Tournament OM Grand Slam III - Playoffs [Won by Hamhamhamham]

Hello friends! After intense battling across six opens, we're left with the last eight competitors as we start the final rounds of Other Metagames' third Grand Slam! The top eight will duke it out in a best of five series of Almost Any Ability, Anything Goes, Balanced Hackmons, Camomons, Mix and Mega, and STABmons, where the higher seed selects one format to drop. The higher seed also chooses which tier is played first. The remaining games will use the standard "loser picks next" deciding order.

Standings
1/ Fardin
2/ Hamhamhamham
3/ Jrdn
4/ Megazard
5/ Catalystic
6/ Racool
7/ Akashi
8/ Quantum Tesseract

Catalystic, Megazard, and Racool are tied on 17 points so their positions were determined by W/L ratio. Quantum Tesseract won a tiebreaker against Highlord.

Round 1:
1/ Fardin vs 8/ Quantum Tesseract
2/ Hamhamhamham vs 7/ Akashi
3/ Jrdn vs 6/ Racool
4/ Megazard vs 5/ Catalystic

Round 2:
1/ Fardin vs 5/ Catalystic
2/ Hamhamhamham vs 6/ Racool

FINALS:
5/ Catalystic vs 2/ Hamhamhamham

Thank you to h_n_g_m_n for contributing the artwork for this entire tournament!

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Definitely dropping BH
e: playing thursday

Last edited:
Predictions:

Fardin vs Quantum Tesseract: If I chose the drop, I'd give myself pretty good odds, but Fardin is indubitably the better ag player and about as good at other tiers bar bh, so it's definitely leaning towards him
Hamhamhamham vs Akashi : While I wouldn't bet on Akashi against most of the rest of these players, against Hamhamhamham his knowledge of all OMs involved is telling. I have confidence Ham can pick up the W in ag and AAA, so it could go either way, but it seems likely that Akashi will win the other three metagames.
Jrdn vs Racool: It's really a close one, I don't even want to call it. Jrdn is the OM got but Racool is a really great player herself. If Racool doesn't get hax and lose her cool, I think she has good odds, but that's an ever-present fear in her games.
Megazard vs Catalystic: Two AG auth playing here. This could very well have gone to cata if he had the higher seed since he plays BH more than MZ does, but as is I think this one is going to be firmly in Megazard's favor.

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fardin (60) vs Quantum Tesseract (40)
Fardin's inevitably gonna drop BH, which takes away Quantum's biggest advantage in this matchup. They're around the same level in MnM with a slight edge to Fardin, but Fardin is better in AAA and AG. Quantum and Fardin probably have equal chances at Camo, with a slight edge to QT, and I think QT's also got a slight edge in STABmons. I don't think this is going to be as much of a landslide as people expect it to be, though - To my knowledge, Fardin's the all around more experienced player, but Quantum can definitely put up a fight depending on how his form is the day of the series.

Hamhamhamham (50) vs Akashi (50)
I'm not really sure how to predict this this is kinda a weird pairing, Jeran's better in BH but ham's gonna drop that for sure. Can see Jeran taking MnM, but AAA and AG probably go to Ham and nobody except jrdn plays Camo so I can't tell who would win there. STABmons is probably going to Jeran as well, so in the end I guess it comes down to who's taking Camo. This is gonna be an interesting series to watch between two well known tours room users, though.

Jrdn (55) vs Racool (45)
As the only person of the Camomons playerbase, jrdn definitely has a huge advantage there. AAA is really a coin toss - I think jrdn is marginally better, but racool isn't a pushover either. STABmons probably goes to racool, as she has overall more practice in that area, but they're actually close to each other in terms of skill there that I can see either taking it. Mix and Mega is probably going to former councilman jrdn, as he just builds the tier more and racool hasn't built in months so she's either stuck with that one team or stuck with a team that she built after a bunch of rust, unless she tests a lot. AG is pretty certainly going to racool, though, since she actually plays the meta and has a lot of experience in it. In the end, I think jrdn is taking Camomons and Mix and Mega, while racool is taking AG. AAA and STABmons are up for grabs, STABmons with a slight edge towards racool and AAA with a slight edge towards jrdn. Either way, one thing's for sure - No one side will have an easy time in this matchup and it should make for an interesting series to watch with both players being pushed close to their max.

Megazard (45) vs Catalystic (55)
Gonna go with the upset here. I think Cata's an extremely underrated player - He did well in Camomons open, held his own against the winner of the AAA open and did decently in MnM. AG is really anyone's game - From what I've seen, both players are good and that game will definitely be a treat to watch. Megazard's taking STABmons though, and possibly MnM. I think it'll come down to who takes the AAA and MnM games.

Fardin

Tournament Banned
Lost bh but won camo mnm and stab, ggs
E: Ggs out of respect * wanted to avoid this stuff in playoffs thread but since u brought it up I might just tell it. Idt any of the "luck" mattered. It just gave u something to blame the games on and play the "what if" game. Lots of small hax turns into something big lol also u needed rolls to have chance, idc if those didn't work out for u. Don't rely on em to much

Last edited:
Lost bh but won camo mnm and stab, ggs
E: Ggs out of respect * wanted to avoid this stuff in playoffs thread but since u brought it up I might just tell it. Idt any of the "luck" mattered. It just gave u something to blame the games on and play the "what if" game
When you hax every game and take 10 minutes in the middle of a set to build but still say ggs

E:
Mnm: lunala roll is unfortunate because it wins outright, but so were the rest of them. You got the 20% to live landot (
180+ Atk Aerilate Landorus-Therian Explosion vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Arceus-Dragon: 375-442 (84.4 - 99.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, then you proceeded to hax magearna to oblivion with a focus blast drop, four hits, an earthquake crit and a roll.

Stabmons: steam eruption miss against your most crucial mon, where even a min roll would prevent it from coming in on any of my pokemon.

Last edited:
Won in 5 vs Jrdn in a strange series. I cant say that the better player won, cos that would be a blatant lie, i got fortunate in a few matches with hax/mu, and in the deciding one Jrdn played far better than me and deserved to win imho:
g1: forgot to save the replay, tl;dr jrdn won despite having an unwinnable mu, simply because he played well and I didnt. I think it also in the end came down to a speed, but the fact that it even came down to speed ties is a testament to how badly i played late game.
g2: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-736679342
g3: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-736688129
g4: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7camomons-736694176
g5: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmega-736701331

S/O's: (ok these are kinda long-ish, but seeing as all these people gave me teams, and I didnt make a single one myself, I feel like this is necessary)
Quantum Tesseract - Thanks a ton for the MnM and Camo teams. Camo was a bit of a shot in the dark tbqh, ur team was exactly what I was looking for, the type that could randomly surprise jrdn with triple scarf. Unfort the mu was awful, cos jrdn's team was absurdly solid, but then I haxed him to win, and then choked ridiculously badly so yeah.... weird one. MnM stall team was pretty damn solid, but again I kinda deserved to lose that match, I got insanely fortunate, but thats more down to me being worse than jrdn, rather than ur team being worse than his. Thanks again!
Thimo - AGoat strikes again, ur team is so good wtaf, double tina stall is heat. I think I nearly did it a disservice by playing quite badly early game that match, and got bailed out by a wow miss, but honestly ur teams are just flames^2. I'm not sure if that wow miss decided the game, think I coulda still won but it woulda been a lot tougher, dont feel great about winning it that way ngl. Regardless thanks for the great team and thanks for the help!!
Adrian Marin - I actually love ur stall team, first stall team in aaa that ive seen in a while that I would actually consider solid af.
Official Fissure - thanks so much for responding for my team requests in the form of an overload of camo and stab teams. I ended up using one of the stab teams (the virginia stall one) although unfort I lost that match cos I decided it was a good idea to choke that match, but regardless thanks for the help :)

Finally I must apologise to all watching, and more importantly to jrdn, for bringing stall 4/5 matches. Sorry bout that.

Oh and if Fardin wins OMGS, im blaming you for choking that g5 Jrdn. Thats all on you.

lost was fun, havent enjoyed a game in a while
wish i could play more games like this in the future(ompl) but wouldnt be able to join due to real life and travels

was a clean and great series with no hax but i think 1 crit that didnt matter on my lando, wish i knew anything ag since that was a free w, will be an great addition to any ompl team

gl in rest,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)