One of the longest debates in history is ended

GIF or JIF?

• Total voters

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
i've always pronounced it GIF since that's just more natural, i swear u all sound like hooligans saying jif; although i guess one saving argument for the other side is that susan coffey called it a jif in some interview xPithario

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
i generally pronounce it with "g" but every once in a while i just refer to them as ".shit" just to piss-off people like outlaw

Whoa, not pronouncing things the way they are thought to be by their spelling in English! Jesus look at this craziness going on here, I can't think of any other words like this at all!

/sarcasm

Alice

The worst taste in music
I've always pronounced it 'jif', but I don't feel vindicated since I tend to mispronounce everything in the first place and therefore tend to assume whatever I improvise is incorrect...
Dear pluff you're already transforming reality with your toughts... JIF is just proof that everything you think about or believe in is eventually becoming true/real =)

It's a fucking acronym for a file extension.

It does, however, make absolutely no sense to pronounce it like 'jif' unless you're a marketing drone for compuserve -- mostly because nobody will know what the fuck you're on about and also because there's a .jif file format.

I've always called them "GIFs", "JIF" is something you put on a sandwich. Besides, Graphics Interchange Format is abbreviated to G.I.F., and I believe it's just a matter of common sense to say it like GIF, since the G in graphics is pronounced with a "g" sound. Such a big discussion on something as small as a pronunciation. Poor foreigners, it must be hard to learn such a complicated language.

JIF is peanut butter, not images that loop on until you close the browser.
This pretty much.

Regardless it won't matter, bulk of people will continue pronouncing it as gif, maybe a couple will convert to the other side, but that it. Whatever the most popular way of saying it will stick in the end, not which might/might not be more correct just cause some old geezer who invented it says it should be one way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)