Lower Tiers ORAS NU Viability Rankings

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Monferno is cool because people often expect CB like in PU, then I WoW and Slack Off which is cool.
WoW Slack Off is more of a thing in PU than CB is though
Speaking of PU, we dropped Ariados to E because it's so awful at actually setting Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes. It's really slow and doesn't have much bulk, and it needs sash just to set one hazard, let alone two. I'm not sure if it's still ranked out of laziness or if it's actually effective ever, but I don't see why it shouldn't just be unranked. It takes full on stall, which has already been concluded as a mediocre to bad playstyle in the NP, just to set up two hazards versus, and that's for an already fairly niche playstyle.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've got the promised follow up post

Cryogonal
C+ > C Agree

I suppose I'm not passionate about Cryo dropping, but I definitely do not see the appeal in it as a spinner nowadays. Compare it to Claydol and Hitmonchan as spinners and you'll find its lacking defensive and offensive niches become quite apparent. More easily worn down because of its weakness to Stealth Rock, inability to beat Garbodor to prevent Spikes, and Piloswine rising in popularity as a Stealth Rocker are big points against it. Additionally, it's almost entirely outclassed as an offensive Ice-type by mons like Vanilluxe and Aurorus. This thing is outclassed in every corner and maintains a quickly diminishing Threat Level.

Liepard
B > B+ Disagree

I find Liepard very underwhelming. The offensive pivot set's only objective in a game is to force a series of 50/50's with your opponent with either Sucker Punch, U-turn, or Encore. On paper, it can effectively shut down every setup sweeper in the tier, avoid any one of its counters with U-turn, and annoy the opponent with constant pressure from Knock Off. However, in reality, you're simply using a mon that has an averagely powerful STAB attack and options that force you to get a coin flip right every turn. For example, you may get a prediction right and switch Liepard into a Samurott using SD, or you may just switch Liepard directly into a Megahorn and lose to Samurott late-game when it gets another opportunity to set up. I could see it getting a bump if metagame trends shifted towards its speed tier being more favorable, but like how holly mentioned with Pyroar, if I want to outspeed the 105's, I'd choose Archeops, Tauros, Swellow, or Floatzel, three of which have access to momentum grabbing moves like Liepard and all of which have better offensive presence.

I've also never seen the Nasty Plot set do anything :pirate:

Probopass
Unranked > D Disagree

It's a Rock/Steel-type that doesn't beat Normal-types, hits as hard as a piece of paper, and is overly dependent on Thunder Wave to beat specific mons. It gets Volt Switch, which is cool I guess, but it's probably the easiest Volt Switch to switch into in the tier provided Lanturn, Rhydon, and Claydol all destroy it once they switch in. Anything it counters is better countered by another Rock-type (save maybe Vivillon). In regard to the criteria, its negative characteristics are Passive, Outclassed, Low Speed, and having a poor Matchup against most of the meta. I don't see it fulfilling really any of the positive criteria, either. This thing is a huge waste of a slot, I'd prefer that it stayed unranked.

Floatzel
B+ > A- Agree

Floatzel's phenomenal speed tier and coverage give it a great matchup against offensive teams nowadays. Being able to revenge kill Archeops, Tauros, +2 Speed Adamant Rhydon, and obviously the 105-6 bracket is invaluable. It's got a pretty average matchup against balance, but with the metagame shifting towards more offensively oriented teams, Floatzel is becoming scarier and scarier.

Kabutops
A- > B+ Disagree

Kabutops may be a terrible spinner, but it's still a very threatening sweeper. Samu eclipses it a bit because of its superior bulk, but a secondary STAB, more Attack, more Speed, and even Swift Swim are all great tools for Kabutops. Kabu even beats out some of Samurott's regular checks depending on its set, so it's not fair to say Samu outclasses it. Rain Dance Kabutops beats offensive Grass-types, such as Shiftry and Lilligant, and Adamant SD Kabutops beats Rotom (with rocks) and Vileplume after a boost. Not to mention how useful a strong Aqua Jet is right now. I think this thing's Threat Level is fairly underrated and I'd like to see it stay where it's at.

Musharna
A > A+ Agree

God, I hate this thing. I think we're at a juncture in the tier where it's going to start warping teambuilding so it can't just 6-0 by getting one turn of free setup. The scariest part, though, is that Musharna has the ability to adapt to any of the counter measures that try and beat the barrier set. Signal Beam can lure Dark-types, Heal Bell can beat mons trying to whittle it down with Toxic, and on top of that, it already beats any other setup sweeper. I'd say it could even jump to S, but I would much prefer waiting to see how the metagame develops around it and going from there.

Ariados
D > Unranked Disagree

I'll just address Megazard personally here. We originally had Ariados unranked, but at the time of the big VR update, we were discussing the viability of webs in the tier right now. Most, if not all of us, agreed it was a very subpar playstyle and all of the setters were the same because they could take one hit before going down. Ariados, at least, has priority and the ability to lay down Toxic Spikes, which are far more threatening in NU compared to PU. It has the ability to pick and choose which hazard it wants to set based on matchup, so it's about as viable as Leavanny and Kricketune who have their own tools for setting webs.

I haven't used Prinplup lately so I won't make a comment on it. The same goes for Monferno, which I might be able to see some merit in because of its stallbreaker set. I'll try it out on a team soon and get back to you guys.

Otherwise I'm going to try and organize an update soon once I talk stuff over with the council. Keep up the good work guys n_n

Disjunction

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Update
Code:
Rises:
Scyther A > A+
Musharna A > A+
Floatzel B+ > A-
Raichu C > C+
Metang C- > C

Drops:
Ferroseed A- > B+
Roselia B > B-
Pawniard B- > C+
Cryogonal C+ > C
I think Gorebyss
and Monferno
could due with a little more discussion before any decision is reached on them. Otherwise, if you have a complaint about the update, please redirect them to Sir Kay His inbox is quite empty and it could use some attention.

:toast:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey I want to touch on a subject going around a bit, being
Metang -> C+/B-

ive played around with it, and I must say that its helped me put myself in a way better position vs. the opponent. beating M-Audino, most Mesprit variants, Musharna, and non-CB scyther is very nice and can be crucial for some teams. the problem with Metang is that it is very match-up reliant. in some games it has a very good time walling CM-Psychics, Scyther, etc and in some other games it only sets up rocks, maybe toxics one mon and then it's just death fodder.

I have saved a bunch of replays showing off how matchup reliant it is. (note: the replays are not about the game itself, but more about matchup and are not necessary to watch)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-298925445

Metang is nice here cuz it walls Garbodor, can dent Kangaskhan for a bit of dmg, and pretty much shuts down defensive Xatu. it can also take 2 EQs from Rhydon and proceed to toxic + meteormash/SR on it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-298929613

Metang's HP should be preserved as it can 'wall' Vivillon late-game (+1 Bug Buzz only does 40%). It also walls Mushy and can check Garbodor, although Garbodor can still set-up hazards on me.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-299207818

Metang's job here is to wall Audino, toxic Mushy and other annoying stuff, and be a nice pivot. it is not threatened by a lot and is very useful to keep healthy.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-298940269

Metang's only purpose is toxicing a couple of things, being a temporary switch-in into Zangoose and setting up rocks. there's quite a lot of stuff that can come in and chip it so it won't be too useful.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-299204954

Metang does pretty much nothing except for dent the Archeops with a Meteor Mash (which doesn't even OHKO), and get up SR on it. Kangaskhan, Sawk and Shiftry all threaten it with hefty damage so it doesn't do too much except maybe live a hit from Shiftry when it's really needed.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-299209309

pretty much all 6 mons threaten Metang. it can only Toxic/damage 2 things and set up SR before I probably end up sacking it.

ok that ends my incredibly long rant about Metang lol, here are my two cents about some other stuff.

A > A+: Disagree. Musharna is really good, but it suffers from 4MSS a lot. it can either run Thunder Wave to be an annoyance to offensive teams, Barrier as a win condition, or Signal Beam to beat dark types, but it can only run one of them at once. You either lose to SD Scyther, any Dark-type, or physical-spam. KangaSpikes is also becoming a trend again which hurts Musharna a lot too.

B+ > A-: Agree. this thing is an absolute monster. its speed tier and coverage moves are very nice, especially vs. more offensive teams. it may struggle a bit vs. fatter teams with Lanturn or Hariyama, but it's still a powerhouse and should not be overlooked.

A- > B+: Agree. it's a really solid mon that can set-up on a lot of pokemon or hurt them with Thunder Wave, but it's not that good anymore. with all the Fighting-spam and Fire-spam going on, it's pressured to switch out a lot which is not good. Also suffers severely from 4MSS, as it wants to run everything from Knock Off to Spikes, LeechProtect, Thunder Wave, etc.

C+ > C: Agree. Cryogonal definitely has a niche, but it's really just not worth using 9/10 times. Offensive versions are pretty weak and mostly outclassed by Aurorus, and defensive sets are pretty much unusable. even though it's a Sp. Def wall, 30 Base Defense is actually pathetic.

A > A+: Disagree. Musharna is really good, but it suffers from 4MSS a lot. it can either run Thunder Wave to be an annoyance to offensive teams, Barrier as a win condition, or Signal Beam to beat dark types, but it can only run one of them at once. You either lose to SD Scyther, any Dark-type, or physical-spam. KangaSpikes is also becoming a trend again which hurts Musharna a lot too.
I think you're looking at this in a different way as to how I would look at musharna. I think that personally, musharna is single handedly the most centralizing threat in this tier, with barrier cm being that good. The fact that it can run these other sets as you've expressed should be a bonus as to the unpredictability of how versatile and good musharna can be, not that it needs all these moves to be successful, because it doesn't. Physical spam is quite controversial onto how it beats musharna, since unless it's a dark type or a klinklang with toxic, then barrier cm sets up and sweeps. Switching a scyther in on musharna is fairly "safe" after all, but again, if it's barrier cm, it gets beaten, or if it's a t-wave variant then the scyther is crippled. Not to mention after all of these sets it still has the less popular but still effective as fuck calm mind heal bell set that completely breaks stall, which I've been using to a tonne of success since you gain several opportunities to set up as people rush to get status on musharna, which basically means gg. I can understand that the 4mss may come into play and since musharna may be vulnerable to dark types, unless it's a skuntank, then musharna will always have a reliable way of being them too in its arsenal.
Looking at all these factors, I'd be considering it for S rank personally, but A+ is definitely a good place to start.

I wanted to discuss gourgeist-super/ xl from B+>A-

I feel like this mon should move up mainly due to it fulfilling the same role as vileplume but with certain benefits (also drawbacks too but i fell like these are outweighed) and being one of the best rhydon and sawk checks in the tier. Will-o-wisp - this is more of a definite status than effect spore, although it does take up a turn. I feel like more mons are forced out by gourgeist than plume due to this. Spin blocker - this can easily swap in on all of the relevant spinners in the tier (apart from claydol), which is a very big bonus on plume. This means it can be used on more offensive teams like kangaspikes which is ever more popular as well as more balanced teams. Leech seed - although this doesn't seem like a big deal, I feel it slightly makes up for it's lack of offence (on the usual defensive set) compared to plume, and in combination with will-o-wisp, can build up damage on the opponents threats which can be crucial late game. Priority - shadow sneak can also be used on more offensive sets, and with a base 100 attack isn't shabby either. Colbur berry can also stop it being completely destroyed by dark types for example 252 Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Gourgeist-Large: 109-129 (30.7 - 36.4%). This, accompanied with the chance to will-o-wisp narrows down consistent checks, making it a great physical wall in the NU tier at the moment.

Overall, I feel like this mon has several helpful benefits over vileplume, but isn't as generally easy to just slap onto a team. I don't think this stops it being in a lower ranking however, due to the points stated above.

Edit- I forgot to mention how helpful frisk can be! Just generally and also with quite a few non choiced sawk sets becoming more popular. (i also calced for large instead of super, but the point still applies)

Last edited:
I want to nominate yama from B+ > A-/A

Yama seriously is the glue to so many of my teams. It single-handedly checks almost every special attacker in the tier making it extremely splash-able. It's also one of the best fire checks, being one of the only mons that can reliably switch into powerful wallbreakers such as mortar and pyroar, take another hit, and ko back. Gifted with nice bulk and room to run double priority makes up for it's slow speed and allows it to pick off weakened mons. Yama can also act as a back-up check to certain physical attackers too, taking attacks such as +2 non LO seed bomb from shiftry and +1 gear grind from klang from full. Yes it can be worn down, but yama shouldn't be your save all to all special attackers anyways. While thick fat is probably most standard, guts is also a great ability, especially paired with AV. Personally, I always run guts, allowing me to catch defensive wisp rotom/mags and KO them back with knock off. Although situational, yama also has coverage and can sub out BP to help beat its various checks. Ice punch for tort/plume, eq for garb, thunderpunch for peli etc. You get the idea. Sorry if this isn't the most organized of arguments, but I just wanted to chime in real quick. I think yama fits the description of A rank perfectly.

I can offer some insight on Gorebyss. I started running it ever since I saw Canehdians post on it and it's surprisingly decent. So statwise we're looking at 55/84/105/114/75/52. Aside from speed and HP, Gorebyss couldn't really ask for more. It's physical bulk (despite low hp) is decent enough that you can come in on resisted/weak neutral hits if necessary. It's already powerful special attack allows you to fire off a very strong hydro pump if you don't feel like you can set up at the moment. I usually feel like shell smashers are very all or nothing, but with Gorebyss I don't really feel that pressure I guess. It feels more close to running Carracosta than Barb if that makes it more clear. I'm using the set Can posted (hydro/psychic/hpfire) and its working wonders. The amount of mons you're able to hit for either super effective or neutral damage is unreal.

There are problems however, and it makes me really 60/40 on whether or not it can rise. Sometimes it's as good or better than the stuff in B, sometimes it can't find an opportunity to do much. If you're knocked on your back foot from the beginning of a match it can feel like Gorebyss is dead weight at times because of it's low speed and the fact that yes it has some bulk but it's not monstrously bulky. I don't see it hurting to let it rise, it's definitely a threat that shouldn't be taken lightly but if it didn't rise I wouldn't fight it either.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
B- => B: Disagree. Gorebyss is a pretty good sweeper once it gets going, but I don't think the meta is very kind to it at the moment. Firstly, people always prepare for Samurott when building their teams, either by checking the boosting set or stopping the coverage of the mixed set, and either way these responses usually end up being good at dealing with Gorebyss. This includes Lanturn, Lilligant, Jynx, etc, which are all dangerous to let in. Secondly, Gorebyss' lack of Speed and one-trick-pony nature makes it difficult set up a Shell Smash since people will always know what to do to counterplay around it, usually just hitting it with a strong attack. Its Defense is good but its low HP still makes it take physical hits worse than Samurott, and its special bulk is even worse. It can be a good threat but the ease of counterplay vs it and its general competition with either Samurott or more consistent sweepers in general (such as Vivillon, Lilligant, and Ludicolo) makes B- a good place for it in my opinion.

D => C-: Drifblim might have a lot of type weaknesses that make it hard to splash on a team, but Unburden is very effective on a Pokemon with such a wide support movepool. Acroblim can be pretty good if you can get rid of its counters early game with lures or just continually wearing them down, and you can run a type-resist berry to lure in specific threats and Will-O-Wisp + Hex them to death. I used Colbur a lot but Charti could also be used to deal with Rock types like Rhydon, Carracosta, and Kabutops. Destiny Bond + Unburden is particularly hard to deal with for offensive teams and makes it more consistent at disrupting the foe in general. The closest comparison I can think of is Mismagius, and while it takes specific circumstances to be better than Mismagius at disruption, it's good enough in those circumstances to warrant a C- in my opinion. I've seen a lot of people saying on chat how scary Drifblim becomes with Unburden. :)

B+ -> A- 100% agree

I'm in a similar position as Dundies here, as the main team I used for NLT featured a Gourgeist-Super as my check to Fighting types. Little did I know beforehand that this thing is capable of walling about 95% of the tiers physical attackers with ease. With Leech Seed + Will-o-Wisp, even the fattest of threats will soon find themselves giving up free turns in your favor as they are forced to recover or switch, taking a hefty 25% per round from this combination of moves. I'm willing to go as far as to say this guy outright counters a large amount of top tier physical threats, most notably Rhydon, who is outright helpless, and Banded Sawk, who needs a critical hit in order to stand a chance at the 2HKO and potentially two crits back to back if Jolly. With a set of Will-o-Wisp/Synthesis/Leech Seed/Filler, Gourgeist can come in pretty comfortably on just about any physical attacker and either soften its blows with Will-o, provide passive recovery for its teammates and itself with Leech, or just switch out on the predicted switch. Personally, I believe Foul Play is the best filler move, and the final nail in the coffin for physical attackers who would otherwise seek to setup and overpower your defenses or have ways of dealing with your status moves (most notably, sub Klinklang). Looking at it's movepool, however, some other good options in the final slot include:

-Shadow Sneak, to pick off weakened targets with your respectable (albeit, uninvested) base 100 atk
-Rock Slide, to nail those Flying-Types on the switch. It also clean OHKOs Cryoganal and Articuno with rocks, two mons that could otherwise switch into most of your potential options and force you out.
-Fire Blast, simply put, to screw over Steel-Types and bait things like Ferroseed (cleanly 2HKOd with no investment)

The point being, that while Gourgeist has a pretty clearly defined "Best Role", it's not exactly a one-trick pony either, and has more options up its sleeve then you might notice at a glance, even if realistically it only has space for one of these moves on an optimal set. Looking at our definition of an A-Rank mon:

"Pokemon in this rank may fill the majority or all of the positive criteria. These Pokemon may have one major or a handful of minor negative characteristics that could set them back."

I'd say Gourgeist easily fulfills its intended purpose, with almost stunning reliability. I never once wished I had chosen an alternative to Gourgeist in my entire NLT laddering experience to fill its intended role as physical wall and spinblocker. Unfortunately for Gourgeist, however, we have powerful Fire and Ice types running about at the moment such as Magmortar and Aurorus that can easily take advantage of you, should the opportunity arise. Additionally, it's basically hard-countered by Xatu. With proper team support to help patch up these weaknesses however, you gain a lot more than you lose when you choose Gourgeist. The main thing Gourgesist has over other physical walls, and what makes it at least A- rank IMO, is reliability. Even should your opponent predict the Gourgeist, with the exception of FB Tauros and other Mixed Attackers, it often amounts to "So what?" Oh, you dealt 35% to me with your LO Iron Fist boosted Ice Punch? So what, I can just burn you and synthesis off while blocking the spin. Oh, you predicted my switch and went for Knock Off? So what, I took 20% thanks to Colbur and now you're forced out. You doubled to <insert fire/ice/flying type here> predicting my Gourgeist? Okay, you took 25% from rocks and now I can just switch into an appropriate answer. Gourgeist is very systematic in what it does, which is to say it whittles the opposition while simultaneously being a gigantic pain in the ass to deal with on any team that takes into account its drawbacks when building. For anyone with doubts, I'd encourage you to give it a try some time. I honestly didn't know what to expect when I started using it but now I feel that it is indeed an underrated threat.

Also, as a fun fact and as a testament to how bulky this thing is, Gourgeist-Super can beat standard SD Scyther 1v1. Burn -> Seed -> alternating Synthesis and Foul Play as needed = GG Scyther.

Disjunction

A- > A

For those of you who have seen my most recent Bazaar team (found here), you'll know I've been using Specs Swellow lately. It's one of the most threatening cleaners in the tier because of its high Speed and high-powered STAB move, Boomburst. This is kind of spouting off facts everyone knows, but I really want to emphasize how amazing it is that, in this meta, Swellow outspeeds the entire non-Scarfed tier and only has to click one attack. Teams are either 2HKOed switching into Boomburst or carry one of the five relevant mons that aren't 2HKOed by its STAB (assuming rocks are up), Mega Audino, Regirock, Rhydon, Ferroseed, and Klinklang. Rhydon, Ferroseed, and Klinklang are still iffy switch-ins because of HP Grass and Heat Wave, respectively. To define why I'd like it rise, it's because its threat level and matchup (or effect on the metagame) are gradually expanding as the meta favors offensive teams more.

i guess nobody has started discussing this surprisingly, so i might as well bring it up.

Archeops from A+ ===> S
We all know the VR has a new way of ranking pokemon since its renovation, so im going to discuss why i think Archeops deserves S Rank in this new format. As many of you may agree / disagree, Archeops is a massive threat in the current NU meta but is held back by some crutch flaws such as Defeatist and not the best bulk, nevertheless i feel like Archeops deserves S Rank based on its offensive presence, great utility and capability to fit on almost all playstyles.

Threat level
- How difficult is it to stop this Pokemon offensively and / or defensively?
  • This pokemon is extremely difficult to carry an Offensive Check for, the closest your going to get is Rotom-N and even then its going to be taking a surprising amount of damage from Acrobatics, meaning that, at most, its only going to be checking Archeops once, and not at all if it isnt carrying a Choice Scarf. 252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 118-139 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO. These sort of calcs reside with tonnes of popular checks to Archeops. Possibly the most common Archeops check, Rhydon, is 3HKO'd by the most common coverage move on Archeops, Earthquake, and easily 2HKO'd by Aqua Tail, a common 3rd coverage move or even primary coverage move due to how prevalent Rhydon is in the current meta. Not only this, but here is a list of checks and how well they switch into Archeops, and its vast coverage moveset.
Rhydon
>Explained in the explanation paragraph

Floatzel
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Floatzel: 306-360 (98.3 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Kabutops

252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kabutops: 90-107 (34.4 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Archeops Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kabutops: 220-260 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Archeops Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kabutops: 256-304 (98 - 116.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Carracosta
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Carracosta: 74-87 (25.6 - 30.1%) -- 5.3% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Archeops Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 135-160 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carracosta: 56-66 (15.9 - 18.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Archeops Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 102-121 (28.9 - 34.3%) -- 4.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Archeops Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Samurott
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Samurott: 217-256 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Rotom-N
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 118-139 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Piloswine
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Archeops Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 168-198 (41.5 - 49%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Zebstrika
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 138-163 (47.4 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Archeops Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 336-396 (115.4 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Barbaracle
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 84-99 (29.3 - 34.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Archeops Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 204-242 (71.3 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Rotom-S
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-S: 89-105 (36.9 - 43.5%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Archeops Aqua Tail vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-S: 98-116 (40.6 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Archeops Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-S: 324-384 (134.4 - 159.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Regirock
252 Atk Archeops Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 112-134 (30.7 - 36.8%) -- 67.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 46-55 (12.6 - 15.1%) -- possible 9HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Audino
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 117-138 (28.5 - 33.6%) -- 97.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
before mega:
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 151-178 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Miltank
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Miltank: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Miltank: 133-157 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Prinplup
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Prinplup: 117-138 (35.2 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Quagsire
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Archeops Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 272-320 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

As we can see from these calcs, no check of Archeops can avoid a 3HKO from its entire viable coverage set most of them are flat out 2HKO'd bar the more bulky checks. A prime example of this is Barbaracle, which dies after Acrobatics + EQ which is quite scary considering that it can be considered as solid flying check. Knowing it cant switchin on Archeops might be a threatening feeling, and as a result, Archeops switch ins look very minimal.

- What are the best general methods of dealing with it, and how effective are they?
  • Via these calcs, the best Pokemon to deal with Archeops would be Defensive Carracosta, Regirock, Mega Audino and Miltank. In the case of the two rock types, they have pure bulk to take it on, as well as ability to hit it with Super Effective STAB moves especially in Carracostas case, with AJ being Super Effective, meaning even if Archeops does run Hidden Power Grass, its still in check due to AJ and the threat that is to take it into Defeatist range.
  • All in all, these Pokemon in the current meta aren't really easy to fit on a team. Defensive Carracosta / Regirock carry too little of a niche to justify using them over Rhydon (in the case of Costa, Water STAB and Solid Rock and Regirock has Thunder Wave). As a result, their pure usage in the tier is actually quite minimal, meaning that, in reality, you arent going to encounter them very often. Mega Audino is a touch and go subject. The only real set which checks Archeops reliably is the Defensive WishTect set, and even then, it NEEDS to Mega Evolve to avoid a being heeped with pressure by Archeops, Archeops beat Normal Audino's 1v1 eventually, should a crit occur. Non STAB Dazzling Gleam doesn't do enough damage for it to threaten Roost Archeops effectively. The problem with this is that with Mega Evolution you lose the preferred Regenerator ability, meaning its much more susceptible to prior damage. But even moreso the problem, it completely loses to a Taunt varient of Archeops. It means its no longer a reliable way of taking on Archeops since its reliable recovery in Wish and Protect is gone. In Miltank's case, its probably one of the better Archeops checks. The problem with Miltank is that it has to run Physical Defense EV Investment and even then, its flat out 3HKO'd by Acrobatics no matter what. The reason its a good check is because Milk Drink is as reliable recovery as they get, and TWave is enough to make Archeops essentially useless. Miltank however struggles to fit on most NU Teams however. This is due to how popular Offensive Normal Types such as Tauros and Kangaskhan are, and generally, if people are going to run 2 normal types on a team, it will be in an offensive manner, to break each others checks. Miltank doesn't do this. Also, the fact that Normal Types themselves don't resist very many types, people will feel inclined to using something with more resistances such as Rhydon itself, Ferroseed or even Mesprit / Torterra.
- Does the Pokemon have ways of working around its countermeasures? If so, how much does it have to sacrifice to do so?
  • Apart from Mega Audino, yes, Archeops does have away around its counters thanks to its incredible coverage movepool. Defensive Carracosta is 2HKO'd by a HP Grass Varient (which is also used to bop Quagsire), Regirock has a good chance to be 2HKO'd by a possible Focus Blast Varient and is 3HKO'd by EQ Varients (no recovery too, so each EQ permanently cripples Regirocks survivability). Physically Defensive Miltank is 2HKO'd by Focus Blast, Specially Defensive Miltank is 2HKO'd by Acrobatics. The above calcs also demonstrate that, in pretty much every scenario, Archeops has a way to heap incredible damage to all its supposed checks / counters list.

Splashability
- What levels of support are required for this Pokemon to function, and how easy is it to maintain this support on most teams?
  • The support needed for Archeops to fulfill its roll as a powerful All Out Attacker or Offensive Defogger is minimal. Its typing is useful, providing it with cool secondary resists to flying types, normal types, fire types as well as a ground immunity which is admittedly quite little, but apart from this, its function as an offensive Pokemon gels well with other Popular Offensive threats in this meta. Sawk destroys all of Archeops main counters, Tauros + Archeops core can be used to Lure / Weaken each others checks for strong results and Archeops can finally be used as part of a balance core, to provide a team with Defog. I've seen this set gather a lot of stick recently and i dont quite understand why. All the major stealth rockers in the tier are 2HKO'd by whatever coverage move Archeops decides to run in its final moveslot OR doesn't resist Archeops 140 Base Attack, 110 Base Power Flying STAB. < This hurts should it be unresisted. An AoA set enjoys Defog Support of its own due to the Defeatist ability.
- Does it have multiple roles it can fulfill on different teams? If not, does this one role accomplish enough to set it apart from other options?

• It has a vast amount of viable movesets which it can run on any team it likes. Here are the main ones: 3 Attacks Roost, Taunt 2 Attacks, SR Focus Sash Lead, U-Turn, Defog, Special Mixed Set, Choice Band, Choice Scarf and Life Orb Attacker. Obviously, each set has a different roll it can fulfill on each team depending on what the user needs. 3 Attacks Roost functions similarly to how splashable Tauros is. The two have differences such as SR Weakness, Priority Weakness and ability, but Archeops has the arguebly better coverage set and as a result the higher potential of wall breaking and forceing sacks compared to Tauros. Defog is also extremely splashable due to how difficult it is to have a good, offensive hazards control. No other pokemon in NU has even close to Archeops attack AND Defog, meaning it can often be priceless on balance teams, should they be lacking offensive presence as well as hazards control.
- What are the roles it fills and how practical are they? Compared to other Pokemon with similar roles, what traits do this Pokemon have over them and how important are these traits?
answered in the last part

Consistent
- How good is this Pokemon at fulfilling its roles? How much do its flaws prevent it from doing its job(s)?
  • This Pokemon is extremely good at fulfilling its designated roll such as All out Attacker or Defogger. This is due to its high offensive presence and coverage to take on SR'ers...yapyapyap. Its flaws are quite critical. Its bulk is below par and it has a really bad ability in Defeatist, which does limit its capabilities fulfilling its rolls. As a result, Archeops HP should always be managed to be kept at a high enough level so that it doesn't have to take on Defeatist status. This can be done through hazards control or supporting it with a solid defensive core to take on priority attacks.
- Is the Pokemon in question potent at most points throughout a battle?
  • If we split a battle into 3 sections, and say how Archeops will perform in the Early Game, Mid Game and Late Game, i would say it performs best in the Mid Game and Late Game. In these scenarios, the likelyhood of Archeops checks having had an amount of damage dumped on them is much higher than the Early Game, meaning Archeops can come in, 2HKO the weakened check and proceed to force sacks left and right due to its high offensive presence in the late game. However, it isnt useless in the Early Game. Thanks to its high attack stat and coverage options, it can proceed to weaken its own checks from the getgo. As a defogger, its extremely potent when the opponents Stealth Rock setter has got damage on it to the point where Archeops can take it out, it means Archeops doesnt have to do much in order to effectively Defog and maintain hazards control.
- How useful is it in different matchups? What playstyles does it fare well and poorly against and how dominant are those playstyles?
  • Archeops generally does well vs Offensive teams (most of the meta) due to its extremely high base speed coupled with base attack and Balance teams due to its wall breaking capability. The archetypes it doesnt fare well with is going to be stall / semistall. This is mainly due to the fact Archeops can't effectively wear down its counters due to Wish Support from Audino and the fact Audino + At least one Flying Resist is on each team. It can only possibly do well if the opponent doesn't have a switchin for Banded Stone Edge or if he, for whatever reason, sacks his checks for Archeops, but we cant assume such things.

Effect on the metagame
- What kinds of trends does this Pokemon set? Think about Speed creep or coverage moves that are run specifically (or at least primarily) for this Pokemon.
  • The precident Archeops sets in this meta is large. It single handedly invalidates any Flying Resist that can't take an Earthquake from Archeops. A prime example would be Probopass. This would check pretty much every Flyging Type we had in NU Effectively, however, another flying resist is needed on a probopass team due to its weakness to Earthquake, meaning it falls to Archeops, and thus your entire team will too should you have to rely on a Pokemon such as Probopass. The end result= Probopass being deranked since it can't perform its Typing to any extent.
- Does this Pokemon affect the viability of other Pokemon (both better and worse), and by how much?
  • We've talked about how Probopass was deranked due to its (in)capability taking Archeops, but it affects other Pokemon too in a positive way too. Its main check, Rhydon, despite the fact its 2HKO'd by Aqua Tail and 3HKO'd by Earthquake, is S Rank, and i cant help but feel its S Rank'ing has something to do with how ""well"" it can switch into an Archeops Acrobatics. A more recent positive ranking is Floatzel. The reason floatzel is ranked so highly now, rather than before, might be because its speed tier outspeeds that set by both Archeops and Tauros. Not to mention the fact that any self respecting Scarfer has to at least outspeed those 2 mons previously mentioned for it carry any kind of weight as a revenge killer.
- Does this Pokemon threaten a common team archetype? I answered this question in the consistency section.

Conclusion
tl;dr Archeops is Tauros but has access to defog, a not entirely useless typing (defensively ofc), an EXTREMELY vast coverage movepool and very few counters. Its an S Rank mon in my opinion due to its effect on how we teambuild (flyging checks no longer weak to ground coverage) and how well it can plow through its checks thanks to different coverage options. It also pairs nicely with a lot of the tiers top threats and carrys a very nice speed tier on par with Tauros, also in S Rank.

Disjunction

big post, but I'll do my best to address all of your points. I disagree with the nomination here and have for a while.
Threat level
- How difficult is it to stop this Pokemon offensively and / or defensively?

This pokemon is extremely difficult to carry an Offensive Check for, the closest your going to get is Rotom-N and even then its going to be taking a surprising amount of damage from Acrobatics, meaning that, at most, its only going to be checking Archeops once, and not at all if it isnt carrying a Choice Scarf. 252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 118-139 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO. These sort of calcs reside with tonnes of popular checks to Archeops. Possibly the most common Archeops check, Rhydon, is 3HKO'd by the most common coverage move on Archeops, Earthquake, and easily 2HKO'd by Aqua Tail, a common 3rd coverage move or even primary coverage move due to how prevalent Rhydon is in the current meta. Not only this, but here is a list of checks and how well they switch into Archeops, and its vast coverage moveset.
OK, so I'm going to start out by saying that, no, Rotom is not the only offensive Archeops check. Offensive checks to Archeops include Floatzel, Kabutops, Samurott, Rotom-S, Piloswine, and Carracosta, to name a few and, yes, there are quite a few more mons that can check it too. It's obvious that a lot of these can't switch in, but they're called offensive checks for a reason. They check Archeops offensively, as opposed to defensive checks, which check it defensively. These Pokemon force Archeops out, which is big considering how difficult it is to switch-in Archeops in the first place.

If you'd like to talk about defensive checks, yes, Archeops is able to crush a lot of them with its diverse movepool. Unfortunately, that's literally the NU metagame right now. If you don't believe me, I'm going to bring back to everyone's attention Magmortar, Shiftry, Jynx, and WispHex Rotom, a handful of Pokemon outside the S Ranks that have maybe 1-2 good switch-ins in the entire tier. Oh, right, there's also Vivillon, Kabutops, Aurorus, Cacturne, Articuno, and Chatot to drop another couple of names. You can probably name 1 or 2 mons that switch in reliable to each of these Pokemon every time, but ultimately, if any of these Pokemon get a free switch-in, force a switch, and pick the right move, they'll get a kill/sweep. This isn't a "you have to play perfectly for this Pokemon to work" kind of argument I'm spinning here, it's literally the meta right now. Each of these Pokemon are excluded from S Rank, and even A Rank, because of their specific flaws that hold them back. Archeops has its fair share of flaws, which I will mention when I address your next point

- What are the best general methods of dealing with it, and how effective are they?

Via these calcs, the best Pokemon to deal with Archeops would be Defensive Carracosta, Regirock, Mega Audino and Miltank. In the case of the two rock types, they have pure bulk to take it on, as well as ability to hit it with Super Effective STAB moves especially in Carracostas case, with AJ being Super Effective, meaning even if Archeops does run Hidden Power Grass, its still in check due to AJ and the threat that is to take it into Defeatist range.
All in all, these Pokemon in the current meta aren't really easy to fit on a team. Defensive Carracosta / Regirock carry too little of a niche to justify using them over Rhydon (in the case of Costa, Water STAB and Solid Rock and Regirock has Thunder Wave). As a result, their pure usage in the tier is actually quite minimal, meaning that, in reality, you arent going to encounter them very often. Mega Audino is a touch and go subject. The only real set which checks Archeops reliably is the Defensive WishTect set, and even then, it NEEDS to Mega Evolve to avoid a being heeped with pressure by Archeops, Archeops beat Normal Audino's 1v1 eventually, should a crit occur. Non STAB Dazzling Gleam doesn't do enough damage for it to threaten Roost Archeops effectively. The problem with this is that with Mega Evolution you lose the preferred Regenerator ability, meaning its much more susceptible to prior damage. But even moreso the problem, it completely loses to a Taunt varient of Archeops. It means its no longer a reliable way of taking on Archeops since its reliable recovery in Wish and Protect is gone. In Miltank's case, its probably one of the better Archeops checks. The problem with Miltank is that it has to run Physical Defense EV Investment and even then, its flat out 3HKO'd by Acrobatics no matter what. The reason its a good check is because Milk Drink is as reliable recovery as they get, and TWave is enough to make Archeops essentially useless. Miltank however struggles to fit on most NU Teams however. This is due to how popular Offensive Normal Types such as Tauros and Kangaskhan are, and generally, if people are going to run 2 normal types on a team, it will be in an offensive manner, to break each others checks. Miltank doesn't do this. Also, the fact that Normal Types themselves don't resist very many types, people will feel inclined to using something with more resistances such as Rhydon itself, Ferroseed or even Mesprit / Torterra.
First, I'm just going to say that you neglected to mention Musharna and Weezing here. Musharna is very safe switch-in to chops and Weezing has 1 or 2 safe switch-ins depending on how much Pain Split and Sludge recovery you can snag. However, even without mentioning these two, you haven't addressed the actual question the criteria asks here which is "What are the best general methods of dealing with it, and how effective are they?" The answer to this question is not "check every Archeops set defensively," it's "keep yourself in a position where Archeops cannot switch in." This is true of all 4 S Ranks, given that they are powerful offensive titans, but it is especially true of Archeops because of how much easier it is to accomplish.

Archeops sports a very disgusting ability, and terrible defensive typing. You can go on about its great offensive merits, but when it's so pressured to stay above 50% to be a relevant threat, especially when it's weak to the most common entry hazard, it becomes an easily exploitable weakness. Hell, Archeops can't even switch into Defensive Garbodor without fearing a Gunk Shot Poison ruining its potential late-game. This fear of taking any extra damage is what separates Archeops from other relevant wallbreakers because it means it'll be effectively dead twice as fast, possibly faster if you consider other wallbreakers like Sawk and Tauros aren't weak to Stealth Rock and, therefor, aren't taking as much damage per switch in.

- Does the Pokemon have ways of working around its countermeasures? If so, how much does it have to sacrifice to do so?

Apart from Mega Audino, yes, Archeops does have away around its counters thanks to its incredible coverage movepool. Defensive Carracosta is 2HKO'd by a HP Grass Varient (which is also used to bop Quagsire), Regirock has a good chance to be 2HKO'd by a possible Focus Blast Varient and is 3HKO'd by EQ Varients (no recovery too, so each EQ permanently cripples Regirocks survivability). Physically Defensive Miltank is 2HKO'd by Focus Blast, Specially Defensive Miltank is 2HKO'd by Acrobatics. The above calcs also demonstrate that, in pretty much every scenario, Archeops has a way to heap incredible damage to all its supposed checks / counters list.
I'll mostly leave this point alone because one of Archeops' defining qualities is its ability to find ways around its counters, but I would like to mention some discrepancies. Personally, I would never run Focus Blast Archeops considering it's sacrificing reliability for the ability to hit very niche mons, such as Miltank and Cradily. It's useful for hitting Regirock, but Regirock is not the hardest Pokemon in the metagame to prepare for. Additionally, Defensive Carracosta has ~50% chance to beat Archeops in a worst case scenario of it switching into Hidden Power Grass.

4 SpA Archeops Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 186-222 (52.8 - 63%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Carracosta Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 134-158 (46 - 54.2%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Defeatist Archeops Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 96-114 (27.2 - 32.3%) -- 41.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Assuming the Costa users gets >50% on the Aqua Jet roll, it can just sit and Scald because the second HP Grass doesn't kill. Of course, this is guaranteed if rocks were set beforehand.

Oh, and I'd like to make another soft reminder of Musharna/Weezing.

Splashability
- What levels of support are required for this Pokemon to function, and how easy is it to maintain this support on most teams?

The support needed for Archeops to fulfill its roll as a powerful All Out Attacker or Offensive Defogger is minimal. Its typing is useful, providing it with cool secondary resists to flying types, normal types, fire types as well as a ground immunity which is admittedly quite little, but apart from this, its function as an offensive Pokemon gels well with other Popular Offensive threats in this meta. Sawk destroys all of Archeops main counters, Tauros + Archeops core can be used to Lure / Weaken each others checks for strong results and Archeops can finally be used as part of a balance core, to provide a team with Defog. I've seen this set gather a lot of stick recently and i dont quite understand why. All the major stealth rockers in the tier are 2HKO'd by whatever coverage move Archeops decides to run in its final moveslot OR doesn't resist Archeops 140 Base Attack, 110 Base Power Flying STAB. < This hurts should it be unresisted. An AoA set enjoys Defog Support of its own due to the Defeatist ability.
I think you're understating how much support Archeops requires and overstating what its typing can do for it. I'll start with its typing because that's the easiest.

Assuming a best case scenario for Archeops where Stealth Rocks are off the field and it comes in on a resisted hit, I've prepared a list of scenarios:

Archeops vs. Pyroar
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Archeops: 169-199 (58 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Archeops: 138-163 (47.4 - 56%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

Archeops is knocked into Defeatist and is pressured to Roost. Easy switch in to another offensive threat.

Archeops vs. Magmortar
252+ SpA Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Archeops: 136-161 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO

More sketchy on being knocked into Defeatist, but it's still a strong chance. If you get the roll, Mag is more than able to switch up moves by going for EQ, Flame Charge, or Tbolt to keep Archeops in check.

Archeops vs. Combusken

252 SpA Combusken Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Archeops: 420-494 (144.3 - 169.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's the only relevant calc considering if Archeops comes in on anything busken does, aside from BP, it'll get the Speed Boost and can Protect the second turn to be able to outspeed.

Archeops vs. any Flying-type

Rotom-S is a counter for any non-Edge variants, you clearly win against a Vivillon that goes for Hurricane at neutral speed like a silly goon, Scyther 9/10 times clicks U-turn anyways but cool if you catch it using Aerial Ace, and Archeops v Archeops is lol.

I'm only going to address the three most important Normal-types in NU right now, Tauros, Swellow, and Kangaskhan.

Archeops vs. Tauros

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 148-174 (50.8 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Pretty self-explanatory, but Archeops cannot switch into Tauros's Rock Climb and can't Roost on anything it throws out. Plus, speed ties make it even sketchier.

Archeops vs. Swellow

252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Archeops: 135-159 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 63.7% chance to 2HKO

Hitting it with another Boomburst will either kill or keep it in Defeatist, where it fails to kill Swellow.

Archeops vs. Kangaskhan

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 147-174 (50.5 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 49-58 (16.8 - 19.9%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 110-130 (37.8 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

DEdge 2HKOes, Fake Out + Sucker puts you in Defeatist and you have to play 50/50's with Earthquake. Archeops switching into Fake Out is probably the best case Archeops has on this list of resistances considering it has a much stronger chance to win the flips. Of course, Archeops also just loses to Aqua Tail Kangaskhan if it switches in on a Double-Edge.

Of course, these scenarios are only describing moves that Archeops resists and doesn't include Stealth Rock. Again, this outlines how easy Archeops is to pressure because of its frail defenses and poor typing.

This connects with the other point you made about it "needing relatively low support." Archeops desperately requires hazard removal and teammates that can create opportunities for it to come in safely, whether it be through offensive pressure or slow momentum. These may seem like 2 easy things to accomplish on a team, but as the metagame is becoming more and more offensive, it's hard to consistently grab slow momentum, create that offensive pressure against the opponent, and find opportunities to remove hazards. Thus, Archeops comes with an opportunity cost over other wallbreakers, given the support it needs to stay effective throughout a match.

- Does it have multiple roles it can fulfill on different teams? If not, does this one role accomplish enough to set it apart from other options?

It has a vast amount of viable movesets which it can run on any team it likes. Here are the main ones: 3 Attacks Roost, Taunt 2 Attacks, SR Focus Sash Lead, U-Turn, Defog, Special Mixed Set, Choice Band, Choice Scarf and Life Orb Attacker. Obviously, each set has a different roll it can fulfill on each team depending on what the user needs. 3 Attacks Roost functions similarly to how splashable Tauros is. The two have differences such as SR Weakness, Priority Weakness and ability, but Archeops has the arguebly better coverage set and as a result the higher potential of wall breaking and forceing sacks compared to Tauros. Defog is also extremely splashable due to how difficult it is to have a good, offensive hazards control. No other pokemon in NU has even close to Archeops attack AND Defog, meaning it can often be priceless on balance teams, should they be lacking offensive presence as well as hazards control.
It's nice that it has a lot of movesets (although I would say some of them are questionable, like Choice Scarf, and the fact you mentioned 3 Attacks essentially three times by also mentioning Life Orb Attacker and Special Mixed) but that doesn't mean it serves multiple roles very well. Archeops's viable roles are as a wallbreaker/cleaner, stallbreaker with Taunt, lead rocks or Defogger. The only reason it's A+ right now is because of its offensive capabilities, not because of its other sets. These sets do not make Archeops harder to beat, they do not add any level of depth to the way you play Archeops, and, though I know a couple of people are going to hound this, I'm of the opinion that these sets are sacrificing opportunity cost and wasting the potential Archeops has. The stallbreaker set is not fabulously bulk, still sports that awful defensive typing, can't run Leftovers if it wants to maintain any semblance of offensive pressure, and only really beats 1 relevant bulky set up sweeper, Mega Audino. The Lead Sash set is better than it has been, but, like most suicide leads, proves to be extremely matchup reliant and sketchy. Finally, the Defog set is completely mediocre and almost defeats the purpose of Archeops. What makes Archeops so threatening is that it's able to carry that mysterious 3rd coverage move that could beat your supposed counter. However, if you're running Defog, not only does that mean Archeops is even easier to kill, because it will be switching in on Stealth Rock, but it's even easier to switch into because of its limited coverage. It's already hard enough to bring in Archeops, why would you want to waste a turn of its valuable field presence doing something passive like removing hazards?

- What are the roles it fills and how practical are they? Compared to other Pokemon with similar roles, what traits do this Pokemon have over them and how important are these traits?
answered in the last part
I didn't. Tauros has arguably less opportunity cost as a 110 physical wallbreaker in this meta. Much like Archeops, it has interchangeable coverage to beat common switch-ins, but, unlike Archeops, it's consistently threatening until it goes down. Tauros might have 1 or 2 more safe switch-ins compared to Archeops, but it requires way less support and finds itself less pressured because of its better all-around bulk and ability to hit hard below 50%.

Consistent
- How good is this Pokemon at fulfilling its roles? How much do its flaws prevent it from doing its job(s)?

This Pokemon is extremely good at fulfilling its designated roll such as All out Attacker or Defogger. This is due to its high offensive presence and coverage to take on SR'ers...yapyapyap. Its flaws are quite critical. Its bulk is below par and it has a really bad ability in Defeatist, which does limit its capabilities fulfilling its rolls. As a result, Archeops HP should always be managed to be kept at a high enough level so that it doesn't have to take on Defeatist status. This can be done through hazards control or supporting it with a solid defensive core to take on priority attacks.
Yes, it's great that Archeops can fall back on a teammate to support its weaknesses, but the act of forcing out Archeops is the important part. Being able to find another opportunity where Archeops can come in, as previously mentioned, is hard and keeps the pressure on it. I hope I'm driving home this idea of pressuring Archeops because it's really easy to do when it's mostly worthless below 50%. It's also not right to just understate "keep hazards off the field." Hazard control in NU may be getting progressively easier with each shift, but that does not mean it is still easy to accomplish, by any means. There is an opportunity cost you're paying by running teams that require hazard control because of the turns of inactivity they create. Additionally, if the opponent is prepared to pressure your setters, you're playing with a deadened slot. The hazard game is not easily won and assuming you'll always win it does not make Archeops any better of a choice over other wallbreakers.

- Is the Pokemon in question potent at most points throughout a battle?

If we split a battle into 3 sections, and say how Archeops will perform in the Early Game, Mid Game and Late Game, i would say it performs best in the Mid Game and Late Game. In these scenarios, the likelyhood of Archeops checks having had an amount of damage dumped on them is much higher than the Early Game, meaning Archeops can come in, 2HKO the weakened check and proceed to force sacks left and right due to its high offensive presence in the late game. However, it isnt useless in the Early Game. Thanks to its high attack stat and coverage options, it can proceed to weaken its own checks from the getgo. As a defogger, its extremely potent when the opponents Stealth Rock setter has got damage on it to the point where Archeops can take it out, it means Archeops doesnt have to do much in order to effectively Defog and maintain hazards control.
- How useful is it in different matchups? What playstyles does it fare well and poorly against and how dominant are those playstyles?
Archeops generally does well vs Offensive teams (most of the meta) due to its extremely high base speed coupled with base attack and Balance teams due to its wall breaking capability. The archetypes it doesnt fare well with is going to be stall / semistall. This is mainly due to the fact Archeops can't effectively wear down its counters due to Wish Support from Audino and the fact Audino + At least one Flying Resist is on each team. It can only possibly do well if the opponent doesn't have a switchin for Banded Stone Edge or if he, for whatever reason, sacks his checks for Archeops, but we cant assume such things.
I won't argue with you on this point because I mostly agree with it. I could argue about the viability of CB Chops, but I've seen it used a couple times to some success so it's not worth touching on.

Effect on the metagame
- What kinds of trends does this Pokemon set? Think about Speed creep or coverage moves that are run specifically (or at least primarily) for this Pokemon.
The precident Archeops sets in this meta is large. It single handedly invalidates any Flying Resist that can't take an Earthquake from Archeops. A prime example would be Probopass. This would check pretty much every Flyging Type we had in NU Effectively, however, another flying resist is needed on a probopass team due to its weakness to Earthquake, meaning it falls to Archeops, and thus your entire team will too should you have to rely on a Pokemon such as Probopass. The end result= Probopass being deranked since it can't perform its Typing to any extent.
I'll talk about Probopass in the next section because you bring up more points there that should be addressed.

Otherwise, yes, I'll agree again on the fact that Archeops is hard to check defensively and therefor sets some precedents on what can check it.

- Does this Pokemon affect the viability of other Pokemon (both better and worse), and by how much?

We've talked about how Probopass was deranked due to its (in)capability taking Archeops, but it affects other Pokemon too in a positive way too. Its main check, Rhydon, despite the fact its 2HKO'd by Aqua Tail and 3HKO'd by Earthquake, is S Rank, and i cant help but feel its S Rank'ing has something to do with how ""well"" it can switch into an Archeops Acrobatics. A more recent positive ranking is Floatzel. The reason floatzel is ranked so highly now, rather than before, might be because its speed tier outspeeds that set by both Archeops and Tauros. Not to mention the fact that any self respecting Scarfer has to at least outspeed those 2 mons previously mentioned for it carry any kind of weight as a revenge killer.
I would like to say that we deranked Probopass not because it was a bad Archeops check, but because it was an embarrassingly bad Normal- and Flying-type check in general. Sure, Archeops having access to EQ fucked with it, but so did Tauros with EQ, Zangoose with CC, and Kangaskhan with Drain Punch and EQ. It had almost no good points over better Rock-types, such as Regirock and Rhydon, who could simultaneously check Fire-types.

Rhydon is S Rank because it's a catch-all check to Pyroar, Archeops, Tauros, and Volt Switch users, while providing Stealth Rock, and almost invalidating other Stealth Rock users in the process because you're paying a hefty opportunity cost by not running in a lot of cases. Additionally, its offensive sets are very difficult to stop for some teams and can crush certain matchups depending on which nature it chooses and its fourth moveslot, Megahorn or Swords Dance. Sure, Archeops plays a small role in its placement, but Rhydon's certainly not S Rank because of its ability to soft check the bird.

Otherwise, yes, I'll agree with you that Archeops has set an important standard with the 110 Speed tier alongside Tauros. However, I'd argue that Tauros alone would be enough to set this standard, but that's theorymonning.

also, sorry g, I can't just let someone out-paragraph me :pimp:

don't you guys have school or something better to do @_@.

chops is rly good, but it should probably stay in A+. its a rly scary wallbreaker but bringing it in safely is still a pretty difficult task considering that pretty much all of the defensive mons in the tier either have a way of bringing it into defeatist or statusing it. having used defog chops on a couple teams recently, i'll be the first to say that its pretty mediocre. i pretty much only put it on if i'm really weak to t-spikes and don't have another way to remove them, since it blows to have a frail defogger that loses 25% of its health switching into rocks, can't switch into common stealth rockers, and becomes weak as all hell after it drops below 50%. the only other set that's even worth running is 3 attacks roost, and even then you have to choose between knock and aqua tail to hit rotom or rhydon which are like the 2 most common mons in the meta right now. remember, nobody's saying that its a bad mon, it's just nowhere near as meta defining or splashable as the other S-ranks imo.

thats the best answer i can give, but i didnt fully read either of your posts and tbh i really dont expect anyone else to have either. it's turned into a game of "if i make my post long, it's easy likes" and that's really not what a discussion thread should be about. personally, i think it should be shorter posts that people can actually read, understand, and respond to in a similar fashion, since otherwise newer users may seem intimidated, and the discussion is dominated by the users who decide that they need to make longer posts (and a lot of the time these longer posts aren't even that relevant, just long and droning on about the same points over and over. trust me i know, its how I passed english in high school).

just my 2 cents :toast:
also this isnt a meme so dont delete it

Disj edit: I don't think it's fair to say either of us were like farming. Hjad brought up very good points by referring to the criteria and I wanted to give his post the respect it deserves by responding to all of it. It's a very comprehensive discussion, so it's likely there will be some lengthy responses

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
C+ to D / unranked

I don't think Ursaring has a very notable position in this meta at all. The Quick Feet set is like a mix between Swellow's Speed and Zangoose's power, but it does the mix very awkwardly. The fastest threat it can outrun is Pyroar, meaning it doesn't manage to outrun the likes of Tauros, Archeops, Floatzel, and Swellow itself. In terms of strength, it is barely ahead of Tauros, but when you consider that Ursaring takes damage from status every turn just to get its Facade (and only its Facade, not its other moves) going whereas Tauros can launch boosted attacks for basically free, the advantages are heavily outweighed yet again. Oh, and while Guts Swellow lacks Fighting and Ground coverage, it is both faster and stronger than Quick Feet Ursaring, which is just kind of sad at this point.

Then there is Guts, which is already eclipsed by Zangoose as it is as Goose's Speed and priority lets it perform far better against offense while still giving it tremendous wallbreaking power, not to mention having more opportunities to activate the status orb via revenge kills. What's that, Ursaring has additional coverage options like Earthquake and Seed Bomb? I've heard so many people say that Earthquake allows Ursaring to bypass Garbodor without killing itself, but there are some factors to consider:
- First off, the Zangoose situation is kind of exaggerated; it's not like Zangoose is resigned to KO itself against Garbo when it can at least throw out Knock Offs to remove Garbo's Rocky Helmet on the switch so that when it KOes Garbo with Facade, it'll still have like ~50% by the end of it, assuming Zangoose was not poisoned when it uses Knock Off.
- In order for Ursaring to not end up in the same situation as Zangoose, it needs to Earthquake Garbodor on the switch (Adamant Ursa is slower, and Jolly Ursa does not OHKO); should it use any other move at that moment, the damage would already be done and you'd be chastising yourself for not just using Zangoose in the first place.
- There is also a rise in more offensive Garbodor variants due to the faster pace of this meta, which can smack Ursaring and render the whole 'avoid extra damage' thing entirely moot.
What this means is that Earthquake is far too inconsistent to warrant ditching Zangoose for it, so Earthquake only really consistently targets defensive Mawile, which is an easy enough threat to work around via more efficient teambuilding. Seed Bomb does OHKO offensive Rhydon and Carracosta, but Zangoose's Close Combat cleanly 2HKOes the former (or KOes after a Knock Off) and nearly OHKOes the latter (can be enough to prevent a Shell Smash sweep) so it's not like Zangoose is not adept at fending them off, so again, good teambuilding can help work around Zangoose's inability to OHKO those two (namely priority to pick them off) instead of being forced to consider the largely less efficient Ursaring.

Last edited:

Disjunction

Just going to give you guys a soft reminder that we aren't accepting nominations for the new drops yet. I'll just delete any that come through.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
C+ to D / unranked

I don't think Ursaring has a very notable position in this meta at all. The Quick Feet set is like a mix between Swellow's Speed and Zangoose's power, but it does the mix very awkwardly. The fastest threat it can outrun is Pyroar, meaning it doesn't manage to outrun the likes of Tauros, Archeops, Floatzel, and Swellow itself. In terms of strength, it is barely ahead of Tauros, but when you consider that Ursaring takes damage from status every turn just to get its Facade (and only its Facade, not its other moves) going whereas Tauros can launch boosted attacks for basically free, the advantages are heavily outweighed yet again. Oh, and while Guts Swellow lacks Fighting and Ground coverage, it is both faster and stronger than Quick Feet Ursaring, which is just kind of sad at this point.
I agree with this but I would say D rank is fine for Ursaring. Quick Feet is definitely the only worthwhile set, and while being outsped by Tauros, Archeops, Floatzel, and Swellow (and Sceptile!) is bad, on certain teams it's permissible if you have solid checks for those threats already (like Scarf Rotom). Meanwhile, Close Combat is a pretty big advantage, and again is something that depends on your team composition as to whether it's the deciding factor over Swellow. Not being weak to Rocks is also good, and compared to Tauros it has 100% accuracy on all its moves, which helps it out as a late-game cleaner. These advantages are certainly niche, but it's not like Probopass where its disadvantages make it completely unviable compared to its peers.

Disjunction

Code:
Drops:
Sceptile --> A+
Steelix --> A
Pinsir --> B+
Banette --> D

Camerupt --> B-
Altaria --> B-
Beedrill, Lopunny, and Glalie will remain unranked.

Nominations:
Swellow A- --> A
Hariyama B+ --> A-
Ursaring C+ --> D
I haven't had the time to put together another detailed post on some of the more recent noms because it's a busy season. I'll try and go back and touch on some of the nominations that went through so you guys don't think we're ignoring you.

Otherwise, go wild with nominations. I think the list could use some work now that things have been shaken up as much as they have. Just from a cursory glance over things, I could see
Piloswine,
Klinklang, and
Jumpluff possibly having their ranks reevaluated.

Thanks dudes :toast:

erisia

Innovative new design!
B+ => A-

There's been a ton of buzz about Weezing recently and it's more than justified, as it's a fantastic anti-meta defensive pivot at the moment, stopping the new Steelix / Sceptile / Pinsir in their tracks with its standard physically defensive spread while still dealing with old threats such as Sawk / Rhydon / Hariyama / Piloswine. Upon switching in, Weezing can spread Burns around the opponent's team, use Sludge Bomb to inflict reasonable damage (and potentially punish switch-ins with Poison), use Pain Split to get some health back later in the game, or set-up Toxic Spikes for its teammates to abuse. Flamethrower also ensures it isn't dead weight against Steels after it Burns them. It can even run Memento to help a sweeper set up once its health is depleted, while Taunt, Clear Smog, and Haze can be used to deter opposing setup sweepers. Especially in the early game, Weezing can consistently switch in to threatening attackers without being too passive, due to its variety of offensive/disruptive options. Black Sludge is the best item in general as it provides more recovery and punishes Trick users, but Rocky Helmet is also good for really stacking up residual damage, as Weezing will switch into contact attacks most of the time. While its lack of reliable recovery and mediocre special bulk are drawbacks, Mega-Audino is a fantastic partner that can deal with both of these problems on both defensive and balanced teams at very little opportunity cost, and Weezing's superb matchup against the metagame in general at this point makes it worthy of A-, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)