Omastar

QC: nv / Hogg / Pearl
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / Haund

[OVERVIEW]
Despite the many Water-types in the tier, Omastar finds its place thanks to its access to Shell Smash, its impressive Special Attack, and an offensive movepool that gives it all it needs to function as a terrifying sweeper. However, while Omastar hits significantly harder, it faces competition from Cloyster, which boasts a better Speed tier. Moreover, Omastar's pitiful Special Defense and Speed leave it very reliant on its Focus Sash to set up safely. Even after a boost, it fails to outspeed common Choice Scarf users that litter the tier, such as Darmanitan, Hydreigon, and Mienshao, although Weak Armor rectifies that if Omastar is setting up on physical attacks.

[SET]
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Electric
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
ability: Weak Armor
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shell Smash doubles Omastar's Special Attack and Speed, making it an offensive behemoth. Hydro Pump is its most powerful STAB attack and hits incredibly hard after a boost. Ice Beam allows Omastar to hit Grass- and Dragon-types that resist Hydro Pump, such as Salamence and Shaymin. Hidden Power Electric hits Water-types that would otherwise wall Omastar, such as Suicune and Gyarados, for heavy damage. Scald or Surf is an option over Hydro Pump if you prefer superior accuracy; however, Omastar sorely misses the power, as it fails to OHKO the likes of Reuniclus, Sableye, and Mega Aggron and 2HKO Snorlax and Porygon2. Alternatively, Earth Power hits Toxicroak, Empoleon, and Tentacruel for substantial damage, but it is rather suboptimal because Omastar loses the ability to break past most Water-types if it doesn't run Hidden Power Electric.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment allows Omastar to hit as hard and fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to outrun key threats such as Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Sceptile after a boost. Focus Sash guarantees that Omastar can set up safely against teams that lack means of rendering it helpless, such as Whimsicott and Sableye, which can use Encore or Taunt against it. Life Orb is an alternative option to amplify Omastar's sweeping potential, which sometimes makes it a better choice over Focus Sash. Weak Armor is the ability of choice, as it allows Omastar to potentially gain an extra Speed boost, which allows it to outrun all relevant Choice Scarf users.

Usage Tips
========

Omastar should be preserved until late-game, when all its checks and counters have been weakened or eliminated, especially Choice Scarf users, as most can outrun it even after a Shell Smash boost. Omastar should not be switched in with entry hazards on the field in order to preserve its Focus Sash. Life Orb variants should seek to set up on attackers that struggle to break through its impressive Defense. Omastar should aim to be brought in through a slow Volt Switch or U-turn or after a teammate has fainted, to avoid taking unnecessary damage.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal is a necessity to keep Omastar's Focus Sash intact, so Pokemon that can remove entry hazards are good partners. Fast suicide leads such as Azelf and Aerodactyl make for fine partners, as they both set and prevent entry hazards. Forretress and Gligar are nice partners as well, as Omastar appreciates their slow Volt Switch and U-turn, as well as their ability to set up entry hazards. Mega Blastoise shares similar checks to Omastar and assists in weakening its checks. Entry hazard support is appreciated to help secure KOs, so good teammates include Nidoqueen and Cobalion, which set up Stealth Rock, and Roserade and Accelgor, which set up Spikes. Memento users such as Gardevoir, Whimsicott, and Chandelure are good partners, especially for the Life Orb set, as they somewhat offset Omastar's average bulk and permit safer setup opportunities. Finally, Fire- and Flying-types such as Entei, Infernape, and Mega Aerodactyl make for good partners, as they all break down Grass-types that can threaten Omastar with their STAB attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Omastar can be run as a Swift Swim sweeper on rain teams, but it faces heavy competition from Kingdra, which has superior Speed and the capacity to run a mixed set. Mental Herb is an option, as it allows Omastar to negate the effects of Taunt and Encore, which inhibit it from setting up. Omastar could run a suicide lead or physically defensive set with its access to Spikes and Stealth Rock, but both sets lose to common entry hazard removers, and the latter offers little to no defensive advantages that make it worth using over other Water-types.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users that possess base 90 Speed and above such as Hydreigon, Mienshao, and Salamence outrun even a Shell Smash-boosted Omastar and weaken or outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks.

**Priority**: Priority users such as Mega Absol and Feraligatr can easily pick off a weakened Omastar after its drop in defenses from Shell Smash, but a healthy Omastar can shrug off most physical priority attacks. Special priority users such as Lucario and Infernape can easily revenge kill Omastar with Vacuum Wave.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Blissey, Florges, and Umbreon can tank a +2 Hydro Pump from Omastar. Blissey can chip away at it with Seismic Toss and cripple it with status, Florges can wear it down with Moonblast, and Umbreon can heavily dent Omastar with Foul Play after it has boosted.

**Fast Special Attackers**: Due to Omastar's low Special Defense, it has to be wary when facing off against special attackers such as Hydreigon, Shaymin, and Alakazam, which can all severely weaken it with their STAB attacks. Alakazam can afford to run Focus Sash in tandem with Thunder Wave and effectively neuter Omastar with paralysis.

Last edited:
Mental herb should go in other options or something; I used it vs kokoloko in SPL and it would've won if I didn't choke (was fearful of scarf dreigon). It basically allows u to set up disregarding incoming whimsicott, or set up on sableye and m-aero.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

QC: / /
GP: / /
[OVERVIEW]
+ Shell Smash is it's main draw; it makes it a terrifying sweeper
+ Nice defense lets it setup a bit easier
+ Decent movepool
+ Weak Armor is an ok ability that allows it to become faster and outrun all relevant scarfers after a boost from it; lowers Defense leaving it more liable to revenge killing
- Slow without a Shell Smash boost
- Little use outside of Shell Smash
- Low SpD
- Abysmal Speed leaves it outran many several key choice scarf users even after a Shell Smash boost
- Faces competition from Cloyster who can also use Shell Smash + better speed

I would mention its specific moves such as Hydro Pump, Earth Power, and Ice Beam give it the best neutral coverage it can have moreso than mentioning its decent movepool. Only do this though if you don't mention its other moves such as its access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes.

[SET]
move 4: Hidden Power [Grass]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Shell Smash is necessary to make it a nice sweeper
  • Hydro Pump is it's most powerful STAB choice
  • Ice Beam hits Grass and Dragon-types such as Shaymin and Salamence.
  • Hidden Power Grass allows it to hit other Water-types super effectively such as Suicune and Mega Blastoise
  • Scald is an option if you'd prefer accuracy over power, but you lose out on a lot of power
  • Earth Power allows it to hit Empoleon and Tentacruel for massive damage
Set Details
========
  • Focus Sash guarantees Omastar can setup, but Life Orb is a solid option to amplify sweeping capability.
  • Max Speed and SpA allows it to hit has hard and fast as possible. A Timid Nature is necessary to outrun key threats like Mega Aerodactyl and Sceptile after a boost.
  • Weak Armor is the ability of choice as it allows Omastar to fish for extra speed and outrun all choice scarf users at +3
  • White Herb is an option to restore defenses after a boost
I would mention Swift Swim is a nice option to check Mega Swampert under rain since Focus Sash is the main item, meaning it can serve as an emergency check.

Usage Tips
========
  • Preserve until late game after all c&c have been weakened or eliminated
  • Shouldn't be switched in and hazards removed to preserve Focus Sash
  • Should be brought in through slow VoltTurn or after a teammate has fainted
Mention that it can only set up on weaker physical attackers since its Defense may be high, but its overall bulk is average at best.

Team Options
========
  • Hazard removal is a necessity to keep it's Focus Sash intact, so Zapdos, Forretress, and Salamence.
  • Zapdos is especially a good partner as it can weaken or eliminate its checks like Suicune
  • Forretress offers hazard removal, hazard support, and slow Volt Switch
  • Volt Switch and U-Turn support
  • Fire and Flying types like Entei, Mega Aerodactyl, and Infernape since they break down Grass-types who can effortlessly OHKO Omastar with their STAB
Whimsicott and Zapdos should be specifically mentioned for VoltTurn support since they have both provide decent synergy.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • A Rain sweeper set is viable when placed on a dedicated Rain Team, but it faces competition from Kingdra, and if it's not on a dedicated rain team, Shell Smash is better.
  • Mental Herb is an option as it allows Omastar to negate the effects of Taunt or Encore.
Defensive set should at least get an OO mention if not a whole set, but I will tag YABO to see what his thoughts are since he was the proponent for a defensive set when it got nominated iirc.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Choice Scarf Users**: Base 90 and above Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon, Mienshao, and Salamence outrun even a boosted Omastar and can weaken or outright OHKO it with their STAB

**Priority**: Priority users can easily pick off weakened a Omastar due to it's drop in Defenses from Shell Smash.

**Fast Special Attackers**: Due to it's low SpD fast Sp. Attackers pose a threat since they can OHKO or severely weaken it before it can even setup

**Blissey**: Blissey can't be 2HKOed by a +2 Hydro Pump unless it has a Life Orb.
(This could possibly be changed to Special Walls, but Blissey is pretty much the best bet. More offense SpD tanks can all take a hit and retaliate though)

I feel like Florges is decent enough to get a mention for special walls thanks to reliable recovery and a strong Moonblast. Mention that it can tank most physical priority thanks to its high Defense stat unless it has been brought down to 1 HP when its Focus Sash is broken.
As I mentioned in my comments, tagging YABO about a potential defensive set and its merits. Comments are bold. I will look this over again once it is all implemented.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
like i said in the original thread‚ give me a list of relevant mons which "defensive" omastar stops consistently and i'll accept its inclusion in the analysis. getting stomped by both empoleon and tentacruel doesn't help it as an hazard setter at all either. i just can't see the appeal behind that set

i'll give this a proper check once i have computer access (and once nv does his thing i guess)

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
like i said in the original thread‚ give me a list of relevant mons which "defensive" omastar stops consistently and i'll accept its inclusion in the analysis. getting stomped by both empoleon and tentacruel doesn't help it as an hazard setter at all either. i just can't see the appeal behind that set

i'll give this a proper check once i have computer access (and once nv does his thing i guess)
Hmm fair enough. Unless YABO opposes, consider my check QC 1/3 (since the main reason I was waiting was because of the possibility of a defensive set)

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
- Entei Shaky at best, considering Omastar is easily one of the easiest Pokemon to wear down through Sacred Fire burns, and judging by the description you made, it looks like you're overlooking those pretty hard.

- Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge hurts, and so does Earthquake (it has a chance to 2HKO after SR damage for reference). If you're using this as your Aero switch in you might as well click X, but you can 1v1 it under some circumstances.

- Crobat U-turn variants can wear you down, but I'll give you this one anyway since Brave Bird does 0 and I don't feel like being too picky.

- Fletchinder Same as Crobat, except it burns you instead of possibly getting momentum on you. Could be similar to Entei as well.

- Scarf Darmanitan Same as Crobat, except it can nuke Omastar by itself eventually. Straight up 2HKOs with SR.

- Salamence Needs something to scout the set (Defog is obvious on some team structures, but what you think is a DD Mence could be a mixed variant ready to Drop a Draco™ on Omastar. Earthquake and Outrage from physical variants are both doing around 40% too. Same as Mega Aerodactyl, except that if you run Scald / Earth Power it sets up on you anyway.

- Doublade +0 Sacred Sword hurts a little, which means you have to be wary, but Omastar should win most of the time.

- Aggron You're reliant on burns to stop this one, so I don't know what to say.

- Offensive Bronzong I said relevant.

- Sharpedo 252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Omastar: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock ???

- Absol Knocks its Leftovers off, which kinda gimps its longevity. Superpower variants can break through it even more easily.

All in all, I just don't see any reason to use this over any other Bulky Water-type or even Physically Defensive Diancie at all. It's easy to wear down and some of the threats it stops on paper can get momentum on it or wear it down through SR damage, burns, Knock Off and coverage moves. There's also what I mentioned in my previous post about how it can't keep hazards up against some removers at all.

Last edited:
Honestly, Swampert looks better in every way and checks everything on that list besides Salamence better, especially with no Ground weakness and STAB eq to hit Tenta and Empoleon with. Omastar has the flying resistance, but it is still a way worse check to Aero than Swampert, so yeah I don't think defensive should be a set.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Meanwhile Qwilfish has better physical bulk once Intimidate is factored in, better Speed and support options, checks most of the same threats plus a few others like Cobalion, and also has Spikes. Considering that even Qwilfish can be a bit niche in UU, I agree with dod and Pearl that a pdef Omastar analysis set is unnecessary.

(Not saying it can't work on the right team, but it's largely outclassed enough that I just don't think it needs a spot on the analysis.)

implemented nv's check. disregarded the first bit about it's movepool since it's the consensus that a support omastar is outclassed, but OO or no?

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Like I said, I don't really think it's necessary. I guess you can bring it up just to mention that it's outclassed, but eh. If other people feel strongly about it, then put in a quick line that a defensive set with Spikes is possible, but that it is largely outclassed by Qwilfish, who has a better Speed, movepool and ability for the job.

On to the actual analysis...

• Shell Smash backed by an impressive Special Attack makes it a terrifying sweeper - other 'mons have Shell Smash but lack Omastar's offensive presence regardless.
  • Specifically mention in cons that its low Speed and unimpressive Special Defense means it is largely reliant on Focus Sash to reliably set up.
  • "Scald is an option if you'd prefer accuracy over power, but you lose out on a lot of power" - expand this, please. What KOs do Scald and Surf miss that Hydro Pump hits? (Sableye on non-LO sets is a big one, and Reuniclus and Mega-Aggron are possibly relevant as well - but just make sure there are examples.)
  • Hidden Power Electric is an option over Hidden Power Grass, as it still hits Water types, including Empoleon and Tentacruel, and is the only thing that can OHKO Gyarados (even +2 LO Ice Beam only does 70-83% to 0/4 Gyara). I actually think this is viable enough to go in as a slash, by the way - +2 LO HP Electric actually has a 50% chance to KO Empoleon and does a very nice chunk to Tentacruel as well, and Gyarados is a pretty big threat. +2 Hydro Pump tends to hit Swampert hard enough.
  • You say that Swift Swim lets you act as an emergency check to Mega-Swampert in the rain. However, most Mega-Swamperts outspeed you unboosted (and if you're already boosted, you're not checking Mega-Swampert). I see nv mentioned Focus Sash, but Focus Sash means you check Mega-Pert regardless of whether you're Swift Swim or not (and Weak Armor lets you outspeed after Pert attacks you). Take this reference out IMO.
  • I'd remove White Herb as an option. It doesn't really do anything relevant - you still resist most priority and even at -1 have the defenses to tank anything not named Vacuum Wave. Meanwhile, Weak Armor means you've got a good chance of popping your White Herb early as you tank a hit while setting up. If you're really that afraid of Vacuum Wave, run Chople Berry. (Don't run Chople Berry.)
  • Under usage tips, you say should only set up on weaker physical attackers. I'd change this to say that the Life Orb set should seek to set up on physical attackers that struggle to break through Omastar's defenses.
  • The way you word the hazard removal section in Team Options makes it sound like Zapdos, Forry and Salamence are specifically necessary. Instead I'd say "Pokemon that can remove hazards such as XYZ."
  • Might want to specifically mention slow U-turns/Volt Switches that can safely get Omastar in with its Focus Sash unbroken - both of the 'mons you recommended are fairly fast, so there's still a good chance Omastar will be taking a hit on the switch. Forretress and Gligar are especially nice in this regard, as they can both clear hazards and get Omastar in reliably. (You reference Forry currently, but I'd move that reference down to below Volt Switch/U-turn support.)
  • Add a line about hazard support being helpful to secure necessary KOs. You briefly mention hazard support with Forretress, but it's pretty relevant.
  • Under priority you say "due to it's high Defense it can tank most priority if it's Focus Sash has not already been used." This doesn't actually make sense. If its Focus Sash is unpopped it doesn't matter how high its Defense is. Meanwhile it actually tanks most physical priority just fine (even at -1, Entei's ESpeed only does ~30%). Instead I would mention that priority such as Lucario or Infernape's Vacuum Wave can easily revenge kill Omastar, and strong priority can revenge you if weakened. However, Omastar's high defense means it can shrug off most physical priority if healthy.
Let me know when these are implemented so I can check over it. If it all looks good, QC 2/3.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I don't think HP Electric should replace HP Grass; I think it should be slashed with it. Some teams will still prefer the ability to more reliably deal with Swampert. Also I'd say Scald or Surf are options over Hydro Pump. In the Volt Switch/U-turn section you replaced the examples with slower U-turn users but still didn't actually mention that a slow Volt Switch/U-turn can bring in Omastar safely with its Sash intact.

Fix those and you have QC 2/3.

ok, so i added dodmen 's previous check Pearl posted. went ahead and made hp electric the only move in the last slot since it's objectively better in a gyarados metagame and as he said swampert's taking a load from hydro pump. everything else he said was already implemented :)

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
I think the Overview could probably be fleshed out some more. The content is nice though. Here's how I'm imagining it (note: it's pretty much identical to yours, but I still feel like dropping it here):

similar start, mentioning the plethora of water-types that are viable in the uu metagame > shell smash niche (include that it sucks at everything else here) > a properly fleshed out comparison to cloyster, where you mention how it hits a lot harder, courtesy of its high base special attack > frail and slow (and how common choice scarf users can still revenge kill it even at +2, although that can be bypassed if you set up on a physical move, thanks to weak armor. the reference to focus sash goes here too. you could also give a mention to priority users i think)

mention why earth power isn't optimal in comparison to hidden power even though it hits 3 important targets (misses out on most water-types, which are also common switch ins to oma)

talk a little more about life orb vs sash IMO. the latter gives you a guaranteed smash boost against whimsicott-less teams, which is huge (obviously), but life orb +2 omastar hits hard enough to justify the risk of having no sash, if i'm making sense here (ohkos pdef pert with hydro pump 70% of the time, 2hkos lax etc)

mention that its important to get choice scarf mons and priority users out of the picture before attempting an omastar sweep. pretty much this: "Omastar should be preserved until late-game, when all its checks and counters have been weakened or eliminated", but slightly more developed

team options are a little weird right now. first you mention hazard removers that rely on defog and then talk about spike stacking right after. a good way of fixing this would be mentioning different ways of hazard control (fast taunt suicide leads like aero and azelf, forretress which also has a slow volt switch and lures fire-type switch ins and mega blastoise, which shares some of its checks with omastar).

you can talk about memento users (gardevoir, chandelure and uxie) as lo omastar partners too, as they can make up for the lack of focus sash to an extent

i don't see any problem with talking about pdef and suicide lead omastar in OO as long as you mention why they're not optimal sets (both struggle with common hazard removers, pdef oma doesn't have any defensive niche over other bulky water-types etc)

c&c is nice. order should be choice scarf users > priority > special walls > fast special attacks, with sash (+ twave) zam receiving a big mention in the fast special attackers part and umbreon getting added to special walls, since shell smash makes foul play hit like a truck and sash omastar is doing less than 50% to it at +2

3/3 once this is all implemented

amcheck
add
remove
(comments)
AC = Add comma
RC = Remove comma
[OVERVIEW]
Despite the many Water-types in the UU tier, Omastar finds its place with access to the coveted Shell Smash, impressive Special Attack, and an offensive movepool that gives it all it needs to function as a terrifying sweeper. However, it faces competition from Cloyster, (AC) who which boasts a better Speed tier, but Omastar hits significantly harder. and it Omastar has pitiful Special Defense as well as and Speed, (AC) which leaves it very reliant upon its Focus Sash to setup safely. (Add period. Sentence has too many clauses.) , (RC) but Even after a boost, (AC) it fails to outspeed common Choice Scarf users that litter the tier, although Weak Armor rectifies that if Omastar is setting up on physical attacks.

[SET]
move 4: Hidden Power [Electric] (Remove brackets: Hidden Power Electric)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Shell Smash doubles Omastar's Special Attack and Speed, making it an offensive behemoth. Hydro Pump is its most powerful STAB attack that hits incredibly hard after a boost. Ice Beam allows Omastar to hit Grass- (Add hyphen) and Dragon-types that resist Hydro Pump, (AC) such as, (RC) Salamence and Shaymin. Hidden Power Electric hits Water-types that walls Omastar, such as Suicune and Gyarados, (AC) for heavy damage. Scald or Surf is an option over Hydro Pump if you prefer better superior accuracy, however Omastar sorely misses the power, (AC) as it fails to OHKO the likes of Reuniclus, Sableye, and Mega Aggron as well as and 2HKO Snorlax and Porygon2. Earth Power is an option that hits Toxicroak, Empoleon, and Tentacruel for substantial damage, (RC) but is rather sub-optimal (Remove hyphen. Suboptimal is one word) as because Omastar loses the ability to break past most Water-types without Hidden Power Electric.

Set Details
========
Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment allows Omastar to hit as hard and fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to outrun key threats such as Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Sceptile after a boost. Focus Sash guarantees that Omastar can set (Add a space) up safely against teams that lack means of rendering it helpless such as Whimsicott and Sableye who that can use Encore or Taunt against it, but Life Orb is an alternate alternative option to amplify its sweeping potential, which sometimes make it a better choice over Focus Sash. Weak Armor is the ability of choice, (AC) as it allows Omastar to potentially gain an extra Speed boost, which allows it to outrun all relevant Choice Scarf users.

Usage Tips
========
Omastar should be preserved until the late-game, when all its checks and counters have been weakened or eliminated, especially Choice Scarf users, as most can outrun it even after a Shell Smash boost. Omastar should not be switched in with entry hazards on the field in order to preserve its Focus Sash.; (Change semicolon to period) Life Orb variants should seek to set (Insert a space) up on attackers that struggle to break through its impressive Defense. Omastar should aim to be brought in through a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or after a teammate has fainted to avoid taking unnecessary damage.

Team Options
========
Entry hazard removal is a necessity to keep its Focus Sash intact, so Pokemon that can remove entry hazards are good partners. Fast suicide leads such as Azelf and Aerodactyl make for fine partners as they both set and block entry hazards. Forretress and Gligar are nice partners as well, as Omastar appreciates their slow Volt Switch and U-turn respectively as well as their ability to set (add a space. Set up as a verb is two words) up entry hazards. Mega Blastoise shares similar checks as to Omastar and assists in weakening their similar checks. Entry hazard support is appreciated to help secure KO's (Remove apostrophe: "KOs"), so good teammates include Nidoqueen and Cobalion, who which both set (Add a space) up Stealth Rock, and Roserade and Accelgor, who which both set (add a space) up Spikes. Memento users such as Gardevoir, Whimsicott, and Chandelure are good partners, especially for the Life Orb set, (AC) as they somewhat offset it's its average bulk and permit safer setup opportunities. Finally, Fire- and Flying-types such as Entei, Mega Aerodactyl, and Infernape all make for good partners as they all break down Grass-types who that can threaten Omastar with their STAB attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
(Insert line break here)
A rain sweeper set is viable on rain teams, but it faces heavy competition from Kingdra as a Swift Swimmer sweeper. Mental Herb is an option as it allows Omastar to negate the effects of Taunt and Encore, which inhibits it from setting it up. Omastar could run a suicide lead and or physically defensive set with it's its access to Spikes and Stealth Rock, but they both sets lose to common entry hazard removers, and the latter of set offers little to no defensive niche over other Water-types.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users that possess a Speed tier of 90 base 90 Speed and above such as Hydreigon, Mienshao, and Salamence outrun even a Shell Smash-boosted Omastar and weaken or outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks. (Add period)

**Priority**: Priority users such as Mega Absol and Feraligatr, can easily pick off a weakened a Omastar due to after it's its drop in defenses from Shell Smash, but a healthy Omastar can shrug off most physical priority attacks. Special priority users such as Lucario and Infernape can easily revenge kill Omastar with Vacuum Wave.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Blissey, Florges, and Umbreon can tank a +2 Hydro Pump from Omastar. Blissey can chip away at it with Seismic Toss and cripple it with status, Florges can wear it down with Moonblast, and Umbreon can heavily dent Omastar with Foul Play after it has boosted.

**Fast Special Attackers**: Due to Omastar's low Special Defense, it has to be wary when facing against special attackers such as Hydreigon, Shaymin, and Alakazam, (RC) who that can all severely weaken it with their STAB attacks. The latter of which Alakazam can afford to run Focus Sash in tandem with Thunder Wave and effectively neuter Omastar with paralysis.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
another amcheck; the more the merrier!
[OVERVIEW]
Despite the many Water-types in the UU (this analysis is going to be under the "UU" heading so I don't see the point of saying "UU") tier, Omastar finds its place with access to the coveted thanks to its access to (it finds it place because of Shell Smash, not with it; coveted over-sells the move, imo) Shell Smash, its impressive Special Attack, and an offensive movepool that which gives it all it needs to function as a terrifying sweeper. However, while Omastar hits significantly harder, it faces competition from Cloyster, which boasts a better Speed tier, but Omastar hits significantly harder. Omaster has pitiful Special Defense and Speed, which leaves it very reliant upon its Focus Sash to set(add space)up safely. Even after a boost, it fails to outspeed common Choice Scarf users that litter the tier, although Weak Armor rectifies mitigates its poor Speed that if Omastar is setting up on physical attacks.

[SET]
move 4: Hidden Power Electric

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(add space)
Shell Smash doubles Omastar's Special Attack and Speed, making it a potent threat an offensive behemoth (yeah I don't think you should be calling Pokemon behemoth's, especially in C&C). Hydro Pump is its most powerful STAB attack that hits incredibly hard after a boost. Ice Beam allows Omastar to hit Grass- and Dragon-types that resist Hydro Pump, such as Salamence and Shaymin. Hidden Power Electric hits Water-types that would otherwise wall Omastar, such as Suicune and Gyarados, (AC) for heavy damage. Scald or Surf is an option over Hydro Pump if you prefer superior better (I wouldn't call it superior considering it's only 20%, but that's my opinion) accuracy, however Omastar sorely misses the power, as it fails to OHKO the likes of Reuniclus, Sableye, and Mega Aggron and 2HKO Snorlax and Porygon2. Alternatively, Earth Power is an option that (to prevent repetition of <.....> is an option) hits Toxicroak, Empoleon, and Tentacruel for substantial damage but it is rather suboptimal because Omastar loses the ability to break past most Water-types if it doesn't run Hidden Power Electric (you don't say that Earth Power is an option of Hidden Power Electric) without Hidden Power Electric.

Set Details
========
(add space)
Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment allows Omastar to hit as hard and fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to outrun key threats such as Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Sceptile after a boost. Focus Sash guarantees that Omastar can set up safely against teams Pokemon that lack means of rendering it helpless useless, (AC) such as Whimsicott and Sableye. (AP) that can use Encore or Taunt against it, (three 'that''s in one sentence, so I removed this part, because it doesn't really add on anything) but Life Orb is an alternative option to amplify its sweeping potential, which sometimes makes it a better choice over Focus Sash. Weak Armor is the ability of choice, as it allows Omastar to potentially gain an extra Speed boost, which allows it to outrun all relevant Choice Scarf users.

Usage Tips
========
(add space)
Omastar should be preserved until the late-game, when all its checks and counters have been weakened or eliminated, especially Choice Scarf users, (AC) as most can outrun it even after a Shell Smash boost. Omastar should not be switched in with entry hazards on the field in order to preserve its Focus Sash. Life Orb variants should seek to set up on attackers that struggle to break through its impressive Defense. Omastar should aim to be brought in through a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or after a teammate has fainted, (AC) to avoid taking unnecessary damage.

Team Options
========
(add space)
Entry hazard removal is a necessity to keep its Omastar's Focus Sash intact, so Pokemon that can remove entry hazards (such as....?) are good partners. Fast suicide leads such as Azelf and Aerodactyl make for fine partners as they both set and block prevent (they don't necessarily block them, but they can prevent with Taunt) entry hazards. Forretress and Gligar are nice partners as well, as Omastar appreciates their slow Volt Switch and U-turn's, (AC) respectively (using respectively here would mean more commas, making the sentence too clunky) as well as their ability to set up entry hazards. Mega Blastoise shares similar checks to Omastar and assists in weakening their its checks. Entry hazard support is appreciated to help secure KOs, so good teammates include Nidoqueen and Cobalion, which both set up Stealth Rock, and Roserade and Accelgor, which both set up Spikes. Memento users such as Gardevoir, Whimsicott, and Chandelure are good partners, especially for the Life Orb set, as they somewhat offset its average bulk and permit safer setup opportunities. Finally, Fire- and Flying-types such as Entei, Mega Aerodactyl, and Infernape make for good partners as they all break down Grass-types that can threaten Omastar with their STAB attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A rain sweeper set is viable on rain teams, but it faces heavy competition from Kingdra as a Swift Swim sweeper. Mental Herb is an option, (AC) as it allows Omastar to negate the effects of Taunt and Encore, which inhibit it from setting up. Omastar could run a suicide lead or physically defensive set with its access to Spikes and Stealth Rock, but both sets lose to common entry hazard removers, and the latter set offers little to no defensive niche over other Water-types.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users that possess base 90 Speed and above such as Hydreigon, Mienshao, and Salamence outrun even a Shell Smash-boosted Omastar and weaken or outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks.

**Priority**: Priority users such as Mega Absol and Feraligatr, can easily pick off a weakened Omastar after its drop in defenses from Shell Smash, but a healthy Omastar can shrug off most physical priority attacks. Special priority users such as Lucario and Infernape can easily revenge kill Omastar with Vacuum Wave.

**Fast Special Attackers**: Due to Omastar's low Special Defense, it has to be wary when facing against special attackers such as Hydreigon, Shaymin, and Alakazam that , (AC) which can all severely weaken it with their STAB attacks. Alakazam can afford to run Focus Sash in tandem with Thunder Wave and effectively neuter Omastar with paralysis.
add remove comments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)