Media One Piece (spoilers!)

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
You only think Bellamy is more interesting because hes been around for 7+ years. On the other hand Bart has been around for a chapter or two. Hence why he doesn't appear that interesting.

To answer your question, an author would have that character win to give him more opportunities to become interesting. The character would truly be wasted if he was hyped just so that he can be beaten by someone else a chapter later.
I don't think being hyped by the fodder of the tournament is too important, their view of the tournament isn't like ours. The only time I can remember the manga hyping Bart was when he beat the VA, which like things previously mentioned, may not be too large an achievement. Pre-Skip Luffy could OHKO some VAs, the position has a huge range of power.

I think Bellamy is going to be more interesting because of growth. That 7 years thing doesn't really mean anything since we had assumed he was dead the entire time and things like the Skypeia mention were just pointless if he were not going to be an important character. Bellamy also has connections to DD while as far as we know Bart does not, thats a pretty big thing in favor of Bellamy. I'd also really like to see Luffy beat Bellamy in a single punch again lol.

My vote goes to Barto, because I think that Bellamy would be more tragic and able to be redeemed if he loses and luffy takes revenge for him (like Ueki vs Robert when Robert beat BJ).

Also I remember hearing that there was speculation the new nakama would be a former boss I had always assumed that was referring to boss Jinbei but could it have been in regard to bellamy who was for all purpose sake the boss of the jaya arc? At the moment he does seem like he's going to be redeemed, his past must have had some tragedy that made him give up on dreams, and while i can't think of any actual purpose he'd have on the crew interaction with nami and zolo would be pretty nice, also being used to having girls at his feet would be a nice contrast from sanji & brooks general behavior towards woman. I don't actually recall Oda mentioning the boss thing in an SBS it was just something I read on another forum, but if its true I think Bellamy certainly qualifies
The former enemy was Robin. Bellamy wants to be on DD's main crew and while he said he wouldn't laugh at Luffy anymore that doesn't mean LETS ROAM THE SEAS TOGETHER. He might've grown but that doesn't mean he's gotten a totally new view of the world, he may still be "bad".

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think being hyped by the fodder of the tournament is too important, their view of the tournament isn't like ours. The only time I can remember the manga hyping Bart was when he beat the VA, which like things previously mentioned, may not be too large an achievement. Pre-Skip Luffy could OHKO some VAs, the position has a huge range of power.

I think Bellamy is going to be more interesting because of growth. That 7 years thing doesn't really mean anything since we had assumed he was dead the entire time and things like the Skypeia mention were just pointless if he were not going to be an important character. Bellamy also has connections to DD while as far as we know Bart does not, thats a pretty big thing in favor of Bellamy. I'd also really like to see Luffy beat Bellamy in a single punch again lol.

The former enemy was Robin. Bellamy wants to be on DD's main crew and while he said he wouldn't laugh at Luffy anymore that doesn't mean LETS ROAM THE SEAS TOGETHER. He might've grown but that doesn't mean he's gotten a totally new view of the world, he may still be "bad".
Which ones exactly? Based on what I saw in Marineford, he was weaker than the VAs if anything.

During an interview with Oda at Jump Fiesta, he mentioned that there may be a new member in the form of a previous enemy/villain/boss. This was said in between Amazon Lily and Impel Down. We now know that Luffy indeed groups up with several prisoners of Impel Down, and all of them were enemies at some point in time. I take this rumour of a new crew member with a grain of salt because “nakama” can have many meanings. It could have meant a temporary alliance or an ally but not an entirely new member.
This was an excerpt from a One Piece blog, I didn't recall when I remembered hearing this but if it was between Amazon Lily and Impel Down then it probably was referring to the Impel Down alliance. If it wasn't though and Oda was instead foreshadowing the real new nakama then I think Bellamy is the best qualified atm

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Bellamy has this. This is One Piece, it's all about belief, standing for something, and how badly you desire to achieve your goal, and Bellamy seemed pretty damn focusedin that last chapter. The man has undergone a complete transformation since the Jaya arc, and that aside, I don't see the point of reintroducing him right now just to have him lose.

Bellamy

I'm not seeing how a pyramid structure with lines connecting to different characters, one of which is second to the top and was beaten by the main character recently, could be controversial at all.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I'm not seeing how a pyramid structure with lines connecting to different characters, one of which is second to the top and was beaten by the main character recently, could be controversial at all.
Maybe the Japanese text might have something to do with it??

Like: Luffy's going to be the... PHAROAH of the pirates!! And he will steal One Piece from Gold Roger's Pyramid.

Or... they're going back to Arabasta!

Okay so that had nothing to do with the actual pictures. But yeah.

Edit: Well you're really bad at it... Aldaron already kind implied there was controversial info based on 'issues in other forums'

I was being sarcastic if you couldn't tell.

edit: I'm betting the controversy has to do with Z, an opponent defeated by Luffy, being placed above Garp and on par with the Admirals, implying that Luffy is stronger than Garp and the Admirals. However it should be pretty obvious that this is explaining rank and not power, so I could definitely be wrong.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
as a random aside: request for chou

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2416/onepiecefilmzscan41.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/511/onepiecefilmzscan42.jpg

these two scans are causing issues in other forums...can you quickly read them over and see if they reveal any interesting / controversial info?
What am I looking for specifically? I'm not looking in too much detail (g2g soon), but from what I can see it just looks like an explanation of the Marine's ranks/makeup in preparation for the movie. Nothing particularly controversial seems to stick out

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Do you really want to start this??? Please link me to where he said exactly that. But like I said above you can't and it's pointless.
Dude what, I'm sure he answered that in some SBS. The Brazilian edition of One Piece has it but it's a couple editions behind (...ok, Enies Lobby is actually a couple YEARS behind), but even I could check it if someone knew the volume number.

edit: as always I'm late to the party

Need votes from Satisfaction / Mario With Lasers / zoro whoever else is a regular reader / poster
Voting Bellamy, but I can see Bartolomeo still being relevant to the plot. Or Oda asspulling a third option.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just don't get why you guys believe that because Bellamy is the most interesting and developed character (while btw Bart had not time for development) he will win. Bellamy can still play a more important role than Bart without beating him, and let's not forget, once again, that Bart has had not time for development so at least give him a few more chapters before saying that Bellamy is more interesting.

We have seen plenty of more interesting characters losing to less interesting ones, such as Law vs Smoker (yeah at that point we knew more about Smoker than Law, which all we knew was ''yeah i am cool'') and Smoker vs Vergo. I know that those situations played out this way because the plot needed them too, but we don't know what the plot is saving for us here too, so let's not please dismiss Bart with the excuse ''Bellamy is more interesting and developed''. One fight is not the end of the world, and i don't get why winning this battle will be so important for Bellamy's character.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^It's not "how much we know about him." -.- If you think that, you clearly still don't understand the argument Alex.

Law is clearly a more sophisticated character than Smoker, even going into Punk Hazard.

Regardless though, we're not talking simply about "sophistication" but the "strength of Shinnen." The problem with Barty is he's just so one dimensional-- again, "stupid punk ass."

I'll give you that it's possible for him to be developed more, but all the members here who posted "bella" were given the impression by that chapter that Oda didn't/doesn't intend to make him anything more than a punk-ass.

Partly because his face just looks so stupid. Like really stupid.

You think the supernova is one dimensional? While its certainly true we know bellamy has depth isn't it unfair to dismiss barts "You disguist me" when talking to the spectators, it seems like he has an implied ill history with people that resulted in him becoming a pirate. Perhaps he was judged based on his appearance from the rest of society his childhood life and has simply accepted that as his fate. The mystery about him shows that he could have just as much depth as Bellamy

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh i forgot about your point Chou, but don't worry i got your argument. Still your argument is based on the fact that Bart is a punk (we have seen plenty of characters that looked like punks in the beginning and grew into something much more). And also even if Bellamy has stronger Shinnen, this doesn't necessarily translate to him winning the fight. I just can't see why Oda would go through all this trouble to hype up Bart only to show us Bellamy strength. He could easily do this just by making Bellamy KO his opponent, which would be a well known rookie in NW that has fodderized a VA. There would be no need to make a chapter focused on showing us Bart's strength.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Lelouch-- if you go back to earlier posts, you'll actually see that I commented on that, saying that comment by barty actually does imply something more; overall though, he doesn't give the impression of a character Oda plans to make more complicated. That's the impression a lot of us got-- nothing more, nothing less.

But seeing how little there is to go on in this debate (which will go however Oda wants it to), an impression is more than enough to base an opinion on.

Honestly, I don't see why you guys are getting heated up by this; Aldy opened a poll and did nothing but tally opinions just because there's really so little actual information here to discuss.

It's not like I'm going to take it personally or anything if it goes one way or the other. lol

Chou Toshio

Over9000
BTW-- did the spell about Oda's health pass? I'm too lazy to research up about it; but I heard his staff was still releasing with the "Safety Stock" of their material, while Oda-sensei is still struggling with his health.

Dude what, I'm sure he answered that in some SBS. The Brazilian edition of One Piece has it but it's a couple editions behind (...ok, Enies Lobby is actually a couple YEARS behind), but even I could check it if someone knew the volume number.

Dude, I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. All the letters in your posts are always scrambled and I can't read 'em. I can somehow make out what you're trying to say:

SUUUUUUUUU~PER!!!!

Bellamy has this. This is One Piece, it's all about belief, standing for something, and how badly you desire to achieve your goal, and Bellamy seemed pretty damn focusedin that last chapter. The man has undergone a complete transformation since the Jaya arc, and that aside, I don't see the point of reintroducing him right now just to have him lose.

Bellamy
Why do you people suddenly like him now? SO DAMN SUDDENLY? THAT is the question. All he's done is not be a douche. At least Crocodile was willing to sacrifice himself to save Luffy-sama. Hence why I love Croc now. But this dbag??? He just said "I won't laugh at you anymore" and that's enough of an apology? Getting beatdown might show another side of him. A more likeable.. or an actually likeable side of him. You know him crying because his dreams were shattered and Bart laughing at him? Pissing of Luffy??? Losing this fight can develop Bellamys character more than him winning it tbh.

And yes, I hate Bellamy and I just want his ass kicked harder.

#neverforget

EDIT: This song is bringing to tears right now(thanks to that SUPER at the end):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Sjvdx5Pu0

The only reason I like the anime is for the damn voice actors bringing life to the Strawhats. And only enjoy watching the interaction between them. Best actors ever!

I also hate how the anime so disgustingly takes advantage of sister Robin-chans' and sister Nami-swanns' full figure. Like i'm perverted enough to be sexually attracted to characters I've gone through so much with.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

on a related note you mention how people SUDDENLY love bellamy. Even tho that isn't really a true statement, in return I would say WHY DO YOU SUDDENLY LOVE BART??

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
EDIT: This song is bringing to tears right now(thanks to that SUPER at the end):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Sjvdx5Pu0

The only reason I like the anime is for the damn voice actors bringing life to the Strawhats. And only enjoy watching the interaction between them. Best actors ever!

I also hate how the anime so disgustingly takes advantage of sister Robin-chans' and sister Nami-swanns' full figure. Like i'm perverted enough to be sexually attracted to characters I've gone through so much with.
WTF?

Bull of Heaven

Hate to say it, but I think I actually agree with some hero on this one. People have been talking about a possible redemption for Bellamy, but I don't remember seeing a single sign of that in the chapter. He's certainly matured since we last saw him, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should sympathize with him any more. I know not everyone is arguing otherwise, but I've seen traces of it in this thread.

Given what Bellamy said about Skypeia and the fact that he still thinks his future is with Doflamingo, I suspect this is just a stronger and more mature version of the same asshole we saw on Jaya. That doesn't mean he won't win, but it also doesn't mean that there's any need to develop him further. As for Bartolomeo, it seems odd that he would get the introduction he did just to lose so soon. Then again, Oda first introduced Bellamy by hyping someone else that he immediately beat. It could happen again. Seems weird that it would take more than one chapter though.

It's a tough call, but I'll vote Bartolomeo. Chou Toshio's arguments almost changed my mind, but I don't think we know enough about Bartolomeo yet to assume that Bellamy has any kind of advantage over him.

We know that Bellamy went to Sky Island (presumably Skypiea), we also know that the residents are unharmed due to the cover pages, finally we know that Bellamy was able to obtain the pillar of gold that they were going to give to luffy. This says that Bellamys character changed to the point where the Skypieans accepted him and willingly gave him the gold. Wyper was as strong as the M3 Bellamy couldn't have beaten him. Theres also the statement that he's a changed man he could very well be trying to get into Doflamingos executive ranks to betray him, its not much different from what Law appears to have done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)