ORAS OU Old Fear

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Logo by Zeno
Hi, Smogon! Here I am with my third RMT on this forum! The team I want to show you allowed me to get the Metagrossite suspect done in about one day, with a surprising simplicity, peaking top 10 also relatively easy. It's a rather particular team with many anti-metagames elements. The main core its a very solid fwg core, based on Gourgeist-XL + Rotom-H + Gastrodon.
This core, which is incredibily solid, is not still complete though. It was missing a serious counter for latwins and dragons in general. There weren't even essential components like a defogger or stealth rock setter. Also after noticing a weakness to Gardevoir and Clefable, I decided to add Jirachi and Togekiss who complete the team in a perfectly sinergic way.

Last, but not the least, is a pokèmon who's able to get rid of the most annoying stall teams and also surprises the most solid and well built balances. The pokemon im talking about is one of the most unlucky megaevolutions in this metagame, but it is obviously underrated since it is incredibily bulky and deals heavy damages.The pokemon in this case is Mega Garchomp, ready to slash every unwary opponent on his way! The team built in this way could appear weird, but it has no particolary issues with common threats.

In detail...

Teardrop (Gastrodon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic

Let's start with one of those pokemons who I learned to appreciate more than the other members in this team. Directly from BW, rain's biggest nemesis, Gastrodon! Gastron, after an obscuring period in HGSS started to shine in BW where it was one of the worst problems for rain teams because of it's bulkyness in conjunction of a typing weak to only one type and a respectable trait! Unfortunately in XY, with the absence of perma-weather, sunk already into oblivion...until I decided to try it! I think it could be considered a sort of Universal Check! There's nothing able to tank it (ok, don't say "b-but bullet seed Breloom!!!" because you know it is not the case to blame Gastrodon, if it can't tank it) it is annoying like only a few pokemon can be...the defensive evs allow it to become a good switch in on Keldeo (be careful for the Sub CM, should be handled with Togekiss then only after with Gastrodon). It also checks many pokemon, such as Diancie and Lopunny, 2 of the most common megaevolutions in ORAS and cripples grasses (only safe switch ins) by burning them violently with Scald. The burn, also, it is like a key to win for this team, since the team could be considered a status spam on first place, and a wow spam on a second place due to a fwg core able to burn any sort of entry.

Mad Lantern (Gourgeist-XL) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Frisk
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Protect

I couldn't find a Gourgeist Gif... rip. Gourgeist was on the first XY OU team I ever built and since then I always loved it for it's natural bulkyness. With this set it could seem inferior to an eventual classic set, but once you take out those few pokemons immune to status or residual damages, this pumpkin is an istant win thanks to it's more unique than rare ability to make even the calmest people rage. Subs onto many common OU threats, such as Ferrothorn and Landorus-T and then a real hell starts for the opponent, that will force him to weaken many of his pokemon between status and seeds while Gourgeist does his easy job under it's sub.

Crazy Fire (Rotom-H) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 144 SDef / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Pain Split

Rotom-H is one of the most underrated pokemon in this metagame. It checks many things that are in this metagame, by starting from Lopunny then Gardevoir and ending with Thundurus...even Rotom contributes to maintain stability to the team by giving an important volturn move that makes it gain momentum while also offering it's burn support. I added it in particular for pokemon like Charizard Y, Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Rotom-H attracts with his volt switch pokemon capable to let Mega Garchomp set up, like for example Heatran on which Garchomp will be able to sub and dance happily.

Insane Love (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

Pokemon who I am totally addicted to since it can check a huge amount of pokemon, even the most dangerous ones , and since it has also an awesome bulk that allows me to win games thanks to it's precious paralyze. Togekiss, thanks to it's new Fairy type gained in XY, it is able to become a particulary difficult enemy for pokemons like Latwins, but even Dragonite and dragons in general, expecially Garchomp, who sees in Togekiss it's nemesis and gives me a free defog other than a safe switch in. A very sweet counter, with Rotom-H, of the new-arrived Serperior, who fears it's paralysis and doesn't scare Togekiss with none of it's most commonly used moves.

Lethal Chopper (Garchomp) (F) @ Garchompite
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 192 HP / 96 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Mega Garchomp is a pokemon that I used to hate in the beginning, because I'd have bet anything that it could become one of those cheap and undefeatable dragons who used to torment BW. However, the introduction of the fairies avoided this eventuality completely and the poor little dragon remains OU only for it's original form, and obviously not for it's megaevolution. But is it really that weak? Absolutely not. It's one of the most bulky and dangerous pokemons I have ever seen. With a little investment in HP his sub is able to survive to Ferrothon's main stabs, to Slowbro's Scald, to Lopunny's Fake out, to Azumarill's Aqua jet, CB Talonflame's and Scarf Landorus-T's U-turns...and with a not so bad speed and a respectable attack it is able to deal absurd damages, expecially when against opponent's sand...

Cute n Evil (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 228 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Iron Head

After Aegislash's ban, Jirachi's usage increased a lot when there was the need of a Mega Gardevoir counter and another counter of Latios and Latias. Jirachi, even though mine has run dry and never flinches, becomes often one of those things you can rely in when you are losing a match, by abusing it's dangerous(?) iron head and it's ability that doubles flinch chances. Jirachi is also the Stealth Rock setter of the team and an important source of wish supporting, useful for pokemon like Mega Garchomp and Gourgeist. If Gastrodon checks Diancie, Jirachi could be considered a real counter of that obscene stall ruiner.

(Rotom-H) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 144 SDef / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Pain Split

(Jirachi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 228 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Iron Head

(Garchomp) (F) @ Garchompite
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 192 HP / 96 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

(Gourgeist-XL) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Frisk
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Protect

(Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

(Gastrodon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic

Shoutouts to:
- amber lamps that helped me with the team testing phase and with the RMT
- Zeno that realized the wonderful opening image

Snowy ♥

hey great to see these uncommon mons as a team! nice build :)
when i look at this team, i found that +1 Zard X can OHKO all ur mons after stealth rock if ur Gastrodon is weaken while ur Gastrodon can never OHKO Zard X (but its not very common)
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 108+ Def Rotom-H: 222-262 (73.2 - 86.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 321-378 (86.9 - 102.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 261-307 (61.4 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Yeah but generally if u see a char x, you've to prevent Gastrodon or Togekiss from every kind of damages...

I also tried to post some replay facing CharX + Bisharp and Gengar but someone deleted it o_o rip.
Mega Gyara imo is the only problem, species if sub.... but Char X and also Bisharp are not a problem o_o don't defog til bisharp is ded or spam Twave and then defog. Gengar is just a bit annoying but gastrodon take around 51 % from its Shadow Ball (life orb) recovering with Lefties.
And for megasableye i've Togekiss + MegaChomp (subbing on a wow and then EQ is OHKO +2)

Last edited:
Hey Snowy :) It is a really nice team, but there are a fair number of serious weaknesses. Zard-X was mentioned, although the max defense spreads on Gastro and Kiss alleviate it to an extent. Gengar is horrible, since you have two Ghost weaknesses and no solid switch, though it doesn't get too many opportunities to come in. Bisharp, likewise, threatens half the team with its STAB's, can threaten a Defiant boost to stop Togekiss from Defogging, and again doesn't have any great switches. M-Chomp takes upwards of 40% from Iron Head / Sucker Punch, so its shaky, even with Sub for dodging Sucker Punch. Rotom-H takes 60% from Knock Off. It's just a huge problem. BD Azu also looks like a loss if it can set up, then there's DD M-Gyarados... basically there are a lot of threats.

Next to Bisharp, the biggest problem is stall. You said M-Garchomp was added as a stallbreaker, but the set being used is completely walled by Skarmory and Unaware Clefable, and checked by a bunch of other stall staples. The team as a whole completely loses to common stall cores like Chansey / Skarmory / M-Sableye.

Anyway. M-Garchomp definitely looks like the weak link to me. It doesn't do much defensively or offensively, at least on paper. Finding the perfect replacement is a bit difficult though, especially when you're looking for a one-mon answer to stall.

I'd suggest first of all trying M-Heracross > M-Garchomp, since it covers Bisharp and stall pretty effectively. You can use Keldeo, which is better in terms of threat coverage, but will still be an auto-loss against decent stall teams. Whether or not these changes work, you should play around with the defensive core a bit and see if you can't find some improvements. If you'd like, I can make some suggestions tomorrow once I've had a decent sleep. In particular, the lack of any revenge killing ability or an Unaware mon is really scary.

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, I do genuinely like the team a lot. Hope I helped a bit :)

Hey, nice team. Although pretty weak to Gengar, it seems like it could handle very well.

One thing I noticed though is that Gourgeist is complete Taunt bait. Especially since Taunt can go through Subs and stallbreakers frequently carry it, so if you run into a Taunt MegaEye variant, who can bounce back Leech Seed, Gourgeist is complete dead weight until you can safely get Mega Chomp in without being burned. I would suggest running Giga Drain or Shadow Ball over Protect, the former letting you add to your recovery and the latter letting you deal some decent damage to Gengar on the switch with both removing your Taunt weakness. I know Leech Seed recovery is nice and all, but otherwise Stallbreaker Sable and Gengar completely decimate you.

I personally wouldn't recommend changing the EVs though, Gourgeist's primary goal is to wall stuff.

hey cool looking team wanna try this ingame for fun can you tell me what the speed on chomp is for? cause I thought running less speed only enough to outspeed bisharp which is like 60 or more evs left to put in hp or defense to make substitutes bulkier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)