OU ORAS OU Good Cores (Outdated)

Balanced Core: PhysDef Tangrowth + Mega Diancie

Tangrowth + Mega Diancie are such an awesome core to play with; Tangrowth's surged in popularity recently and its synergy with so many mons and being a blanket check to so much of the meta is no doubt a huge part of this. Just looking at the types alone, they both cover each other's weaknesses almost flawlessly, with Tangrowth checking the waters and grounds that Diancie hate (and even acts as a decent check to steel types if running HP Fire), while Diancie takes on the flying and fire types which are so potent to Tang.

Currently, Landorus-T is everywhere and is one of the best all round checks to Diancie, but Tangrowth is a phenomenal stop to it, punishing U-turns with Rocky Helmet, and eating up EQs like the fat monster it is. Furthermore, PhysDef Tang hard stops Azumarill in its tracks, with 216 Def EVs allowing it to consistently avoid the 2HKO, and then heal off with Giga Drain or Regenerator. Growth also hard stops Ferro, and is a good check to the likes of Loom, Scarf Keld, Starm, Driller, Mega Meta, Mega Lop, Gyarados and Jirachi as well as knocking off Chansey; all mons which can really threaten Diancie.

Meanwhile, Diancie threatens the powerful Fire + Flying types that Tang hates. It's one of the best stops to Char X and TFlame who can both set up on non Sleep Powder/Rock Slide Tang. This is in conjunction to being a great check to Mega Pinsir, Staraptor, Entei, Heatran (with EPower), Zard Y, Non Scarf Kyube, and Tornadus-T.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Fire

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Nedor, starry blanket, and myself looked through the latest cores and decided to add these to the archive:

Mega Heracross & Jirachi by kek123 ~ Bulky Mega Hera is a great Pokemon currently, and Jira does a nice job supporting it. Mega Hera's low speed leaves it vulnerable to being revenge killed by several faster threats, such as Latios, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, Mega Zam, and so on. Jira does a good job checking these Pokemon and faster offensive threats in general, making it a useful partner in this regard. It also provides Healing Wish support. This is particularly useful because it directly supports Mega Hera's main role as a wall breaker, making it an even better tool against defensive teams. Overall, this core showcases one of the more recent metagame trends in bulky Mega Heracross and supports it pretty well, earning it a spot in the archive.

Terrakion & Garchomp by -Magic- ~ This is a neat offensive core that has been used to good effect in the past, such as in the Mega Slowbro balance build featured in the sample teams thread, albeit with a different variant of offensive Chomp. The general idea behind the core is simple and effective: work towards the goal of a SD Chomp sweep by using CB Terrak to break down the similar checks and counters they share. Like the core above, this one also showcases one of the more recent rising metagame stars in CB Terrak, who has gained more traction recently. It's a relevant and good core with a clear aim, and earns a place in the archive.

Mega Slowbro & Tornadus-T by -Magic- ~ We don't have any cores with Mega Slowbro in the archive, and this one is a pretty basic yet effective core we felt would be good to add. Mega Slowbro in itself is a very potent win condition, and Torn-T helps it out with some of the Pokemon it has some big issues with, namely grass types like Serperior and strong breakers like Gengar. Otherwise, not much else to say. It's a straightforward core with enough flexibility to be built around in a few ways, making it solid all around.

Volcarona & Mega Manectric by Dr Ciel ~ There are currently no Volcarona cores, and we decided this was a nice core to feature with it. Mega Manec does a good job supporting Volcarona by threatening some of the Pokemon it has issues with most, such as Talon, Azu, and Zard-Y. Mega Manec also does a decent job wearing down things like Tran throughout a game via repeated Volt Switches, which Volcarona benefits from in the long term. Being able to bring in Volcarona for free against Pokemon like Mega Venu is also nice, further showing how these two work together well. The core still leaves enough flexibility to provide Volcarona with the hazard control it needs from Pokemon like Latios or Starmie, making it a solid core to consider when building around the moth.

Cores we will consider adding after some small modifications:

Tangrowth & Heatran by -Magic- ~ This is a standard and proven core. The only thing we'd like to see edited is the choice of item on Heatran, as we feel Leftovers is the overall better option over Air Balloon here. This gives Heatran much more longevity to handle several threats, and the necessity for Air Balloon isn't too big with Tangrowth being able to check ground types decently even with AV.

Volcanion & Mega Metagross by King Sun ~ Clear idea behind the core. Volcanion benefits from Pursuit support to eliminate Lati@s, while Mega Metagross benefits from Volcanion's ability to pressure Pokemon like Mega Sciz, Skarm, and Hippo. The main thing we'd like to see modified here are the EVs on Volcanion. Mentioning the standard EVs with max speed would be nice to avoid having Volcanion outpaced by a few things.

If you'd like to know why your core was left out or what could be done to improve it, feel free to message me, Nedor, or starry blanket and we'll give our feedback. Lastly, we are going through a bunch of older cores from the previous editions of this thread to see whether there is anything worth updating. By 'updating,' we mostly mean modernizing the sets for the metagame we are in currently, whether it's through EV changes, move modifications, and so on. We are nearly done doing this, so expect that update by this weekend!

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Icy Wind
- Superpower

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

A bit of an unorthodox core but I'll explain. So this is what I'd like to call a BirdSpam core, made around Honchkrow breaking down a ton of Talonflame's checks for Talonflame to clean up late-game. Honchkrow can do massive damage to bulky Ground-types like Garchomp and Landorus-Therian on the switchin with Icy Wind, which slows them down and also prevents Honchkrow from killing itself trying to kill TankChomp, which is really good. Superpower is used to break through Tyranitar mainly, which helps Talonflame greatly, but it also wears down bulky Steel-types, although they're usually not a problem for Talonflame. Honchkrow can even sweep on it's own sometimes thanks to Moxie, and it's wallbreaking power off the bat, which makes it 2HKO bulkier stuff like Quagsire, is pretty nice to wear them down for Talonflame. This core does necessitate heavy hazard control, and a way to deal with things such as Mega Diancie, but it's a pretty solid offensive core that really helps set up a Talonflame sweep thanks to Honchkrow breaking a ton of it's checks and counters.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just posted about Mega Chomp in VR, and decided to see if the classic Mega Chomp sand core was on here, but alas.

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

I think this core should be added to the archive because it's a pretty classic core that has been showcased a few times in some high level matches and has proven to be successful. Obviously this is meant to be used in conjunction with T-tar or Hippo preferably the former, as both of them are able to take advantage of Sand Stream thanks to their abilities. This core's job is to be able to take on many different kinds of builds commonly seen in the metagame, such as bulky offense, balance, stall, and offense. Mega Chomp is very strong and with Sand Force it can muscle through stall teams that depend on Quag or Skarm to deal with offensive grounds. It also 2HKOes Clefable with ease, as well as bulky Lando-T and Mega Slowbro at +2, which can only fish for Scald burns. The issue with Chomp is that it's slower, so offensive teams packing things like Weavile, Torn-T, Mega Mane, and Keldeo will be a bit of a problem for it. That's where Excadrill comes in, as it is able to outspeed most of what is found on offense and cleave through weakened teams with ease, especially after a boost. Bulky offense primarily uses Rocky Helm Lando-T as their sand check, and this core HEAVILY pressures it to a point where Exca will be able to clean up afterward. Mega Chomp isn't the greatest Mega in the world nor does it have great defensive synergy with Exca teams, but they're both so dangerous when combined offensively that it's practically impossible to prepare for the duo, and when played correctly they can be devastating.

Yes I contary to popular belief I can use fairies other then Clef or Gardevoir and Yes you can call her COCs Empress if you wish. Anyway first time posting here so I hope Im not doing anything wrong. I noticed a Lack of Gyarados Cores so I figured I'd try to fix that

+

Sets
Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power / Psychic / Hidden Power Fire
- Protect / Rock Polish

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 240 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

I've been playing around with this as a Bulky Offence core recently and noticed the 2 work very well together. The Idea is to basically Pivot into each others Checks until 1 can break through the oppenent. Not Only do they cover many of each other weakness's They set up on them. Offensive steels Like scizor and Metagross or Bulky mons like nidoking that can force diancie Out are beaten and set up apon by gyarados who when given a single chance to Dragon Dance can sweep Teams. In return Diancie deals with dragons like mega Latias, Garchomp and Hydrogen as well as Klefki and thundo, Mons that can easily prevent Gyarados Sweeping if left alive. She also mitigates Rocks.

Diancies Spread is the Standard with protect being prefered but rock polish is certainly viable if you want to Break past electric spam easier. Gyarados use's the Standard Jolly Spread to ensure at +1 it beats the 135 tier. The Core is not without its issues tho. Bulky Grass's Like ferrothorn and Tangrowth as well electric spam cores and even rouge stuff like unaware calm mind clef can ruin your day so pairing them up with mons that can handle these are a must. Good Partners include latias, Heatran, and Tyraniter and Hazard Control beyond diancie can also help. But regardless the core is a fantastic offence core that can work on anything from balance to hyper offence.

Last edited:
Yes I contary to popular belief I can use fairies other then Clef or Gardevoir and Yes you can call her COCs Empress if you wish. Anyway first time posting here so I hope Im not doing anything wrong. I noticed a Lack of Gyarados Cores so I figured I'd try to fix that

+

Sets
Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power / Psychic
- Protect / Rock Polish

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

I've been playing around with this as a Bulky Offence core recently and noticed the 2 work very well together. The Idea is to basically Pivot into each others Checks until 1 can break through the oppenent. Not Only do they cover many of each other weakness's They set up on them. Offensive steels Like scizor and Metagross or Bulky mons like nidoking that can force diancie Out are beaten and set up apon by gyarados who when given a single chance to Dragon Dance can sweep Teams. In return Diancie deals with dragons like mega Latias, Garchomp and Hydrogen as well as Klefki and thundo, Mons that can easily prevent Gyarados Sweeping if left alive. She also mitigates Rocks.

Diancies Spread is the Standard with protect being prefered but rock polish is certainly viable if you want to Break past electric spam easier while Gyarados use's the Standard Jolly Spread to ensure at +1 it beats the 135 tier. The Core is not without its issues tho. Bulky Grass's Like ferrothorn and Tangrowth as well electric spam cores and even rouge stuff like unaware calm mind clef can ruin your day so pairing them up with mons that can handle these are a must. Good Partners include latias, Heatran, and Tyraniter and Hazard Control beyond diancie can also help. But regardless the core is a fantastic offence core that can work on anything from balance to hyper offence.
I think you need Jolly 196 Spe to outpace base 135s at +1

+
+
(optional)

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind/HP Electric/Flying

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

This core has already been posted with Mega Mane, but Spex Keld + Scarf Ttar is an extremely effective core on its own & can be used with lots of other megas, so I felt like it deserved its own mention. Keldeo is an extremely effective wallbreaker in this metagame, and Tyranitar gives Keld lots of support to help it reach its full potential. It has the ability to switch into lots of Flying and Psychic types that check our horse, namely Talonflame & Lati@s. Access to Pursuit can prevent these checks from escaping, which is always a big plus. Keld returns the favor by comfortably switching into Bug, Steel, and Water moves aimed at Ttar, as well as easily beating physically fat Grounds and Steels such as Lando and Skarm.

Outside of their shared weakness to Fairy & Grass types, this core hates fast mons that beat Keldeo with Fighting coverage, such as Tornadus-T and M-Zam. Through my testing of this core, I've found that Chople Berry + Power Whip Ferrothorn supports this core extremely well. Azumarill is perhaps the biggest annoyance to this core, and Ferro provides a solid counter to non-BD versions. Ferro also beats some grasses & most fairies when it loses its fighting weakness which really helps the core out. Assuming both mons are at full HP, Ferro beats M-Zam and Jolly M-Pinsir 1v1, and can severely dent opposing Keldeo & Tornadus-T at the cost of its own life, which is sometimes worth it when using this core. Last but not least, Ferro has access to Stealth Rocks, which no team can go without.

EDIT: To explain the EV spread on Ferro: 252 HP is to maximize bulk, 104 Defense and a Relaxed nature is to survive 2 Close Combats from M-Pinsir, and the rest is thrown into SpD.

Last edited:

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
I thought I'd just dump a bunch of trapping based offensive cores that I didn't see listed in the archive. Sorry if someone else has posted these, but I didn't see them anywhere.

Most trapping cores are pretty self explanatory so I won't be going into massive detail.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Mega Diancie is an insanely threatening Pokemon. Standard fat balance usually uses stuff like Ferrothorn, SpD Skarmory, Klefki and Mega Scizor as the main answer for it. Magnezone paves the way for Mega Diancie by trapping most Steel-types, as well as bringing Mega Diancie in on Volt Switches. Magnezone can also check some Water-types such as Keldeo, and Manaphy which is decent support too.

If Mega Diancie doesn't need Earth Power in the last slow, a move like Stealth Rock or Heal Bell can work in those slots too.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp
This is probably the most interesting of the three cores I've listed. Magma Storm Heatran has spiked in popularity over recent times as a fantastic trapper thanks to Magma Storm. This Heatran set aims to trap popular Mega Lopunny switchins such as; Slowbro and Tank Garchomp, and remove them with the appropriate coverage move (Solar Beam + HP Ice).

In general, Mega Lopunny is a pretty threatening Pokemon to teams without a fat Ground-type or a Slowbro, so that fact that Heatran can lure and remove the majority of common Mega Lopunny switchins on balance is pretty incredible support. Heatran also has the added bonus of checking lots of other threatening Pokemon for Mega Lopunny such as Clefable, Mega Scizor, and Mega Venusaur.

The slashes in Heatran's last slot really all come down to team support. Earth Power hits other Heatran, as well as Mega Charizard X and Volcanion. Taunt can be used to put in work when facing more defensive teams. Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple Pokemon such as Hippowdon, whilst also allowing Heatran to beat Mega Sableye 1v1.
Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Close Combat / Substitute
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
This is by far the most simplistic of all the cores. Mega Pinsir is one of the most fearsome balance breakers in the entire tier. At +2 Mega Pinsir is basically OHKOing everything. Slowbro is OHKOed, and Hippowdon even has a chance to be OHKOed after Stealth Rock. However, Mega Pinsir is stopped in its tracks by Skarmory. Magnezone easily traps Skarmory, and allows for Mega Pinsir to go on its way. Magneton can be a particularly good option over Magnezone for this core in particular. The extra 10 Speed allow it to outspeed and check Pokemon such as Weavile, Tornadus-T, and Talonflame, which can be otherwise threatening to Mega Pinsir.

Since Magnezone should do the job of removing some Steel-types, Substitute over Close Combat is definitely a worthwhile option, and makes Mega Pinsir an absolute menace when facing more defensive balance teams. With a Sub up, Mega Pinsir is almost guaranteed at least 2 kills against slower teams. Substitute can even be good against offensive teams when used correctly, often forcing offense to sack a Pokemon just to break the Substitute.

Pretty simple core, a thing that could be fun is Yache Berry Lando-T. SD Lando Weakens some threats to pinsir like Rotom-Wash / Skarmory and lures Electrics type like Manectric-Mega / Thundurus / Raikou with the berry giving pinsir free time to sweep. Clefable fits well in this core because it can checks Tornadus-T, Weavile, Electrics type, Latios which are annoying. Lando's spread for Outpseed Bisharp / Volcanion / Breloom.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Substitute / Close Combat

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Rock Polish

This is an old core I used to play with in early ORAS, and have really enjoyed lately. Figured I'd break my hiatus with throwing up one of my favorite cores that still works quite well. Hope it gives you some ideas:

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance/Substitute
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Close Combat

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic/Fire Blast

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt/Will-O-Wisp/Substitute

Notable threats: Weavile, Lati@s, Azumarill, Charizard-X,

Heracross breaks down walls, Gengar provides anti-fairy support and appreciates having stuff like Sp.Def switch-ins removed by the other two, Garchomp provides much needed defense, as well as volt-turn immunity and rock support.

Last edited:

Mega Medicham + Tyranitar
Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody posted this before me, since it feels pretty unoriginal. Mega Medicham is an insane wall breaker with the most powerful High Jump Kick in the game, breaking any sort of non-Psychic "catch-all" wall. Tyranitar makes for a particularly effective offensive check because it doesn't just breaks its partner's checks and counters, but actually removes them once and for all with Pursuit -- not just bulky Psychic types like Slowbro, Reuniclus, Mega Latias, Mew and Cresselia, but also fast attackers like Talonflame, Latios, Tornadus-Therian (without Fighting coverage) and Mega Manectric. Specifically, the Choice Band set not only gives Tyranitar the firepower to actually threaten bulky Psychic types, but also the ability to surprise and maim Fairies that like to think they're bulky enough to switch in but are actually not (Clefable, Mega Altaria, Sylveon, even Mega Diancie if they expect a support set), which renders them unable to switch into Mega Medicham at all.

Sets

High Jump Kick is a no-brainer on Mega Medicham. Zen Headbutt allows the core to beat bulky Grass/Poisons like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur, as well as always KO specially defensive Clefable after High Jump Kick (50% to 2HKO max phys bulky versions too after Leftovers). Ice Punch KOs Landorus-T, Garchomp and Gliscor, making Tyranitar's life easier. Fake Out adds to Mega Medicham's reach (notably allowing Mega Medicham to cleanly revenge kill 252/0 Volcanion from full health), while also allowing it to Mega Evolve safely. Bullet Punch can be run if this core is required to beat Mega Diancie.

Tyranitar's set is fairly standard. The speed EVs allow it to outspeed Adamant Azumarill. The moves are also no-brainers. Superpower may seem redundant, but it helps against Protect users like Heatran, Ferrothorn and Chansey.

Weaknesses and Team Support

These two Pokemon together handle any defensive backbone very well, and can fit on any sort of team looking to break stall and balance.

The only defensive Pokemon that this core cannot beat is Mega Sableye, therefore an answer to it is required.

Despite doing very well against defensive compositions, this core can struggle against certain fast attackers like Mega Lopunny and Thundurus, so speed control and offense breakers in general are also needed.

Pivots that can switch into Fairy types are also appreciated.

Clefable is an excellent teammate, able to handle Mega Sableye as well as fast attackers like Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross, Thundurus and Tornadus-T.

Glare Serperior is one of my personal favorites, able to land Paralysis on the likes of Talonflame, Tornadus-T, Latios, Gengar and both Mega Charizards, making them easy prey for the core.

Volcanion is also a solid teammate, able to switch in and beat support Mega Sableye while appreciating Tyranitar pursuit trapping Latios. It can also switch into Fairy types like Clefable and Azumarill.

Thundurus can spread Paralysis for the duo, while also checking Mega Metagross and Torandus-T. It also enjoys the Pursuit support offered by Tyranitar.

Sand Rush Excadrill can take advantage of Tyranitar's sand to threaten offense with its blistering speed.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Offensive Core: Mega Houndoom + Azumarill

Hi! I noticed that the archive didn't have any Mega Houndoom cores. While Mega Houndoom isn't the best pokemon in OU, it can still be used with the right support so I figued I'd post a Mega Houndoom core I've been using a lot lately to give people an idea of how to use it in OU if they are interested in doing so.

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Will-O-Wisp
- Nasty Plot

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Houndoom's Set Explanation: Houndoom's first move is Dark Pulse. It's very spammable STAB that hits most of the tier for decent damage, especially taking into account the lack of dark resists in OU. Next is Fire Blast, the second STAB move. These two moves together give Houndoom good coverage except for a few weak spots. Hidden Power Grass is used next, and it targets the pokemon that resist Mega Houndoom's STAB moves such as mega Diancie, Keldeo, and opposing Azumarill on the switch. Will-O-Wisp is another option that can weaken pokemon like Tyranitar and Landorus-T for Azumarill to come in on more easily. Finally Nasty Plot is used to allow Houndoom to set up and initiate a late game sweep after its checks and counters have been weakened. After just one Nasty Plot boost, Houndoom reaches a dizzying 758 special attack stat. Houndoomite is the item to allow Houndoom to mega evolve, and Flash Fire is the pre mega ability as it allows Houndoom to take no damage from Fire-type attacks.

Mega Houndoom and Azumarill have excellent offensive synergy together, picking off each others checks and counters with ease. Most of Azu's checks such as Chople Ferro, Tangrowth, Serperior, Amoonguss, Scizor, and Gengar are all easily OHKOed by Mega Houndoom's STAB moves. On the other hand, Mega Houndoom's checks such as Keldeo, Mega Diancie, Garchomp, and Tyranitar are heavily pressured by Azumarill.

: Breloom outspeeds Azu and threatens it with Bullet Seed, while picking off Mega Houndoom 100% of the time with Mach Punch after Stealth Rock damage.

: Ironically enough, Azumarill is a threat to an Azu core. Azu can tank hits from Mega Houndoom and reply with a Waterfall or Aqua Jet, while against the Azu in this core whoever wins is determined by a speedtie.

: Although Houndoom can check Gengar, if Houndoom has not already Mega Evolved it is unable to do so as Gengar can hit Houndoom with a super effective Focus Blast before it gets the chance to use Dark Pulse.

: Amoonguss provides the team with a solid check to Breloom and Azumarill, two of the biggest threats to this core.

/
/
: Momentum generators are good with this core as they provide ample opportunity to bring Houndoom in safely and let it mega evolve. They also allow both Azu and Houndoom to take as few hits as possible coming in, helping to keep both of them healthy even though they have a tendency to get worn down.

/
: Latios or Latias provide the team with a Breloom check, hazard removal, and a switch-in to electric types which otherwise can be troublesome for Azu and Houndoom to deal with.

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
When we posted this thread originally, we didn't feature any of the "Old Cores" from the previous threads because many of them were really outdated or ineffective now. Despite this, we didn't want to just throw them all away because there was some good stuff there. So, for the past two weeks, we've slowly been going through these Old Cores to see whether any of them were worth updating for the current metagame. After a while, we've finished updating a bunch of them! You can find them HERE with brief descriptions detailing the edits made to the cores.

The cores were mainly updated for EVs, items, and move choices suited appropriately for the metagame we're in currently. There are a total of 38 updated old cores. From the old cores selected, we tried featuring the cores we deemed most effective. We also picked and updated a few old cores that give representation to some classic, well-known cores that were previously unlisted in the archive of this thread. In hide tags below are the list of cores we updated by name. You can click HERE and use said link to CTRL + F the cores you're interested in seeing from the listing below:
Updated Old Defensive / Balanced Cores

Talonflame + Gastrodon
Hippowdon + Ferrothorn + Starmie
Hippowdon + Amoonguss + Heatran
Gliscor + Clefable
Gastrodon + Mega Venusaur
Mega Sableye + Volcarona
Reuniclus + Keldeo
Clefable + Garchomp + Slowking
Tornadus-T + Raikou
Heatran + Clefable + Mega Latias
Clefable + Reuniclus
Mega Alakazam + Clefable
Mew + Clefable + Heatran
Skarmory + Slowking + Hippowdon
Mega Venusaur + Clefable + Heatran
Mega Slowbro + Tangrowth + Heatran
Slowbro + Ferrothorn + Gliscor

Updated Old Offensive Cores

Mega Diancie + Latios + Magnezone
Mega Sharpedo + Garchomp
Scizor + Talonflame
Mega Beedrill + Starmie
Mega Lopunny + Gengar
Talonflame + Latios
Mega Metagross + Hydreigon
Mega Charizard X + Latias
Mega Lopunny + Manaphy
Mega Gardevoir + Diggersby
Mega Manectric + Landorus-T
Kyurem-B + Mega Scizor
Mega Medicham + Sylveon
Mega Manectric + Tyranitar + Kyurem-B
Weavile + Bisharp
Alakazam + Heatran
Mega Heracross + Heatran
Mega Manectric + Hydreigon
Mega Metagross + Thundurus-I

Updated Old Weather Cores

Omastar + Kingdra
Because there were so many cores to go through (well over 100), there is definitely a possibility we missed some cores worth updating. As such, anyone is encouraged to look through any of the Old Cores from the previous thread (this one) and post updated versions of ones they deem effective.

In regards to cores recently posted in this thread after the last update (starting from BrandonBeast's core), we'll look through them soon and decide which ones will be added to the archive. Until then, keep the cores coming! We hope you enjoy the latest updates.

Last edited:
Offensive Core ft Mega Latias & Terrakion
+

Quite surprised that this wasn't already here. Band Terrakion hits like a truck vs teams that have no rock/fighting resists and is able to 2HKO a ton of mons just through neutral hits. Some of the premier counters to Band Terrakion are the bulky grounds such as Hippowdon, Lando-T, Garchomp and physically defensive grass types such as Tangrowth and Chesnaught. This is where BoltBeam Mega Latias comes in, being able to beat these mons 1v1 and allow Terrakion to have an easier time breaking shit. Reflect Type on Latias also makes it immune to Sleep Powder and Leech Seed from Tangrowth and Chesnaught respectively.

As well as offensively pairing well together, these two compliment each others weaknesses rather well; Mega Latias is able to come in on Keldeo, Serperior, Gliscor and the aforementioned bulky grasses and grounds while Band Terrakion is able to break specially defensive walls such as Chansey and mons that take little from BoltBeam coverage such as Kyurem-Black, Magnezone and Heatran.

Partners to this core include max speed Heatran, which can provide rocks as well as a desperately needed Scizor counter and deal with Clefable. Speaking of which, Clefable appreciates how Terrakion can beat Heatran, Ferrothorn and other steels that hinder Clef from sweeping. Phys Def Tang and Rotom-W also make good partners as they can handle sand and the former can provide a slow Volt Switch to bring in Terrak safely.

Threats to this core include sand, as Tyranitar can potentially beat Mega Latias if it's not running Reflect Type. The aforementioned Clefable and Mega Scizor can also pose a threat as Clef can set up on Mega Latias and TWave Terrakion. Mega Scizor beats Terrakion with Bullet Punch and can set up SDs v Mega Latias.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Quick Attack

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Def / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I've had some cores I've been meaning to share for a while but I've been a bit out of it lately and think it's about time to post them. I haven't been playing mons recently, so I don't have any replays, but I'll try to edit some in when I find good ones to add in.

Mega Lopunny + Terrakion

+

With Lando-T being the main Mega Lopunny switch in for offensive teams, Ice Punch makes it easier to get it out of the way and make it easier for Mega Lopunny, and anything else that appreciates it gone, to dominate. So for the 2nd mon, I went with Banded Terrakion. Banded Terrakion can be pretty hard to deal with since Offensively Rock + Fighting is great coverage, especially when something like Lando-T has been removed/weakened. Terrakion can also help out with bulkier stuff like Skarm and basically weaken similar stuff for Mega Lopunny to eventually pick off.

Ice Punch is necessary as it enables Mega Lopunny to quickly get rid of Lando-T (and Tank Garchomp). X-Scissor on Terrakion helps out with fat Grass types like Tangrowth and Psychic types like Slowbro.

Lopunny-Mega (M) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- X-Scissor

As for Partners/Threats:

/
: U-Turn/Volt Switch to get them in safely while also being able to switch into Sand Offense. Rotom-Wash can help out with Slowbro earlier on before it sets up Calm Mind. Rotom-Wash in particular is really nice since it can help out with flying types namely Talonflame and Torn-T to a better extent than Lando-T.

Something for Mega Slowbro - Mega Slowbro can wall both of them and thus set up against them, so you'd definitely want something to handle or break it. So Grass and Electric types like Tangrowth and Thundurus could help out with that.

Something for Mega Scizor - Mega Scizor if given a chance to set up a Swords Dance (it can tank 1 HJK from Mega Lopunny) can easily KO both Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, so you'd also want something to handle it. Heatran could work out since it also helps out with fat Grass types like Tangrowth.

Mega Houndoom + Amoonguss

+

Made this one months ago and it originated from wanting to use Mega Houndoom and then deciding to pick a defensive partner that can not only switch into Mega Houndoom's switch ins (Keldeo, Azumarill, Mega Altaria, fairy + water types in general), but also punish the opponent with something like Spore instead of having to switch right out. Amoonguss can also handle Breloom (which would just drop Mega Houndoom with Mach Punch), so that's cool. Mega Houndoom can't/doesn't want to switch into anything, so by having a defensive partner, it makes it easier on the rest of the team to avoid forcing it to be fully comprised of bulky/fat mons. This one is really similar to the other one posted above except it starts off with pairing up Mega Houndoom with a Defensive Pivot rather than another wallbreaker.

Wisp on Mega Houndoom helps out with Tyranitar and 4 Speed EV's on Amoonguss lets it outspeed other base 30's like Slowbro. Double Powder is cool since it lets you put something to sleep and then additionally paralyze something that would try to set up or do something against Amoonguss after something already fell victim to Spore. Mega Houndoom also conveniently kills Grass Types immune to Spore/Stun Spore.

Houndoom-Mega (M) @ Houndoominite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Stun Spore

As for Partners/Threats:

/
Help with hazard removal for Mega Houndoom and also act as additional switch ins for Keldeo. They also help out with Volcanion as it really does bother the core.

/
They can switch into Excadrill/Sand Offense and can both provide momentum to get Mega Houndoom in safely. Additionally both of them (mainly Rotom-Wash) help out with the Talonflame weakness the original core has, so that's cool too.

Keldeo can help out with Tyranitar and more importantly can KO Chansey for Mega Houndoom while also providing a better answer for Weavile/Bisharp. Also works well with Mega Houndoom as Mega Houndoom can outspeed and KO Mega Latias and Psychic types like Slowbro.

Fast threats like Mega Manectric, Mega Lopunny and Mega Alakazam are annoying for the team, so Stun Spore can help with that, but otherwise you'll want some form of speed control if you decide to not run it. Also Mega Manectric can't be paralyzed, so you'll want something to handle it too (you'll probably end up using Latios/Latias, but they'll get worn down quickly or Pursuit Trapped, so watch out).

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Mega Heracross + Rain

I noticed a lack of Rain cores in the thread, so I'm going to post a nice core I've been using. Mega Heracross is pretty good on Rain teams because it can check a good amount of threats to Rain teams, such as Ferrothorn and Bisharp, and has the added utility of wallbreaking basically any special wall, especially Chansey, that the special attacking Rain abusers have trouble with. It also resists Grass attacks, which is an added bonus. Kingdra benefits from having Chansey and Ferrothorn threatened immensely by Mega Heracross, and can also break down physical walls like Skarmory that Mega Heracross has trouble breaking through. Politoed finishes off the core by adding the obligatory Rain setter, pretty standard Poli set, nothing much to add. Good partners to this core would include Talonflame checks such as Omastar or Kabutops (Since they fit on Rain) or other checks like Raikou work as well. Checks to Azumarill, a big threat to the core if Mega Heracross isn't running Bullet Seed, are also appreciated, so Pokemon like Ferrothorn or Volcanion can partner up well with this core. Overall, this is a really fun and effective Rain core that supports each member nicely.

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute / Bullet Seed

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain/Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- HP Fire/HP Ice/Stun Spore/Leech Seed

Slowking @ Leftovers/Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

OH YES, A CLASSIC REGENERATOR DUO.

PhysDef Tangrowth and CM Mixed Defenses Slowking are a really good defensive backbone, and cover many things. Generally, Tangrowth takes on powerful physical attackers like Breloom, Offensive Lando-T/Garchomp, CB Azumarill/Tyranitar/Terrakion, and so on, either beating them 1v1, pivoting into an attack and accruing chip damage before switching out, or forcing them out and sleeping/paralyzing the switch in. Slowking is a strong special tank that also serves as a win-con. It checks/beats threats like Talonflame, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diance, Mega Medicham, Mega Alakazam, CM Clefable, Volcanion, RD Manaphy, Crocune, Lati twins, Keldeo and so on (basically, strong special attackers/mixed attackers that can blast past or set up on Tangrowth) and can actually set up on a fair number of these with CM. The fact that both of these mons have Regenerator (and Tangrowth has Giga Drain for semi-reliable recovery, while Slowking has the reliable Slack Off) means you can pivot these mons in frequently and not lose too much momentum/HP (for example, ScarfTar Stone Edge does under 33% to Tangrowth).

Rocky Helmet is the recommended item on Tangrowth because that chip damage on things like U-turning Lando-Ts, LO Bisharp, and so on is really helpful, while Leftovers makes sure Slowking can check things like Mega Gardevoir and Diance after hazards damage more consistently (while Colbur lets you escape being Pursuit trapped by BandTar at least once).

EVs are fairly standard-I choose to run some SpDef on Slowking (Smogon page has this spread with some of the benchmarks it hits) so you can consistently switch in on and beat Mega Gardevoir and Diance, but if you wanna go full defensive investment, feel free to do so.

Threats to this team are things like Zard Y, Mega Heracross, Kyurem-B, Volcarona, Mega Manectric, Mega Pinsir and similar mons.

Offensive Core: Talonflame + Garchomp
garchomp-3.gif
talonflame-2.gif

Sets:
Garchomp (F) @ Lum Berry / Focus Sash / Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame (F) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance

This is a pretty cookie-cutter HO duo I've used to some success recently. Talonflame's checks are everywhere in the current meta (and for good reason), meaning working for Talonflame sweeps can be quite irritating given that a lot of teams pack at least two solid checks. That's why SD Garchomp is fantastic partner---it lures in extremely common Talonflame checks like Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Slowbro, Hippowdon, Gliscor, etc. and either softens them up for Talonflame or outright KOs them depending upon the circumstances.

The two also have solid synergy from a basic matchup standpoint. Garchomp without fire coverage can be pressured by fat steels like Skarm as well as the omnipresent Clefable, both of which Talonflame can deal with well. On the other hand, Talonflame struggles with Tyranitar and Heatran immensely, both of which are EQ bait for Chomp.

The core's really weak to Rotom-W and Slowbro (especially Mega-Bro), so something like Tbolt Latios, Serperior, Toxic Lopunny, etc. are all good partners to help deal with them. Spin support from Starmie or Excadrill is preferred over defoggers as Chomp tends to bite the dust early on and rocks on the opposing side help Talonflame greatly.

Side note: Yache Berry can turn Chomp into an effective lure for fast electrics (Raikou, Thundurus, Manectric), which can open doors for Talon's sweep later on.

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Offensive Core: Kyurem-Black + Magnezone

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

This is a simple core that is exceedingly effective at breaking down bulkier teams. Choice Band Kyurem-B is an offensive powerhouse capable of dismantling many defensive cores by clicking its STAB Outrage backed by an incredible 170 attack stat. But Kyurem-B has two major problems that keep it in check. 1) Steels that resist Outrage, and 2) Faries immune to Outrage. Luckily enough Choice Specs Magnezone eats both of these kinds of pokemon alive! Magnezone's ability Magnet Pull allows it to trap and eliminate the problematic Steels that resist Kyurem-B's Outrage, while countering many Faries such as Clefable and easily beating them with Choice Specs Modest Flash Cannon or severely denting the switchin, which is something Kyurem-B appreciates greatly. Running Choice Scarf Magnezone instead is an option too if checking pokemon like offensive Swords Dance Mega Scizor and Mega Diancie is a priority for you.

: Keldeo outspeeds and OHKOes both of the members of this core with Choice Specs boosted Secret Sword
: Earth Power Mega Diancie is a fairy that also beats magnezone since this set isnt scarf. It clicks Moonblast and Kyurem-B dies, it clicks Earth Power an Magnezone dies.
: Mega Lopunny can outspeed and easily break both of the members of this team with High Jump Kick.

: Excadrill poses a huge threat to this core, being able to live an outrage from Kyurem-B and retaliate with Iron Head, while annihilating Magnezone with Earthquake.

: Slowking checks Mega Diancie, Heatran, Keldeo, and several other things this core has no answer to quite comfortably, while also being capable of taking on Mega Lopunny if needed.

: Amoonguss is really splashable right now and puts in a ton of work against this core's checks. It can handle Keldeo, Mega Diancie, and Mega Lopunny while also being able to lure and paralyze Excadrill with Stun Spore.

Infernal

Banned deucer.
These were added to the archive:

Mega Garchomp + Excadrill by Gary2346 - We lack sand cores and this is a good one to add. Has been used to good success before, with this SPL match being an example of where it's been used effectively. Offensively, Mega Chomp and Exca work together very well. The former is a great tool against fatter teams in general, while the latter covers more offensive ones nicely. Both share similar checks and counters, such as Lando-T and Slowbro. With their power, Mega Chomp and Exca can break these similar checks and counters down for one another, paving the way for a potential clean up. Overall, this core fills a nice gap in our archive by adding an effective sand core that's been put to good use in higher level play before.

Mega Latias + Terrakion by Skarmx2 - Mega Latias + Terrakion has also been used to good effect in higher level play, with "MegaStarUniverse's / TDK's CB Terrakion Bulky Offense" here being a good example of a popular and effective team with the core. Both of these Pokemon are very relevant in today's metagame, and do a good job covering one another. For example, Terrak does a nice job threatening Pokemon like Tar and Tran, all while appreciating having Pokemon like Keld and Gliscor covered by Mega Latias. All in all a great and effective core that fits very well on the popular bulky offensive teams being used nowadays.

Mega Pinsir + Magnezone | Mega Diancie + Magnezone by NotFalse - There isn't much to say here. These two cores are very well known and have been used various times before on ladder and tournaments. Giving representation to these cores in the archive is a good way to continue documenting solid cores that have been used effectively multiple times in competitive environments.

Mega Heracross + Rain by BrandonBeast - We have a noticeable lack of rain cores, and we felt this one was a good one to add. Mega Hera is actually quite cool on rain because of its ability to help the play style deal with threats like Ferro and Bisharp. Being able to heavily threaten stall is also a good contribution Mega Hera brings to rain teams, mainly because the play style can find itself struggling to break these builds otherwise. Kingdra + Politoed is self explanatory of course and work together well with Mega Heracross to round the core off.

The other one added was Mega Lopunny + Terrakion by Team Pokepals, an effective fighting spam core aiming to break down shared checks and counters for one another. There were a lot of good cores to go through, and we tried to select the ones we felt were the most impactful, effective, and relevant, all while considering current gaps in the archive. Thanks for the continued contributions, keep them coming everyone!

Last edited:
Keldeo + Reuniclus

Basically, Keldeo destroys the steels and darks that give Reuniclus trouble (including Tyranitar, Mega Scizor, Skarmory, Mega Sableye, Bisharp, Weavile + more I don't feel like listing), paving the way for Reuniclus to win late game. In return, Reuniclus beats Amoongy, Mega Venusaur, Slowbro, Clefable (barring Twave hax of course), Tangrowth, Mega Manectric + also more that I don't feel like posting. With this core, I usually run RestTalk Keldeo and Shadow Ball Reuniclus, but you can use Specs/Keldeo and Focus Blast Reuniclus if the team prefers those sets more. Heatran is a cool partner for this core, checking Latis decently and Jirachi while spamming Stealth Rock and Toxic to wear down the opposing team and stuffz.
Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers / Life Orb / oddball stuff like Splash Plate or Rocky Helmet if that's your thing
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Mega Medicham + Clefable

Yes, it's another core with a fat blob. Mega Medicham is a savage, killing anything that isn't a bulky resist to Fighting with HJK, and its nice coverage with the Elemental Punches eliminates potential Checks, namely Slowbro (ThunderPunch) and LandoT (Ice Punch). There a few things that wall Mega Medicham, though, like Mega Sableye, Slowbro if lacking ThunderPunch, and other fat monsters. CM MG Clef is able to check those threats (and spread cancer Thunder Wave in the process), abusing its great Fairy tryping and great movepool to great effect. In return, Medicham obliterates steels like Heatran and Poisons like Amoongy. Usually with this core, I use ThunderPunch so Cm Slowbro doesn't get outta hand, but use the coverage moves your team prefers more. Taunt Mew (although not the most common threat) is a pain, so dark types, like Weavile work with this core.
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick (if real, use sub reversal)
- Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch / Bullet Punch / Zen Headbutt

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD (this thing has a few more spreads but this is standard so its fine here)
Calm Nature (can use bold or w/e you prefer)
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave (best move in the game atm)

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

So since this is a pretty standard and basic VolTurn core, I won't make a drawn out explanation. Rotom and Mega Scizor hold very good defensive synergy together as Scizor can threaten a host of Rotom's checks such as Latios, Clefable, Mega Gardevoir through it's sheer bulk and threat of being hit by it's STAB, while Rotom-W covers Mega Scizor's sole weakness of Fire and through Will-O-Wisp it eases the pressure it faces when setting up in front of more powerful foes.

Serperior runs through this core like no tomorrow, so something like Heatran or Tornadus would be plausible. Mega Charizard and Keldeo are both huge threats too so Latios would be a nice partner to check Keldeo and Mega Zard Y, while Landorus-T or maybe Azumarill would be nice partners to check Zard X.

Last edited:
Fair warning, this core might very well be garbage but it performs well in the 1500's or so (will post replays later) and uses some underused mons, so have fun.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Rest/Stealth Rock
- Sleep Talk/Toxic/Avalanche

Goodra @ Expert Belt/Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave/Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast/Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast/Muddy Water/Earthquake

Mega Swampert's a really cool mon, and much like Mega Garchomp, it's got some fantastic bulk on both the physical and special side. It's also got one of the best defensive typings in the game, with only one (albeit quad) weakness in grass, which isn't a very common offensive type at all (the main users being HP Grass Volcanion, Serperior, Amoongus, Power Whip Ferrothorn, Energy Ball TG Manaphy, Mega Venusaur, Solarbeam Charizard Y, and Tangrowth). Hence the pairing with Sap Sipper Goodra, which is a special tank that can take damn near any special move and hit back hard with insane coverage and decent special attack.

I'm running a PhysDef set on Swampert because this lets you abuse your great typing and wreck many common physical attackers while synergizing well with the physically frail Goodra. Common things that threaten Goodra like Bisharp, Weavile, Mamoswine, Terrakion, Tyranitar, Azumarill, Charizard X, and so on are dumpstered (or at least hard checked) by PhysDef Mega Swampert. Access to Scald is great (base 95 SpA uninvested is not too terrible actually, and lets you beat non-Max HP/Max SpDef Talonflame) and lets you nail TankChomp and Lando-T thinking that they'll just switch in for free on you and get chip damage (since you normally carry Waterfall), and your EQ hits HARD even with 0 investment. Scald/EQ are basically mandatory, and Rest Talk gives you pseudo-reliable recovery while letting you sponge status and also ignore Rotom-W which is great. You can run Toxic to nail switchins like Serperior or Chansey or stuff, Avalanche to nail the Lati twins, Dragonite, and Garchomp/Lando-T (although generally not worth losing the semi-reliable recovery) and Rocks if you have no other rockers, but I've found RestTalk to be the best option. EVs are just max-max, since that seems to be the most effective, and you still retain enough special bulk due to your nice base HP to survive most non-super effective attacks at least once.

252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 157-187 (38.8 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Mega Swampert Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 248-294 (68.6 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 224-265 (55.4 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 306-362 (112.9 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 133-157 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 217-256 (77.2 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 172-203 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 336-396 (104 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 148-175 (36.6 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 284-336 (77.5 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 115-136 (28.4 - 33.6%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 278-330 (93.6 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 157-186 (38.8 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Mega Swampert Scald vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 200-236 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 160-190 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 186-219 (48.4 - 57%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Swampert: 114-135 (28.2 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
Rest-Talk stall this for days.

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Swampert: 91-108 (22.5 - 26.7%) -- 23.2% chance to 4HKO
EQ is sadly a 3HKO back.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Swampert: 253-300 (62.6 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 114-136 (28.2 - 33.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
YUM (okay unless you're running Toxic/Avalanche you do almost nothing back but yea)

252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Swampert: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 264-312 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Don't recommend this but yea.

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Swampert: 183-216 (45.2 - 53.4%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 171-202 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO
Scarf Kyurem does nothing.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Swampert: 62-74 (15.3 - 18.3%) -- possible 6HKO
-1 0 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 246-290 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
Truly a nightmare for Electric types everywhere.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Swampert: 702-832 (173.7 - 205.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
awwwwww

Goodra is a fat special tank that pairs well with Mega Swampert because Goodra has Sap Sipper, making it immune to Grass moves (the +Atk only is relevant if you're running Power Whip (lol) or Earthquake). Running Specs/Expert Belt on Goodra is preference: do you want to nuke things like SpDef Skarm in one hit and ensure you win the 1v1 with CM Clefable, or do you want to retain the ability to bait things with your stupid-good movepool and nail switchins with hard-hitting coverage? Your call.

Either way, the set EVs are max Spa (and Modest since you need all the power you can get) while giving you enough speed to outspeed Azumarill to nail it with Sludge Wave (Specs OHKOs after SR, while EB needs some chip damage), and the remainder dumped into HP to maximize bulk.

The most important calculation:
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Goodra: 117-140 (32.5 - 38.8%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Goodra Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 293-346 (100.6 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Goodra Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Amoonguss: 269-317 (62.2 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Goodra: 60-72 (16.6 - 20%) -- possible 5HKO

0 Atk Tangrowth Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 94-111 (26.1 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Goodra: 109-129 (30.2 - 35.8%) -- 33.5% chance to 3HKO
(even with Specs though you don't win the 1v1, watch out)

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Goodra in Sun: 110-130 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- 52% chance to 3HKO

So yea. Try it out?

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Roar
- Scald

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
I am posting this on behalf of a certain someone who wants to avoid being referenced :pirate:

There is only one core with Cune in the archive, so here is another one. Cune is an underrated yet potent threat primarily used on balanced builds, which often make use of entry hazards to wear down the opposing team and pave the way for a win condition to ultimately clean up. Skarm provides this in the form of Spikes, which helps to wear down several of Cune's checks (especially when burned by Scald). Among these include Pokemon like Mega Venu and Ferro, both of which Skarm can take advantage of to lay down hazards. Grounded Electric-types like Mega Manec are also worn down by Spikes, which Cune appreciates in the long run. In addition to this all, Skarm assists Cune by checking a few Pokemon capable of putting it low on health prior to boosts or while sleeping, such as Mega Gardevoir and SD Exca.

Both core members can abuse the presence of Spikes through Whirlwind and Roar respectively, shuffling the opposing team around to rack up hazards damage and force away any troublesome boosters when the need arises. In addition to this, Cune also helps by checking Pokemon like Tran and Talon for the core. Taking Scald's aimed towards Skarm is also nice considering Cune's ability to CM up on things like Slowbro and Slowking and Roar them away after a few boosts.

As far as weaknesses go, Electric-types likes Thund-I, Mega Manec, and Zone are obviously an issue. Sheer offensive pressure from Pokemon like Mega Cham and Zard-Y also pose problems. Classic balanced staples like Mega Latias, Mega Sableye, Clefable, Tar, and Hippo can be used to help with these drawbacks, all while providing the core with plenty else. The core is solid overall and flexible in terms of the Pokemon you can use to cover troublesome threats with, making it a fun and effective choice to build around when toying around with balanced.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)