Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Blue Flare / Earth Power / Focus Blast
- Strength Sap
- Taunt / Quiver Dance / Earth Power / Focus Blast

Pretty straightfoward, Mewtwo easily beats Zekrom's counters and checks such as Steelix, Ferrothorn, FC Etern, and Seismitoad, all with only Psychic and a move to cover Steels. It has great flexibility in its 4th slot, as well as having great utility in SSap Taunt etc. In conjunction with Zekrom's Spikes and the amount of switches the duo can force, they can wear down opposing defensive cores with ease. It's not like Pranksters could come in and stall turns either, given their great immediate power, as well as Mewtwo's Taunt shutting down Haze and recovery. I also choose Mewtwo over other Psychics like the Lunala above becuz its taken for its superior speed tier, outspeeding Zama-C and forcing out Etern, which both are among the best Zekrom checks.

One of the only few checks to both of these mons would be Ice Scales Zamazenta, which doesn't get 2HKO'd by Mewtwo's coverage while outspeeding Zekrom so it could stall Bolt Beaks after withstanding one and stealing its boosts. I hope I didn't get calcs wrong I'm sleepy ;-;
+1 252+ Atk Zekrom Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 309-364 (79.6 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ice Scales Zamazenta-Crowned: 151-178 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna need you guys to post more submissions thanks, I'll get the ball rolling with Fur Coat Darmanitan-Zen
:ss/darmanitan-zen:
Darmanitan-Zen @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Fur Coat
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Psystrike
- Worry Seed / Spectral Thief
- Shore Up
Darmanitan-Zen is a good partner for Zekrom for its ability to pressure some of Zekrom's defensive checks such as Steelix, while remaining a decent check to offensive threats that could hinder Zekrom's ability to set up like Darmanitan-Galar-Zen and Zacian-Crowned. Lava Plume is a strong Fire STAB move that can hinder opponents with the 30% burn chance, which allows Zekrom to set up more reliably while having constant chip on burnt foes. Worry Seed is really helpful at neutralizing opposing Poison Heal users, but Spectral Thief is another option that Darmanitan-Galar has to better stop opposing setup sweepers, while additionally allowing for more reliably secondary improofing to Zekrom. This is not meant to be the primary improof to Zekrom, mostly due to the fact that Bolt Beak is still majorly threatening to it after a Shift Gear boost, but also because Darmanitan-Galar has no tools to stop Imposter from setting up Spikes on it. This core does still struggle with both strong Ground-type attacks and bulkier Water-type Pokemon that Zekrom can't break, whether it be Seismitoad or a random Volt Absorb Water-type, so it's recommended to pair this core with something that can handle those such as Tangrowth or Golisopod.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Melmetal @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Haze
- Anchor Shot
- Entrainment
- Shore Up

Synergy:
Melmetal provides key resists to Zekrom’s Dragon weaknesses, and provides an Imposter check as well. Melmetal focuses on outlasting a trapped opponent, while removing their ability and their stats, so sweeps come to a halt, while Rocky Helmet punishes U-Turn and Flip Turn.
This can help open an opportunity for Zekrom, so it can sweep.

Overall Improof:
Haze, Trap, remove ability, and heal. By going first it cuts Bolt Beak in half, Entrainment removes Poison Heal against opposing PHealers that use Toxic Orb or if Imposter Zekrom was poisoned, as well as abilities in general, which is especially effective with Anchor Shot for maximum damage build up.

Overall:

Maximum Speed so it Anchor Shots before a minimum Speed wall can heal, since you are not using U-Turn. Imposterproof since it can stall it out with Haze, Rocky Helmet punishes U-Turn and Flip Turn users, as well as Triple Axel, Surging Strikes, etc. Multi-hit moves.

Melmetal has the physical Bulk to handle neutral hits.

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:bw/seismitoad:
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover

FC Seismitoad helps to improof its teammate Zekrom and force out Imposters with its nice STABs. Quiver Dance is cool because you outspeed most defensive Eternatus and Zama-C that opt for neutral speed natures. Its STABs pressure things that Zekrom hates, like healthy FC Eternatus and any Steelix variant. I chose Modest here to make it just a little stronger, but honestly it is still pretty weak as it barely guarantees a 2HKO on Zacian-C even after Spikes chip. You could also go for Timid here so that you outspeed DGZ after a Quiver Dance to make sure it can't brute force its way through your Fur Coat.

Edit (since I was in a hurry):
Improof this bad boy with something like PH Golisopod since Goli can pivot on it / punish it with status and then Zekrom comes back in for free too. While I'm at it I'll just build a team, is that what you want from me Chessking345??

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you to everyone who submitted, the submissions are as follows:
:zacian-crowned: anaconja with Zacian-C
:lunala: Chessking345 with Teravolt Lunala
:excadrill: Flaming Deoxys with Mold Breaker Excadrill
:mewtwo: lph with Sheer Force Mewtwo
:darmanitan-zen: in the hills with Fur Coat Darmanitan-Zen
:melmetal: Champion Leon with Prankster Melmetal
:seismitoad: a loser with Fur Coat QD Seismitoad

Voting is now up! Once again I will use my vote as an example:
1. anaconja
2. Chessking345
3. a loser

Voting ends 9/27! Vote for your favorite three submissions. As always people who submitted are welcome to vote, as long as you don't vote for yourself.

in the hills

spreading confusion
Thank you to everyone who voted! The winners are a loser in 1st place, anaconja in 2nd, and lph and In The Hills tie for 3rd. Your sets will be added to the Hall of Fame and Core Archive. Thank you!
Week 3: Glalitite Excadrill (Mix and Mega)
:ss/Excadrill:

Excadrill @ Glalitite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin​
You have until 10/2 (is it really almost October wtf) to submit your best partner for Glalitite Excadrill! As always reservations last for 24 hours so make sure to get them finished in a timely manner.

Hydreigon @ Absolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Roost

Hydreigon is an underrated breaker I have been using which teams rarely prepare for anymore. It exploits every common Excadrill counter extremely well, namely Slowbro, but also Palossand, Mew, and Jellicent. Absolite is a deviation from the previously used stones Blastoisinite and Gardevoirite as it fully walls Sablenite Blissey and provides a strong speed and special attack boost while avoiding a decrease in bulk which is important if Hydreigon wants to switch in on Lucarionite Chandelure. Earth Power is a highly effective secondary coverage option that hits Altarianite Arcanine, Magearna, Toxapex and the occasional Tyranitarite Terrakion. In the event that the rare Clefable or Ampharosite Blissey shows up to stop Hydreigon from breaking open teams, Excadrill does a fantastic job preventing these two from gaining Rocks and can also serve as an offensive Altarianite Arcanine or Magearna check if they come in on Hydreigon using something besides Earth Power.

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
:sm/rotom-wash:
EASY WASH OVEN (Rotom-Wash) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-Wash is a solid mon for Excadrill because it can switch in on bulky Water or Ground types like Slowbro and Hippowdon or faster mons like Lucarionite Excadrill and force them out. Additionally, it can serve as a more defensive switchin to Pinsirite Arcanine. In return, Excadrill keeps hazards off the field? idk i don't know mnm lol

Eli

any?
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
ya dong.png

Slowbro-Galar @ Cameruptite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Sludge Bomb
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Slowbro G (slow brog to xenoblade fans.....) helps out excadrill with its typing, both defensively and offensively. Poison/psychic resists threatening types like fighting for excadrill while being able to safely stay in on things like pex and terrakion thanks to its poison immunity, fighting resist, and super effective STAB in psychic, which is boosted by sheer force from cameruptite. Excadrill can take on opposing steels for Slowbro G like magearna and maybe one with its STAB earthquake while also providing hazard removal, which slowbro g can find itself vulnerable to. They are both weak to ground attacks as a core, so running a corviknight with them could also prove useful.

Redflix

Forgiven and Hanged
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Golisopod @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 212 HP / 200 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Leech Life
- Liquidation

Despite not seeing much usage after dlc , golisopod is an excellent partner to excadrill - being able to threaten it's checks such as mew,slowbro and Hippowdon. In turn , it appreciates exca being able to handle toxapex, keep away rocks with an unblockable rapid spin and checking manectite mag and clef. Defensively golisopod is the best switch in to body press corviknight - one of the popular checks to exca in the metagame and also to faster varients such as lucarionite or metagrossite exca.
The set is p straightforward with aqua jet to beat/weaken volcarona/chandelure etc.
88 spe is the min requirement so that u outspeed sable mew after mega evolving.
The core however struggles vs faster offensive threats like zacian/urshifu or even terrakion so should be paired with a defensive wall accordingly

So I'm not a huge fan of Rock Slide Excadrill, but if we're running it, we might as well make use of it.

Volcarona @ Absolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 112 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Volcarona is a solid offensive setup sweeper in the current metagame, but it's held back by a couple of glaring weaknesses that Excadrill can mitigate. Refridgerate Rapid Spin allows Excadrill to be one of the most reliable hazard clearers around, allowing Volcarona to make best use of its solid typing, Magic Bounce, and access to reliable recovery to come in multiple times throghout the match and set up. Thanks to its typing and EdgeQuake coverage, it can also force out Toxapex and Pinsirite Arcanine, two checks this particular Volcarona set struggles more than usual with. In return, Volcarona easily blows past the likes of Corviknight, Hippowdon, and Slowbro, who would otherwise easily wall Excadrill, and acts as a more reliable win condition.. Both sets have their issues with Terrakion and Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, however, so they pair well with pokemon like Teleport Slowbro or Mew that can handle those Pokemon without ceding too much momentum.

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Cloyster @ Altarianite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 244 Def / 128 SpA / 136 Spe
Lax Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Spikes / Whatever you want really
- Tri Attack
- Explosion

Cloyster should be able to check threats to Excadrill (such as Hippowdon, other Excadrill, Golisopod but you gotta explode after some tri attacks, and Arcanine). If Cloyster has already mega'd, it can check both Urshifu forms. Cloyster has enough special attack evs to ohko Hippo with 252 hp / 0 sp.def. and can ohko 248 hp / 4 sp.def Altarianite Arcanine (Pinsirite lives). I gave cloyster enough speed to outspeed no speed rotom-wash so you can hard explode on it if you know it is no speed. Explosion does enough to it so that rock slide from excadrill will ko it. I gave it teleport in case you know that your opponent is going to switch, but I honestly don't think I clicked it so maybe give it shell smash, (t)spikes, maybe rapid spin or life (do the) dew. I played some ladder games to test it out and it did do what I hoped it would. Not having recovery hurts cloyster, so I paired it with a wish teleport clef to try and keep it healthy. Cloyster's biggest weakness is that it takes like 90% to kill one mon, but that's all I need from it and if i get a boom off after that, it did its job in my eyes.

Alt Arcanine:
128 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Arcanine: 384-452 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 112-133 (46.4 - 55.1%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO (non mega cloyster)
252+ Atk Pixilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 84-99 (34.8 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Pixilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 126-148 (52.2 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

pinsir Arcanine:
128 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Arcanine: 318-374 (83 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 108-127 (44.8 - 52.6%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO (non mega cloyster)
252+ Atk Aerilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 79-94 (32.7 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 118-141 (48.9 - 58.5%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

Alt Hippowdon:
128 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 420-494 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
8 Atk Pixilate Hippowdon Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 76-90 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- 82% chance to 3HKO (non mega cloyster)
8 Atk Pixilate Hippowdon Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 69-82 (28.6 - 34%) -- 1.2% chance to 3HKO
+1 8 Atk Pixilate Hippowdon Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 112-133 (46.4 - 55.1%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO (non mega cloyster)
+1 8 Atk Pixilate Hippowdon Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 103-123 (42.7 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

Glalitite Excadrill:
128 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 450-530 (124.6 - 146.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 97-115 (40.2 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (non mega cloyster)
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 90-106 (37.3 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You can do your own Urshifu calcs. Biggest one to know is this one
252+ Atk Tough Claws Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 0 HP / 244+ Def Cloyster: 103-123 (42.7 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO (shell armor stops the crit). Mega up and eat a cc and tri attack back.

EDIT: I was using overcoat on ladder. Teleport is not compatible with shell armor but is with overcoat. So if you want to use teleport as the fourth move, you need overcoat.

EDIT 2: I have changed my evs to EVs: 236 Def / 128 SpA / 144 Spe beacuse with a shell smash set, you outspeed Salamencite Noivern

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
I'll post one last submission to finish of this week's submissions.
:urshifu:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Metagrossite
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike is a solid partner for Excadrill as the two can threaten pretty much the entire meta, and the two cover each other's checks well. Excadrill covers some of Urshifu's strongest checks such as Banettite Toxapex, Arcanine, and Manectite Magearna decently well, while Urshifu is able to pressure more offensive threats that can normally pressure Excadrill like Terrakion, Noivern, or opposing Urshifu. While Urshifu does also help with some of Excadrill's defensive checks such as Hippowdon and some Corviknight sets, this core definitely struggles to do anything significant against Slowbro, so it's important to patch up that weakness with the rest of the team.

Submissions are now closed, posting voting immediately after this

in the hills

spreading confusion
Submissions are now closed, thank you to everyone who submitted! The submissions are as follows:
:hydreigon: Andyboy with Absolite Hydreigon
:rotom-wash: anaconja with Latiasite Rotom-Wash
:slowbro-galar: Flaming Deoxys with Cameruptite Slowbro-Galar
:golisopod: Redflix with Aerodactylite Golisopod
:volcarona: Quantum Tesseract with Absolite Volcarona
:cloyster: Fissure with Altarianite Cloyster
:urshifu: in the hills with Metagrossite Urshifu-Rapid-Strike

You have until 10/4 to vote for your 3 favorite submissions. As always, people who submitted are allowed to vote as long as they do not vote for themselves, and as always I'll use my vote as an example of how votes should look like
1. Andyboy
2. Redflix
3. Quantum Tesseract

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)