ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Steelix is hideous, but those stats will certainly bring it back from obscurity!

Mega Glalie is average (pure Ice, ugh), but it has just enough Atk and a clutch ability in Refridgerate. Body Slam (110 BP Ice move with 30% para yes please) / Crunch / Earthquake / Explosion seems like a suitable offensive moveset.

Also, the presence of mega glalie implies mega Froslass at some point down the line...YES.

lol Steelix...that's really all I have to say about it @_@; They could've done a significantly better job with it.

Also, to me, giving Glalie a mega is beyond pointless. I suppose I understand the general trend of giving megas to underrated Pokemon (mostly), but I just don't think Glalie would be any more useful than it was before. Perhaps I'm wrong about this? I've just personally always preferred Froslass because I feel it accomplishes a lot more.

Also, to me, giving Glalie a mega is beyond pointless. I suppose I understand the general trend of giving megas to underrated Pokemon (mostly), but I just don't think Glalie would be any more useful than it was before.
It can be used as a very strange wallbreaker, with Refrigerate Explosion OHKOing a lot of walls while being faster than almost all of them. It's not appealing everywhere else, though.

Finally a ice type Mega! Maga Glaile looks horrifying, I have never seen a scarier looking Pokemon. It looks like some ice demon that will eat you alive. Ice explosion might be enough to make it OU viable. It can be a general attacker with decent speed and offensive pressure. Once its running out of health explode and you are guaranteed a kill (minus heatran and protect of course).

Steelix looks amazing with all of those crystals, they have really come out trumps with that design. It looks like a more offensive Mega Aggron who is focused on sand teams. Lack of reliable recovery will prevent it from having widespread use, but it is a strong and balanced pokemon in general.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I kinda like Mega-Steelix, as it takes story behind regular Steelix (being compressed underground by so much pressure), and takes it further, to the point where it has diamonds as part of its body now. Aesthetically, it might not be a crowd pleaser, but it certainly makes sense.

So Steelix was in the Japanese Demo.
Glalie was in the Korean Demo.
Does that mean we'll see different new Megas in Europe and US?
Either that, or the mega changes every day, so you can gain a small list of mega stones and pokemon to transfer over once you get the game. And each country just has a randomized starting mega for the first day the code became available.
Which may be the "something special" that will happen as advertised if you play every day.
Which means we could have maybe seven some-odd confirmed mega stat spreads by the time ORAS is released
Not counting the mega starters, which appear to be in your party as well at some point in the demo, following the screenshots and vids uploaded so far
(Which means that Mega scep and mega swamp's stats might become available/confirmed early as well, if we get their mega stones)

Last edited:

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Mega Glalie is utterly awesome! It's nightmarish just like when I caught my first Glalie. I was already using it on my OR to recreate my first in-game team ever and now I'm even more in to use Glalie. Idgaf about if it's viable in OU (I don't even play it) or not and much possibly neither does GF, but I love it! I's design is amazing, its stats are amazing, and its ability is amazing!

Steelix looks cool. I don't understand the floating metal, but it really fits. Can't match Glalie, though.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Serebii confirmed that the US demo will be available on the 21st. You can get it if you've signed up for the Trainer Club by the 20th.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
WHOA! Well I was expecting the update to be big, though almost everything has a "New" tag next to it! Well better get started...

POKEMON - Legendary Pokemon
Starting off it has "The Legends of Hoenn Continues" tagged as new but I can't find any new info within it. Maybe it's still marked new since they FINALLY updated Mega Rayquaza's page with its stock image:

AWESOME!

Also is this new info they added? I don't remember there being a caption box where Rayquaza's image was:

"Particles stream from the long filaments that extend from its jutting jaw. These particles can control the density and humidity of the air, allowing Rayquaza to manipulate the weather. Its green hide sparkles with an emerald-like quality."

Is that new? Well anyway it sounds like it now even has greater control of the weather, which is only natural for the embodiment of the sky. Oh, and it's body sparkles like an emerald, I see what you did there...

Also they added the paired box Legendaries: Ho-Oh, Lugia, Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, & Zekrom. If we're to believe CoroCoro's announcement that all Legendaries will be in the game, then I expect this list to soon grow.

POKEMON - Mega Pokemon
Yeah, I skipped over the update on the Starters since its just telling us about their Ultimate Moves (Frenzy Plany, Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon; the elemental Hyper Beam clones) and the Eon Duo since we'll be talking about them next. Meanwhile, while's there not much to talk about here since we pretty much went over Mega Pidgeot and Mega Beedrill, just thought I'd post their stock image, other angles of their model, and flavor text:

Mega Pidgeot:

"The gusts it can whip up with its tough and well-developed wings are powerful enough to smash huge trees. The minerals that go into Pidgeot's feathers change, resulting in a change in their coloration as well. Its body grows much stronger, with the greatest improvements in its wings. The longer crest on its head acts like a sensitive antenna, and improves its stability while in flight."

First off, what minerals go into Pidgeot's wings? Are they talking about how Pidgeot has glossy wings? Eitherway it says the greatest improvement are to its wings which I have to disagree with, I think the crest takes that title. Also now with more angles we can see that long red crest is actually attached to the back of Mega Pidgeot's head crest, thus meaning the stock image and the in-game model are accurate to one another.

Mega Beedrill:

"The poison it produces from its four limbs all work instantaneously, yet the poison it emits from its tail is slow-acting. It uses the former to prevent its foes from fleeing, and the latter to deal the finishing blow. With six wings, Mega Beedrill flies to the attack with great speed! The poisonous barbs on its tail and arms both grow larger, and its legs sprout poisonous stingers to boot!"

Oh, now I see how it got six wings (like it needed a reason to grow a new pair, but as it turns out it didn't), the top wings actually split into two! That's actually a bit clever and the way they did the split makes the now two pairs of wings look interesting.

THE EON DUO - Latios, Latias, & Their Mega Evolutions
Let's just cover EVERYTHING having to do with the Eon Duo in one fell swoop. First off, their stock images and some flavor text:

Mega Latios: It's larger than Mega Latias, and can achieve higher speeds in flight. Latios has high stats in both Speed and Sp. Atk. When it Mega Evolves, its Sp. Atk is not the only stat to get a great boost—its Attack jumps, too! This Pokémon can use its Speed in battle to unleash a flurry of attacks!
Mega Latias: Its body is smaller than Mega Latios's body. It is more agile and can make very sharp turns. Latias has high stats in Speed, Defense, and Special Defense, making it very durable. When it Mega Evolves, its famed defensive strength grows substantially! It can benefit you in a supportive role, such as having it use moves to aid an ally in Double Battles.

I just want to note here that they just says where they have their high stats, not that the mentioned stats have increased. This is noticeable since it mentions Speed and we know that their Speed doesn't increase. Very sneaky.

It also quickly mentioned the differences between the two: only their eyes, specifically their irises. Mega Latios irises are red and narrower while Mega Latias irises are yellow and larger. There's also a size difference but I think that's just in the stats, the models look no difference in size to one another despite them noting Mega Latios is bigger than Mega Latias.

So with that done, let's start talking about interesting stuff. First, it looks like that Latios and Latias DO join your party when you encounter them in the game. When does this happen? I don't know, but note that you don't have the Mega Bangle yet so it looks to be early in the story (jeez, want to overpower us anymore?). You team up with Steven to save them from someone/something (Team Aqua/Magma? Note that Steven says "beasts" so maybe its being attacked by a Pokemon?) and afterwards it joins your party.

Of course they show that the boy gets Latios and the girl gets Latias (even though its version determined and not gender). :P

Partway through the game, probably soon after getting your Mega Bangle, you get the Eon Flute which summons Latios and Latias, have them Mega Evolve, and you'll start soaring through the skies of Hoenn.

That's what the Eon Flute looks like? Okay, but it more look like a grappling hook (yes, I know its suppose to look like a creature in flight, just saying it could maybe be a bit more detailed. It looks like they just quickly made it).

So a few things about flight:

1. According to the trailer, it is in 3D Mode! :D (All the beautiful imagery... though it'll probably decrease frame rate :C)
2. The bottom screen will display a map of Hoenn and a pointer to where you are.(Who needs Dive when I can just fly into Sootopolis City like a BOSS!)

3. You can do tricks like speed up, quick turn, and a loop (and is that a barrel roll in the first image?)!

4. You can not only land in a city/town, but also in routes! (And you can also land in water? Guessing they'll only make that option available if you got a Pokemon that knows Surf)

5. Time of day does change the scenary. (Just so beautiful)

I love how everything looks like a miniature display yet all the detail they included at the same time! If you fly any other way then with Mega Latios & Mega Latias then you're insane (or just need to get somewhere very fast).

But they were a few more things to talk about while up in the sky, however this post is getting long so we'll continue this discussion and more in my next post!

Can we just talk about Mega Swampert for a second?

Swampert@Swampertite
Adamant; 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Torrent -> Swift Swim

Waterfall
Ice Punch
Rain Dance
Earthquake

This thing will be unstoppable ingame. The given EVs give stats of 377 / 438 / 256 / 205 / 256 / 203 as Mega Swampert, letting it outrun +speed 135s and below. I'm not sure if battle tower / frontier will include mega evolutions this game but that means MegaPert will outrun every non-Uber pokemon in the game and have fantastic bulk. Here's hoping Ice Punch returns as a tutor move.
As for Mega Sceptile, it's stats allow it to outrun +126 pokemon and below (hey Greninja) using a neutral speed nature. This means it can use a much-needed offensive nature to boost either its Atk or SpA. PHYSICAL SCEPTILE IS FINALLY A THING!!

EDIT: As expected, we won't be able to find all of the additional legendary pokemon in both games; which legendaries you find will depend on which version you get.

With the reveal and how the footage looks when you're flying in Soar and finding the other Legendaries as you're flying about, I think we might finally have an answer to what big old black blob of evil on top of the new Hoenn map. It looks just like the black blob of evil that the new trailer character was flying into on Lati@s. And there is the fun speculation that they are actually done by Hoopa. The CoroCoro image shows the legends coming in through golden hoops, which Hoopa's Dex entry mentions, and you can see a tiny sillouhette of the Ghost/Psychic thing in one of them:

So the black clouds are Hoopas doing.

I'm also VERY curious to see what is meant by "rare moves" as far as the PokeNav Plus goes. Potential new moves?? Old, hard-to-obtain things like Softboiled Clefable or something? Pre-bred moves? I'm excited.

It has Lightning Rod though. It can easily run a mixed set.
I'm sure it can RUN a mixed set, definitely not saying anything against that because it has a decent enough attack boost. I'm just saying that it's clearly meant to be specially based so I'm not sure where people are getting physical sceptile from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)