SS OU Operation: Desert Storm - A Beginner Seeking Criticism and Advice

Hello! I hate to be a bother to anyone, but I recently picked up the idea of competitive Pokémon, and I thought that perhaps I’d give it a shot. Turns out, however, that building a team was extremely difficult. There were so many times where I had to stop and change the team over and over again simply because I’d run face first into a glaring flaw in my team’s overall design. It was rather frustrating, but at last I finally have a product that doesn’t look like it’s completely terrible on paper. Do I think it’s perfect? Far from it, I’m sure, but that’s why I’m here. Everyone here is far more experienced at competitive Pokémon than I am, so it would be a mistake to not ask for advice from the experts.

Operation: Desert Storm

:tyranitar: :excadrill: :dracozolt: :kommo-o: :corviknight: :slowking:

As one should be able to tell from a quick glance from the team preview, this team is built around Sandstorm. I tried my best to have my team support and thrive while a sandstorm is active, allowing for some of my major threats to take advantage of teams. A simple game plan, really, simply set up Excadrill to clean through an enemy team. That’s the name of this team’s endgame.

:tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

As any sandstorm team requires, I needed to choose a Pokémon with Sand Stream as an ability to easily and freely set up Sandstorm for the rest of my team to thrive. Ultimately I chose Tyranitar to be the man for the job. The set is fairly self explanatory, Rock Blast is nice STAB, though it can be somewhat unreliable due to the random nature of the move, Earthquake offers nice coverage alongside the Rock-Type STAB, Stealth Rocks are a must for any team worth their salt, so this was an obvious addition to this more supportive, bulky Pokemon, and finally, I rounded out the set with Thunder Wave, thanks to paralysis crippling potential major threats.

:excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Now, we have the star of the show. Our “win condition” is none other than Excadrill, who, with Sand Rush, hits a ridiculous speed tier that is practically unmatched, as well as some rather horrifying power to boot. Ultimately, the name of the game is to get Excadrill in safely, while under the effects of a sandstorm to pick off the remnants of a severely weakened team. Earthquake and Iron Headare the most obvious choices for STAB available to Excadrill, Swords Dance, if we can safely get it off, allows us to cleave through Pokémon, and finally, Rapid Spin is here for additional hazard control, though it is worth noting that Excadrill is not the main spinner or defogger, which leads me to consider if running something else, such as Rock Slide, in this slot would be a wise choice or not.

:dracozolt:
Dracozolt @ Life Orb
EVs: 120 Atk / 136 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Dracozolt is an amazing wallbreaker for this team, thanks to its natural power boosted alongside the fact that this amalgamation somehow also has Sand Rush. The other massive upside to using Dracozolt is the fact that it’s a mixed wallbreaker, allowing for us to handle all sorts of threats with ease. On the physical side of the spectrum, Bolt Beak is actually nuts, allowing for double base power if we go first, which, given the fact that we have Sand Rush, is easy to do given we aren’t out prioritized, and Earthquake allows us to answer steels and rocks with ease. On the special side, we have Draco Meteor for special STAB, and Fire Blast to catch some possible answers off guard. Overall, Dracozolt is an absolute menace and nightmare to switch into.

:kommo-o:
Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Flamethrower

There’s nothing that I like more than to include at least one Pokémon on a team that isn’t the norm to see. Bringing a Pokémon like Kommo-o into OU was rather interesting, as ultimately I don’t believe that it is all that bad, from my own experience so far. Originally, I was using a mixed wallbreaker Garchomp in this spot, but I wasn’t finding much success with it, so I decided to try and think outside of the box a little. This was the result. Knowing that doing something like this as a beginner is likely a terrible idea, but I went through with it nevertheless. The set is rather self explanatory, break open a hole in the opponent’s team so that Excadrill can clean up later. Clangorous Scales is a fantastic STAB, especially because I don’t force myself to lock into Outrage for several turns, and pairing this with STAB Close Combat means that Kommo-o can easily cleave through teams. The remaining moves available to Kommo-o are for general coverage, those, of course, being Poison Jab and Flamethrower. The best part about Kommo-o, which was what pushed me to give it a try to begin with, was the fact that Kommo-o has Overcoat, meaning that any chip damage from sandstorm that would normally shorten the longevity even further of the powerhouse is negated.

:Corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Finally, I wanted to make sure that this team had some sort of defensive backbone to it. Enter the first half of that backbone, Corviknight. The set, again, is fairly self explanatory. Defog is fantastic for hazard control, meaning that Corviknight is not only our primary physical tank, but also our primary defogger. Roost is key for sustainability throughout a battle. U-Turn is amazing for this team, as having the ability to pivot between my defensive Pokémon easily is not only a wonderful trait, but this also allows me tk possibly send in a Pokémon safely, which is critical for this team to succeed. Finally, Brave Bird is STAB that prevents this Pokémon from being taunt fodder.

:slowking:
Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Future Sight
- Teleport

Behold the most innovative set come to mankind. It’s Slowbro, but with special defense instead of physical defense. Truly we have reached the pinnacle of modern genius. In all seriousness though, Slowking is a fantastic teammate to have. Having a special tank that’s not named Tyranitar is wonderful, as I don’t need to risk losing one of the most important parts of the team, and Slowking has done a good job so far. Scald is a fantastic STAB that can cripple physical attacking threats, Slack Off is wonderful to have in conjunction with Regenerator, allowing for Slowking to be very healthy throughout the fight, Future Sight is interesting, as not only is it very powerful, but it only makes switching into Dracozolt and Kommo-o even more difficult, and, of course, Teleport is there for slow, safe switch ins for our powerful threats.

Conclusion

So, that’s what I have to share with you today. I recognize the fact that this is likely a flawed team in one way or another, so I ask of those who take the time to read through this and get this far to give me a suggestion as to how to improve the team. Any and all advice will be acceptable, no matter how small or drastic the change may be. Thank you for your time, and I hope you all have a lovely rest of your day.

:tyranitar: :excadrill: :dracozolt: :kommo-o: :corviknight: :slowking:

seems pretty good, however you seems to have problems vs kartana/specs mag

would run crunch on ttar for spectrier

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Kartana isn't a problem as Corvinight just walls it forever. Magearna is an issue tho because that pokemon is absolute bullshit

At any rate, here are my suggestions for it and I'm speaking on these from experience on my own sand team

On Tyranitar, replace thunder wave with crunch. Speed control isn't that necessary due to how Excadrill outruns nearly every, or maybe even everything when sand is up. Also replace earthquake with ice beam or ice punch. Garchomp and Landorus love to set up on Tyranitar so killing them when they think free setup is a too good to pass up, especially if its scale shot Garchomp as it threatens to outspeed and rip apart your entire team

On Excadrill, replace rapid spin with rock slide. The last thing you want is to be walled by Moltres or Zapdos or worse yet, get crippled by their abilities. You don't really need to spin as even without sand, after a swords dance, Excadrill is a powerful wallbreaker on its own. Also, go with life orb. It gives you the power needed if swords dance isn't an option. Also, consider going adamant but that's up to you

Last thing, replace Kommo o with dark Urshifu. There is almost no reason to use any fighting type other than it due to how obscenely broken it is and it can easily punch huge holes in the enemy. Yes, checks and counters for it exist but with u turn, they become nothing more than a free switch to Dracozolt or Excadrill. Abuse it before it gets banned by tomorrow or the day after

Here are the changes I suggest

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Abiltiy: Sand Stream
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat

These are my suggestions. The team is still Magearna weak but really, any team without Heatran or Toxapex is gonna be weak to it and I don't think having four pokemon weak to ground is a good idea. You'll have to play aggressively to deal with Magearna especially if its the cancer shift gear + calm mind

Kartana isn't a problem as Corvinight just walls it forever. Magearna is an issue tho because that pokemon is absolute bullshit

At any rate, here are my suggestions for it and I'm speaking on these from experience on my own sand team

On Tyranitar, replace thunder wave with crunch. Speed control isn't that necessary due to how Excadrill outruns nearly every, or maybe even everything when sand is up. Also replace earthquake with ice beam or ice punch. Garchomp and Landorus love to set up on Tyranitar so killing them when they think free setup is a too good to pass up, especially if its scale shot Garchomp as it threatens to outspeed and rip apart your entire team

On Excadrill, replace rapid spin with rock slide. The last thing you want is to be walled by Moltres or Zapdos or worse yet, get crippled by their abilities. You don't really need to spin as even without sand, after a swords dance, Excadrill is a powerful wallbreaker on its own. Also, go with life orb. It gives you the power needed if swords dance isn't an option. Also, consider going adamant but that's up to you

Last thing, replace Kommo o with dark Urshifu. There is almost no reason to use any fighting type other than it due to how obscenely broken it is and it can easily punch huge holes in the enemy. Yes, checks and counters for it exist but with u turn, they become nothing more than a free switch to Dracozolt or Excadrill. Abuse it before it gets banned by tomorrow or the day after

Here are the changes I suggest

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Abiltiy: Sand Stream
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat

These are my suggestions. The team is still Magearna weak but really, any team without Heatran or Toxapex is gonna be weak to it and I don't think having four pokemon weak to ground is a good idea. You'll have to play aggressively to deal with Magearna especially if its the cancer shift gear + calm mind
Hey, thanks for such a long and in depth reply! I’m going to try out the suggested changes, though I am curious as to what Pokémon to replace Urshifu with if/when it becomes banned. Should I just bring back Kommo-o if Urshifu is banned, or is there another wallbreaker that makes sense for this team?

Hey, thanks for such a long and in depth reply! I’m going to try out the suggested changes, though I am curious as to what Pokémon to replace Urshifu with if/when it becomes banned. Should I just bring back Kommo-o if Urshifu is banned, or is there another wallbreaker that makes sense for this team?
Honestly, Excadrill and especially Dracozolt are so powerful you may not need another breaker. However, I recommend you try Rillaboom. Both Excadrill and Dracozolt struggle with Spdef Hippowdon, as it can live all their hits and KO/deal damage back with Earthquake. Rillaboom is not only a safe offensive switch into Hippowdon, it's grassy terrain also halves the power of Hippowdon's Earthquake so Excadrill can break through Spdef variants with +2 EQ and Dracozolt can break through Physdef variants with Fire Blast and Draco Meteor. The powerful priority also helps with threatening pokemon such as Shift Gear magearna and opposing rain teams. Common Rillaboom answers like Grass types and flying types are just asking to be U-turned on into Dracozolt. If you do make this switch, make sure to change Ttar's and Excadrill's EQ into High Horsepower, since Grassy terrain halves EQ's power.

Edit: You may also want something like a Hippowdon or Toxapex to make sure you're good against Cinderace. Generally Excadrill and Dracozolt are able to get the sweeping and breaking drop done, and strengthening your defensive core may also be a good idea. At least until Urshifu is banned you could put a Clefable there.

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
musiquepkmn is right, Hippowdown is a pain in the ass. Personally, I would just drop Dracozolt. Having two weather overreliant pokemon really unnerves me. For one thing, Tyranitar doesn't have a switch move unlike Pelipper and second, you cannot afford to run smooth rock because you need the recovery otherwise it will get worn down to the point where Spectrier can brute force its way thru Godzilla. On my own personal sand team, I use a specs Lele over Dracozolt for that reason. Lele is still a mixed wallbreaker thanks to psychic and psyshock and it has focus blast to power thru Heatran. Dark types aren't even a safe switch due to moonblast. If Urshifu gets banned, I would probably use scarf Landorus Therian. That way the pressure isn't too much on Tyranitar to get in and set up sand just so you can have a fast threat. Here's a sample final team, assuming Urshifu gets banned, which surprisingly hasn't happened yet. Maybe it's just me being a few hours ahead but whatever

https://pokepast.es/3e7719a060feed5b

If you're not that concerned about sending Tyranitar out that many times then use something like Nidoking because Toxapex is annoying as hell and it would be trouble if you have to consistently defog just to keep toxic spikes away. Here's the set I suggest

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)