[on-site] Colloquy Tutorial*

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey so currently there are two IRC tutorials onsite mIRC and XChat but nothing that will run Mac, Colloquy is easy and free so it is the best option and so here is a tutorial formatted to match the current two.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Colloquy Tutorial

Colloquy is a free and easy to use Mac IRC client; this tutorial will help you download it and set it up.

1. Downloading

Colloquy is up for download here. Simply click, let it download, locate it in Finder, and drag it into your applications.

2. Configuration

As you attempt to open Colloquy, a window will pop up alerting you this is an application from the internet; go ahead and click open to continue. A small connections box, as shown below, will pop up. Click the yellow lighting bolt on the top left that says new.

Once you have clicked that a new box will pop up asking you for some information. First, fill in your nickname, which is what you will be seen as in the chat. Leave the middle box alone and type in irc.synirc.net in the bottom box. Make sure the Remember connection box is checked.

3. Connecting

Once you do all of that the connection will be shown in the connection window (if you can't find it, go to Window>Connections). Make sure the correct connection is highlighted and hit the blue and white "Join Room" button. A small box will pop up; type the channel name into the second box as shown below and then hit "Join".

To join another channel, type /join #channel. This can be used to join channels such as #Stark. Most of the Smogon IRC channels have a small security measure to prevent flooding from bots, so before you can join the channels it will require you to type /msg nickserv register password e-mail into the console. Join any channel (such as #help) to open the console and allow you to enter the above line. Password is a five character or more case sensitive password and e-mail is the e-mail that your activation key will be sent to. Enter the line provided in the email and your nick will be successfully registered. Every time you attempt to join #smogon or #stark you will need to identify yourself with the line /msg nickserv identify password. To skip that step however you can right click on the connection and click "Get Info" to pull up the box below. Then type your password in the box and Colloquy will automatically identify you every time you join the server.

Now your ready to chat and have fun! Just be sure to follow the rules.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
To join another channel type /join #channel. This can be used to join channels such as #Stark and #smogonwifi. Most of the Smogon IRC channels have a small security measure to prevent flooding from bots, so when you join the channels it will require you to type /msg nickserv register password e-mail before you can participate. Password is a five character or more case sensitive password and e-mail is the e-mail that your activation key will be sent to. Once you enter the activation key you'll be be ready to chat, just be sure to follow the rules!
I'm not sure if I'm just doing it wrong but I had to type "/msg nickserv register password e-mail" into the "console". I'm not sure if that's what you meant by "type /msg nickserv register password e-mail before you can participate" or if I'm overcomplicating it and you do just type that message into something else.
And of course this goes up the day after I finally figure out how to use it.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would be happy to HTMLise this and get it on site when it's ready. Was thinking about putting a chatzilla one up at some point, no harm in making more options available. Need to host the images on Smogon too, but sure someone with access will be willing to help.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I've been talking with Mingot as I've been doing it, he is going to HTMLize it and take care of the image hosting I think.

I was also thinking of doing one for Colloquy for iPhone and iPod Touch, should I?

Hey so currently there are two IRC tutorials onsite mIRC and XChat but nothing that will run Mac, Colloquy is easy and free so it is the best option and so here is a tutorial formatted to match the current two.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Colloquy Tutorial

Colloquy is a free and easy to use Mac IRC client; this tutorial will help you download it and set it up.

1. Downloading

Colloquy is up for download here. Simply click, let it download, locate it in Finder, and drag it into your applications.

2. Configuration

As you attempt to open Colloquy, a window will pop up alerting you this is an application from the internet; go ahead and click open to continue. A small connections box, as shown below, will pop up. Click the yellow lighting bolt on the top left that says new.

Once you have clicked that, a new box will pop up asking you for some information. First, fill in your nickname, which is what you will be seen as in the chat. Leave the middle box alone and type in irc.synirc.net in the bottom box. Make sure the Remember connection box is checked.

3. Connecting

Once you do all of that, the connection will be shown in the connection window (if you can't find it, go to Window>Connections). Make sure the correct connection is highlighted and hit the blue and white "Join Room" button. A small box will pop up; type the channel name into the second box as shown below and then hit "Join".

To join another channel, type /join #channel. This can be used to join channels such as #Stark. Most of the Smogon IRC channels have a small security measure to prevent flooding from bots, so before you can join the channels it will require you to type /msg nickserv register password e-mail into the console. Join any channel (such as #help) to open the console and allow you to enter the above line. Password is a five character or more case sensitive password and e-mail is the e-mail that your activation key will be sent to. Once you enter the activation key you'll be be ready to chat; just be sure to follow the rules!

nice work alaka! one thing you should mention is that if the registration mode is on, you will need to /msg nickserv identify password when you connect, as it requires you to be on an identified nick.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
I'll mention that, and a way to make colloquy do it automatically. Going through and doing all of those changes now. Thanks!

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It only does it for you if you go to the advanced options when setting up a connection.

You must create a basic connection, register, and then input the registered password and nickname for it to do it automatically.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
Yeah, realized that just after I posted, already took the screenshot and got it edited in.

I was also thinking of doing one for Colloquy for iPhone and iPod Touch, should I?
You should definately look into it. I had a bit of trouble trying to figure it out at first and having something like this on site could've helped greatly, especially as more and more people are starting to have have ipod touches/iphones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)