Pending Option to ignore opponent selectively

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
You can already ignore individual people, and you can also ignore all opponents in a battle.

You want to ignore only one person, and only in one battle? That seems really niche.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Yes, I feel like all opponents being clubbed together for the ignore option isn't good. Unlike spectators, we know the count of opponents will be fixed and who those users are so I should be able to ignore only that one opponent who is annoyingly acting as an RPG character in a FFA going "we'll lose to [thing] if we don't attack it together" etc all the time. I don't think it's that niche, just an upgrade to the "Ignore opponent" button to adjust to the new environment of multiple opponents.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
You want to ignore only one person, and only in one battle? That seems really niche.
I disagree. Random Battles tend to bring out salty individuals, and it will naturally get worse in FFAs where you're not only adding in more people. You're going to have people trying to get others to team up, and if that goes wrong (be it through refusal or a bad player), fights ensue that can make people uncomfortable. Then there's the matter of someone getting annoyed at gang attacks, etc...this mode will inherently have more salty people in it. Randomness + More People, you get the idea yeah? I'd much rather ignore the person instigating this stuff than the entire party, which could otherwise be a good crowd. Seems like a pretty nuclear solution to something only caused by one person.

Yes, I feel like all opponents being clubbed together for the ignore option isn't good.
Seems like a pretty nuclear solution to something only caused by one person.
You can still just... ignore the one person. Even if that means the ignore will persist outside of the battle, if they were annoying you in that battle, it's pretty likely they'll continue to annoy you afterward.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
You can still just... ignore the one person. Even if that means the ignore will persist outside of the battle, if they were annoying you in that battle, it's pretty likely they'll continue to annoy you afterward.
In which case, why have the "Ignore opponent" option at all? Would you say that option is necessary, or would you want it upgraded like this suggestion is proposing?

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
In which case, why have the "Ignore opponent" option at all?
I don't have a really good memory so take it with a grain of salt but as far as I recall having the option to "Ignore" a user by clicking on their username/trainercard is pretty "recent" (still maybe a few years old at that point u_u) and having an explicit "Ignore opponent" option at the top of the battlelog was much more clear and convenient for most users who did not instinctively know you could type /ignore whoever in the chat. You can call that a flaw in commands consistency if you want to, but it is more about the fact that PS is being built little by little over the years and that as such you can end up with different features which can see a similar use depending on the situation n.n
(and I guess Ignore opponent's existence has been even more justified recently by the permasettings implementation)

Apart from that and since I ended up posting, in case my "like pattern" in the thread is not super clear, I agree with Zarel that implementing such a thing is a bit overkill for the issue at end when a much simpler solution exists. I can't say I really care/oppose the suggestion though, just looks inefficient from my point of view.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
having an explicit "Ignore opponent" option at the top of the battlelog was much more clear and convenient for most users who did not instinctively know you could type /ignore whoever in the chat. You can call that a flaw in commands consistency if you want to, but it is more about the fact that PS is being built little by little over the years and that as such you can end up with different features which can see a similar use depending on the situation n.n
(and I guess Ignore opponent's existence has been even more justified recently by the permasettings implementation)
Doesn't this mean that upgrading the ignore opponent feature to consider FFAs and the eventual multi battle feature is a good idea though? You said yourself that it's better for those who don't know how to do /ignore, and it seems a bit nuclear to permaignore people (or outright ignore everyone in the game) every few games because they can't handle being ganged up on. I don't see how this is complicating the system when you already have the "ignore everyone" checkbox set up for simplicity. This seems like a much better accessibility enhancement.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
As global auth, I shouldn't be ignoring a player everywhere for being a nuisance in battle - if they cross any lines they'll have to be punished anyway so ignoring them is still pointless there. Ignoring individual opponents is just for better QOL with an already existing feature.

Also, sometimes people just prefer to ignore everyone during a battle, but that doesn't mean they want to ignore those same people everywhere. I mostly ignore spectators for relevant games, and ignore opponents that just start talking too much for no reason, but I don't want to put them on ignore throughout the site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)