Media One Piece (spoilers!)

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lol I wanted to say something for a while but forgot my password...whoops.

I think Matthew and Jimbo are talking different kinds of development here

Sure, Sanji got specialized facetime and shit happened to him (he fell in love, had to leave it). A lot of it was recycled though (we already knew he would make food for anyone); in fact, as cool as the last page in the last chapter was...we already knew that about Zeff / Sanji. It's kind of like Chou Toshio 's point that sure, those moments when someone in the SH crew is dying and says "MY CAPTAIN ISNT THAT KIND OF GUY" are cool in the moment, but after you already know that it's like "ok cool I guess?"

Not saying year of Sanji wasn't cool, and that I didn't enjoy getting some facetime with him, but it's hard for me to call that DEVELOPMENT, especially since One Piece is very specifically a shonen manga. It doesn't matter that Sanji is a cook / tactician / spy; if he's going to be a major member of the eventual pirate king's pirate crew in a shonen, he's going to have to be a top tier fighter. It would have just been cool to get some of that as well (still hoping a sanji-specialized germa suit is left on the sunny Robin-style (jimbo's idea))

Brooke, I agree with you. He was cool as fuck. He almost single (well double with Pedro's distractions) handedly retrieved the copy of the red poneglyph. Development ala shonen perspective? A little lacking. We didn't even get a hint of potential haki from Chopper / Nami / Brooke (or maybe we did? If we did I forget / missed it).

Nami could have some shonen style development I guess if she takes Zeus and has brooke help soul refine it into some super weather upgrade.

tldr - i agree with both of you. this arc had the sh members do cool / funny things. it's a kind of a development. it just didn't have enough shonen style fighting development, and regardless of what you say about jobs being cook / spy / musician / doctor / navigator / whatever, it's still a shonen. they're still going to have to be elite (especially if you draw parallels with Blackbeard, who seems to have _everyone_ (most actually confirmed) on his crew as a super fighter).

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Right -- I'm not saying this arc was bad, per say. It had a lot of great moments it's just hard to see the long term ramifications vs. arcs such as Enies Lobby, Marineford, Dressrosa...

And like Aldaron said, if there are going to be 1v1s with Blackbeard's crew then the SHs definitely still need to do some work. Remember, Blackbeard's crew basically tanked sengoku's moves... I can hardly see Nami or Usopp taking a shockwave and being completely fine to keep fighting (and I'm not saying they necessarily have to do something like that, but that is the kind of thing they'll be up against).

Sanji was hailed as one of the Monster Trio pre-time skip and still hasn't been given a 1v1 fight to completion since the time skip. He got his ass beat by doflamingo, struggled hard against Vergo, basically used 1-2 moves total on a wadatsumi.... am I missing anything? I just feel like it's an asspull to have a "year of sanji" and not even give him one serious fight (and I am not counting vs. Judge or Luffy..... come on now). Even his ~amazing idea~ to escape was ... literally just grab luffy and escape. ??????????

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I still maintain that Nami, as the wizard of this D&D party, has become one of the most powerful Straw Hats, just shy of the Monster Trio (if she's even shy of Sanji). She has devastating AOE, basically can't be hurt due to illusions, offered support that Luffy required to beat Cracker, and now has a Yonko's power. Weak initially, quadratic improvement in power. I can't be the only one who sees this.

I still maintain that Nami, as the wizard of this D&D party, has become one of the most powerful Straw Hats, just shy of the Monster Trio (if she's even shy of Sanji). She has devastating AOE, basically can't be hurt due to illusions, offered support that Luffy required to beat Cracker, and now has a Yonko's power. Weak initially, quadratic improvement in power. I can't be the only one who sees this.
A lot of people are stuck in the 1v1 mindset even though those fights haven't been a prominent part of NW at all.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wha
Lol I wanted to say something for a while but forgot my password...whoops.

I think Matthew and Jimbo are talking different kinds of development here

Sure, Sanji got specialized facetime and shit happened to him (he fell in love, had to leave it). A lot of it was recycled though (we already knew he would make food for anyone); in fact, as cool as the last page in the last chapter was...we already knew that about Zeff / Sanji. It's kind of like Chou Toshio 's point that sure, those moments when someone in the SH crew is dying and says "MY CAPTAIN ISNT THAT KIND OF GUY" are cool in the moment, but after you already know that it's like "ok cool I guess?"

Not saying year of Sanji wasn't cool, and that I didn't enjoy getting some facetime with him, but it's hard for me to call that DEVELOPMENT, especially since One Piece is very specifically a shonen manga. It doesn't matter that Sanji is a cook / tactician / spy; if he's going to be a major member of the eventual pirate king's pirate crew in a shonen, he's going to have to be a top tier fighter. It would have just been cool to get some of that as well (still hoping a sanji-specialized germa suit is left on the sunny Robin-style (jimbo's idea))

Brooke, I agree with you. He was cool as fuck. He almost single (well double with Pedro's distractions) handedly retrieved the copy of the red poneglyph. Development ala shonen perspective? A little lacking. We didn't even get a hint of potential haki from Chopper / Nami / Brooke (or maybe we did? If we did I forget / missed it).

Nami could have some shonen style development I guess if she takes Zeus and has brooke help soul refine it into some super weather upgrade.

tldr - i agree with both of you. this arc had the sh members do cool / funny things. it's a kind of a development. it just didn't have enough shonen style fighting development, and regardless of what you say about jobs being cook / spy / musician / doctor / navigator / whatever, it's still a shonen. they're still going to have to be elite (especially if you draw parallels with Blackbeard, who seems to have _everyone_ (most actually confirmed) on his crew as a super fighter).
What about Luffy learning to see into the future and Jinbei officially joining the crew?

I agree it would be cool if Sanji somehow learned to tap into his family’s powers...

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I agree it would be cool if Sanji somehow learned to tap into his family’s powers...
He doesn't already? Black Leg? The fact that he can just manifest fire that doesn't hurt him? All he's lacking is a suit, and he's got haki and moonjump to make up for it.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wha

What about Luffy learning to see into the future and Jinbei officially joining the crew?

I mean, yes, but I think the issue is that it was highlighted as the year of Sanji and a -Sanji- arc. And Jinbe officially joined the crew but still didn't actually... This is just leaving us to have another Jinbe save during the Wano arc.

I mean, yes, but I think the issue is that it was highlighted as the year of Sanji and a -Sanji- arc. And Jinbe officially joined the crew but still didn't actually... This is just leaving us to have another Jinbe save during the Wano arc.
jinbe will come back in the next 200 chapters like before and leave once again watch it happen

for those wondering, yes, i am taking full credit for predicting Zeus and the Raid suit, thank you.
that would be the case if more than half the one piece community/fanbase wasnt already theorizing zeus and nani/raid suit for sanji since the beginning of the arc lol

Great payoff/fanservice chapter, we did not get a reaction from revolutionaries so the theory that they'll appear in Reverie arc still holds for me
In at least two panels the newspapers are mentioning something about Vegapunk so this might be a teaser as well

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
that would be the case if more than half the one piece community/fanbase wasnt already theorizing zeus and nani/raid suit for sanji since the beginning of the arc lol
don't you talk to jimbo like that he's a very sensitive boy

there was also a picture of Whitebeard Jr in the newspaper captioned "WARNING". this probably means he's had his shichibukai status revoked or smth. we know fujitora's agenda is to abolish the shichibukai so if it doesn't come up during reverie then this must be it.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
mmmm just because i'm taking all the credit doesn't mean the credit is due!!

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
im reading through one piece right now (at fishman island arc) and this shit is wild I hope it gets better post war arc because the marineford war was a hype as shit arc. pls tell me it gets better and im not just reading it just to finish the story

also sometimes i peek into this thread just because idgaf about spoilers TOO much so its wild af to see Luffy referred to as the "fifth yonkou" lol thats crazy especially this early into one piece. doesnt the manga sitll have like 3 years left until it actually finishes??

3 years? Not too sure about that. Probably at least 5 to 6 years at this point. You'll have a lot to look forward to regardless. After the Reverie, we'll have Wano and a few final arcs from what I can tell so far.

Either way, I'm hyped to see Luffy as the fifth emperor. Will the 1,500,000,000 Belly mark be his final bounty? The first Four Emperors are ridiculously powerful and much stronger than Luffy right now. Since Big Mom didn't get her ass kicked yet, will Kaido even be fought at all?

im reading through one piece right now (at fishman island arc) and this shit is wild I hope it gets better post war arc because the marineford war was a hype as shit arc. pls tell me it gets better and im not just reading it just to finish the story

also sometimes i peek into this thread just because idgaf about spoilers TOO much so its wild af to see Luffy referred to as the "fifth yonkou" lol thats crazy especially this early into one piece. doesnt the manga sitll have like 3 years left until it actually finishes??
3 years is like 2-3 arcs, we're definitely not that close.

And yes, it does get more hype. Fishman Island sucks though.

3 years? Not too sure about that. Probably at least 5 to 6 years at this point. You'll have a lot to look forward to regardless. After the Reverie, we'll have Wano and a few final arcs from what I can tell so far.

Either way, I'm hyped to see Luffy as the fifth emperor. Will the 1,500,000,000 Belly mark be his final bounty? The first Four Emperors are ridiculously powerful and much stronger than Luffy right now. Since Big Mom didn't get her ass kicked yet, will Kaido even be fought at all?
during an interview, Oda latest editor revealed the progress of One Piece Manga already around 70 % - date July 17th 2015

with some simple maths, thats down to less than 10 years we have left for the manga to end since according to the interviews, one piece was planned for 3-4 decades to run, this can be alot longer due to oda health and breaks. one piece can still go through another timeskip and there's so much stuff to cover and the final arcs will not be a "few arcs" we still have space travel and the moon arc etc, since the moons are pretty important in the one piece verse, even after raftel arc one piece will still have ALOT to cover, the story is vase and needs to be completed in its entirety.

mmmm just because i'm taking all the credit doesn't mean the credit is due!!
im just saying u shouldnt take credit at all since oda already stated that nani WILL get a power up by the end of the arc, and then it was further hinted to be zeus, every interaction between zeus and nani proved this. obvious stuff like this are obvious, everyone knew nani will either use zeus just for that moment or she will keep zeus as an "power up", it was narrowed down to these 2 options because we dont know how big mom souls work, we didnt know if nani can just keep a part of big mom soul but it was indicated that it wasnt her soul exactly zeus just feeds off of her.
and about the raid suit, im quite confused about what u meant, everyone should know that sanji had a raid suit since birth and judge created the raid suits for each child before they were even born lol otherwise judge wouldnt have a raid suit that was suited for sanji because sanji wasnt even with judge for a solid 10 years of his life and it was already stated lol however u could be referring to whether he would get the raid suit or not if thats what u meant then thats my bad

and can everyone stop referring to reverie as an "arc", it will be a nothing short of a mini arc because nothing "big" will happen its just "talks between countries" no fights or anything will happen at the holy land its literally impossible unless someone from inside tries to interfere and somehow gets into the holy land undetected. oda wouldnt do that, its way too uncharacteristic of his writing style.

Last edited:

Jimbo

take me anywhere
wow this was a lot .
fam it's not that deep .... i'm just taking all the credit here, if you wanted the credits for those predictions you should've spoken up sooner!

anyway, reverie arc is gonna be great - can't wait for the revolutionaries to crash it so we can finally see the extent of Dragon's powers

EDIT: Matthew i cackled. Love nani

Arcs we know we are getting:
Reverie (probably fairly short, like Zou)
Wano (long, will take a year+)

Things that need to be dealt with:
Big Mom
Revolutionary Army
Shanks
Weevil
Void Century
Zoro vs Mihawk
Green Bull

And after One Piece is found, we're getting a huge war that will change the world. There's A LOT to cover still.

Conni

katharsis
What do you all think of Luffy's new bounty?
It may have jumped by a billion but it is pretty fair considering he defeated Katakuri (Dogtooth) and Cracker who have high bounties and are the commanders of a Yonkou's army. Also he almost succeeded and the damage done to Big Mom's territory is also pretty great so my overall opinion is that his new bounty is pretty just.

Sanji's too, he played quite the big part in the assassination attempt of Big Mom. He also fought really well against her elder children who probably have high bounties too but I don't think Luffy's and Sanji's bounties are the only ones that went up. Surely Nami, Chopper, maybe even Carrott might have new bounties, also Jinbe's exact bounty amount should be confirmed too. Bounties don't really matter but they're a cool part of the story I like but overall I really look forward to the reverie arc. Curious to see the marines, revolutionaries, and also the journey to the Wano arc and involvement with Kaido. Lets hope for a nice new arc!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)