Media One Piece (spoilers!)

Hey, as I said I would do previously, I finally managed to switch to the manga and finish the Thriller Bark arc. I'm sticking with this over the anime due to the pacing.

At the end of that arc, Lola mentioned something about Big Mom being a potential ally for Luffy, even though she's still an antagonist right now. What do you guys think about Linlin switching sides after Luffy takes down Kaido? Is this possible based on the way One Piece is going right now?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, as I said I would do previously, I finally managed to switch to the manga and finish the Thriller Bark arc. I'm sticking with this over the anime due to the pacing.

At the end of that arc, Lola mentioned something about Big Mom being a potential ally for Luffy, even though she's still an antagonist right now. What do you guys think about Linlin switching sides after Luffy takes down Kaido? Is this possible based on the way One Piece is going right now?
No way in heck. There's still Luffy taking one of her territories, her being kind of a dick, and Luffy's 2nd fight with Big Mom over FI. Like I swear to god if FI the recap doesn't happen Oda is missing on such a huge plot it's insane.

As of the latest chapter, it seems that Zoro, Usopp, Robin, and Franky finally arrived in Wano. Let's try to prepare ourselves for a two-year arc as Luffy takes Kaido down.

In regards to my personal progress, I just finished reading the first Sabaody Arc, and I'm going to try to binge-read the rest of Summit War in the same week when I actually go back to doing so.

Killua kun

Pkmn/HxH
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Most likely in the next chapter kaido Will come back to wano, and the mugiwaras , who dont still have their captain on their side, Will be forced to start fighting.
I suppose Luffy is going to face a large scale war just as he gets to wano and to complicate everything big mom will join kaido..
Moving on to Marco, his power is more versatile that I thought, we also learnt about his role on whitebeard's ship, and a lot of information about his former captain.
At the moment he wants to protect wb's country from weevil, therefore we wont be able to see him fightin' on luffy's side that soon

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like how this chapter casually re-establishes Luffy's Conqueror's Haki, it's like second nature to him now. Luffy seems more naturally intimidating like the other Yonko (he's the "5th Emperor" now). That's a nice, subtle development.

I don't even remember Ace went to Wano. Wonder what is his history there.

The way the Manga is set up, I think we will have a Luffy + Law + Kidd alliance at some point

Wasn’t that where he learnt to make Oars Jr.’s hat?

What would be interesting is if Killer managed to escape Kaido and sought out Luffy to free Kidd for a 3 captain assault on Kaido.
Yup. I completely forgot this detail until it was brought up.

This is what I am expecting to happen. 3 of the strongest Worst Generation captains vs Kaido + 2 Worst Generation (Appo and Hawkins)

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Apoo and Hawkins defect once they realize that Luffy and co have an actual shot at taking down Kaido. That being said, remember that Drake is also a subordinate of Kaido and has been for much longer (most likely from around the beginning of the timeskip!)

Killua kun

Pkmn/HxH
how old is that girl luffy met? I wonder why she keeps waiting For ace in the truth. Moving on to howking, I suppose He wants to tell luffy where kid is, in order to rescue him. We will surely see luffy, law and kidd against kaido in this arc

Killua kun

Pkmn/HxH
luffy already got a power up by fighting against katakury, U can see it in this chapter which shows an improved luffy's observation haki
Although I agree with u that it's not enough yet to deal with both kaido and big mom.
Luffy needs to get his fruit awaken to have a chance.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
luffy already got a power up by fighting against katakury, U can see it in this chapter which shows an improved luffy's observation haki
Although I agree with u that it's not enough yet to deal with both kaido and big mom.
Luffy needs to get his fruit awaken to have a chance.
I wholly agree with this. I also bet we will see Sanji use his raid suit and zoro obviously get a significant power up / he hasn't even gone full out since the time skip. With the rate the manga is going I think the entire crew is due for some good stuff

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What the heck is Law doing there... I don't remember him saying anything about going to Wano earlier, but I guess he met up with his crewmates again. This will be interesting.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't really get how the last chapter (kidnapping) happens with Luffy's supposed "Katakuri-style" dipping into the future awakening of his Observation Haki...

Katakuri seemed to not even have to "activate" it...he just noticed things.

Is the argument Luffy just isn't there "yet"?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't really get how the last chapter (kidnapping) happens with Luffy's supposed "Katakuri-style" dipping into the future awakening of his Observation Haki...

We've barely started the next arc and future observation is already stupid

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Katakuri had how many years to hone his? Seems very likely that Luffy's is combat exclusive for now.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Katakuri had how many years to hone his? Seems very likely that Luffy's is combat exclusive for now.
The reason I am confused is because I don't know if that (logical assumption) is really what has been shown to us (note, I mentioned the possibility that Luffy simply isn't there "yet" in my post, as it "makes sense")

Look at chapter 911: https://www.readmng.com/one-piece1/911/all-pages

^ About a quarter of the way down, Luffy is just casually looking at the beasts fighting, barely involved. Yet when the guys in the forest see Luffy and shoot him, before any in-panel indication that they showed themselves, Luffy uses what everyone assumed was the "Katakuri Haki" and owns them.

Yet, here: https://www.readmng.com/one-piece1/914/all-pages

^About halfway down, they are in an actual battle situation (Zoro blocked the arrow previous to this and they are on guard), Luffy misses the Tama getting kidnapped thing entirely.

So yea, I agree that it "makes sense" that Katakuri had many more years to hone his Haki so Luffy by common sense shouldn't be there yet...but it's not what we've shown directly in-panel.

Aldaron

geriatric
Fat Batman was right in front of them, do you really think Luffy would pay attention to anything else in that situation?
Yea but, in the example of his "future sight" haki activating when he landed, there was a literal fight happening right in front of him affecting his ship.

I find it hard to believe that that fight would have any less of his attention than fat batman in the other situation (especially since in the former he was alone and in the latter he had zoro next to him)

caught up recently from Punk Hazard

Whole Cake Island was probably one of my favorite arcs in the series, I think splitting up the crew was a good move. Dressrosa still had some great high points but it felt like it was trying to juggle too many things at once, with 10 Strawhats + several important arc-specific characters on their side. Whole Cake did that much better with the sorta-exception of Sanji himself, he didn't really see much in the way of combat (and this was after he didn't have a big fight in Dressrosa either). Doing an arc where they don't outright fight Big Mom was probably the best way to ease into the Yonkou without it being too much of a jump in power levels.

also I love how Caesar went from a major villain to prisoner/gag material for 2 straight arcs and how Brulee was basically just used as a powerup for team Strawhats

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)