Project OM Matchmaking - On Hiatus Until gen 9

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you to all who submitted! The submissions are as follows:
:zapdos-galar: Chazm with Magic Guard Zapdos-Galar
:mew: berry with Dauntless Shield Mew
:garchomp: In The Hills with Poison Heal Garchomp
:terrakion: Flaming Deoxys with Regenerator Terrakion
:barraskewda: Quantum Tesseract with Primordial Sea Barraskewda
:victini: Thinkerino with Desolate Land Victini
As always you may vote if you submitted, as long as you do not vote for yourself. And as always, I'll use my vote as an example.
1. Quantum Tesseract
2. Flaming Deoxys
3. Thinkerino

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congrats to Quantum Tesseract for winning this week! In The Hills comes in second, while Thinkerino and Chazm tie for third! Next week is BH!
Week 14: Aerilate Ho-Oh (Balanced Hackmons)
:ss/ho-oh:
Ho-Oh @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Extreme Speed
- V-create
- Recover​
The deadline for submissions is 1/8. You have 24 hours to finish your reservations so make sure to finish your posts in a timely manner.

Xerneas @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Spikes
- Quiver Dance
- Scorching Sands

Xern can come in on a lot of things that want to sit in front of ho-oh, like fat dragons, while ho-oh can put some pressure on steel types and ice scales mons. Xern is also a good knock off sponge which is appreciated by ho-oh cos it doesn't want to start dying to clandestine pebbles. Ho-oh can be a backup improof if xern gets too low and it can remove spikes that imposter set up. 'Tis good.

Eli

any?
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Thousand Waves
- Core Enforcer
- Haze
- Recover

Big Zyg is a good physically bulky compliment to Ho-Oh's special defensive stats. Their typings are also nice compliments to each other, Large Snake resists Rock and is immune to Electric, while Ho-Oh resists Fairy, Fighting, and Steel, and is neutral to Ice. Huge Dragon with Prankster can stop set up sweepers with Haze and easily keep itself healthy. Thousand Waves traps certain Pokemon that Ho-Oh doesn't like (including Imposter stuff). Ho-Oh can switch in on Xerneas, which is really threatening to Enormous Serpent with both Poison Heal and Pixilate sets. It can also switch in on non-Bolt Beak Zacian-Crowned and hit it with V-create. Having Rapid Spin frees up a move slot for Gargantuan Viper to be able to run Core Enforcer for another attack that can also disable annoying abilities like Poison Heal on Regigigas.

Last edited:
Zekrom @ Choice Band
Ability: Transistor
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Glacial Lance
- Flip Turn
- Stealth Rock / Grav Apple / Dragon Darts

Zekrom was the first pokemon which popped into my mind to create a duo with Ho-Oh because Zekrom resists both bolt beak and fishious rend which would otherwise ohko Ho-Oh, while Ho-Oh can help out Zekrom b/c it resists fairy and is immune to ground, which Zekrom is very much weak to. I was originally going to use pheal Zekrom for this set because it served as a good improof for Ho-Oh and can make solid progress, but then I figured, why not just go for something extremely threatening, so that's what I did. Here I have transistor Zekrom, the more offensive Ho-Oh improof. With a free switch into the game off impostered Ho-Oh, Transistor Zekrom threatens to kill a mon on the spot as it can ohko +def Zamazenta-Crowned & 2hko Ferrothorn. Zekrom can also be ran with Adamant too, if a 2hko on giratina via Bolt Beak is a desired, however, Jolly allows you to out speed Modest Xerneas which can be pivotal in a game. Flip Turn is used for momentum and Glacial Lance is to hit Zygarde / grounds. Stealth Rock can also be used to get hazards up for free, grav apple is an alternative to hit Swamperts, and dragon darts allows Zekrom to hit the the Kyurems & opposing Reshiram / Zekroms super effectively. These two together can put a lot of pressure on the physically defensive backbone of a team as the majority of the meta will be hit superefticely by one of either Bolt Beak, V-create, or Glacial Lance. With proper speed control these two can be an extremely strong duo in an Offense / Bulky Offense team complimenting each other both on the defensive and offensive end of things

Last edited:
:kyurem-black:

Kyurem-Black @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Bone Rush
- Shift Gear
- Bolt Beak

This kyub can dish out loads of damage after a boost with 125bp stab that has 40% chance to flinch, easily ohko'ing zygod hooh etc while bringing down fc tina zamac etc to low health, which helps hooh in cleaning with espeed. hooh provides reliable spin support in return, and also checks xern + fat steels for it.

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:palkia:
Octopus's Garden (Palkia) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Fishious Rend
- Dragon Energy
- Glare

This Poison Heal Palkia both improofs Ho-Oh and pressures things Ho-Oh hates, like Giratina, Zekrom, and Zygarde-C. It also stomachs Fishious Rend quite well and can scout certain Bolt Beak users with Baneful Bunker, though it can't just switch in to Bolt Beak casually since it has a negative defensive nature. I was hesitant about Dragon Energy but this move is really good and pairs nicely with PH. You don't always get full power but it is usually enough to out-damage things like Draco Meteor and Clanging Scales. Glare is good because paralysis is broken and annoying and you can cripple things like Normalize memes or anything you can't poison, like the crowned dogs. Improofing can get sketchy, but once Imposter is paralyzed they aren't having any fun stealing this set. I've backed it up with RegenVest Zama-C who outspeeds Palkia and can mess with it first before taking a Glare in a pinch. Palkia's Speed tier is actually really nice too.
Here's a replay of Palkia putting in work
Here's another replay

Last edited:
Eternatus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Modest / Timid Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Blue Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Knock Off / Switcheroo

Eternatus can just bust through all sorts of stuff with Dragon Energy, with the exception of those pesky fairies, which Ho-Oh can switch in on. Blue Flare lets you kill Magearna and Zacian-C on the switch. Pair it with a wish passer and a mon to take bolt beaks from Zacian-C, and you're good to go! Did I mention that Eternatus enjoys Ho-Oh's Rapid Spin support? Did I also mention that No Fur Coat wall, that Ho-Oh lures in, wants to take a Dragon Energy? Flash Fire Magearna can wall the entire core, so you'll probably want a strong ground type to deal with it, but it's also so passive that you can just get hazards set up on it or something.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
:sm/yveltal:
Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Oblivion Wing
- Earth Power
- Spore / Strength Sap / filler

pairs well with hooh cause he stops xern from qding or w/e and removes hazards while yveltal wins, because thats pretty much what it does. also gives u a better calyrex answer because that kills hooh (reason i dont like using him). anyway the moves are to win games, pretty simple. remember to bring a good zacc counter and a zygc answer and a decent hazard setter and a secondary calyrex shadow wall and the best elec reisst in existence nad a yveltal imprpof and a hooh improof and a ph regi answer and a secondary xern answer that doesnt lose to sap and a water resist and a glance resist and a better vcreate resist and

in the hills

spreading confusion
Thank you to everyone who submitted! The submissions are as follows:
:xerneas: willdbeast with Poison Heal Xerneas
:zygarde-complete: Flaming Deoxys with Prankster Zygarde-Complete
:zekrom: XxSevagxX with Transistor Zekrom
:kyurem-black: lph with Skill Link Kyurem-Black
:palkia: a loser with Poison Heal Palkia
:eternatus: SuperSkylake with Dragon's Maw Eternatus
:yveltal: cityscapes with Triage Yveltal
Voting closes 1/10. As always you may vote if you submitted, as long as you do not vote for yourself. And as always, I'll use my vote as an example.
1. willdbeast
2. Flaming Deoxys
3. a loser

in the hills

spreading confusion
Congrats to a loser for winning this week! willdbeast comes in 2nd with lph in 3rd. Next week is AAA!
Week 15: Magic Guard Blacephalon (Almost Any Ability)
:ss/blacephalon:

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Trick​
The deadline to submit a partner for Blacephalon is 1/15. As always, reservations last 24 hours, so make sure to finish your posts in a timely manner.

Eli

any?
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Zarude @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- Bulk Up
- Protect

Zarude is a good offensive partner because it can deal with Pokemon like Tapu Fini for Blacephalon, while being able to passively heal and not worry about burns from moves like Scald. It is also able to take on big specially bulky Pokemon like Snorlax and Blissey thanks to its strong STABs and set up in Bulk Up. Its typing is nice for resisting Water, Dark, and Ghost with its decent bulk, in addition to Poison Heal to heal off some damage done to it. After its orb poisons it, it can freely switch in on moves like Scald and Knock Off without worrying about the damage or effects.

Blacephalon can nuke opposing Steels for Zarude, which it can struggle with killing if it isn't set up. It can also Trick its Choice Scarf to things like Blissey to make it unable to deal with it setting up, though Zarude can also do so if necessary. Thanks to its speed with Choice Scarf, it can outspeed and revenge kill Pokemon for Zarude, like Noivern and Alakazam. While it may not be too bulky, its typing lets it resist Fairy and Fire, and has a Fighting immunity, all of which can be helpful for Zarude in a pinch.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)