Project ORAS OU - Better Battlers Project (Rules and Guideline Changes- Read the OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
revamp approved by bludz
Original approved by AM and Aragorn the King

-Better Battlers Project-

One of the biggest struggles new players in any game face when starting out is improving how they play. In most strategy games it is encouraged to review games afterwards in order to gain an understanding of what improve on. However, how can a new player truly improve if they aren't fully aware of what they did right or wrong? Not to mention the frustration of losing often prevents people from analysing their games regardless of experience. This is where the Better Battlers Project comes in. This thread has two purposes, for newer players to receive assistance on how to play matches and for experienced players to go through their own thought processes during a match, allowing both newer and more experienced users alike improve the way they play. Hopefully this will slowly improve the notoriously low quality of the ladder and also shake up the rather stale tournament scene with some new blood.

To further the help this thread will give to players regardless of skill level, every 2 weeks my co-host Analytic will post an incomplete replay or a printscreen of a team matchup, asking players to assess how they would approach the game from there/start the match. These will hope to promote better playing from even those who are not posting replays.

The Basic Idea
  • Any player can post a replay of a recent match they had, an importable of their team and a summary of the match, explaining their goal for the match and key plays made.
  • Someone from the analysis panel or community will analyse your game, giving you tips. Experienced members of the community can also help out if they wish.
  • Tournament players and other experienced users are also encouraged to post replays of good matches they've had recently to demonstrate what sort of thought process a good player will have during a match. These will likely not be analysed by the team and are there for the benefit of all.
Rules
  • Be civil, the aim of this thread is to help people, not scare them off. Like my mum always used to say, If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Any flaming of other users WILL NOT be tolerated.
  • Make sure to use Hide tags in your post to prevent cluttering (for those that don't know it's [ hide ] what you want to say [ /hide ] (remove the spaces inside the square brackets)).
  • This is for OU battles only, I dont particularly care If you played really well in Balanced Hackmons, this isn't the place for it.
  • Do not help people if you yourself are not experienced. Doing that will only serve to clutter the thread.
Guidelines for people posting replays
  • Upload matches you felt were close and weren't swayed one way or another because of hax. It's hard to help someone get better if the match was just a jirachi paraflinching everything in its path.
  • Giving some context to what the team(s) you are using are trying to accomplish will help people write better reviews.
  • If you have further questions you want to ask a reviewer, PM them privately to avoid cluttering the thread.
Guidelines for people responding to replays
  • First ones pretty simple, don't give the person shit because they're not at the same skill level as you, thats just going against all the stuff this thread is trying to promote. Being thorough with criticism, however, is encouraged.
  • Try to focus on improving the players thought process rather than criticising poor move choices. If those move choices reflect a poor thought process then go ahead and comment on them but if the person switched in a Bisharp on a potential Defog from a Latios and the opponent used HP Fire instead then dont berate them for it.

NEW GUIDELINE FOR POSTING AND REVIEWING REPLAYS - IMPORTANT
Previously, replies to peoples replays would often lack depth, focusing on a play-by-play commentary rather than actually attempting to improve the way the person plays. You may have noticed myself attempting to deviate from this play-by-play commentary because I feel it actually helps a player improve in future matches more so than the normal way does.

For this reason, a new template for posting replays will be implemented that aims to complement this. Instead of posting a single replay and going through your thought process, I would ask that players post at least 2 (preferably more), with a description of their general goal in each match rather than a turn by turn commentary. From here someone will be able to help hopefully more effectively than if it were a single replay.

Template for posting
Code:
Battle: Put your battle links here
[HIDE=Team]copy and paste your team into here[/HIDE]
Username: Put your username for the battles here
Summary: Put the summary of the matches and the description of your teams strategy here
Leadexrs
Flamer
Analytic
GeeMick

Last edited:
Okay so we're gonna be starting something new. SPL is going to start soon, we're gonna break down one ORAS OU game every week and dissect things like team matchup, lead matchup, unnecessary/bad plays, and provide an in depth analysis of this match. We hope that it provides newer players an insight into the higher level players' minds, and hopefully increase their knowledge in the process

There was a battle I had recently that really annoyed me, where the opponent pretty much had a set of six troll Pokemon, one of which was a Jerachi. I don't think hax played too much of a role, but I could be underestimating that. There were two obvious misplays on my part because I overestimated my defenses, so I know where the problem was there. Would that still be the type of thing I could post here? I also can't post more replays unless I played more matches, because the only other meaningful recording of me was a lot more obviously decided by a Jerachi flinching me. If the other match is acceptable, should I also play some more matches to get interesting replays before posting?

Even though I can't say I'm new to the forum, I haven't really posted in anything serious before, so I don't really know what I'm doing. Sorry about that being the first reply to the new topic.

There was a battle I had recently that really annoyed me, where the opponent pretty much had a set of six troll Pokemon, one of which was a Jerachi. I don't think hax played too much of a role, but I could be underestimating that. There were two obvious misplays on my part because I overestimated my defenses, so I know where the problem was there. Would that still be the type of thing I could post here? I also can't post more replays unless I played more matches, because the only other meaningful recording of me was a lot more obviously decided by a Jerachi flinching me. If the other match is acceptable, should I also play some more matches to get interesting replays before posting?

Even though I can't say I'm new to the forum, I haven't really posted in anything serious before, so I don't really know what I'm doing. Sorry about that being the first reply to the new topic.
Guidelines for people posting replays
  • Upload matches you felt were close and weren't swayed one way or another because of hax. It's hard to help someone get better if the match was just a jirachi paraflinching everything in its path.
I think this is what you went through? Yeah, not acceptable then. Please read the OP from next time onward

here's a good one. I won, but i still think its worth looking at:

Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-312644854
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Rest

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword

Username: stealthfox2
Summary: Match of Stealthfox2 vs ruses are gay: My team is built around sweeping with Mega Diancie, and his seems to be built around Regigigas?.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay so we're gonna be starting something new. SPL is going to start soon, we're gonna break down one ORAS OU game every week and dissect things like team matchup, lead matchup, unnecessary/bad plays, and provide an in depth analysis of this match. We hope that it provides newer players an insight into the higher level players' minds, and hopefully increase their knowledge in the process
Are these going to be on your YT channel, or are they going to come into the thread. Just wondering since week one spl finished already

Hi, I am posting 2 replays here on the OU ladder using the team described below. I have put my summary and how I approached the game as well as the team description. Hopefully, someone can help me get better.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- Quick Attack

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 152 HP / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Superpower

The team is designed around Terrakion spamming Close Combat / Stone Edge to break defensive walls while Mega Manectric checks Flying-types, Scizor and Water-types for it. The other Pokemon like Psychic Manaphy and Toxic Lando-T also support this as they lure troublesome Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, Quagsire and Lando-T. Torn-T is a Special sponge and Gengar check while Jirachi supports the team with Healing Wish while helping against Mega Lopunny, Gengar and Mega Aerodactyl.
Replay 1: Looking at his team, I know that I cannot set up with Manaphy at all as it will cause him to sweep me with +3 Scald. His team also lacks a true switch-in to Banded Terrakion outside of Lando-T, so my plan is to weaken it to spam Stone Edge / Close Combat. Since he has no hazard remover, I set up Rocks to chip away at Lando-T while also pressuring him with VoltTurn as I need Ditto and Lando-T weakened to win. I think I did just that until the hazard and Poison damaged it to Sucker Punch range. When Terrakion gets weakened, I plan to sac anything to let Jirachi use Healing Wish on it to continue the clean up. However, since my own Lando-T didn't die when I expected it to, I just go with the flow and let it clean.

Replay 2: This team is difficult for me to face as only Tornadus-T can damage Celebi reliably while Skarmory and Celebi can put my sweepers at bay unless I play smart. My plan was to use Banded Terrakion as a battering ram since nothing on his team likes switching in on it. I also need chip damage to get rid of his bulky Pokemon and Talonflame. In the beginning, I was just getting outplayed with passive moves as he hazard stacks.I begin making aggressive push with Terrakion, Manaphy and Tornadus-T so that Donphan cannot spin my hazard away. When Keldeo goes down, I know I've won because everything in his team is in KO range of Banded Stone Edge. To get rid of Talonflame, I use Healing Wish to restore Manaphy. It also forces his Celebi to play aggressively instead of using Recover which he can do if I HW Mega Manectric. Finally, it all comes down to me hitting 3 Stone Edge in a row which I did.

Hi, I am posting 2 replays here on the OU ladder using the team described below. I have put my summary and how I approached the game as well as the team description. Hopefully, someone can help me get better.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- Quick Attack

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 152 HP / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Superpower

The team is designed around Terrakion spamming Close Combat / Stone Edge to break defensive walls while Mega Manectric checks Flying-types, Scizor and Water-types for it. The other Pokemon like Psychic Manaphy and Toxic Lando-T also support this as they lure troublesome Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, Quagsire and Lando-T. Torn-T is a Special sponge and Gengar check while Jirachi supports the team with Healing Wish while helping against Mega Lopunny, Gengar and Mega Aerodactyl.
Replay 1: Looking at his team, I know that I cannot set up with Manaphy at all as it will cause him to sweep me with +3 Scald. His team also lacks a true switch-in to Banded Terrakion outside of Lando-T, so my plan is to weaken it to spam Stone Edge / Close Combat. Since he has no hazard remover, I set up Rocks to chip away at Lando-T while also pressuring him with VoltTurn as I need Ditto and Lando-T weakened to win. I think I did just that until the hazard and Poison damaged it to Sucker Punch range. When Terrakion gets weakened, I plan to sac anything to let Jirachi use Healing Wish on it to continue the clean up. However, since my own Lando-T didn't die when I expected it to, I just go with the flow and let it clean.

Replay 2: This team is difficult for me to face as only Tornadus-T can damage Celebi reliably while Skarmory and Celebi can put my sweepers at bay unless I play smart. My plan was to use Banded Terrakion as a battering ram since nothing on his team likes switching in on it. I also need chip damage to get rid of his bulky Pokemon and Talonflame. In the beginning, I was just getting outplayed with passive moves as he hazard stacks.I begin making aggressive push with Terrakion, Manaphy and Tornadus-T so that Donphan cannot spin my hazard away. When Keldeo goes down, I know I've won because everything in his team is in KO range of Banded Stone Edge. To get rid of Talonflame, I use Healing Wish to restore Manaphy. It also forces his Celebi to play aggressively instead of using Recover which he can do if I HW Mega Manectric. Finally, it all comes down to me hitting 3 Stone Edge in a row which I did.
OK, so the main problem here, is that your running a volt turn team, with a lack of hazard removal which means that you'll end up being worn down VERY quickly as seen by the reoccurring spike teams above. The only thing that comes to mind is Starmie over Manaphy, as Volt-Turn itself can generally destroy stall.

Hey! I know this thread is kinda dead but it hasn't been locked yet so I figure I should still be fine posting here.
One of the things that was mentioned to me on an earlier version of this thread was that I needed to make better gameplans, so I picked a game where I felt like I had improved on that. I at least had an idea of what I was planning to do, but I may not have executed it perfectly.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-350854433
Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze
- Extreme Speed

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Flamethrower

Ok, so right of the bat I see he doesn't have a ground type, and a lot of his team is pretty frail (Weavile, Hawlucha, and Manectric mainly). So right off the bat, my goal is to wear him down with volt-turn until I can clean up with priority. Scizor can wall his Weavile as well, so it and Rotom are really important.
Additionally, I realized that every time I could get Hoopa in on Slowbro, something on his side was gonna take a BIG hit. So that was a major early and mid-game goal for me.
I realized that Manectric's pre-mega ability blocked my Volt-Switch, but I figured I could deal with a +1 Mega Manectric if I needed to with enough priority (I was thinking to sac Loom and get off a Mach Punch, then finishing it off with Entei's E-Speed), using Clefable if necessary, as Clef could do work, but I didn't really need it to.

Turn 1: I led with Rotom and Volt-Switched, as I didn't anticipate the switch into Manectric on the first turn. The switch into Latias was almost perfect for me, as it allowed me to get Scizor mega evolved on the next turn.

Turn 2: And that is exactly what I did. Now my opponent's switch into Slowbro allowed me to get in Hoopa for free, and deal BIG damage for free. Yay Specs Hoopa!

Turn 3: A bit of a misplay, and it ultimately cost my my Clefable. Thunderbolt was actually the safer option here, as it hit everything except Manectric (which was not gonna switch in ever, it was too important to my opponent) and Latias (which I also thought would not switch in) for neutral damage, while Dark Pulse was resisted by Hawlucha who could then completely steal my momentum. Which is bad for Volt-Turn.

Turn 6: I got a bit greedy by directly switching in Hoopa, but no one on my team really wanted to take that crit burn, and it may have been better for Hoopa to take it than Rotom, who was the alternative. Had I not lost Clefable, that would have been my switch-in, but that was my own fault so :/

Turn 7: My opponent is now using Latias as a Hoopa switch in, which totally caught me off guard, as it arguably did more to my team than Weavile.

Turn 12: Now that Manectric is at such low health, I feel really comfortable Volt Switching because Entei can revenge M-Manectric at any time and I still have a Breloom to sac to it.

Turn 15: Nope. After careful and scientific analysis, Latias is not a Hoopa switch-in. Ever.

Turn 18: Where my burn at?

Turn 20: There's the Manectric... I almost clicked Hydro Pump too.

Turn 23: Not quite sure why he switched out, but sacking Loom still seems like the best play. It was a 50/50 between Bullet Punch killing my Breloom and U-turn weakening my Rotom, and Rotom was far more important than Breloom.

Turn 24: Where my burn at??

Turn 27: Turns out that keeping Rotom pretty healthy paid off, because I'll need that health. At this point I need to limit Rotom's switch-ins, so I'll be relying on Scizor a bit more.

Turn 30: Hoopa was the least valuable member of my team at this point. I needed Entei to actually clean up, and Rotom and Scizor kept up my offensive pressure. The only thing Hoopa did was capitalize on free switches into Slowbro, but everything besides Weavile was weak enough that there weren't any walls for it to break anymore.

Turn 31: I get lucky with a crit, but it would've taken two low rolls to not 2HKO anyway so it probably didn't matter. At this point, everything is 2HKO'd by E-Speed so my endgame plan is in play.

Turn 41: Where my burn at??? Seriously though, 50% chance to burn, 5% chance to miss, guess which one happens. It didn't matter, but a burn on Slowbro would've been SO nice.

Ultimately, my plan worked, which was nice, but I'm not sure if I played it quite right. I won, but I didn't win as comfortably as I should have against a team that weak to mine.

This thread isn't completely dead and there's been no replies, so I'll try my hand.

I will review this blind, so my opinions are my genuine decisions as if I was in your position. Once I post my decision, I will watch the turn and read your description.

---
Team Preview: The goal here is to attempt to simulate the opponent's default gameplan. Hawlucha's a massive beacon here, it's only viable set is a one-and-done setup opportunity, meaning that it can't be based off anything else. Megaman and zor reveal a small Volturn strategy, in getting Hawlucha into a position to set up. Latias at this point is 110% defog to keep volturn from wearing itself down and to give Weavile breathing room, which should be the case anyway but this is low ladder, anything can happen. Weavile's a strong mon with priority to get volturned in and to break through teams that bank on landog/chomp as their physical walls, while slowbro looks to be a standard pivot to get off TWaves or cheeky scalds. tl;dr lucha setup, volturn to get it into position, latias to avoid self-wear through volturn, weavile for priority and to cheese landog/chomp builds, bro to pivot into whatever if needed.

As for your own gameplan... your team seems to be exclusively "get in hoopa, nuke stuff, clean up", banking on hoopa pretty heavily. That works in this game, though.

Washtom doesn't beat lucha when it's set up and your only fighting resist is bopped by +2 acro, and only fears an ESpeed + other prio, so that's probably gonna be his gameplan this game.

In terms of leads, your opp's manectric outspeeds everyone, overheats/flamethrowers loom/zor, and safely volts off everything else (or try a cheeky non-mevo tbolt vs. washtom if he thinks you're volting), only fearing a Hoopa lead, which he probably doesn't expect due to having weavile, lucha, and a strong priority in (probably) banded zor's bullet punch. A hoopa lead would have worn Hoopa down, but Dark Pulse does a ton to everyone, as his two resists are frail. However, keeping it and abusing Slowbro switchins can help avoid wearing down if you get a free switch, so a Clefable lead to recover off the Volt or set rocks (or if you're real, flamethrower the zor switch, twave is more popular anyway so he might not expect it) can work too.

Lead: Hawlucha lead. http://media.giphy.com/media/OYgcKl4X7fvyM/giphy.gif

The lead matchup is in your favor.

Turn 1: The play to make here was Will-o-Wisp; while Volt would heavily damage lucha and give you momentum if he switches, the manectric switch-in is extremely enticing. Saying this is low ladder, it would be safe to assume a manectric switch is coming because low level players LOVE that sort of thing, where you might have gotten away with a hydro. But his main way to deal with washtom is Latias due to minimal hydro/volt damage, so in higher-level matches (and in this scenario) Latias would most likely come in, especially on turn 1, to absorb whatever and to get in position to nuke whatever you switch into. Wisp here is a safe, long-term play, wearing down Latias through LO + Rocks + burn and getting free switches on Roost turns, while putting Manectric on a timer for his volt-switch shenanigans - basically a rocks switchin at the end of each turn - and without risking Lightning Rod.

As for switch-ins, Scizor's in no rush to mega evolve unlike some other, more offensive megas, so that shouldn't've been a priority, although the free U-Turn (well, almost. Should scout for a random HP Fire first) would certainly be a big deal. Clefable is also a good idea, as it has a plethora of things it could do, be it setting rocks or hitting Zor with a flamethrower on the switch. Moonblast would get you nowhere right now. It should be noted, however, that since you're running Wish instead of Soft-Boiled (which I reccomend), a potential Psyshock crit could have put you really, really far back.

Turn 2: No reason not to U-Turn, doesn't take a tour player to figure that out.

Same applies for switching into hoopa. No reason to ignore a sucker, and there's no potential for luring here.

Turn 3: Something something ban hoopa. IDK. I'm pretty sure Dark Pulse 2HKOs even spdef m-zor, so there was literally no reason not to click it (which is why TBolt WASN'T the better play). The lucha sure is interesting, though. And no sitrus. This isn't the standard hawlucha set; I'm pretty sure the predicted gameplan we made at the beginning is null and void now, he has something else in mind.

Turn 4: My suspicion is that the hawlucha's Power Herb Sky Attack, as it's popular on low ladder luchas (big nuke LOL, more reliable in setup than sub/sitrus, dont use it tho doesnt do enough damage post-setup) which means he's probably going to stay in and either go for it to wear down Rotom or make a safe HJK. Either way, Mega Scizor can eat both, and KO with Bullet Punch, easily recover the damage, or U-Turn. Probably Bullet Punch - his way of punishing it is switching into his own zor, hope you u-turn, and underspeed + u-turn your switchin.

And it turns out I was right. Clefable was enticing to take the HJK, but got murked by Power Herb Sky Attack (I don't think the crit mattered). This was ultimately due to switching to clef, not clicking TBolt. The good news is, Unburden resets if it switches out, so scaring it out with priority makes hawlucha a lot less threatening. Entei can work, but Mega Scizor would still have done it better.

Turn 5: ESpeed was safe, opponent probably figured lucha was worthless now anyways. Which isn't true, but it would have a hard time doing much the rest of the match. Might have still been better to sack it and regain momentum.

Turn 6: Slowbro's either Scalding or Toxicing if it's staying in, or a double to Weavile on the hoopa switch. Saying he still kinda loses to hoopa, and since he's still kinda losing despite holding the momentum, I'd assume the double, in which case staying in and Extreme Speeding again would put you in a REALLY strong position. Of course, he could still potentially stay in and scald, but ultimately, we don't know enough about the opponent to predict his playstyle and therefore which play he'd lean towards, and he knows a Weavile double gone wrong could basically lose him the game, so it's really a 50/50. You still have m-zor to switch into weavile if that happens, so it's probably safe enough to switch into Hoopa.

Critburn hurts, though. The timer is too short to be a wincon anymore, just a powerful wallbreaker to open up holes. You still get a free Dark Pulse, but you're much more suspectible to priority now, as you're effectively weakened.

Turn 7: Dark Pulse is still completely free, no reason not to.

...? For the record:
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Weavile: 137-162 (48.7 - 57.6%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO

Might be carrying pursuit, but still no real need to focus blast. More of a contingency issue though, since the opp should have gone to weav.

The lati switchin was dumb, something something low ladder. Opponent should have gotten murked for his misplay, but w/e.

Leftovers. Remember this, it's important. Very little damage output.

Turn 8: No reason to not go m-zor, lefties latias HP Fire would do 0. Free U-turn. Could only pivot into manectric, but specs focus blast would leave a dent.

Turn 9: Free U-turn. He has no good switch-ins.

The best idea here might be Entei (which you ended up doing, gj). Band to pseudo-ignore Intimidate, can tank any hit. loom and zor probs don't kill with their priority and get roasted. No real reason to wear down Washtom, which still has uses, while Entei's only really there to beat zor, and washtom can do that with wisp.

Turn 10: No need to E-speed, you took any hit anyway and you didn't need Entei healthy for anything. Sacred Fire hits the hardest of everything, and had a strong chance of burning Latias or Slowbro. A scizor double would have also put you in a big advantage, but had too much risk in case he predicted it. Which he might, he's pretty down now.

Turn 11: Washtom doesn't like the burn chip, but likes it a lot better than your other options. Hoopa's no longer available as a switch.

Turn 12: A free volt... or is it? Manectric is low, non-evo'd, and low ladder loves to abuse stuff like lightning rod. Hydro would have killed, while Will-o-Wisp would be the contingency answer as it affects everything - wears down manectric, latias, and slowbro if it decides to stay in, and cripple zor and weav.

See that volt damage? 7. Wisp is 12 per turn. If your goal is to wear down latias you're doing it wrong. Maybe if you had 0 switchins and you needed pressure to beat it, but not now.

Breloom can still Mach Punch the weav (it lives one ice shard afaik), it's not sac material just yet. And entei's still at full, use that.

But volting on manectric would give it new life, and free entei damage. Could potentially still turn the match. Shouldn't've been comfortable. (EDIT: fsr I got it confused with Volt Absorb up to turn 20. My bad. Last sentence still applies.)

M-zor still the best option.

Turn 13: Still a free U-turn. At this point you're dancing around with washtom/zor, no need to do anything else. Just will-o with washtom and hardswitch into zor.

Turn 14: Still should've will-o'd IMO, but getting this volt off worked out. Going to Breloom would work here, does the least work ATM and puts you in a position for a free spore.

Hoopa was still useful for you, shouldn't've sacked it. You managed to get a free switch this time, but scald was certainly an opportunity. As was catching on to the constant volting and switching in manectric.

Turn 15: Whee free dark pulse.

Turn 16: Hoopa's basically dead, just sack it. If weav is cocky and SD's, dpulse + bpunch from zor finishes it off.

Zor still works as a switch in, but what are you saving Hoopa for? He's not gonna let Slowbro get kills, and that's the only way it'll do work. Of course, you'd basically need to try to get bro to kill something anyway lol, and you already have three other ways to beat it.

Turn 17: Yeah, U-turn works. Hits bro, kills weav, kills manectric, gets entei out vs. zor.

Turn 18: Free Sacred Fire. No burn hurts a bit but is workable, was a 50/50 anyway.

Turn 19: Washtom, again with scald. At this point you have well-defined counters to what he does, you should have the win in the bag.

Turn 20: I have a feeling that the opponent's caught on, and switching Manectric in. I'd be careful. Will-o-Wisp still doesn't hurt.

How'd I know? I swear I didn't peek the replay/your notes. At least it's still weak to priority, which is what I was worried about before, when I thought it was Volt Absorb lol. I'd say this is choke #1.

Turn 21: Good thing you kept that hoopa I guess. Sack Hoopa. Not gonna do anything, and everything on your team's getting bopped by thunderbolt or flamethrower, while everything non-rotom's getting intimidated, which might matter.

Thankfully he bolted, so loom lives. Be careful next time.

Turn 22: Mach Punch. No need to lose loom now, at least force out something else.

Lefties zor, didn't notice that before. Not band, but most likely holding Roost. Remember this.

Turn 23: Ambiguous play here. Roost and Bullet Punch are both options. Unsure how much BP does to Entei, but I'm pretty sure it fails to 2HKO with lefties, so Entei seems to be a strong option.

You had no reason to sack loom. It could still mach punch manec, spore, and bullet seed bro.

Turn 24: Same as last time, sacred fire.

No burn again, 25% chance. That's the chance of Magma Storm missing, or 5% less than Focus Blast or Hurricane missing. The lower chance, but still nothing to get mad over.

Turn 25: Washtom is still the best option, although it's getting a bit low now.

No burn is nice.

Turn 26: Megaman is mega now, volt away! Nothing but benefits.

Zor's your only real switchin now, scald burn is still scary.

Turn 27: U-turn. Where's my popcorn? might as well check my youtube sub box while we're at it...

Too bad it doesn't kill.

Critburn again? okay. Crit is fine, burn is annoying but happening sooner or later. Didnt have many other options. It does mean that you now have to be a bit more careful with washtom, maybe get a pain split off something later on if it's healthy enough?

Turn 28: Volt is basically the only option, letting Slowbro potentially heal up after a wisp would be dumb. And puts more burn damage on you.

Free entei switch. Time to try and burn bro again!

Turn 29: No reason not to Sacred Fire.

...waitwat? What was your gameplan there? Double on the bro switch? I don't think you needed to. Now he gets a switch to megaman, which BP doesn't kill. This is probably choke #2.

Turn 30: At this point, zor dies and washtom dies. Entei can take a hit and retaliate, but Hoopa's basically useless at this point. The only use it had was as death fodder or to win in a 1v1 slowbro scenario.

Turn 31: Entei can stomach a hit. Sacred Fire kills everything but bro, which gets another chance to burn it. Which you kinda want right now, since washtom/zor is running low.

now THAT is a game-changer. A big one. Something's going down next turn.

Bro could have taken an espeed, switched to zor, come back in with regen health and scald/get a chance to switch out again, so yes, the crit does matter a lot.

Turn 32: ESpeed. The opportunity to knock out bro now is too big, kills megaman, kills weav, 2hkos zor, with contingency for a regen'd bro available in the form of a hard switch to washtom next turn, literally no matter what. This is also why the crit matters, a double regen'd bro would be basically back in action, for more burn chances on zor, and washtom might be just a bit too weakened...

Turn 33: Your opponent has two options: Hardswitch bro on the espeed or roost on the switch to slowbro. This is a really hard, ambiguous call, but based on how the opp's been playing, I'll say he's hardswitching, and switch in Washtom.

But I guess I was wrong. He went for the Roost, and you read it correctly. But now bro gets a free switch, and you're forced out... can washtom take a hit?

Turn 34: Scizor can't afford the potential burn, so washtom's the only real answer.

Unfortunately, the opp reads that and recovers.

Turn 35: Slowbro's his wincon now, washtom and zor are weak enough. The real question is, will he tank the volt, or sack megaman? I think he wants to tank it and to Scald. This is when you need to be a bit more risky in order to get ahead, so Pain Split the full Slowbro as it stays in.

Good. You're back in action, with the upper hand.

Turn 36: He's most likely going to recover, so Volt Switch seems to be the only real option. Wisp would be too little too late and give slowbro a free turn.

Pain Split seems like a good idea, but you give Slowbro a free turn to recover, putting you back at square one. This is probably choke #3.

But he Psyshocks instead. This is important since you can no longer switch into another Psyshock.

Turn 37: Now that you're too weakened, you basically need to get your health back somehow. Pain Split again. I don't think Volt kills.

Yeah, volt doesn't kill, and now you have a problem. Either Zor's taking a Psyshock (it would take stupid reads to be Scald), or bro just got a free recovery. At any rate, zor's your only choice at this point.

But it's psyshock, so it works out. Keep in mind washtom's inability to switch into a psyshock.

Turn 38: Free U-turn is free, something dies.

Whoa, he just sacks his bro. You win now lol.

Switch to Entei and E-speed everything.

Turn 39: ESpeed still kills after indimidate afaik. I don't see you losing this one.

Turn 40: Actually, you can. If it's sash weav and he crits everything. Maybe not even then.

Losing band doesn't matter, espeed + bp wins.

Turn 41: Going fast is fun. Extreme Speed whee

UHHHHHHH

Even unbanded, Extreme Speed + Bullet Punch won the game. Knock Off doesn't even kill, so 2 Extreme Speeds would have won. Why Sacred Fire? Choke #4.

Turn 42: See above.

...and you still don't espeed. Serious question, what was keeping you from clicking Extreme Speed?

Turn 43: Bullet Punch, win the game.

okay. At this point, you're just asserting dominance. He probably should have ice sharded, but a flinch would have really hurt, as would a crit, if you decided to not Bullet Punch next turn.

Turn 44: See above.

Yay, it finally happens.

Hope that helps.
Monkey Smurf

I swear I was getting to this :/, unis been intense so usually I end up half writing a post and dont finish it, I do plan on getting it together at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)