Resource ORAS Creative and Underrated Sets V2 (Replays required!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed/Thunder Wave
- Fire Punch/Earthquake

I needed something to take on kinda keldeo, serp, heatran, tornadus, charizard yy (even dpulse doesn't 2hko), alakazam, scizor. Basically, all the special attackers and co that have not a huge problem breaking through typical spdef mons (like what checks all of these? Chansey kinda? But that also comes with the burden of running chansey, which some offensive teams can't afford. Plus, tornadus, sciz, keld, kinda char have zero issues doing bad things to chansey).

Bonus: this dnite also checks/lures things like the latis, since it can comfortably survive dracos with multiscale then 1hko.

I ran on a team based around sd pass mega sciz, and it can be kinda scary to face a Mon with such bulk and decent power. Low-key, the damage output can be dissapointing because u are used to dragonite power, but it is stellar for a defensive Mon. For reference, its extremespeed is stronger than lucarios (if Luke loses its item. U get he idea tho. Dnite also has 10x the bulk and utility). Ddance is another possibility on here I guess for massive setup ops similar to altaria. Power is again dissapointing sometimes (but so is altaria so).

All-in-all, it is a special wall with a giant niche of checking all of those things at once while still offering lots of power and sexy priority.

Beware of scald burns, but heal bell (or clutch healing wish at the very least) is super nice for bulkier offensive teams anyway. This is especially true with paralysis flying everywhere. Un-nerfing these paralyzed mons has a psuedo healing wish effect, since it effectively revives a Mon that the opp thought was out of the way.

The EV spread for that Dragonite is slightly inefficient though. 244 HP / 64 Atk / 200 SpD provides slightly more bulk on both sides and hits a Leftovers number, at the cost of taking 1 point more of SR damage, which it makes up for by recovering 1 more point at the end of the turn anyway.
I'm pretty sure 216 HP / 228 SpD was simply to survive 2 Landorus Sludge Wave after SR, which was already banned.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hurricane Volcarona

Volcarona @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast

Hurricane Volc can act as a nice 'mon to round off an FWG core on rain due to its access to Hurricane. In addition, it lessens the pressure placed onto Kabutops and Kingdra to clean up, thus reducing the team's reliance on its swift swimmers. Hurricane scores a strong hit on fairies and has the same BP as Bug Buzz, making it a better choice when rain is up v.s. anything that Bug Buzz hits because flying is great offensively. Giga Drain hits stuff like Gastro which are troublesome for rain, and Fire Blast hits steels which otherwise wall you, namely the bane of rain Ferrothorn. Choice of item comes down to personal preference, and max speed+timid is to tie with base 100s before a boost.

Last edited:
Just as general rule of thumb Stone Edge is better to break past SpD Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y. You shouldn't rely on a 10% chance just for a boost the RNG doesn't wanna give
But isn't Ancient Power better if im Timid max SpAtk. Besides, Spdef Tflame can't really do much to me anyways.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
But isn't Ancient Power better if im Timid max SpAtk. Besides, Spdef Tflame can't really do much to me anyways.
Its nice to score a guaranteed OHKO on it to avoid taking any unnecessary damage. Beyond that, it allows you to OHKO Volcarona after it has set up, which is crucial considering that you are meant to counter it. In a vacuum, it is six and two threes; in practice, Stone Edge is better - if only for Volc.

Taunt and Ancient Power is easily the most consistent choice if you also wish to beat BU Talonflame (assuming you're not running status, in which case taunt BU still beats you 1v1), but stone edge is more often used since it hits most of its targets like zard y harder off the bat. For an offensive set like that, I would use Stone Edge, or a better coverage move like HP Ice (or maybe even power herb solarbeam) while having something else to cover those other threats.

p2

Banned deucer.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire

holy shit CB KyuB is actually jesus. This thing literally shreds through everything in the tier, Outrage flat out 2HKOs every Steel type apart from Physical Defensive Skarmory and Ferrothorn, which are easily bypassed with coverage or Mag support. The amount of answers teams actually have for this are incredibly low and half the time teams are banking on Outrage locked into a Fairy to beat it. I actually love this set because physical Kyu-B is so underprepared for and CB just bolsters its power even more making it even harder to have a genuine answer to, especially when shit like Heatran, Chansey, or Hippo get blown back into the next millennium. This thing is pretty much guaranteed to take something down a game, and is pretty much taking 2+ mons down against bulkier teams because its so ridiculously difficult to pivot around without Protect and if you're new meta, you can run HP Fire to own Ferro ez.

i dont have replays ill try play some dudes later

Last edited:

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
How is that creative and underrated? It is criminally underused and extremely effective, but it isnt creative. I use choices kyub all the time, I would never call it creative :/

Hoping nobody posted this before

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off/ Play Rough
- Return
- Belly Drum

Venusaur a pain in the ass so return lets you beat it after a belly drum. Jolly used since most venusaur run enough speed for adamant.

Last edited:

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hoping nobody posted this before

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Return
- Belly Drum

Venusaur a pain in the ass so return lets you beat it after a belly drum. Jolly used since most venusaur run enough speed for adamant.
Would Return not better replace Play Rough instead of Knock Off? Dark/Normal is awesome coverage, you don't miss, you don't get stopped by Skarm/Ferro (which are more common than Venusaur), and you still pick up the KO on Mega Bro. The only thing is you're weaker unboosted.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt / Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Low Kick

The best thing about defensive Infernape is its amazing defensive typing. Infernape's typing allows it to counter a good amount of number of Pokemon that give Balanced a really hard time, check a lot of monsters too, and even beat / cripple many 1v1. The biggest three mons that Infernape counters that are really annoying for Balanced are Bisharp, Weavile, and Mega Scizor. Resisting all of their stab, having access to Will-o-Wisp & consistent solid healing, and also being able to outspeed them (except Weavile) all help Infernape counter them. It doesn't stop there though, Infernape also checks any physical variant of Hoopa-U (can switch on anything except extremely random zen headbutt, can cripple with WoW, and do a lot with Low Kick), and cripples/beats many mons 1v1 such as non-Scarf Lando-T, Azumarill, Tank Chomp, Hippowdon, Breloom, and Tyranitar. Overall Infernape is just a good mon with amazing defensive typing, fast WoW, solid recovery, decent damage output, and access to Taunt / Stealth Rock.

Some Replays (I was using Close Combat though :x):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-289246602 - Here Infernape catches the opponent off guard and gets a turn 1 burn on Lando-T. Later, it completely walls Hoopa-U, cripples it with burn, kills magnezone with Close Combat, and then burns Mega Pinsir, after surviving a Quick Attack at -1 (That was actually max roll too!)!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-289262403 - After unfortunately missing WoW on Latios, it manages to burn Azumarill, completely crippling it, gets up rocks early game, and then even gets up rocks again (after being spun) late-game to expedite victory (oh and takes out weakened ferrothorn).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-289384805 - Here Infernape takes a Specs Shadow Ball from Raikou and manages to burn it, making it much easier to handle for the team, then it gets some crucial damage vs. offensive starmie (helps because if starmie goes out rocks can stay up), and then finally comes in on a swords dancing scizor, easily takes +2 BP, burns, heals, and then takes it out, aka countering it spectacularly.

Would Return not better replace Play Rough instead of Knock Off? Dark/Normal is awesome coverage, you don't miss, you don't get stopped by Skarm/Ferro (which are more common than Venusaur), and you still pick up the KO on Mega Bro. The only thing is you're weaker unboosted.
Yeah your kinda right. I actually do run knock off over play rough but tbh I didn't want to make the set look to crazy because I was worried people wouldn't take it seriously. Play Rough is still nice does for giving azumaril some offensive option if you can't get a belly drum up. Also people think tank chomp counter literally everything and love switching it into azumaril so it help with that.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think that this has been posted yet, so here goes:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Roost/Focus Blast

Mega Charizard Y is generally walled by Bulkier Fire Types that resist the combo of Fire Blast/Solarbeam, specifically opposing zardy and spdef talonflame, so HP Rock is an excellent move to use to lure in said fire types and can do a ton of damage to them. This spread is chosen to be modest flamethrower as it is generally more reliable and Ancientpower almost always OHKOs opposing yzards with ancientpower. The main problem with this set is that it can't reliably hit the targets that Focus Blast does without forgoing roost, which kinda sucks.

Calcs:
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 296-352 (99.6 - 118.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Ancient Power vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 452-536 (138.2 - 163.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 304-360 (84.6 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 192-228 (64.6 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 168-198 (49.2 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO (only for hitting it on the switch)
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Ancient Power vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 320-380 (97.2 - 115.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (fthrower does a bit less)
I'll go find a few replays of this and edit it in tomorrow probably. (also hp rock and ancientpower have same bp for calcs)

Last edited:

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
This spread is chosen to be modest flamethrower as it is generally more reliable and Ancientpower almost always OHKOs opposing yzards with ancientpower. Lastly, HP Rock can also give you handy boosts occasionally that may help you in a match, but don't rely on it.
I'm confused on what move you are trying to say is creative, ancient power or hp rock? You switch them constantly in your post even saying hp rock gives you boosts. Anyway if u do mean hp rock what does that have over ancient power other then pp?

I'm confused on what move you are trying to say is creative, ancient power or hp rock? You switch them constantly in your post even saying hp rock gives you boosts. Anyway if u do mean hp rock what does that have over ancient power other then pp?
Littlelucario originally put ancient power but then changed it to HP rock. At first ancient power looks like the best option due to that 10% stat boost chance, but the PP difference is actually huge because ancient power can easily be roost-stalled by Talonflame, one of its primary targets, whereas HP rock can't.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
fixed, also both are creative as Bendiving mentioned above, hp rock is better.

My 2 cents on the underrated ghost, Mega Banette. It has reasonably high attack stat (base 165) with priority in Sucker Punch. However, it’s offensive movepool is mediocre plus he has no good STAB to use. His support movepool, combine with Prankster, is quite impressive tbh, with various options such as Destiny Bond, Will O Wisp, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Disable. Neverthless, Klefki outclasses him as Prankster TWave support with better typing and bulk and access to Spikes. As a result, in order to make M Banette stand out from other mons, we need to combine the best of its, which imo is the unique Prankster Destiny Bond and the ability to clean up weaken threats with Sucker Punch and Pursuit.

Voodoo (Banette-Mega) @ Banettite

Ability: Frisk

EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Gunk Shot

- Sucker Punch

- Pursuit

- Destiny Bond​

Gunk Shot over STAB Shadow Claw because of the higher power output and the capability to OHKO Azumarill and (sometimes) Clefable. Sucker Punch is picked over Shadow Sneak for the same reason as above. Pursuit traps and eliminate Goth, which is huge against stall, it also allows M Banette pick up weaken mons that scare a Sucker Punch and trying to switch out. Max Atk with positive nature because I want it to hit as hard as possible and it’s too frail to take repeated hits anyways (there's no point in investing too much in bulk). 216 Spe is to outspeed max speed jolly Azumarill and Adamant Breloom. 40HP ensure it lives a LO Hurricane from Torn T and KO back with Gunk Shot + Sucker Punch (or Pursuit on the predicted switch). M Banette appriciates teammates that can deal with Steels and Grounds as they hard wall this set. Bring Banette in by a slow U Turn/ Volt Switch against something it can kill with Sucker Punch is the best way to mega evolve it (it have to mega evolve to be able to function as a Prankster D Bond check to set up sweepers), so a U Turner/Volt Switcher is also a worth-considerable choice in teambuilding.

First post on this thread, please be gentle.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Gunk Shot

This might be more widely used than I think, but I've never seen it on the ladder, or seen it mentioned. Hoopa-U's Sp.Def is really good and combined with his HP he can check a wide variety of threats that offensive teams have trouble with. He checks Latios (Draco Meteor does 40-48% with first hit) albeit not consistently, but almost always hits something for massive damage when it switches. Starmie and Raikou are important ones - Starmie's Hydro Pump is a 3HKO after SR but Raikou struggles to, and Hoopa often leaves them in KO range for any priority moves that another pokemon would carry. Mega Alakazam is a 4HKO if Focus Blast hits all four times.

Hoopa's attacking stats are incredible as ever - if you think they're good enough uninvested you can roll with 252 Sp.Def and 248 HP which gives you a 95% chance of surviving 2 Fire Blasts from Charizard-Y in the sun, and two Surf's from +3 Manaphy if SR is off the field.

Not a perfect set, but it's a handy 'mon for offense teams and can deal with a lot of pokemon that those teams sometimes struggle with. Give it a try - hasn't disappointed me yet.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
I have to disagree with you.

The speed investment, and quite frankly the moveset is incredibly... bad. Shadow Sneak is tons better than Sucker Punch since it doesn't need the opponent to attack you and functions as STAB. The entire reason to use Mega Bannette is priority Will-O-Wisp and D-Bond. That's why you invest in bulk because you're gonna take some hits if the opponent is burned. And the thing is standard Goth on ABR Stall runs like 128 HP Investment, meaning your Pursuit doesn't really pick off Goth if you can't KO it.

252+ Atk Mega Banette Pursuit vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Gothitelle: 240-284 (76.6 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And considering how hard it is to setup hazards on the team due to Mega Sableye SR more than likely are going to be up.

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk / Insomnia
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Gunk Shot

If you gonna use Banette this is the set you should use. I will say that Frisk has it merits in scouting for items, but Insomnia is generally ran. This set maximizes bulk while also outrunning min speed Mega Scizor so you can burn it. Attack is also maximized. Please don't EVER use Sucker Punch on Mega Banette, Shadow Sneak is leagues better.

And also any competent Goth player isn't going to mindlessly come in on Banette anyhow. It can't trap or TrickScarf it so there's no reason for it to try and deal with it.

Flegellumfl (is that right lol) made a Banette set with some speed investment, but I don't know what that outruns. Ask him if you want one with some speed
the thing is that your set is the standard set for Banette and frankly the only set that should be used, I think he was trying to show Banette as a wierd pursuit trapper, but there is like no reason to use sucker punch.

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion
This is a Serperior that I see in a replay and is the Serperior of Serpents&Dragon team

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute
- Synthesis

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah your kinda right. I actually do run knock off over play rough but tbh I didn't want to make the set look to crazy because I was worried people wouldn't take it seriously. Play Rough is still nice does for giving azumaril some offensive option if you can't get a belly drum up. Also people think tank chomp counter literally everything and love switching it into azumaril so it help with that.
Yeah, +6 Return/Knock Off deal with Chomp anyways, while unboosted Play Rough doesn't KO:

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 288-342 (68.5 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If you're BD Azu, you definitely don't want to hit Chomp twice anyway, as you won't be doing much afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)