going to make this tournament grow faster.

Seriously, think about it:

Hey, would-be entrants in this Official tourney! You didn't get in because of our computer's RNG, and there's no way we could have orchestrated this part before you drove all the way up here, but here's some intangible pixels we hacked up to comfort you on your five-hour drive back!
Could a pre-registration have been coordinated before the tournament? Yes. Does TPCI particularly want to do that? No. When it comes down to it, this tournament is a huge advertizing scheme in an effort to publicize Pokemon and get more people to buy the latest game. Besides, when they're in a growing stage like this, they need numbers to show up. With pre-registration, I bet the numbers at the tournaments would be half of what they were, if not less. If it looks like there's little interest, how are they going to convince the executives to cough up the cash to help this thing grow? They're not going to give more money to something that isn't stirring up crazy amounts of interest in Pokemon.

I will be damned if our Smogoners should have to waste any time making their pokemon legitimately if they don't want to when it very literally does not matter even if you admit to it. I honestly cannot think of a bigger reason than Nintendo itself looking the other way on an actual illegal hack, when they evidently run the only tournaments that matter, to have us as a community finally stop thinking legitimacy and painstaking breeding and training even matter at all as far as competitive battling is concerned.
Again, I agree with the fact that TPCI needs to pick a stance on hacking and stick with it. Hopefully it will be what I want: absolutely no external devices, for anything at all.

I tried to stay on your main point of how it is sickening that someone was allowed to continue because their hack didn't matter, which I agree with. However, all of these criticisms of the tournament that are being thrown around really tick me off. Everyone here acts like it's Pokemon's duty to host these tournaments for us. If I were running the tournament, I'd be tempted to just drop it entirely, given how ungrateful everyone is. The fact of the matter is that it's a work in progress. It seems that no one takes the initiative to write in a thoughtful letter with suggestions. For those who haven't already, ideas and critiques should be sent here: customerservice@go-pokemon.com

Overall, your entire rant is pretty hypocritical. Alot of similar criticisms could be thrown at Smogon too. How many people put in hard work on the site only to get some "hacked up pixels" in the form of a badge? In return though, chaos gets to sit on the heaps of money that he collects off of the site. What's more is that in the grand scheme of things, they were tricked into writing articles for a metagame that no one but Smogon cares about. While Smogon had people wasting their time on countless 1v1 analysis revamps, people could've been writing them for a pertinent metagame. A metagame, that if Smogon put the effort into studying, would yield more publicity via the VGC than it could ever hope for. You can bet that Omegadonut spent his time formulating a team for a tournament that mattered. He has a Wii, DSi, trophies, trips, Pokemon goodies, the possibility of winning even more, and the official title of National Pokemon Champion. What do Smogon tournament winners have to show for what they've done? How many players have been promised t-shirts and Pokemon XD for winning Smogon tours and Official Smogon tournaments, only to never receive them?

I blame the organisers, If the people at the top knew how to communicate properly with the game referees at these events, and infomed them all correctly of the exact rules this may have actually worked and not bending rules when one individual saw fit. I do a lot of events management projects outside my studies at Uni and for an organisation that seems to have sussed TCG it amazes me the struggle they so obviously have within the video game aspect of these events.

With that said, I did make my way over to the Paris VGC after being luck hax at the London event, whilst there I had a very interesting chat with the guy who was running the hack check machine.
So after another round of being luck haxed >_< against Massi in the first round of all people lol, damn Rockslide missed his zappy for the KO nd that basically screwed me but nevermind next year.

Soooo, I had just collect my shiny Milotic *Whoop-Whoop* (all that way for a crappy shiny) and noticed the hack checker desk, so i went over to the guy there and started chatting with him, luckily enough he was English and strangly went to Uni near where i live (small world) not important though, anyway i asked him to check my cart making up some bullshit excuse about thinking that i may have some dodgy pokemon on my cart that i got from the GTS although knowing i didnt hack my pokes so I knew I'd be fine. He took my cart and checked it, it was fine, I then got curious so I started asking him how it worked, although he wouldn't tell me much he did say the machine can only check pokemon in a trainers party and kept saying that if i had pokemon from the GTS i'd recieved in my boxes i'd have to go trade them in and he could check them that way, this then led to me asking 'so what if a trainer had a whole bunch of hacked pokemon and items on their cart how could you tell?' he told me they couldn't, unless they psyically went in to a players game just like you or I could using the regular DS method and looked for signs of hacking like x999 master balls ect.
Even after hearing this from the guy I don't know if he was bullshiting me or not but from the sounds of these hack checkers either the US and European ones are different (which i find highly unlikely) or the guys that are using them really don't have a clue and thus proving again lack of knowledge and training when using these devices but as pointless as this may seem i just thought i'd share this with you guys since its on topic and all.

Also I'd just like to say a big congrats to all the finalists, and goodluck to all at San Diego!!

Personally im hoping Gara wins it, hes gona be one to watch out for especially from past battle experience against him, although that was a long time ago and GSC days on IRC nd NB but id still say hes one of the top battlers on here, good luck to you sir!!!!

@Alakapimp: I heard you had a spread of 512 EVs (that would be past legal limits), but you used 511, so that had no effect on the tournament. Of course, you're lucky that you were with Marriland and Mike Liesek. If it were the people at the London event, they'ed ban you in a second.

@Halordain: Lol, the 7 that aren't anonymous are all male. No females, like last year. Maybe the anonymous person is a female, and is trying to hide her identity? Since none of those players are from last year, there are zero veterans from last year in the entire tournament (unless Mr./Ms./Mrs. Anonymous was from last year). By the way, I'm surprised you're still aquainted with Midori, just goes to show how small the world is with the internet...

had alakapimp got banned i would have had two 'free' matches sending me to the finals O_o... i'd like a zero-tolerence myself since i hatched all my eggs from scratch.

in the first round, a twelve-year-old accidently poked "run" after the first turn... DQ'd. poor guy.

Overall, your entire rant is pretty hypocritical. Alot of similar criticisms could be thrown at Smogon too. How many people put in hard work on the site only to get some "hacked up pixels" in the form of a badge? In return though, chaos gets to sit on the heaps of money that he collects off of the site. What's more is that in the grand scheme of things, they were tricked into writing articles for a metagame that no one but Smogon cares about. While Smogon had people wasting their time on countless 1v1 analysis revamps, people could've been writing them for a pertinent metagame. A metagame, that if Smogon put the effort into studying, would yield more publicity via the VGC than it could ever hope for. You can bet that Omegadonut spent his time formulating a team for a tournament that mattered. He has a Wii, DSi, trophies, trips, Pokemon goodies, the possibility of winning even more, and the official title of National Pokemon Champion. What do Smogon tournament winners have to show for what they've done? How many players have been promised t-shirts and Pokemon XD for winning Smogon tours and Official Smogon tournaments, only to never receive them?
I just love you for having stated this.

Howdy guys, just got back home. My new stalling team did horribly - I went 1-4 in my flight. I should have stuck with the team I did in Dallas. My only win was against Berton, one of the top 4 from Seattle. Here's the video of that match, so you can see what my team does when it works correctly:

24-20775-06464

And then after the tournament the 3rd/4th place guy that I eliminated in Dallas wanted a revenge match, and I won that one too. Sigh.

I'd also like to say congratulations to IPL. I talked to him in my flight and he is a really nice guy. I'm glad he did so well.

As you can probably guess by my supposedly "ridiculous" stance on competitive Pokemon that you know all too well, I completely agree. I feel that we should only play competitively with things that are made available to all within the games themselves (which is why I think Mew, Celebi, etc should be banned) and other than that, have virtually no bans/clauses (especially those that the game doesn't provide a method of enforcing). In the same sense, there is no auto-create feature in Pokemon games. TPCI shouldn't allow any hacking, period. In the rules it said that the use of external devices is prohibited. You use it, you get DQed, end of story (from exceeding EVs to the auto-egg hatchers and 999 Master Ball users). The fact that Alakapimp got a free pass only convolutes TPCI's stance on hacking even further.
Did Marriland take charge of it and allow Alaka the win by himself or did both of them (him and Mike) both agree to let Alakapimp play?

it seemed to me marrilland was informing mike that it wasn't going to amount to any difference in stat points, but sheesh... the metagross had 31 ivs across the board... to breed that with dittos would take ages and here one pops up all nice and neat and trained minus the effort O_o. heh. i'll grant him his skills at knowing how to construct teams and battle though... and he was a good guy in small talk.

hax free is the way to be.

it seemed to me marrilland was informing mike that it wasn't going to amount to any difference in stat points, but sheesh... the metagross had 31 ivs across the board... to breed that with dittos would take ages and here one pops up all nice and neat and trained minus the effort O_o. heh. i'll grant him his skills at knowing how to construct teams and battle though... and he was a good guy in small talk.

hax free is the way to be.
Editted just in case for team privacy.

I've not tried PRNGing yet--i'm still confused--but my pal says it still takes a lot of luck in timing and whatnot... I'm mostly just butt-hurt since I could've got a free pass into the finals. lol.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I know I'm as guilty as anybody...

Remember waaaaay back when...

PLEASE READ: Do not make this topic a debate about "cheating" or what you think the hack checkers can check, stay on topic and discuss VGS strategies or any info that gets revealed in the future. Basically don't mention Pokesav, Pokesav breeding, AR codes, or how to beat hack checks, or you will be infracted from this point forward. Stay on topic and do not discuss trying to "beat" hack checks here on Smogon.

Can we please talk about the VGCs again and not hacking? We're all just arguing with ourselves and getting nowhere. If you want to argue hacking, what is considered hacking, or how to beat hack checks can you please start a new thread? This thread is getting clogged up with pointless arguments about stuff that happened in the past and can't be changed.

Batpig. Thanks for bringing me back to the reality of how much fun I had at Nationals with your hillarious pics! ^.6 I had crazy fun. And in a lil over a month worlds will be here! Yay! More poke-shenanigans!!!

Did anyone get those awesome Rayquaza/Pikachu hats for sale at StLouis?

I wanted to buy one, but by the time I got there all of them had been sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)