OM Interviews (#16: In The Hills)

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are you stepping down from OMPL like all the other managers (Except me ofc)

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Interview #10
drampa's grandpa

(source)​

Hi Drampa!
Hi!

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I’m a 23-year-old dude with a bachelor’s degree in theater (writing, not acting). I work at Staples part time and hang in the om room full time. My favorite color is purple, I’m obsessed with Terry Pratchett (he’s an author if you’re not familiar, although he recently died), and my favorite movie I’ll admit to in a family-friendly environment is probably Tangled. My favorite non-Pokémon video game franchise is Fire Emblem (Radiant Dawn is best game).

How did you get into Pokémon and OMs?
One of my earliest memories is my dad bringing home the first Pokémon anime episodes (on VHS lol). I got hooked and have never really left Pokémon. I’ve played every generation as they’ve been out since either gen 1 or gen 2. I got onto Smogon in 2013, when I started to google something along the lines of “good sets for [insert mons name here]” for in-game use and naturally found Smogon analyses. I played a bit of OU in gen 5, got bored of weather, moved down in tiers (UU then RU) and eventually over to Other Metas, where I stuck around.

What OMs have you been playing recently?
My main OM is STABmons, so I play that whenever able, but my most recently I’ve been playing a lot of OM Mashups (check out the Mashup Megathread hosted by moi here). What’s always attracted me to OMs is the way there’s constantly new oms and undeveloped oms where you can try new Pokémon and find new sets. I feel like the more standard oms lack that creativity unless you work at a high level, and I’ve never cared to hone my skill or meta knowledge in any one meta to that degree. Out of the mashups I play my favorites are AAA Ubers, STABmons Mix and Mega (or Stab n Mega) and Camomons AAA or CAAAmomons.

If you could pick any OM to give a permanent ladder slot to, what would it be?
STABmons would be my first choice. It’s been a ladder before, and is my favorite ‘real’ OM. My first choice that isn’t a current ladder of any sort would probably be Drampa Cup 1v1 Inheritance. I find Inheritance to be fun, varied, and inherently friendly to lots of playstyles with appropriate bans in place. It’s also popular, so I think activity wouldn’t be as much of an issue as it would be with most other metas; and it’s sort of like BH in that it doesn’t really get stale that easily due to the extreme numbers of potential sets.

Thoughts on OMPL VI?
Go Kois Heliolisks! While I’m sad that we’re out, I enjoyed the journey. I think the memes weren’t as good as OMPL V, but on the flip side there also seemed to be relatively less cancer. Being a manager gives a very different perspective from being a player though.

Were you happy with the draft?
Mostly. Over time the realization dawned that we had bought a few too many AAA players, which didn’t help either the team or their personal feelings of being necessary. We also didn’t have enough subs. That being said, I’m really happy with the people we did buy.

If you could redo it, what would you do differently?
Honestly, no offense to Adrian, but I would have bought someone else at that point in the draft. It wasn’t an efficient use of our funds to buy another AAA main, especially not for 9k when we had… I think 13.5k left. With that money I woulda liked to buy help building for Stresh, in his first big team tour, and they could preferably have worked with Gl Volkner and played during his biweekly breaks, and possibly shored up our lack of AG subs as well, but that’s asking a lot for one person. I suppose we could also have bought more than one person there, as I sort of underestimated the value of having large teams, lots of subs, and lots of teammates to bounce ideas off of.

Are you happy with your performance?
I think it can be improved upon. But I know I tried as hard as I could to keep the team motivated, in a winning spirit, and having fun, so I can’t be that unhappy. Hopefully I learned some lessons from this time if I decide to manage again. I did my best, I have no regrets.

The long wait between OMPL and OMGS is about to begin, if you could choose a third tour to slot in here, what would it be?
There’s been talk about the OM version of a World Cup of Pokémon, and that sounds cool. But what I would really like to see is a tour that gives some of the ‘second tier’ metas a chance to see some real competitive play. All our major tours feature the same selection of metagames, and I think it would be great if we gave some of our less played metas a chance to have an actual competitive scene beyond OMotM / LCotM and small forum tours.

Can you provide a niche set from your favourite OM and describe what it does?
I’m going to pretend mashups count and drop and AAA Ubers set here
Code:
Xerneas @ Choice Band 
Ability: Pixilate 
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Return
- Rock Slide 
- Close Combat 
- Night Slash
This isn’t your normal Xerneas set and shouldn’t be your default. Special Geomancy or Choiced sets are still generally more effective with abilities like Tinted Lens, Mold Breaker, or Magic Bounce. What this set does is lure in common checks and ko them, allowing other Pokémon on your team to take advantage of the holes its broken to sweep. Besides its potential for luring threats it’s also just a good band user, thanks to wide coverage options and having an actual stab option in Pixilate Return.

252 Atk Choice Band Xerneas Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 188-222 (47.2 - 55.7%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Xerneas Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 782-920 (120.1 - 141.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Xerneas Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Magearna: 175-206 (48 - 56.5%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Xerneas Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Ho-Oh: 400-472 (96.1 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Pixilate Xerneas Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 256-303 (67.1 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

GL Volkner asks: Why Drampa as opposed to another Pokemon?
Honestly the name came first. I liked the alliteration, and then the running joke started, and I never bothered to stop it. <3 Drampa tho. It looks doofy and silly and I like being silly.

jasprose asks: What's your opinion on ligma?
The more I Google it the more confused I get so I’m going to pass.

innovamania asks: Do you think boneless wings are just chicken nuggets?
No. Nuggets are lumps of meat that don’t come from an identifiable part of the chicken, and I am aware of how hyper-processed they are with every nibble of their tender flesh. Wings clearly belonged on an avian creature at some point in their history. There’s also usually a difference in size, which effects my experience in consuming the perfectly burnt bird carcass.

That being said I don’t really eat boneless wings much.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Feel free to ask Drampa questions below!

You've been in the OM room a long time, but only recently have you soared the ranks to moderator (and g-voice!). Can you talk about the difference - if any - in your experience and attitude on PS now that you have such a leadership role? Has it made you think or act differently?

Also, what's the best meal you've ever eaten?

Also also, you're a great PS user and we all appreciate you!! :D (he says, speaking for everyone on the site)

Do you think your life is meaningful right now?

If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?

Do you expect these questions coming?

Do you listen to music? If so, what kind of music you listen to?

What do you think about me asking these very same questions in all interviews?

Between Benjamin Butterfree with Blissey banned or Tier Shift with Ubers allowed (Extreme Tier Shift), what would you choose?

If you see someone managing a meta badly and you have the power to steal the ownership of that meta, what would you steal and what will you fix from that meta?

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
My favorite non-Pokémon video game franchise is Fire Emblem (Radiant Dawn is best game).​
I must point this out because I'm Ransei.
That being said, I heard about Fire Emblem's great similarities to the fantastic Pokemon game being Pokemon Conquest. Have you played Pokemon Conquest or if not, will you try it out someday?

It's a 10/10 Pokemon game I promise.

Am I your favorite RO?
Godly Gift or Tier Shift?
Linked or PiC?
There aren’t many new OMs these days. Do you think there’s still potential for a popular concept to appear or have we exhausted all avenues?
Who would you say is the MVP of the Heliolisks?
If one mashup were selected for LC, which would you want?
Did you enjoy playing in the OMPL or managing in it?
Was OM Room a good partner?
Who should be interviewed next?

Is Anaconja a good shitposter?
Who was the MVP of your draft? (Edit- Apparently I can’t read)
Where do you think you’ll be in a year? How about 5?

Last edited:
omg you're a playwright? Write me a play right now! jk

How long do you think you'll stay interested in pokemon?

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
is there a drampa’s grandma?

How often do you say the letter a per day?

In a battle between a single drampa and every single legendary to exist, how and why would the drampa win?

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Drampa, am I the best Ag player that has ever lived?
Yes
Drampa, am I the best Ag player that has ever lived?
Yes
You've been in the OM room a long time, but only recently have you soared the ranks to moderator (and g-voice!). Can you talk about the difference - if any - in your experience and attitude on PS now that you have such a leadership role? Has it made you think or act differently?
It feels different to be a mod then it does to be a driver, and different to be a driver than to be a voice, and different to be a voice than to be a regular user, and different to be a regular user than to be a room owner (that's the order right?). As a mod I feel more responsibility for the room, and feel the need to be more proactive than reactive in my approach to making the room and the community a better place. I also feel like I've been slacking for the last couple weeks due to low interest post-ompl and real life commitments (ugh work) but I hope to start working on some more stuff again soon, like banning Necrozma-Dusk Mane in AAA Uber and actually parsing out the results of that poll into something sensible >_>
Also, what's the best meal you've ever eaten?
My mom's cauliflower soup. It tastes vaguely like cauliflower and mostly like incredible amounts of artery-clogging cream and other dairy products. We have it every year on or around Christmas.
Also also, you're a great PS user and we all appreciate you!! :D (he says, speaking for everyone on the site)
:D <3
what is your excuse for making this post
༼ つ ◕____________________◕ ༽つ I have more shitposts than taste
Do you think your life is meaningful right now?
Not really. But I personally believe that 'meaning' is where you make it in life, so it's really on me to go out and make the changes I need to so I can find meaning where I always have: in my friends and my murder sprees.

If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?
oh lol i answered this

Do you expect these questions coming?
I mean I sorta forgot you did this but I'm not surprised.

Do you listen to music? If so, what kind of music you listen to?
Rock of all sorts, some Folk (mostly Folk rock tho), and showtunes. I'm sort of weird in that I didn't listen to any music until I was in like middle school. Idk why anymore.

What do you think about me asking these very same questions in all interviews?
"Why does Chopin as the same questions in every interview?"

Between Benjamin Butterfree with Blissey banned or Tier Shift with Ubers allowed (Extreme Tier Shift), what would you choose?
I would prefer ETS. I rather like metas where little mons can go toe to toe with Ubers, like 350 cup. I'm also not a huge fan of Benjamin Butterfree.

If you see someone managing a meta badly and you have the power to steal the ownership of that meta, what would you steal and what will you fix from that meta?
I ain't doin callouts bruh. I suppose there are some suspects I would like to happen in some metas. I think STABmons would benefit from a Thundurus suspect (I, not T), but the problem with STABmons is lack of general interest, not poor decisions by leaders.

I must point this out because I'm Ransei.
That being said, I heard about Fire Emblem's great similarities to the fantastic Pokemon game being Pokemon Conquest. Have you played Pokemon Conquest or if not, will you try it out someday?

It's a 10/10 Pokemon game I promise.
I haven't played it. I keep meaning to. I do wonder what mon will appear when I unite all the kingdoms though, it's so unclear looking at the map.

Am I your favorite RO?
If I say yes do I get a cookie?
Godly Gift or Tier Shift?
Have to say I prefer Godly Gift because it doesn't naturally prefer one playstyle over all others. Tier Shift is fun too though.
Linked or PiC?
Linked both because it's a cool meta and because I cannot for the life of me play anything Doubles related.
There aren’t many new OMs these days. Do you think there’s still potential for a popular concept to appear or have we exhausted all avenues?
Every time I think we've run dry of ideas a new really cool idea shows up and proves me wrong. I don't think we'll ever run out of potential for new metas, honestly. We just need to be able to think a little outside the box. And I don't mean coming up with wacky complicated mechanics. Look at Fortemons. It's conceptually pretty simple (even if the specifics are a bit complicated), fun to play although rather unbalanced so far, and brand new. I wasn't expecting any fun new metas for the rest of this generation, and I was proven wrong. I hope that we can get fresh new ideas out of both old hats and new blood in the om community and continue to refresh our repertoire of oms, because I think the OM community thrives on change and new oms. Unfortunately I suck at coming up with good oms ideas :(
Who would you say is the MVP of the Heliolisks?
I would have to say probably either shiloh, or tzop. I can't for the life of me remember who we subbed in more times but they both saved us from activity losses or empty slots so many times and had to play under unfortunate circumstances or in unfamiliar metas. Thanks both of you :)
If one mashup were selected for LC, which would you want?
Probably either Pure Hackmons due to its general popularity or AAA Ubers due to it being muh favorite. CAAAmomons is also a top choice that a lot of people who try it enjoy.
Did you enjoy playing in the OMPL or managing in it?
I think I prefer playing. Then again, maybe I just prefer winning lol.
Was OM Room a good partner?
Yeh he's p chill and actually knew what he was doing and stopped me making dumb mistakes. I already did my shoutout post though so I'm not redoing it.
Who should be interviewed next?
if geerat wins this week interview Sylveon. i m o. I feel like darksylvion would be a good choice, like Laxpras last year. G-Luke or Ludicrousity (or both together) could also be good choices to bring some more awareness to the Pet Mod community. Chloe could also try interviewing durza, but it might be tough to get him to stay on topic.

Is Anaconja a good shitposter?
What's a "good shitposter?" All you have is me and people who are varying grades of worse than me :3 (please don't ask me this ;-;)
Who was the MVP of your draft? (Edit- Apparently I can’t read)
OM Room was the mvp drafter
Where do you think you’ll be in a year? How about 5?
idk probably alive

omg hi big fan btw

i have no questions sorry

omg you're a playwright? Write me a play right now! jk
ACT 1
Scene 1
(Brodaha and drampa's grandpa stand on the stage. They are alone, except for the other people there, maybe.)
BRODAHA
Write me a play right now! jk
DRAMPA'S GRANDPA
No

FIN

How long do you think you'll stay interested in pokemon?
While I don't see the end in sight quite yet, I don't think I'll always stay as obsessed with Pokemon as I am now. The games themselves have lost a lot of their replayability to me, and my interest in the competitive community is tied with a rather negative correlation to my own social reclusiveness and in some ways to my (sorry to get serious on you) mental health. As I get out and about more and become more able to function on my own both in a practical, "I have a car / money and can go places" sense and in a "I am not a socially anxious troll" sense, I think I won't be on Showdown as much.

So basically. Not forever hopefully, but for the foreseeable future.

is there a drampa’s grandma?
Drampa reproduce by budding. The daycare is an unexplained phenomenon.

How often do you say the letter a per day?
Like, at least 3

In a battle between a single drampa and every single legendary to exist, how and why would the drampa win?
Drampa: *cutes*
Legendaries:
awww.jpg

Drampa:
drampa berserk.png

Omg hi drampa, big fan. What are your thoughts on my forum name still being TylerWithNumbers
Better than Tyleerr tbh

Have you bought a car
yeh a matchbox one vroom vroom

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I know you think Pet Mods are the peak of OM creativity, but which one currently is your favourite and why?

How was your high school life?

When are you gonna actually get that Pet Mod ur drafting up ready?

Best Gen 7 OM? And why?

Why is God's and Followers being ignored by the admins?

Rice or Beans?

Has anyone close to you been suffering from sugma?

Best OM mash-up in your opinion?

Thoughts on CAP OMs?

Do you think OMs are in good hands?

Why am asking so much questions?

Hello dramps

Are you a social creature?

Whenever you PM Chloe for a battle she be like 'nuu sorrey I busy' what are your thoughts on the fact that she's busy watching anime and/or trying to revive the interviews thread?

Which are the different animals of which you have eaten meat

Favorite among those

How often do you listen to music? Favorite genre? Artists? Do u liek Blackbear

Have you had any relationships (irl)

Will u be my garlfrand

Bring back CH?

If you were an OM leader what would be your first administrative decision

Are you regretting getting interviewed because you will now have to answer a million pointless questions which will get you nothing hahah

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Lies! Only one of these can be answered with a yes!
yes
I know you think Pet Mods are the peak of OM creativity, but which one currently is your favourite and why?
I like Megas for All. Because I like making megas for things, to the point where I had way to many in the og draft for the pet mod I told you I'm working on.

How was your high school life?
I actually liked high school. I stopped being quite as much of a butt as I was in middle school and started hanging out with people who were actually interesting and fun to be with. I got into theater and a number of clubs and it was honestly pretty alright. From my experience I feel like a lot of the worse high school tropes are actually things acted out by middle schoolers thinking they're being like high schoolers, while high schoolers are, by the large, not awful. But maybe that was just me.

When are you gonna actually get that Pet Mod ur drafting up ready?
When I stop being lazy. So never ig ;(

Best Gen 7 OM? And why?
I might have to say Almost Any Ability honestly, despite the fact that I don't do anything other than meme in it. I like that it has room for creativity without being the barely contained nebula of chaos that is BH. I'm always seeing interesting sets coming out of AAA, and that's what I like to see in a meta. I wish it wasn't dead and that I was actually any good at building for it, but eh.

I would say Inheritance, but a meta where bulky playstyles dominate like in the current Inheritance meta isn't something I enjoy playing very much. Maybe post-Cress Inheritance would be good ;)

Why is God's and Followers being ignored by the admins?
Probably because everyone else seems to be too.

Rice or Beans?
I tend to go for rice but I like both. I think rice is more generally acceptable, and is difficult to get wrong, while beans can be better when done right, but are often kinda meh.

Has anyone close to you been suffering from sugma?
I had a great pun to put here but it was kinda inap so I didn't. Also GL Volkner didn't get it ;-;

Best OM mash-up in your opinion?
Maybe Stabmons Mix and Mega? It's a lot of fun. although since it just had a tour I'd like others to get some time in the light. This changes depending on my mood tbh.

Thoughts on CAP OMs?
I think I'm bad at them. Seriously though, they're fun to play, but I think most OM people don't know CAP very well and vice versa, and that has hindered the few attempts I've seen at CAP oms.

Do you think OMs are in good hands?
The Immortal has no hands, he is a computer simulation programmed by Zaarlelerl. (Yes though)

Why am asking so much questions?
Why are you asking me >_>

How do you know they aren't the same person ransei? You should trust drampa's grandpa more.
Trust in me guys

Hello dramps
hoi
Are you a social creature?
I'm an introvert by nature. I enjoy socialization, but too much of it makes me feel exhausted. Also all my friends moved away when we graduated college D:

Whenever you PM Chloe for a battle she be like 'nuu sorrey I busy' what are your thoughts on the fact that she's busy watching anime and/or trying to revive the interviews thread?
Chloe's a weeb

Which are the different animals of which you have eaten meat
I've eaten rabbit and grasshopper besides the generic stuff.

Favorite among those
my favorite meat is Lobster probably. But that's hella expensive lol.

How often do you listen to music? Favorite genre? Artists? Do u liek Blackbear
I listen to music p often. I listen to rock and showtunes mostly, with some folk (Ik, I'm weird). My favorite artist is Creedence Clearwater Revival. idk who Blackbear is in relation to music.

Have you had any relationships (irl)
Yes. Twice. They were both gay lol, which ended up being a problem at least once given that I was a guy and they were girls :thinking:

Will u be my garlfrand
Given that the first result when I google "garlfrand" is entirely inappropriate for this website Ima say no.

Bring back CH?
#freech

If you were an OM leader what would be your first administrative decision
Make Drampa the official mascot of OMs. Second would be stepping down lol. My work here is done. *Vanishes in a poof*

Are you regretting getting interviewed because you will now have to answer a million pointless questions which will get you nothing hahah
Nah it's cool

Are Vivalospride and Fardin from two different universes?
yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)