Opinions on Star Wars 9?

737373elj

Banned deucer.
So I recently discovered the trailer for the new Star Wars movie, and I can’t make Head or Tail of it. So I was wondering, what do you think?
Trailer below:

I think it looks interesting, and am ready to see the direction they take it. I'm worried though about how accurate that is for being canon, or if they're just pulling vision shenanigans. Overall would say it looks like a good blend of the story they're building with current Extended Universe materials.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
I’m really Thinking that this trilogy is just a warmed-over version of the previous one, so no surprises if the plot turns out similar. All the same, I have no idea where all the details fit in.

I’m really Thinking that this trilogy is just a warmed-over version of the previous one, so no surprises if the plot turns out similar. All the same, I have no idea where all the details fit in.
Totally agree! I feel like I'm just rewatching 4-6 as if it was repackaged, here's to hoping for some differentiation in this new one!

i said this in some other star wars thread i think when 7 first came out, but it would've been sick if they did a role reversal in 8 where rey goes bad and kylo becomes good. it would be 1000000x better then whatever "new out of nowhere very powerful bad faction" vs "small group of rebels that is connected to larger republic that just is ok with the new empire existing???" plot theyve got set up for next. like it would have added so much depth to that conflict and made it actually really interesting. it's very simple, doesn't complicate things too much, and gives everyone a reason to be invested in this conflict. honestly im really not sure what exactly has been the point of these movies beyond setting up the same old good side vs evil side except with different people and some throwbacks to the original series. i mean i guess rey is a strong female lead that young kids look up to and whatever so i see what disney wouldn't want to go for that. probably harder to sell good kylo vs rey.

it just pisses me off how awesome star wars is and how they manage to bungle the media. the films could've been so much more. they haven't been able to release a good star wars game in the past decade. bleh.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
it just pisses me off how awesome star wars is and how they manage to bungle the media. the films could've been so much more. they haven't been able to release a good star wars game in the past decade. bleh.
This is my opinion completely. I preferred the original 6 and I would even have preferred not making any other movies if Disney would bungle it up.

That's kind of how I feel as well, while the new ones have cool scenes by themselves that make them good, the overall product isn't as quality compared to the original 6. Hell I'd take something on par with the phantom menace quality, if it meant I got an entirely new story that wasn't taken from a previous film in the series.

i said this in some other star wars thread i think when 7 first came out, but it would've been sick if they did a role reversal in 8 where rey goes bad and kylo becomes good. it would be 1000000x better then whatever "new out of nowhere very powerful bad faction" vs "small group of rebels that is connected to larger republic that just is ok with the new empire existing???" plot theyve got set up for next. like it would have added so much depth to that conflict and made it actually really interesting. it's very simple, doesn't complicate things too much, and gives everyone a reason to be invested in this conflict. honestly im really not sure what exactly has been the point of these movies beyond setting up the same old good side vs evil side except with different people and some throwbacks to the original series. i mean i guess rey is a strong female lead that young kids look up to and whatever so i see what disney wouldn't want to go for that. probably harder to sell good kylo vs rey.

To be fair Disney was set to do good with the franchise and just be like "lets ignore any backlash to episode 8...." That is until they lost their shirt on both Solo and the Star wars land in Florida/California... Right now they are likely trying to save their asses and keep up the brand of Starwars

Which is also (To go off your Video game comment) is why they gave exclusivity rights to EA... which has backfired horribly as in the almost... decade? that they've handed the Star Wars license to EA.... EA has only gotten out two console games.... WHO I should remind you.. they own fucking BIOWARE... yknow the KOTOR people?

Now I know that the VG problem might not be 100% EAs fault but EA cancelled a shit ton of starwars games... and ive heard in some of those cancelled projects that they needed to basically get someone from Lucasarts to scrutinize over every little detail of the build... which of course would slow progress already more than normal.

Anyways Disney is in panic mode after three major failures that likely have devauled the star wars brand.... Episode 8, Battlefront 2, and Solo. This is why they are likely trying to make Episode 9 as appealing as possible, and have major reworks on other substories they had planned such as the Obi Wan Kanobi movie... this is due to those mistakes and misteps that the fans feel that theyve done to Star wars

While I don't want the entire movie to be based off fan service it doesn't hurt when it comes to rebuilding brand image. Let's just hope it's more professional than leaving it up to what fans deem the most popular opinion.

To be fair Disney was set to do good with the franchise and just be like "lets ignore any backlash to episode 8...." That is until they lost their shirt on both Solo and the Star wars land in Florida/California... Right now they are likely trying to save their asses and keep up the brand of Starwars

Which is also (To go off your Video game comment) is why they gave exclusivity rights to EA... which has backfired horribly as in the almost... decade? that they've handed the Star Wars license to EA.... EA has only gotten out two console games.... WHO I should remind you.. they own fucking BIOWARE... yknow the KOTOR people?

Now I know that the VG problem might not be 100% EAs fault but EA cancelled a shit ton of starwars games... and ive heard in some of those cancelled projects that they needed to basically get someone from Lucasarts to scrutinize over every little detail of the build... which of course would slow progress already more than normal.

Anyways Disney is in panic mode after three major failures that likely have devauled the star wars brand.... Episode 8, Battlefront 2, and Solo. This is why they are likely trying to make Episode 9 as appealing as possible, and have major reworks on other substories they had planned such as the Obi Wan Kanobi movie... this is due to those mistakes and misteps that the fans feel that theyve done to Star wars
fax bro you bring up a lot of great points here. the video game thing is so baffling to me because it's not as if a star wars video game is uncharted territory...a good portion of my childhood were these star wars games, battlefront 1 and 2, the empire at war series...not to mention KOTOR which i only discovered a couple years ago but is an incredible game and probably one of the most enjoyable games i've played in the last couple years. I wonder if this because singleplayer games have stepped out of the limelight in favor of multiplayer games where you can add on microtransactions and make a killing that way. I think this is where EA exclusivity is really hurting because I feel like there's been a definite shift towards recognizing that strong story driven narratives can still succeed and sell well. at the very least its possible to do both without quality suffering IMO

Bioware to me is not the studio that made KOTOR and the ME games so whether or not they'd be able to make a good star wars game rn is up in the air. That said, while I think it's popular opinion to say that they suck now, I think that's going a bit too far (eg. I actually really enjoyed ME: Andromeda so I think their ability to make single player games is still there). I also forgot about SWTOR which I would consider to be a fairly recent (if not the most recent?) SW single player game as I read it has a sizable single player campaign. I always turned off by the MMORPG aspects though which for me killed the immersion and most of my interest.

I dunno, I guess the difficulty is that the power of Star Wars is that it's not just a singular contained story but an entire universe so it's open to a lot of different interpretations. Maybe Disney doesn't want it to get super convoluted with different stories canonized? (I thought rolling back the EU was a good call for the fact that shit just gets way too complicated). But it's looking increasingly likely that whoever is in charge at Disney isn't really interested in developing the universe and coming up with different characters/settings/narratives and instead just using it to print $$$. Which is a big shame because it's not like they need complicated ideas!!! They have such a good foundation (the films obviously but also a game like KOTOR!) but I guess when a franchise gets so big there's no need to be so creative. Alas. Here's hoping the upcoming Fallen Order game is at least playable.

i surprisingly enjoyed the movie (or rather the big "twist" rey is a palpatine!!!) i dunno, i thought the twist would be dumb and prove that they really had no ideas but actually it was the direction they should've been going all along. rey was always interesting to me because she's an unknown quantity with extraordinary power. the moments where they tapped into her raw power were the times she was most interesting, although it would've been nice if they at least gave her some semblance of a character flaw (was it ever believable that she was going to do anything but the right thing for her friends? it would've been cool if she accidentally did something messed up because she wanted to do something for her friends so badly. like the scene where she crashes the ship she thinks chewy is on but more of that). i appreciate that they tried to bring everything back together and i feel it mostly worked. at the very least i felt satisfied with the ending. i guess "nostalgia" is a big reason why but it felt like they managed to tie everything together nicely enough...maybe i should just leave it at that and never rewatch tlj or tfa.......

once again though the whole sequel trilogy just really suffers from a lack of vision for the main characters and a lack of a compelling context to place these characters in. i guess having a huge army on some random planet in the middle of nowhere is better (although where do those soldiers manning those ships come from lul) but the "destroy planet" trope is re-used once again and it's just dull and unimaginative and nonsensical as it was before. i feel like jj and co. really overwhelmed themselves by thinking that star wars needs to be big and vast when the original trilogy is really not about a large galaxy but instead is a pretty narrow and focused series about a small cast of characters in a very select few settings. i mean yeah, it was always going to be hard to have a coherent setting off the back of rotj but there has to have been something better than reimagining the big bad empire vs a small bad of rebels once more. couldn't we have just gotten a straight jedi vs sith plot and leave the rest of the galaxy out of it??? instead what we got was a narrative trying to encompass many things with different actors doing different things all over the galaxy and we lose focus on what is actually important. time that could've and should've been spent on developing finn as a character for instance or giving him a meaningful sideplot is wasted. i just cant understand why there wasn't an overarching vision and why the films had to be so detached from each other. idk.

i'm not really a critical guy so maybe saying that i'm fairly satisfied with the trilogy is being more nice than i should be. i do think if you switch the perspective from it being a story about rey and friends to the story of kylo ren it's a much more meaningful and interesting series for me. am i going to rewatch the sequal trilogy anytime soon? probably not. and i guess maybe that's the most telling thought on the series - i'd rather go rewatch the og trilogy and i can't see that changing anytime soon.

I didn't like this movie. It pains me to say that as a big Star Wars fan, but ROS bitterly disappointed me. Palpatine was kinda just added out of nowhere and they don't really explain WHY he's back other than just saying he's back. Rey being a Palpatine is a cool twist but it wasn't really set up correctly to give me a wow moment. If Palpatine was the plan from the beginning, they should have set him up sooner, but it feels like a Hail Mary to get SW fans back on their side after TLJ left a sour taste with a lot of people. I enjoyed Kylo Ren/Ben Solo and he's been one of the few consistent bright spots across all 3 of the new movies. They gave Chewbacca a death fake out and that was cringe because he wasn't "dead" long enough to feel meaningful. The lightsaber fights were badass, as they usually are, but the story and pacing of this movie was very tedious. It felt like a video game where you go from planet to planet to find things. I liked Billy Dee Williams coming back as Lando but overall there just wasn't a lot I enjoyed in this movie, and that sucks. At least we have the Mandalorian, a new Obi Wan Kenobi show coming out, and a new season of Star Wars the Clone Wars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)