OnePunch-Man (Anpanman) [Spoilers ITT]

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus

(Click Cover to Read)​

This series has been a pretty big hit among the manga community and has seen a huge surge in popularity in mid-2013. Beautiful art-style coupled with a hilarious and unique storyline this Manga turns a metaphorical fresh-leaf in the fighting genre. Like seriously who would have thought there would be such a fascinating story about a man BORED with winning?
So why not have a stab and see if any other fans are here over at Smogon?

Synopsis
In this new action-comedy, everything about a young man named Saitama screams "AVERAGE,” from his lifeless expression, to his bald head, to his unimpressive physique. However, this average-looking fellow doesn't have your average problem... He's actually a superhero that's looking for tough opponents! The problem is, every time he finds a promising candidate he beats the snot out of them in one punch. Can Saitama finally find an evil villain strong enough to challenge him? Follow Saitama through his hilarious romps as he searches for new bad guys to challenge!
--

The story is the main selling point of this manga IMO. Move over Shonuens with identical plotlines and dark serious post-apocalyptic stories where you're drip-fed details. Absolutely hilarious while still managing to remain pretty simple and direct. Art Direction is fantastic with an extraordinary attention to detail. Character development is thorough and well paced despite the plot being comic in nature, by no means is it shallow.
The USP is however the Protagonist Saitama itself, The creator has managed to create a deep interesting character, which still manages to look like it walked out of a saturday morning kids show. And the villains to a large degree are a parody of your typical anime/manga villains, (which is great humor-wise!)

So yeah, discuss!

Last edited:

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this is honestly one of my favorites atm

I heard the original is good but I can't really stand the art so I'm sticking with the manga version atm and looooooooveeee it

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Oh lol I didn't know this thread exists

I've been reading OnePunchMan for a while and it's hilarious.

This is definitely pretty funny, and it has a plot that doesn't suck.

I like licenseless rider, with his catchphrases every time he enters and complete lack of any sort of special ability. He is still badass though.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Back from when most of you didn't give a shit.

Anyways the (imo p fantastic) anime adaptation ended this week, and I wanted to take a chance and jumpstart this thread again to discuss the manga, now that more than five people are perhaps following the story now.
I find opm's main charm to be that subversive story instead of Saitama's gimmick, and something that deserves more attention than the flashy anime.

The story is at a pretty interesting place, and I'll not talk about it rn, because I'd wait for a few more of you catch up if you wish to. Hint hint, it's right now at the epoch of the Bang-Garou side plot hinted in the last arc of the anime.

Even if you've watched the anime do read the manga. It's a very distinct experience in itself, and the art is fucking fantastic compared to most high profile manga out there. This is strictly subjective but i feel that the manga itself manages to generate more life and animation than (heh) the animation.
I'll just leave my favorite comparison shot here [from the sonic fight]:

(remember this is the entire madhouse animation staff vs a mangaka with a few successive static panels)

So yeah I hope we can get a discussion going. 2 years on and it's heartening to see this series get all this popular love.

I read the manga a while back, watched the anime as it came out, then re-read the redraw and read the original immediately after

the series is fantastic and though the art in the ONE version can be off-putting initially, you get used to it very quickly. plus the garou fight is amazing and the redraw isn't there yet (and won't be for a while). way more hype than the boros fight, though both are awesome in their own respects

Both Murata and ONE want to make a sequel and the series is probably going to sell extremely well, so the only thing stopping the production of a sequel is the source material. The anime managed to cover around 36 "chapters" so far, ending at the Boros arc. The redraw is only up to around chapter 58.

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I never read Manga or Web comic(not one for reading manga) but I gotta say the anime was great. It was funny had a good story, I loved the animation style and the character's. I can only assume there will be a sequal considering how popular the anime was

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Both Murata and ONE want to make a sequel and the series is probably going to sell extremely well, so the only thing stopping the production of a sequel is the source material. The anime managed to cover around 36 "chapters" so far, ending at the Boros arc. The redraw is only up to around chapter 58.
Aye the redraw is slow, but given the topnotch quality I really can't complain. Part of the success of the anime is a successful imitation (to a large degree) of Murata's style during key animation. I think they'll give it a year or so before commencing on a sequel because key animators will have a hard time working off ONE material for the newer characters/locations not yet introduced in the redraws, unless of course they decide to take a leap of faith during Character Design or somehow collaborate with Murata Yuusuke to get them pre-publication. But unlikely that'll happen because OPM manga sales have shot through the roof since the adaptation, and they'll want to milk that cow for a while.

I personally hope it's the former, because I don't want them rushing to produce the sequel and pull a Pierrot or something. The Garou arc deserves time and love.

I know they're dedicated to quality and I've heard that ONE has personally rejected a LOT of Murata's work because it wasn't up to his standards. Both ONE and Murata are motivated to get a second season and the redraw chapters should be coming out much faster now, but even if we get one every two weeks there won't be enough material for a second season for about half a year.

There's nothing stopping Madhouse from starting production of a second season slightly early since all of the source material is technically there in the ONE version, but it's a risky move.

I decided to watch the third episode because I had only watched the first two episodes

I could tell it was my type of anime when Saitama said Carnage Kabuto turned Genos into modern art

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)