OM Interviews (#16: In The Hills)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
* Some veteran players in Ubers playerbase deem this generation to be influenced by matchups more than ever. Does the same go for Anything Goes?
Hard to tell, we've only had 2 gens and last gen was just really, really busted and unique. We've had AG old gens rotations but I never got into them so can't say. I will say that AG is more matchup based than, say, PU, but that doesn't say an awful lot.
* Does existence of multiple Arceus formes reduce the creativity of teambuilding or is it rather one of the defining components of Anything Goes?
It totally could be both, I don't see how those are mutually exclusive. That being said, I don't think it increases or decreases creativity, it just is.
* What is the worst cancer in Anything Goes? Gothitelle? Mega Rayquaza? Evasion? Matchups? Others?
I'm defining most cancer as the most uncompetitive element, so the answer would easily be Baton Pass.
* Thoughts on Ubers metagame (or trying out if you haven't already)?
Reasonably enjoyable to occasionally play, can absolutely see why mains would slowly be driven nuts.
* Do you think Anything Goes will need analysis, as the playerbase is quite big?
We used to have them and I pushed for their removal as I was the only person who was actively working on them. AG has never been super alive on forums and we have Ubers analyses to go by for most mons anyway.

or
?
or
?
or
?
or
?
Ray>Gar (better mon by far), Don>DM (DM is better but its design is much worse and I've used don for a generation longer), Fairyceus>Darkceus, Marsh>Arceus (about the same viability atm, but cuter).
who is the cutest user and why is it jasprose
Everyone knows the cutest user is Dibs The Dreamer
is it memezard or megazard?
hahahahahahahhaahaahahhahahahahhhahahhahahahahahaahhaahahahhaahahah
the only funnier one is megayzard
Thoughts on thots
Couldn't care less, not like I have relationships with real people.
Thoughts on Chloe’s leaving note (Too soon?)
Should've been deleted, it was clearly just a ploy to gain likes and it's unfair she gets to keep that. But seriously, @ all the people who take it a lot more seriously than they should as some kind of judge of character, you don't know the full story behind it. That annoys me far more than the post itself.
are u megazard x or megazard y
Neither.

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Who do you think is the greatest in Generation 7 ( Post-USUM ) and why ?
Probably fardin? Nobody especially stands out as the best, more of a conglomeration of the people who make up the top players. Nobody's had any kind of a definitive reign or clearly standout performance, not even the dude you're trying so hard to blow.
Do you think bdov is secretly a born leader
No, that's not how being secretly something works. If she is, then I'll be surprised because I wouldn't know.
What was the most memorable battle you have ever had? (it can be any tier)
I really don't know, this isn't something I really pay attention to like other people. Recent things will stick in my head a bit (dat water shiruken game for example) but I don't really keep remembering things like that. Maybe me vs. Anty from PUPL 1?
What sparked you to first start playing competitive mons?
You can see how I found showdown in the interview, and from there I'm just generally a competitive player. If I play a game, I play it to be as good as I can. Now technically that would require being an OU main not someone into PU/OMs, but I enjoy those more. It's just within the metas I like playing, I am driven to be the best because that's how I do. For example, before I played mons, I was a competitive Chess player, tours with cash prizes and all that.
What is your favorite tour?
Probably last year's OMGS, winning kinda makes you feel much happier about things. Or maybe the one time the PU open was a real thing in Grand Slam, that was dope.
If you could give any mon any one move what would it be?
I don't tend to think like that rly. I suppose in terms of adding to AG, I'd like Zekrom to get Earthquake so it could be a real threat. Looking through my Sketchmons teams, Agility Buzzwole is a solid contender for something random and not too busted but that would add a lot to a mon.
who do you fuckin hate in smogon
Dundies. ik this isn't serious but everyone knows I do anyway.
whos the shittiest player uve played
WATER SHIRUKEN I'm so sorry
Do you act the same way here as you do in real life
Kinda? Overly literal, weird sense of humor, annoyingly dedicated to getting shit done, not afraid to be brutally honest, my general persona feels mostly the same. On the other hand, I'm a really, really quiet dude irl whereas here I actually tend to keep conversations going for quite a while.
what should replace camomons in the rotational? assume you cannot have something similar to an existing ladder (i.e. no sketchmons)
No idea, idt there are better OMs it's just that camo doesn't really stand out as even being marginally better than most OMotMs
thoughts on 1v1 and its involvement (or lack thereof) in major om tours
I'll probably be getting a better perspective on this with 1v1pl, but for the time being it seems like a good thing. When I did experiment with 1v1 it didn't do much to suggest a real competitive backbone, it never really overcame that idea that a lot of it was strategic coin flips with a bit of teambuilding involved. fwiw I was advocating for monotype at the same time because it actually did surpass my expectations by not showing itself to be all matchup, but so far 1v1 has never impressed. There are noticeably better/more successful players so there is almost certainly a degree of skill, but idk. It would also be very, very weird to put it next to most other OMs, but only mildly more than BH tbh.
are you going to volunteer to manage in the next ompl or do you still wanna play
I dunno, depends on if I want to play AG or not. At this point I could probably be a solo starter, but there are also enough good solo starters (most likely) and I don't have to prove I play AG anymore.
what’s the inspiration for your profile picture?
Image from a webcomic I like, actually the same webcomic the picture in the interview (smoking man-child) is from. I'm a big fan of Poorly Drawn Lines, it's just a very unique experience. fwiw I also follow SMBC and may have ripped other previous profile pics from there? But most of them have come from Poorly Drawn Lines for the past year+

Pick one from each
1. Playing AG / Looking at memes
2. Fortnite / PUBG
3. Being loved / Being respected
4. Being rich / Being good looking
5. Day / Night
6. IRL / Online

What are your aspirations?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Would you visit PS in 10 years for nostalgia?

AG becomes an official tier when?

MZ

Pick one from each
1. Playing AG / Looking at memes
2. Fortnite / PUBG
3. Being loved / Being respected
4. Being rich / Being good looking
5. Day / Night
6. IRL / Online
Memes (I'd take playing mons as a whole over memes but I can sacrifice just AG), neither (battle royale games are not my thing), being respected, being rich, day, online.
What are your aspirations?
I'd like to graduate college and get a job that I don't hate or do just for the sake of doing it, being able to do something I actually enjoy > being especially rich or successful.
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
No idea, I don't have a clear idea of a major or career path atm and I wouldn't be too bothered wherever I end up unless it's seriously unsuccessful.
Would you visit PS in 10 years for nostalgia?
Absolutely. Hell, I might still be around albeit having quit from official responsibilities.
AG becomes an official tier when?
No.

MZ

What enables you to successfully transition between generations of Balanced Hackmons 6-7? Then to USUM?
I'm fairly certain I've never played BH at a level one might call "successful". Or "competent". When your average level of play is best described as "semi-random clicks with no real semblance of comprehension of what's going on", the generational shift doesn't really change much.

MZ

Corrected post to ask:
What enables you to successfully transition between generations of Your Favorite OM between Gen 6-7? Then to USUM?
Megazard
Just play the new meta and keep up with it. There will be similarities and differences but it's still easier than learning an entirely new meta. Fwiw I also think you should drop your previous main meta if you don't like how it ends up. I got lucky in liking AG and PU between gens but I know people like false who dropped PU specifically because the new gen didn't feel as fun to them. But yeah, transitions between gens is something I've never really seen as an issue, even in going back and learning old gens like ADV PU and NU. Picking up a new metagame is the real challenge, any similarities it holds to something you already know can only make it easier.

So looks like we are (unfortunately) gonna be playing in playoffs r1...... so can we agree to smack bh with a ban hammer y/y?

Also, if its a good series, can I expect to see a megazard upload on yt? :P

On a completely diff note, I was thinking on unbanning bpass in sketch tbh, and reimplementing the old bpass clause. Idt anyone really found bpass as an issue, and it added a good deal of versatility to the meta. For one, it made msab + shed stall very viable and a menace to play against, which imo would be a good addition as stall generally tends to struggle more than offense in sketch. Also encouraged some really cool ideas, like for example: jrdn's p2 download pass team. Ik noone actually gives 2 shits about sketch, but were it to miraculously win omotm, would u be up for a bpass unban?

Oh and finally, I've wanted to change my name from this stupid name that I thought was cool when i was 13, for ages now. The like shop got me kinda excited, but then they rejected my name change request to coffee unfort, so now its back to the drawing board. Got any suggestions? :P

So looks like we are (unfortunately) gonna be playing in playoffs r1...... so can we agree to smack bh with a ban hammer y/y?

On a completely diff note, I was thinking on unbanning bpass in sketch tbh, and reimplementing the old bpass clause. Idt anyone really found bpass as an issue, and it added a good deal of versatility to the meta. For one, it made msab + shed stall very viable and a menace to play against, which imo would be a good addition as stall generally tends to struggle more than offense in sketch. Also encouraged some really cool ideas, like for example: jrdn's p2 download pass team. Ik noone actually gives 2 shits about sketch, but were it to miraculously win omotm, would u be up for a bpass unban?

Oh and finally, I've wanted to change my name from this stupid name that I thought was cool when i was 13, for ages now. The like shop got me kinda excited, but then they rejected my name change request to coffee unfort, so now its back to the drawing board. Got any suggestions? :P
Go to the shade shop in firebot

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
How should OMs solve the relatively unspoken issue of meta leadership constantly trying to balance the meta as best as possible, but metas that are absolutely broken are much more popular? Should we strive for balance or player-count? Seems as though there isn't a very good middle ground.

MZ

yh
Prob not. Since I get asked about this a lot by OM ppl, lemme just say that yt was always a for fun hobby, never about the channel. It became less fun once it got old, plus it's harder to rec at college, so I basically dropped the hobby.
No. Why would we let this back into the meta, especially when we wanted to be OU based in the first place? I don't see any good reason, it doesn't /really/ support or lead to any playstyles becoming relevant so it doesn't improve the meta. On paper this sounds like a change for the worse.
idfk, does it look like I have the best taste in names?
How do you feel about being a co-leader of AG?
Not much to lead tbh. I feel fine about it, glad I can work one another area of the site. I feel like AG needs what I can provide and I also enjoy doing it so yeah.
How should OMs solve the relatively unspoken issue of meta leadership constantly trying to balance the meta as best as possible, but metas that are absolutely broken are much more popular? Should we strive for balance or player-count? Seems as though there isn't a very good middle ground.
The broken metas becoming fun aren't wholly a product of leadership, idt it's something you can bring about if the meta isn't right for it. Bad leadership can ruin a meta that is fun, but it can't create that atmosphere of broken but enjoyable. I think meta leaders just need to recognize when they need to step in and ban things and when they need to stand back. Personally I think the former can be seen in current gen stabmons, the attempt is to leave broken things checking other broken things for that kind of fun meta but it translates into lackluster diversity and rather annoying games from my experience (although I fully understand others don't agree and think stab is much better).

So, you're getting @OM soon, seeing that DEG got himself an interview and went on to get @ soon after! :p So, grats in advance! Do you really think AG can get competitive at any point? And what's the one thing you would change about the Other Metas room?

Are you feeling healthy right now?

Do you think your life is meaningful right now?

If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?

Are you annoyed when you answer the questions above?

Do you listen to music? If so, what kind of music you listen to?

If I told you that in real world, aiming to get straight "A"s in school makes you dumber than the students who only got straight "C"s, would you agree? And why?

How's Baton Pass in AG?

What do you think about me asking these very same questions in all interviews?

MZ

So, you're getting @OM soon, seeing that DEG got himself an interview and went on to get @ soon after! :p So, grats in advance! Do you really think AG can get competitive at any point?
It is competitive. I assume you're asking this as someone who doesn't know and/or like AG, but to say it's straight up not competitive is just kinda dumb so idk? It's like I dislike BH and think it barely plays like Pokemon, but it still is clearly competitive.
And what's the one thing you would change about the Other Metas room?
Idk, I've never rly been a serious presence there and can't say much about it.
Are you feeling healthy right now?
Yes.
Do you think your life is meaningful right now?
Not really. I don't see that as a bad thing though. I enjoy my life, there's a clear path where it might eventually be meaningful, but while I'm not sure exactly how meaningful is defined, going to college and playing video games probably doesn't fit the criteria?
If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?
Just keep living my life. I'm not really concerned with meaningfulness as much as enjoyment.
Are you annoyed when you answer the questions above?
No.
Do you listen to music? If so, what kind of music you listen to?
Yes, but almost exclusively video game music or other stuff in long loops. I almost always dislike the presence of lyrics in music and I prefer long repeated loops of the same basic sound. This playlist isn't everything I listen to and doesn't have plenty of stuff on my phone, but I use it quite a bit, especially when I'm on PS/Discord. It's just something to do with my adhd or ocd but I've constantly got internal music playing in the back of my head, I'll be eating or talking to a friend while my brain is still playing some kind of sound loop of whatever happens to be stuck in my head at the time, and I've found it's better to be listening to a short, pleasant sounding tune meant to be listened to on repeat for hours like Delfino Plaza over a snippet of a longer song which is far too complicated to remember on loop.
If I told you that in real world, aiming to get straight "A"s in school makes you dumber than the students who only got straight "C"s, would you agree? And why?
No. Aiming to produce better work isn't an inherently bad thing, it can end up being bad but simply looking to do higher quality stuff isn't such an inherent negative where I'd be like "no ur probably worse than people who only put out average shit". Look at any remotely standout or famous persona as an example of that.
How's Baton Pass in AG?
It's just not competitive, one of those matchup based things that can and will win games at the highest level because Baton Pass is dumb.
What do you think about me asking these very same questions in all interviews?
Have you really asked everyone about Baton Pass in AG? Don't wanna go check but I'm sure Chloe must've interviewed someone who doesn't play AG

Mageic Master

Banned deucer.
I'm sure Chloe must've interviewed someone who doesn't play AG
Can't be bothered to check but I bet you a five bucks that only 1 or nobody doesn't play AG (that Chloe's interviewed).
How certain would you have to be to bet on something?
Other than PU, what non-oms/non-ag metas do you play?

MZ

Can't be bothered to check but I bet you a five bucks that only 1 or nobody doesn't play AG (that Chloe's interviewed).
How certain would you have to be to bet on something?
Fairly certain, not really into gambling with actual money on the line.
Other than PU, what non-oms/non-ag metas do you play?
I dabble in most metas, right now not a fan of OU/UU but I've been joining all the Ubers/LC seasonals, just played in RUPL, playing ADV NU in NUPL right now, and I don't really play battle spot but I do join all their circuit tours and stuff and qualified for playoffs last time. So basically all of them except OU.

Mageic Master

Banned deucer.
I dabble in most metas, right now not a fan of OU/UU
Wynaut?
Sorry, everybody sane hates OU, but why UU?
What's the most fun pokemon to use in AG in your opinion?
What's your favourite pokemon?
Did Chloe just ask you to answer loads of stupid question?
If so, WHY DID YOU SAY YES????!!!!

MZ

Wynaut?
Sorry, everybody sane hates OU, but why UU?
I'm just not a fan of either meta atm. It's got nothing to do with irrational OU hate, sorry compadre
What's the most fun pokemon to use in AG in your opinion?
Megaray.
What's your favourite pokemon?
Don't really have one, more of a list-ish kinda thing and even then I'm not that crazy over any of the individual ones. If you put a gun to my head maybe Rayquaza but that could change in a few days.
Did Chloe just ask you to answer loads of stupid question?
If so, WHY DID YOU SAY YES????!!!!
Why not? Seeing people actually interested in your dumbass opinions/preferences is ego++

MZ

How can we increase forum presence in the Ag community in your opinion
I really don't know. Forum activity is a community mindset thing, the AG community isn't really in a place where forum activity is a huge deal. That's not even necessarily a negative, just the way the community is. It's an important problem going forward, but not one I've put too much time into because it really involves changing people's outlook. Well ok I do have a couple of ideas I could toss out, but I'm not going to because spoilers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)