Dog (Garchomp) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Thousand Arrows
- Poison Jab
- Crunch
So, I noticed that it can't touch electric types, and crunch for ghosts.
Just a small note: Thousand Arrows is restricted in STABmons, so a different Ground move would have to be used, most like Precipice Blades.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ANNOUNCEMENT - WE'RE BACK BABY
Yep yep, we're back in business here! I've decided to change things up a little this time around to make it easier on myself and give everyone more time to post. The changes to the project are as follows:
  1. The rotation of metagames is now Almost Any Ability/Balanced Hackmons/STABmons. I decided to remove Mix and Mega and Camomons from the project for the time being due to low interaction during the previous iteration of this project.​
  2. The Voting Stage of this project has been removed. There's a number of reasons for this, largely due to the voting stage requiring a certain number of submissions and taking a chunk of time away that could be used for more submissions. Instead, I will be choosing the sets that enter the Hall of Fame at the end of each submission period (sets will no longer be ranked and I will be choosing as many as I feel are good enough).​
  3. With the voting stage gone, Submissions Stage will now last a full 7 days, ending on Fridays.​
Without further ado, here is Week 29's prompt for Almost Any Ability:
Week 29: Sheer Force Tapu Lele (Almost Any Ability)
:ss/Tapu Lele:
Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball​
This week you have a little extra time, the deadline to submit a partner for Tapu Lele is 12/10 (my birthday :3). As always, reservations last 24 hours, so make sure to post in a timely manner.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
:ss/Genesect:
Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

This is a predictable but reasonably effective pairing. The idea is that Tapu Lele can typically just click the strongest move vs pretty much everything, so it rarely has to predict. Genesect (in particular this regen set once revealed) enables this even further by luring in Pokemon like Tapu Lele, Swampert, and Heatran--all prime candidates to get with an OHKO from Lele's coverage. Additionally, Genesect makes for decent speed control since it can actually check opposing SFLO Lele and is really only outsped by Scarfed Azelf, which isn't very difficult to account for with the remaining 4 slots of the team. This isn't the most broken partner or anything, but it certainly makes for very easy-to-pilot play.

Last edited:

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Look. I'm a simple they, when I use brokens, I just like to click U-Turn one-billion times so I can bring my broken in as many times as possible and win. For that reason, I propose:

:ss/mienshao:
Mienshao @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off

The idea behind this + Lele is pretty simple. Mienshao is able to force quite a few switches that would be favorable to Tapu Lele, such as Mew, (some) Tapu Fini, Corviknight, etc. In turn, when one those switches comes in (if you predict correctly), you're able to click U-Turn and then bringing in Lele to click buttons. Both work to help bait in the others checks, letting you pivot 5 billion times and make progress versus most defensive cores. Mienshao is also able to make progress against stuff like VAbsorb Toxapex which can be troublesome for Lele, and can also spam Knock, which is always favorable for any breaker. This core is a tad slow, so some speed control would be necessary to make sure you don't lose to fast stuff. Cheers :)

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Expanding Force
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Trick / Fire Blast

Azelf makes a fantastic offensive partner for Tapu Lele. In addition to being a great speed control option (a must for teams relying on slow breakers like Lele), it can draw out many of Lele's checks and Knock Off their Boots or Assault Vests, allowing Lele to muscle through defensive cores more easily. It can also U-turn to bring Lele in safely multiple times per game, usually on a slower threat that Lele can threaten to KO. Lastly, Azelf is an amazing cleaner due to its speed tier, immunity to priority, and the power of Expanding Force, allowing Azelf to finish off teams that have had their core crippled by Lele.

Last edited:
:ss/zarude:
Zarude @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Zarude provides much-needed speed control support and is great at getting Tapu Lele on the field. The threat of grassy glide and darkest lariat are usually enough to force switches to specific defensive pokemon, such as corviknight, kommo-o, ferrothorn, skarmory, and mandibuzz, all of which can be u-turned on for lele to be brought in. Slower teams looking to limit lele with hazards also find this much more difficult with grassy terrain negating rocks/1 layer spike damage, and meanwhile lele still generally threatens the same ohkos and 2hkos even with terrain up. Terrain also gives energy ball a significant boost against spdef fini, although this is somewhat situational.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tapu Lele Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 221-260 (64.2 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tapu Lele Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini in Grassy Terrain: 283-335 (82.2 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Last edited:
Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

its a pretty simple idea for the set itself. a lot of lele's problems come from the fact it's easy to beat with faster threats such as terrakion, scarf genesect, and talonflame. so why not just paralyze them? blissey also makes for a great partner defeensively, able to beat non-taunt desotran, specs psea dos, most variants of azelf(be careful of trick), and non-sub blacephalon. seismic toss may also chip things such as assault vest garchomp and silvally dragon into range for a lele moonblast kill.

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
Submitting dragonvally
:ss/silvally-dragon:
Silvally-Dragon @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Poison Fang
- Flamethrower
Dragonvally is a good partner for sflo lele, as it can pivot it in on mons it can force out like corv, which lele loves. Dragonvally can also check regen gene, which is otherwise a major annoyance fr lele.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
:ss/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect / Taunt

Shoutout to UT, our newest roommod, for passing the set ^_^

Heatran can do several things for Tapu Lele. It heavily pressures any Corviknight. Heatran can also check Genesect for Lele. It can set rocks reliably shoring up breaking opportunities against Pokemon like Chansey (maybe not the best example) and Regenerator Blissey, which is one of Lele's best checks (s/o UT for this again) and chip many pivots bringing them into OHKO or 2HKO range.

In general: Heatran removes special walls, checks Steels, and chips everything like four different ways (Hazards, Magma Storm trapping damage, Toxic, and, you know, hitting them with attacks).

This offensive core is super slow, so it wants some form of speed control alongside it. It also relies on hitting moves that don't hit (because they're not 100 accuracy) to remove Steel types.

Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong about anything; AAA knowledge isn't really my strong point, and I'd rather this information be accurate and non-misleasing. ^_^

shoutout Osake for getting sniped <3

Last edited:

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
1638962819780.png

1638962842433.png

I'll take my revenge.

:ss/talonflame:
Worst Bird Ever That Doesn't Deserve To Exist (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

The idea behind this set is to use the potential of threat of Talonflame with SD, as a sweeper, to force switches on the defensif walls, and bring in Tapu Lele with U-Turn, while providing a good Speed Control option, Talonflame being the 3rd fastest Pokemon of ther tier, behind Tapu Koko and Barraskewda, and some users of the Choice Scarf. Swords Dance is useful to have a real offensive presence and to facilitate a clean in late-game, but Flare Blitz is also a good option to cover Tapu Koko and not let it come freely -once the set is revealed-. The goal here is to pivot out with Talonflame on its answers or soft checks, such as Swampert, Tapu Fini, Toxapex, Corviknight Flash Fire, Zapdos Primordial Sea, or Dauntless Shield Mew (that's a long list ik but it's to prove that Lele can really threaten most of Talon answers), and either bring Tapu Lele directly on the field to threaten them, or weaken them a bit before with Talonflame (and U-Turn) in order to put them in range of Tapu Lele's attacks. (i.e. DS Mew and PS Zapdos). Together, they can beat almost all the tier, and Talonflame is an excellent offensive pivot for Tapu Lele.

This core being obviously offensive, you need a strong defensive backbone, especially against faster threats than Talonflame. If you drop Flare Blitz, a particularly good answer to Tapu Koko is needed, as it can come relatively freely on Talonflame and pivot on Tapu Lele with U-Turn if needed.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for all of the submissions! Really happy with the turnout this round, let's keep it up! I chose Mold Breaker Heatran, RegenScarf Genesect, and Choice Scarf Azelf as the winners for this week. Congrats to drampa's grandpa Think and UT for having your sets added to the Hall of Fame. On to Week 30, Balanced Hackmons:
Week 30: Triage Celesteela (Balanced Hackmons)
:ss/celesteela:

Celesteela @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Oblivion Wing
- Leech Seed
- Earth Power​

The deadline to submit a partner for Celesteela is 12/17. As always, reservations last 24 hours, so make sure to post in a timely manner.

Zamazenta-Crowned @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Sunsteel Strike
- Fishious Rend
- Wicked Blow

Triage Celesteela struggles with a few types of Pokemon, but the biggest issues tend to be Ho-Oh, V-Create Regigigas, and ice scales, especially ice scales steels. Thus, CB Zamazenta is a solid partner. It does a solid job of luring in and KOing Ho-Oh for Celesteela, and it just demolishes every steel type in the game. It can't beat +1/1 Gigas, but it does win 1v1. Also pretty cool for randomly luring things that don't neccesarily stop celesteela but can def annoy it, like prank tina and Nuzzle Lunala.

Eternatus @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Core Enforcer
- Sludge Bomb

Celesteela tends to struggle with bulky Steel types and specially defensive pokemon like Ho-Oh becuase they can handily tank Oblivion Wing and PP stall it or in the case of HO-Oh OHKO it. Corrosion Eternatus can both lure in and switch in to those common pokemon and afflict them with Poisoning and stop them from recovering or using their ultility moves with Taunt. Having those pokemon Poisoned is huge for Celesteela as it makes it significantly easier for it to whittle down it's checks with Leech Seed and Obilvion Wing and whatever coverage option it chooses to use.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Reserving LO TC Zama-Hero :zamazenta:
Changing this to Fur Coat Palkia instead :palkia:
Palkia @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Entrainment
- Core Enforcer
- Recover

While I did try TC LO Zama out in testing, FC Palkia was really the better partner for Celesteela. It doesn't mind coming in on V-create whatsoever and it can annoy Steel-types like Zama-C with burns and Rocky Helmet. I ran +Speed with Entrainment here to mess with Xerneas still, mostly Pixilate versions, and to not get overwhelmed by Dragon Tail / Avalanche PH Regigigas. This also deals with Groudon, who can bother Celesteela with Thousand Arrows if it is healthy enough.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Cresselia (F) @ Rocky Helmet / Shed Shell
Ability: Fur Coat / Ice Scales
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Worry Seed / Poison Fang
- Future Sight
- Recover / Strength Sap

rainbow offense my beloved. steela beats a lot of stuff 1v1 but really appreciates not being the primary switchin to threats. cress on the contrary doesn't mind this in the slightest. basically you cover a lot of threats and have future sight to set up for breaking ideas, forcing the opponent to play passively. this can be combined with stuff like imposter, various other fat mons, and para protection to stop the opponent from getting anything done and allow you to win at a glacial pace with various combinations in the meantime.

Groudon @ Soft Sand
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Poison Fang
- Roost
- Stealth Rock / Entrainment

Forms a good defensive core against most Xerneas sets with Celesteela, where you'll kind of never lose to pixilate sets, and don't really let in poison heal sets. Celesteela also conveniently improofs Groudon which helps out a ton. Also able to collectively pressure a bunch of defensive cores and form a really nice proactive core. Both often make a ton of progress together.

in the hills

spreading confusion
Apologies for the delay, been moving the past few days! Thanks for all the submissions, the winners are Groudon from XxSevagxX, Zamazenta-Crowned from Quantum Tesseract and Palkia from a loser! Your sets will be added to the Hall of Fame! Week 31 is STABmons!
Week 31: Scarf Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (STABmons)
:ss/urshifu-rapid-strike:

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- U-turn
- Final Gambit​
The deadline to submit a partner for Urshifu-Rapid-Strike is 12/24. As always reservations last 24 hours so make sure to finish posts in a timely manner.

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
-Synthesis
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
This set covers for shifu's weaknesses and shifu would be able to take out the strong fire types to give ferrothorn a set up chance. For example, heatran. If need be, shifu could final gambit threatening fighting types and allow ferro to set up. If it couldnt, ferro has the chople berry to weaken the inital hit and take the second one better thanks to cotton guard boosts. Shifu's u turn could help ferro pivot in safely (not that it really needs it). Synthesis pairs well with leech seed to allow ferro to recover and keep setting up. Of course, ghost types are a problem but they will all be 2HKO by shifu's surging strikes (the viable ones of course).

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
This set covers for shifu's weaknesses and shifu would be able to take out the strong fire types to give ferrothorn a set up chance. If need be, shifu could final gambit threatening fighting types and allow ferro to set up. If it couldnt, ferro has the chople berry to weaken the inital hit and take the second one better thanks to cotton guard boosts. Shifu's u turn could help ferro pivot in safely (not that it really needs it).
STABmons has Sleep Moves Clause - this set is not legal

Dr. Phd. BJ

aphasia
is a defending SCL Champion
OMPL Champion

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Aeroblast

Urshifu is very good speed control versus offense, and baits in many fat waters such as Seismitoad, Toxapex, Gyarados, Rotom-W, Slowbro, and others. Thundy-T can get a free nasty plot vs many of these, or threaten to do a ton of damage with tbolt/aeroblast. Urshifu can get revenged by Rillaboom, which Thundy-T can offensively check. Thundy-T appreciates the free switches that Urshifu gives, the ability to check Weavile/Cinderace, and the ability to gain momentum vs Tyranitar.

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
Submitting cindi
:ss/cinderace:
Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Jolly Nature
- Fire Lash
- U-turn
- Court Change
- High Jump Kick

Cindi really appreciates shifu reliably removing pex, as it lets Cindi drop zen without fear of pex. The 2 can also work together, to remove shared checks like slowbro and Phys def seis with or without final gambit in the picture, especially as they form a "volt turn" core, which can also effectively keep up momentum.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)