Old cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
I've noticed that cartoons these days just seem different from what was on in the in the 90s. I'm not saying that they're necessarily worse (I was born in the late 80s, so I grew up on cartoons in the new millenium as well), but they just seem to have taken out the...well... action. Every show just seems to be some light hearted comedy about a 12 year old kid. Whatever happened to awesome characters blasting each other with lasers, or beating the crap out of each other? Now it seems like the only violence you'll find is in anime. I almost forgot what it used to be like.

So let's all bring those old memories back, just post your favorite old cartoons here (not necessarily just action cartoons like I mentioned before).

I'll start off with a couple:

Transformers
Biker Mice From Mars
The X-Men
Mummies Alive
Gargoyles
Mask

Eh?

Ed ed and eddy don't seem like their 12...anyways, theyre one of the 90's shows too. The only recent (semi-recent) shows thats been good to watch was Spongebob. Most cartoons now suck, with the exception of Billy and Mandy.

I blame parents for the absence of violence in cartoons.

Actually, good and more recent cartoons still exist like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends or Kids Next Door. I actuall prefer these to action cartoons. They never seemed to amuse me... I did enjoy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles though and Gargoyles to.

Also, like Altmer said, Tom & Jerry <3. Any cartoon made at that time was gold.

I was a fan of teenage mutant ninja turtles, and transformers, as well as plenty other old cartoons.

I don't like the new ones,but is mostly because i'm not a kid anymore, i mean, i grow with the above mentioned, so you always will like them.

Now about lasers and all that, well they maybe try to make them more friendly to the audience, i was about to say educative, but they don't... they just want it to be less violent because well, parents and other associations blame too much onto these things now days.

List (will edit again when i feel less numb)
-Teenage mutant ninja turtles
-Transformers
-Thundercats
-Silver hawks
-Dragon ball (was anime but i can't care less)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Lemme see:
SpongeBob: Do I need to describe this? Seems to have its own comedy though.
Billy & Mandy: Apparently a little creepy. I sorta like how Billy can't really be hurt by anything. He's afraid of spiders and clowns though. Dracula's awesome in this show.
Foster's: Bloo is hilarious. I love his Nasty plots (err...I meant Schemes)
Tom and Jerry: My classic favorite. Can't put it into words

Eh?

Ed ed and eddy don't seem like their 12...anyways, theyre one of the 90's shows too. The only recent (semi-recent) shows thats been good to watch was Spongebob. Most cartoons now suck, with the exception of Billy and Mandy.

I blame parents for the absence of violence in cartoons.
Spongebob sucks too.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Speaking of Disney, let's not forget Tale Spin and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers!

I liked beast wars, the brain dead half sister of transformers, when it first came out.

and foster's home for imaginary friends is awesome just because of bloo.

Transformers and TMNT are some of my old faves. There's also G-Force (Gatchaman)! It's Anime, but heck, I had no idea what anime was at the time... and japanese cartoons from that time were quite similar to american ones (see Speed Racer).

only currently great cartoon is Camp Lazlo, which shows shades of Nickelodeon's old brilliance even though it's aired on Cartoon Network. Billy and Mandy was great at first, sort of the successor to Invader Zim, now it's kind of generic and crappy but has its moments I suppose. Ed, Edd n' Eddy kicks ass but it's over now to my knowledge. Everything else currently running pretty much sucks, I have no clue why people are able to enjoy Foster's Home etc.

also since people are mentioning TMNT I feel the need to note that Jackie Chan Adventures was superior in every single possible way. oh it's true

Also Megas XLR kicked ass. It's not all that old but I still think it needs to be mentioned due to it being that damn awesome, and only lasting like two seasons due to cartoon network being retarded.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I loved the Disney afternoon lineup back in the 90s... Ducktales, Chip'n'Dale, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, Bonkers... definitely some classics there. Then Kids WB came in and had awesome stuff like Animaniacs. Actually, I recently saw a medley of 90s cartoon openings, it was very nostalgic :')

The thing about modern cartoons compared to older ones, I think, is that older cartoons were more multi-dimensional - they appealed to a wider audience. Modern cartoons just don't have much in the way of appeal to older watchers. I don't really know what to blame that on, though.

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
Tale Spin, wow.

Batman. Was. The. Shit.

-Voltron
-Reboot
-Doug
-David the Gnome
-Thundercats
-The New Adventures of Johnny Quest

Anyone that knows Reboot deserves a hi5

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Biker Mice From Mars is one of my all-time favourite cartoon shows. There's a new series out since 2006 but I haven't watched it for fear of ruining my memory of it!

I have a sense of humour I just find, Spongebob to as tasteless as the shit on the Disney Chanel.
Have you actually watched it?

norulz

excellent
Eh?

Ed ed and eddy don't seem like their 12...

Actually, good and more recent cartoons still exist like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends or Kids Next Door. I actuall prefer these to action cartoons. They never seemed to amuse me... I did enjoy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles though and Gargoyles to.
I love KND, but I hate Foster's, it's so, ugh, kiddy-humorous. They try reviving clichés, but fail completely on my point of view. Plus, I hate the plot, imaginary friends? Please, Craig should've sticked to more PPG episodes.

Also Megas XLR kicked ass.
Yeah Megas was pretty awesome.

Oh, I had a ton of favorite old cartoons growing up. Some of them were:

Street Sharks
Johnny Quest
Tundercats
Doug
TMNT
Power Rangers (It was actually a good show when I was growing up)

The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (My favorite Daffy Duck episode)
Tom and Jerry
Angry Beavers
Ahh! Real Monsters

And I can't forget Rocko's Modern Life

Yeah the toys were great, I still have mine in the attic somewhere. I remember the one shark that had long hair and was a rocker. He was my favorite.

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
Anyone that knows Reboot deserves a hi5
Yeah, Reboot was always a good show, and it was interesting how they completely changed it. Around the third season, it went from a "Yay, Bob saved the day!" show to this awesome, dark, violent show that kicked total ass.

As for Spongebob, I find that it was really good in the first year or so, but after that it started to go downhill. There were still some good episodes after that, but it wasn't consistent, and the style had definitely changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)