Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

crawdaunt is a really offensive mon so a defensive sponge like amogus goes well with it any its kindof a simple concept , amoogus check / counter lot of mons that can cause it problems for example keldeo lopunny rotom etc. and so you dont suffer quite as much when giving them switch ins also amoogus provides a nice pivot which is extremely beatifically since it help craw get in and out of battle . Also crawdaunt threatens lot of the mons that amoogus does not like for example heatran , theres little to non mons that can switch in to crawdaunt that don't have a hard time dealing with amoogus , scizor can cause a few problem but he not really looking to switch in on a crabhammer and is out speeded if it running the standard bulky set this core goes well with fast offensive mons like Mega lop or LO torn-t because of it lack of speed and because they would benefit from the wall breaking power from crawdaunt.

Last edited:
maybe Diggersby + Electric-type could be a potential core (Idk you can tweak). I just want to see a Diggersby core of some sort (unless I missed one, then I'm sorry)

explanation: Diggersby is a really strong wallbreaker that will commonly be using LO or Band. It can break a lot of things, but has difficult breaking things like Skarmory, Scizor and both Slowbro forms. An electric type can easily be paired with it to break past these mons. Manectric can beat offense while being able to Volt-Turn on things like Clefable and Band Tar to bring in Diggersby. Magnezone can outright trap Skarmory and Scizor (Slow) and beat Slowbro with it's Specs Thunderbolts. The core can function with a Band Diggersby that's main goal is to wallbreak with the support of an Electric-type or a LO Diggersby which it's main goal is to sweep after it's checks and counters are weakened. Manectric likes Diggersby's ability to heavily damage things like Clefable. Sets can be interchangeable (Diggersby can run Band or LO with more coverage) (Magnezone can be Specs or Scarf or even Magneton)

or

Diggersby (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Manectric-Mega (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tell me if the core is bad or if anything needs to be changed.

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance
- Spore
This is a pretty classic core that's good on a ton of offenses. I was surprised not to find it in the archive already. Azumarill + Breloom is solid against most Ground- and Steel-types and is able to beat up on a large number of common defensive cores. In general, the core works on wearing down similar checks, namely bulky Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur, until one Pokemon is able to sweep. I have Jolly BD Azu as the listed variant for this core just because I'm personally a big fan of Jolly BD Azumarill, and I think it works really nicely to lure and weaken Mega Venusaur, which can really pave the way for Breloom in the lategame. BD Azu is also nice on this core because it means Breloom doesn't have to spend time dancing up vs Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, as Azumarill can usually lure and deal with that. One of the best things about this core is the fact that its a hard hitting offensive core that is solid vs sand archetypes as well as most all team styles in general. Azumarill is usually bulky enough to trade at least one for one vs offense and balance, with BD being a particularly big threat vs more defensive teams. Breloom's access to Spore combined with Mach Punch can make it a hard Pokemon for offenses to deal with, SD + Spore making it just as big of a threat vs more defensive teams too.

The sets listed are far from set in stone. One of the best things about this core is just how many effective iterations there are. Breloom can run SD + Natural Gift [Flying] to lure Grass-types like Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss for Azumarill. Focus Punch > SD to hit Ferrothorn and Latios is a viable option too. Azumarill could run a more standardised Adamant BD variant, or even Choice Band if one so chooses.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Roost
I know Skarmory + Tyranitar is already in the archive, so I'm not sure if this counts. However, you can really deny that Garchomp is an integral part to many of the SpD Skarmory hazard stacking cores, some even forgoing Tyranitar altogether. So I believe this works as a standalone core.

In short, this is a basic hazard stacking core utilising Garchomp (or sometimes Hippowdon) as the bulky Ground instead of Landorus. As such, the core lacks a solid answer to powerful Ground types. Skarmory patches up the core vs stuff like Landorus and Excadrill whilst also getting Spikes, and also having the ability to phase. Skarmory checks common Dragon- and Fairy-types for Garchomp, whilst in return Garchomp brings an Electric immunity that is also able to deal with some threats to Skarmory such as Offensive Mega Scizor, Bisharp, Breloom, Talonflame and Heatran. Dual phasing a dual hazards can often be tough to play around, and for the most part makes up for the otherwise innate passivity that this core would otherwise likely suffer from.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock / Spikes

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power / Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt
Again, like the last core, there's already a Ferrothorn + Heatran + Jellicent core in the archive but considering that Jellicent is really a niche Pokemon at best I think FerroTran's viability as a standalone core can be emphasised or even slashed alongside the original core. This core also comprises of updated and currently popular sets such as fast utility Heatran.

Not a ton that needs to be said about a classic defensive core like this. Steel is one of the best defensive typings in the game, with Ferrothorn and Heatran in particular possessing impressive synergy for two Pokemon that share a typing. Heatran adequately covers Ferrothorn's 4x Fire Weakness, and in return Ferrothorn provides a Water resist and a decent check to most Ground-types. Obviously, as always, the sets are customisable with FerroTran having the capacity to be an effective hazard stacking core if Heatran is able to drop Earth Power or a utility move in place of Stealth Rock. Ferrothorn can run Chople Berry over Leftovers to give the team a better time vs common Focus Blasting Pokemon such as Mega Gardevoir and Alakazam as well as a one time check to the likes of Keldeo and Superpower Azumarill.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock / Fire Fang

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
Double Ground has been a mainstay for many balanced and offensive archetypes for a little while now and I think is definitely deserving of a place in the archive. Landorus-T and Garchomp can tailor their sets to fill a variety of roles, so the listed sets here are basically just placeholders since Garchomp could be; Tank, Endure + SD, Lum Berry, whilst Landorus-T could be; Offensive Swords Dance, Defensive, Offensive Stealth Rock, Double Dance etc etc.

The basic premise of this core is that of an offensive typespam core that also happens to simultaneously comprise a surprisingly solid backbone for many balance teams since both Pokemon possess positive defensive traits such as Intimidate, as well as Ground, and Electric immunities. Generally, Swords Dance Garchomp is used first to soften up fatter defensive Pokemon so that Landorus has an easier time U-Turning around and cleaning up in the lategame. However, this can also work in the reverse with Landorus being able to lure and U-Turn on many common defensive Pokemon, which can bring Garchomp in safely to wreak havoc. Both Pokemon have utility which is showcased no matter how the core is played, and the fact that an offensive core such as this is able to fit a; Stealth Rocker, breaker, Scarfer, two Electric checks, and a Ground immunity all in two slots is a testament to just how versatile both Pokemon really are.

So this core is all about overwhelming each others checks such as lati venusaur etc,
so sub cm raikou is very under rated in my opinion as it can put in a lot of work under the right circumstances
keldeo helps support raikou by crippling each others checks with scald or icy wind so one of them can prevail.
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Substitute

a good addition to this core is something that can weaken down Hippodown as it outright walls Raikou.
Pursuit support is also very helpful for taking out lati.

Last edited:
Had two cores I've been meaning to post so why not add 'em

Offensive Core: Mega-Lopunny + Diggersby

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch / Power-Up Punch / Quick Attack / Toxic

Diggersby (M) @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Quick Attack

===OR===

Diggersby (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Description:

Very simple core that revolves around offensive redundancy. These two target stuff like Lando-T, Rotom-W, fat Garchomp, etc. in hopes of breaking them down for each other which will ideally open up huge opportunities later on. You also get standard breaker (Diggersby) + cleaner (Lop) synergy here which is phenomenal, as they can cover each others innate weaknesses to speed and fat things respectively. Not much else to say; double bunny offense is pretty simple.

Some weaknesses include the obvious fat grounds (Lando, Chomp, Hippo, Gliscor) and fat waters (Slowbro, Suicune, Rotom-W), along with a general weakness to strong priority users like Breloom, Scizor, Talonflame, and Azumarill. Good teammates would include the likes of Rotom-W to patch up the bulky grounds weakness along with dealing with slower Scizor, Talonflame, and slow Azu, Latios/Tornadus-T to help deal with Breloom, and something that can adequately deal with Mega-Slowbro, as it's a huge roadblock to these two (hence why Toxic is listed as a fourth-slot option for Lop).

Offensive Core: Weavile + Talonflame

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance / Low Kick / Poison Jab / Pursuit

Talonflame (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Description:

This core has more basic match-up synergy in mind compared to Diggers + Lop, meaning that they aim to cover other ends of the meta as opposing to overlapping to break down checks. Everyone knows Talon absolutely loathes fat grounds as well as things like Slowbro, which Weavile can generally scare out (Slowbro being a bit more difficult to scare, but SD Weav does a fantastic job threatening it). Pulling a double switch into Weav in scenarios where a Talon check is coming in can grant you crucial wallbreaking/set-up opportunities with Weavile, which is absolutely fantastic for a 'mon that generally struggles to come in. On the flip side, Weavile attracts 'mons that Talonflame can take advantage of well, such as the omnipresent Clefable, fighting types like Mega-Lopunny and Keldeo, and steels like Mega-Scizor. All in all, they cover each other's checks nicely which provides a solid foundation for a more offensive build that thrives off of maintaining momentum and pressure.

Good partners would include Latios to cover Keld, which will switch into Weavile and proceed to obliterate your team should you not have a solid switchin. Surf/Defog Latios in particular works well, as it can weaken Heatran and Tyranitar for Talon while removing troublesome hazards for the core. Azumarill is also a huge threat to the duo as well, so something either capable of solidly revenge killing it like an electric or something that can stomach hits from it (Amoonguss, Venusaur, Volcanion) makes for a solid addition.

Last edited:
ethanlol: I like the diggersby + mmanec! But not mmanec + magnezone because I can't see them really help each other unless the magnezone would be like hp grass but seismitoad or gastrodon are not too common at the end of the day, and even then i don't know if it would be too worthy making zone hp grass.

But i definitely like the mmanec to volt switch and bring safely diggersby on too passive fat mons like lets say clefable or chansey :)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Manec + mag would be better for something like air balloon magnet rise mag to trap exca, which is normally the big issue for these two under sand. Think hp grass is a bit too situational on either of them though agree with most of the points mentioned above.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I mean, there is a big "or" between the two sprites so unless I'm missing something I don't think that he was advocating for Manec+Mag alongside Diggs so much as he was for Diggs+Electric (which is actually a pretty effective combination).

Ofensive Core: Mega lopunny + Latias
+

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Return

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover/Defog/thunderbolt
- Healing Wish

When I was making a core the core builder competition I used this then and I went here to get so idea for the description and then to my shock this core wasn't here , but any way on to the core . The basic idea of the core is that latias can healing wish Mega Lopunny if it get low or paralysed or burned but the core also work for other reason as Mega lopunny provides a good offensive check for many thing latias struggles with for example heatrtan , ferrothorn and tyranitar it can also help defensively for example coming in on gengar shadow ball but that rather risky. Also one last thing is that latas can help Mega lopunny with common revenge killers like scarf terrackion and scarf keldeo since it resist fighting

Latias third slot: you can run thunder bolt if you weak against things like azu recover if you have no other stop the keldeo and defog if you are weak to hazard and dont have other forms of hazard removal.

The core is weak to clefable so mon like heatran and ferrothorn go nice with it.

p2

Banned deucer.

true and tried offensive core with mega scizor and double genies. some of the biggest threats to the genies are ice types, mostly ones with priority such as weavile and mamoswine and the oddball scarf kyu-b, all of which mega sciz is a perfect answer to. scizor covers their biggest weaknesses while being able to generate momentum off of water type switchins or stuff like heatran, which puts thundy or lando in a good position to deal with what comes in. there have been variants of this core ever since last wcop, which one of tdk's builds featured this core but with lopunny used over scizor because it still functioned as a solid offensive check to weavile. more or less proof that this is one of the more consistent cores when it comes to building with sciz or genies because it still remains very effective until this day.

i went through like 30 wcop replays and i can't find any other games of this being utilized outside of my own which is quite surprising
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-170975

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Focus Blast

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- U-turn

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash / Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

Slowking @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Trick Room

I actually used a different set for Slowking catered to my team but feel like the sets more team dependent anyways more than the focus of the concept. Mamoswine is known for being slow against offense which can hinder its matchup against the numerous offensive threats in the tier. OTR Slowking remedies that and gives Slowking a more offensive feel. Replay to kind of show what it does, at least the idea of it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-399427197

Last edited:

Offensive Core: Mega Scizor + Latios + Azumarill

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Surf / Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Superpower

This is an offensive core I personally devised (although i'm sure similar versions have been used) that takes huge advantage of the MANY choice-locked trappers running around the meta. The idea behind it is that Band/Scarf T-tar and Band Weavile are as popular as ever, and they have (especially T-tar) a pretty easy time in pursuit trapping Latios. On the other hand, the very standard Scarf Magnezone is also pretty common and can really annoying Scizor, but this core takes the advantage of that. Whether Banded Weavile or Banded T-tar, they will both lock themselves in Pursuit to trap Latios; however this core uses that exact moment to gain momentum. Both Mega Scizor and Azumarill can take Banded pursuits with EASE so they switch in right after Latios died. M-Scizor sets up SD on the switch and Azumarill can set up BD, and then if the opponent does not have a solid check to at least one of them, they will lose at least 2 Pokemons. Similarly, when Mega Scizor goes down to Magnezone's HP Fire, Azumarill can use the choice-locked Magnezone to set up a Belly Drum and get a potential sweep.

Mega Scizor and Azumarill also have pretty good synergy because both can take each other's checks. For example Azumarill can weaken heavily weaken Keldeo, Zapdos, and Skarmory which allows Scizor to sweep late game. On the other hand, Mega Scizor weakens the likes of Ferrothorn, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, Tangrowth and even Magnezone which all can potentially take 1 hit from Azumarill.

Defensive Core
Rotom-H + Ferrothorn

A pretty good core that I picked up on a team that did tons of work. This core is not easy to break thorugh and can benefit lots of teams. Rotom-H can cripple threats like Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, Tornadus-T, Ferrothorn, Thunderus, Mega Gardevoir, Jirachi, Mega Pinsir, and Skarmory. Ferrothorn deals with stuff like Mega Diance (without HP fire), Landorus-T, Latios, Rotom-W, Tyranitar, Azumarril, Gyarados, and Quasire which all Rotom-H cannot switch in on. In this set Rotom-H offers thunder wave to slow down fast targets, Snatch to steal stuff like taunt, wish, soft boiled, stealth rock, and spikes to use it for itself. Volt switch gives the upper hand to switch out and give you momentum. Overheat is also a great move to just fire at things like steel types which Ferrothorn's cannot handle and pick up a kill. Ferrothorn set offers Stealth rock to get damage on your opponents each time they try to get the upper hand. Power Whip is a good move to deal with the bulky waters like Rotom-W, Quagsire, And Azumarril which crush Rotom-H in a 1v1. Leftovers isn't a reliable source of recovery so leech seed is a excellent choice for healing while doing damage over time. Protect helps you get lefties and leech seed recovery to survive or just stall out.

For Rotom-H you could also go pain split to get HP back or will-o-wisp to cripple physical attackers. Trick scarf is also another set you could go to cripple tanks like Chansey, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn.
Thunder Wave to help slow down fast targets which benefits your slow team members, Gyro ball for steel coverage and fast opponents, and Spikes if you already have a stealth rocker on your team.

This team is weak to threats like Heatran, Clefable (with Flamethrower), Keldeo, Tyranitar (with Superpower, Fire punch), Charizard X (this core has no real way to hit it except T-wave), Terrakion, Gengar, and Mega Sableye.

Teammates: Keldeo and Azumarril checks stuff like Heatran, Tyranitar, Chansey, Terrakion, Mega Scizor, and Bisharp. Defaint users such as Bisharp or Thunderus are also great as they can switch in of defoggers trying to take away Ferrothorn's hazards and get a attack boost. Thunderus can also run prankster taunt stopping mega sableye, status moves, and hazards in their tracks. Diggersby also benefits from this core as Rotom-H and Ferrothorn can take on most of its weaknesses. It also can put a lot of pressure on your opponent as Diggersby can hit really hard with Huge power. Landorus-T can also be used as a Stealth rocker and checks stuff like Chansey, Heatran, Tyranitar, Terrakion, Gengar, and Charizard X.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Evs: 240 HP / 40 Def / 228 Spe
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Snatch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Update, these cores are being added to the archive:
  • (link) ~ There's currently only one Mega Tar core in the archive, and this one is a classic. Mega Tar activates your essential sand for Exca to function under. As opposed to its regular form, Mega Tar operates a little differently here by taking on the role of a DD sweeper. Together, Mega Tar and Exca are able to break down various similar checks and counters to pave the way for one another to wreck house, examples being Hippo, Lando-T, and Skarm. Simple and effective premise overall.
  • (link) ~ This duo has been around for ages and adds to the lack of Diggers cores in the archive. The idea is to trap Diggers' largest obstacle, Skarm, with Zone. From there, Diggers has an easier time doing its thing. Tried and true core overall.
  • (link) ~ Nice offensive core based on breaking down similar checks and counters for one another. For example, Azu often lures in Pokemon like Amoonguss and Tangrowth to come in. After a BD, they drop to a +6 Knock. With these threats out of the way, Loom has an easier time cleaning house. There's some other interesting perks behind the core. These Pokemon both have two nice priority moves to help versus a variety of threats and playstyles, particularly sand. In addition, both core members can weaken shared revenge killers like Latios with their priority moves after boosting up. This places Latios in range to be killed by either Loom or Azu after. Solid duo overall with a good amount of partners and set variations.
  • (link) ~ This has been around forever. Chomp + Skarm is a classic balanced core and has been seen on numerous teams before. They both provide hazards and help one another deal with various threats. For example, Chomp helps Skarm with Tran and a few offensive threats capable of overwhelming the bird, namely Bisharp and Mega Sciz. In exchange, Skarm can check various Fairy types (Mega Diancie, for example). It's also able to help with Exca, which is cool because that's one major area where Chomp is lacking in comparison to Lando-T.
  • (link) ~ I am replacing the existing Ferro + Tran + (Rotom-W/Jelli) core with the one in the link. For starters, it's more appropriate for the metagame we're in, featuring sets like speedy Heatran. Further, the core has numerous partners and bulky Water types to choose from aside from Jelli and Rotom-W. Cores with two Pokemon give you more flexibility to work with overall, and that's usually better to have in our archives. Aside from this, this is a typical and well known FWG core. There's not much else to say without beating a dead horse.
  • (link) ~ Double Ground is a cool choice on offensive builds and has seen use plenty of times. There's a few benefits here: delegating the SR role to one of these Ground types allows the other to run something else. In this case, Chomp is running SR, allowing Lando-T to rep a Scarf to function as a revenge killer and catch all check to offensive Electric types. The really cool thing with this core, though, is how the sets can be modified based on your team. For example, both can run SD to form an offensive core based around breaking down similar checks and counters. These two Pokemon can run numerous sets and the sheer flexibility behind them gives you many options when team building.
  • (link) ~ Simple double bunny core based around breaking down similar checks and counters. These two can overwhelm things like Hippo, Lando-T, and so on, for one another. Diggersby functions as more of a wall breaker capable of softening up a team for Mega Lop, who uses its good speed and power to clean up the mess.

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Hey so i noticed there were only a couple suicune cored in the archive despite it being such a solid mon, so I thought i'd post one i like ^_^

Defensive Core: Mega Latias + Suicune

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock / Stored Power
- Surf / Thunderbolt

Suicune @ Leftovers
Abiltiy: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Rest

These two have some pretty cool defensive synergy together. Mega Latias is a great mon, checking a biiig chunk of the metagame all on its own thanks to its great bulk and amazing pool of valuable resistances. However, Mega Latias has some problems with mons like Bisharp, Weavile, Scizor, and Mega Charizard X. Suicune patches up a lot of these weaknesses thanks to its gargantuan bulk and the ability to phaze all of these pokemon if they begin to boost with Swords Dance or Dragon Dance. In exchange Mega Latias can provide suicune with an electric check and breloom check as well as a check to tons of other things that can potentially halt a Suicune sweep. Overall this is just a really solid double CM core where both partners set up on each other's checks and counters making it very effective overall. You can optionally run standard Reflect Type Mega Latias here too if that floats your boat. This core struggles with offensive Fairy-types like Mega Diancie and Mega Gardevoir (even Clefable to an extent) so pokemon like Occa Berry Ferrothorn, Heatran, specially defensive Skarmory, and specially defensive Jirachi can make for great partners.

Posting some cores here.

+

Balance core: Mega Blastoise + Jirachi
Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect

Blastoise isn't usually a good choice in OU since it's mostly outclassed by Starmie but Mega Blastoise's lack of psychic type may help since you don't stack weaknesses with other Psychics, this one being Jirachi, not being weak to Pursuit and checking the likes of Weavile and Bisharp instead of losing to them, something that Jirachi appreciates. Mega Blastoise can wallbreak, deal with some other Jirachi checks such as Heatran, Landorus-T and Hippowdon and Jirachi passes wishes to it to compensate for its lack of recovery and also checks special attackers in return.

+

Offensive core: Nidoking + Mega Scizor
Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 240 HP / 140 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance/Pursuit

Nidoking is a powerful wallbreaker in OU and one of the best partners to it is Mega Scizor as Nidoking appreciates voltturn support, Mega Scizor can switch directly against some pokemon that threaten it, such as Lati@s and use U-turn or Pursuit against them to help Nidoking but Swords Dance may be used instead of Pursuit so it can act as a boosting win condition late game but Pursuit is useful since it can remove Latios from play or atleast weaken it so it can't take Sludge Wave anymore, easing prediction as you don't need to predict it and use Ice Beam. A common switch-in to this Scizor set is Heatran so it can U-turn against it on the switch and bring in Nidoking to defeat it, being able to wallbreak there and Nidoking's coverage moves help with some Scizor checks like Tankchomp and Skarmory.

+

Offensive core: Gyarados + Solar Beam Heatran
Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute

or

Gyarados @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Rest

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Solar Beam

Simple core, Gyarados is a threatening sweeper as it's hard to stop after a Dragon Dance and it sometimes can use more than one but Rotom-Wash is very common and completely walls non-mega Gyarados, Heatran helps Gyarados win the game since it uses Magma Storm to trap Rotom-W and then eliminates it with Solar Beam. Also, Heatran deals with Ferrothorn and Skarmory, two pokemon that check Gyarados and Gyara can set up on pokemon such as Hippowdon, that deal with Heatran.

Balanced Core
Ferrothorn + Keldeo
+

Ferrothorn and Keldeo are a good core that work together stopping a lot of the OU threats. Ferrothorn doesn't like going up against things like Heatran, Magnezone, Mega Scizor, Sableye, Mega Lopunny, Azumarill, DD Mega Altaria and Landorus-T. Scarf Keldeo is a excellent counter to all these threats that Ferrothorn cannot handle. A pony by it self cannot face all OU threats unfortunately so Ferrothorn is a good sidekick to counter the psychic, water, fairy, electric, and Poison types that love to come at Keldeo. Good partner include scarf Ttar as it counters Latios and Latias. Heatran to come in on Talonflame, Fire Punch Jirachi, HP Fire Serperior, and Etc. It also offers stealth rocks which the extra damage can help Keldeo KO things. Clefable is also a great fairy to handle annoying Sabeleye, Weaviile, Tyranitar, other Keldeos, Dragonite, and Mega Medicham.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock/spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
K so I've been using Scolipass to p. good success recently (not Lansat pass tho; it's not very good as it doesn't lend itself to multple passes per game, discourages subbing twice in a row before you're ready to activate your Lansat Berry, worsen's Scolipede's issues with Stealth Rock, limits teammates and is more gimmicky on the whole) so I thought I'd post some of the Scolipede cores which are working out well for me. It's mainly just a bit of a fun strategy in general and it has it's fair share of flaws, but it's p. ok to the point where I think a ScoliPass core or two deserve to get at least a mention in this thread even if they don't get into the archive.

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 HP / 244 Def / 28 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Megahorn

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 196 HP / 136 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

See description for a handful of alternative Heracross benchmarks.
Mega Heracross at +2 or +3 speed is scary. Between it's good bulk, sky-high attack and ability to set up on a lot of common Pokémon including Lando-T, Bisharp, Weavile and a buttload of defensive 'mons, patching up it's otherwise-mediocre speed tier lends itself immensely to tearing the tier to shreds. The core shares a number of weaknesses due to it's typing, but you generally save this pass for when Scoli is behind a sub if one of these Pokémon comes in on you as you sub down because barring something like Talonflame if you get a sub up as they come in they are likely to break it as you pass (it's good to get off one last Protect before you do to ensure at least +2 or maybe +3--don't get greedy with speed boosts), and if they try and take you on with Lando-T (easy to force by overwhelming the rest of the team with attackers early-game--especially when backed up by Scolipede) then great; free SDs with Heracross are always appreciated.

Scolipede's EVs outpace timid Mega Alakazam at +1, allowing you to nail it with Megahorn or to sub on it if you have something to pass to which is able to handle it more consistently, while maximising Scolipede's physical bulk; the HP investment hits a Black Sludge number. An offensive spread may sound appealing at first, but it loses it's allure when you consider that it can't pass repeatedly with much consistency and Megahorn hits it's primary targets for OHKOs without investment anyway while not being used very much beyond those targets, meaning it's not a big issue. While Pin Missile, X-Scissor, Rock Slide, Earthquake and Poison Jab sound appealing on paper, they lose their allure when you actually run the calcs and realise that they don't quite net the OHKOs that they need to be consistently useful. Specifically, the non-Bug-type coverage misses out on a number of important OHKOs, are extremely weak vs. neutral targets and sacrifice the utility provided by Megahorn's ability to OHKO common Defog/Rapid Spin users and Mega Alakazam consistently, whereas the other Bug-type options fall flat over them either failing to OHKO Latios (X-Scissor) or being inconsistent at netting the KOs Megahorn attains (Pin Missile) while also generally being really lacking in the power department vs. neutral targets.

Mega Heracross' EVs are very customisable in general and should generally focus on unboosted speed targets rather than boosted ones. That said, your choice of target is very dependent on the team structure as well as your personal preferences regarding the balance of power/bulk/speed. The listed EV spread outpaces everything slower than jolly Crawdaunt without any speed boosts while also having a v. good Rock Blast 2HKO roll versus the calm CM+MG Clef spread before an SD. However, there are a number of speed, bulk and powe benchmarks that you can aim for when customising your EVs. I'm not gonna go too deep regarding precise EV spreads 'cause I'd be here all day, but a handful of potential benchmarks to consider include 252+ Atk (almost always 2HKO 252/252+ Unaware Clef witn Rock Blast after SR; this is the only alternative attack benchmark worth using imo), 156 Spe (outpaces anything creeping jolly Tyranitar pre-mega), 140 Spe (creeps anything creeping adamant 70s pre-mega as well as 8 Spe Lando-T post-mega), 100 Spe (outpaces 8 Spe Rotom-W) and 56 Spe (outpaces adamant Azumarill post-mega). Never put the EVs you take out of speed into attack unless you are aiming for max attack because they are wasted there for the most part (it takes way too many EVs for rolls to improve due to how insane Mega Heracross' attack stat is), with HP being the first stat to invest in (Heracross is grounded, so if you ever hit a HP stat divisible by 4 shift 4 EVs into speed for speed creep) and if your remaining EVs make you surpass 248 HP (252 is divisible by 4) start putting them into defense to take advantage of Mega Heracross' typing and good bulk. There are two alternative options that Mega Hearacross can run but I don't recommend because they are better covered by teammates. Bullet Seed prevents Quagsire from walling the shit out of you and potentially getting a Scald Burn, Bullet Seed can be run over Swords Dance, although it loses out on sweeping ability and can't really take advantage of it's good bulk/resistances that well with this. Similarly, you can drop Pin Missile in favor of a Sub+SD set with Fighting/Rock coverage, but losing the coverage sucks ass in general and hurts cleaning ability while also making you more susceptible to priority users if you can't get a Sub up due to the increased reliance on the defense-dropping Close Combat to deal heavy damage to things. You can also drop SD in favor of Sub+3 attacks, but it's mostly redundant alongside Scolipede and generally speaking you're better off using things that you can set up on for SDs as opposed to Subs due to your improved speed tier.

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Megahorn

Manaphy @ Leftovers / Sea Incense / Wacan Berry / Rindo Berry / Lum Berry / whatever
Ability: Hydration
Timid / Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Rain Dance
- Energy Ball / Psychic

As you can see, Manaphy's not that dependent on it's item to the point where a buttload can be run dependent on the needs of the team. Always use Psychic alongside Rain Dance; investment can be taken out of speed if you want on Manaphy due to Scolipede support provided you understand the risks of doing so.
Manaphy is another good recipient for much the same reasons as Mega Heracross. It patches up Manaphy really nicely in particular because while teams (namely offense) are often able to prepare for Manaphy on it's own (due to it's somewhat low speed tier and reliance on setup to really exert much field presence) what a lot of teams aren't prepared for is Manaphy with an enhanced double dance under it's belt, and this is where this core really thrives and what makes it so dangerous.

If you want to know what Scolipede's EVs do/why I chose Megahorn over other attacks and didn't read the Heracross core, open that core's description and skip to the second paragraph as I'm not typing that lot out again. Manaphy is a very customisable Pokémon in general, and with Scolipede support there is a lot that you can do with regards to EVs, item moveset. The listed moveset is literally just the TG+3 Atks and TG+RD sets condensed with HP Fire ommitted, so it shouldn't take a genius to work out what it does. The EV spread is much more customisable than it is normally due to having the luxury of Scolipede support, with you being able to aim for various boosted and unboosted speed benchmarks, but please be aware that while pumping more into HP improves your bulk and ability to check things (which can come in handy if you have Manaphy to help with a certain matchup defensively) the more EVs you take out of speed the more reliant you become on Scolipede to patch up your speed stat. Any investment you take out of speed should be pumped into HP, and the absolute lowest speed investment you should run is 108 modest (outpaces scarfed base 110s and below at +2 so that you beat out Scarf Keldeo without the odd Latios ruining your day). Generally speaking though max speed is the most consistent due to it not being overly reliant on Scolipede, so only go for the bulk if you really need the improved ability to check something.

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Megahorn

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand / Lum Berry / Leftovers / Yache Berry / Passho Berry / whatever
EVs: 8 HP / 176 Atk / 92 Def / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge / Fly (only use Fly alongside Rock Polish or Smack Down if you drop Stone Edge)
- Rock Polish / Knock Off / Fly / Smack Down

Much like Manaphy, Lando-T isn't that dependent on it's item so there are a lot of viable options depending on the needs of the team. Lando-T EVs are as customisable as ever.
This is the last core I'll post for now. This one is a simple really. Lando-T is powerful and checks a lot of threatening Pokémon--making it a really nice option for these types of builds in general. Fast boosters are generally really good partners, which is why Swords Dance is opted for rather than that weird Bulk Up set.

Rock Polish is nice because it means that it can boost speed without being dependent on Scolipede, and it is something I use a lot in battles for this precise reason. If you aren't worried about being overly Scolipede-dependent, however, Knock Off, Fly and Gravity make for good substitutes. The former provides utility when setup isn't practical while also providing a 100% accurate way to hit Lati@s and Gengar and co. Fly is a move which I've experemented with a lot lately and am really liking; it provides an accurate move that can hit un-grounded Pokémon for heavy damage while also nailing Tangrowth for heavy damage, OHKOing PhysDef from full health at +2. It hits harder than Stone Edge versus neutral targets at the cost of OHKOing max HP Talonflame before a boost as well as leaving you completely walled by Skarmory, although there isn't too much dropped coverage off beyond this off of the top of my head. It isn't dependent on Power Herb because a lot of it's switch-ins get nailed by Earthquake anyway. Smack Down is an interesting option here for its's ability to allow Lando-T to break through Skarmory who try to come in on it, and it is nice alongside Fly in particular as such variants lack any other way to hit Skarmory hard.

If you want to know Scolipede's specifics look at the second paragraph of the Heracross core's description as I ain't typing it again. Lando-T's EVs can be customised to the needs of the team, although I usually just steal spreads because I'm not very good at coming up with EVs for things like Lando-T. I usually gravitate towards the listed one or max/max though, but if you want more bulk then go ahead and come up with your own EV spread.

If you want me to simplify any sets (in particular Lando-T, which is currently a bit of an experimentation dump) just say so and I'll do it. This is kinda doubling up as a post I'm using to dump some stuff that I've been messing around with, but if you think anything is too convoluted for this type of resource I'm happy to spend time fixing it.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Offensive Core

Crawdaunt is a really underrated wallbreaker that can break apart bulkier teams really easily while also having some offensive utility in it's Adaptability-boosted Aqua Jet, which allows it to force out Sand Rush Excadrill and Mega Diancie. However, it's extreme frailty makes Crawdaunt usually want some sort of bulky Pokemon alongside it to sponge hits that it cannot take. Mega Scizor is a particularly good partner for Crawdaunt, as it has a slow U-Turn to bring Crawdaunt in safely, and can check a lot of Pokemon that threaten Crawdaunt, such as non-HP Fire Latios, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Gardevoir. It also pressures Mega Altaria, which is arguably the best Crawdaunt switch-in out there, which is a really nice perk. It also helps wear down mutual checks such as Keldeo through repeated U-Turns and attacks from Crawdaunt. You can also use Swords Dance on Mega Scizor to add a win condition that capitalizes on Crawdaunt's wallbreaking prowess, although Pursuit is a decent option on Mega Scizor to help trap frail Psychic- and Ghost-types, especially the Lati's, which can threaten Crawdaunt. Partners for this core include Fire checks such as Suicune and Heatran, as Crawdaunt cannot take on Fire-types well due to it's frailty, and Talonflame can take down both members of the core due to Gale Wings Brave Bird outpacing Aqua Jet. Checks to Water-types such as Rotom-Wash and Keldeo, which can take both members of the core, such as Amoonguss and Latios, are also useful. Latios in particular has Defog to clear hazards that can wear down Crawdaunt and Mega Scizor. Overall, this is a pretty decent bulky offensive cores that utilizes Crawdaunt, a Pokemon that has no core listed in the archive so far.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance / Superpower (Run Superpower if running CB, SD if LO)

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance / Pursuit
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Martin

I just looked down the archive and apparently this isn't there. I thought it was already there and it's kind of common-ish with regards to the types of teams that Dugtrio is sometimes found on so I'm gonna post it.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Dugtrio @ Custap Berry / Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Endure / Stealth Rock
- Stealth Rock / Memento / Stone Edge / Substitute / Toxic / whatever (fourth moveslot is usually filler anyway)
Pretty simple concept really; Magnezone often tries to trap Skarmory and Volt Switch on it; Skarmory escapes using it's Shed Shell, Dugtrio is immune to Volt Switch, traps Magnezone and OHKOs back with Earthquake. If Magnezone is choice-locked rather than carrying a resist berry, Dugtrio can potentially even use it for Stealth Rock/Substitute fodder depending on the moveset choice. If the team appreciates it, Choice Band Dugtrio and/or physically defensive Skarmory can also be used. Be careful of Knock Off from Pokémon like Landorus-T and Mamoswine.

Last edited:
+

Balance/Offensive core
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Ok this is a really common core that I'm surprised isnt already on the archive since it so good . So basically lando-t is a really good defensive wall and the thing that give it the most trouble in OU are Mega scizor Weavile and Bisharp and keldeo deal with all of them pretty well , also keldeo appreciates the U-turn support that is given too it by Lando-t also lando-t wall many of the pokemon that try to revenge kill keldeo like talon flame.

Hydreigon and Azumarill is a great combo I stumbled upon. Azumarill is a natural switch into faster Dragon, Fighting, Ice and Bug attacks like Latios, Keldeo, Lopunny, etc. Likewise Hydreigon handles Electric and Grass attacks, and Taunt helps against status and set up mon. I enjoy CB Azumarill to attack as quick and hard as possible. Meanwhile bulky SD Scizor is the final piece that brings a Fairy resistance and Poison immunity. Aqua Jet and Bullet Punch help with the lackluster speed of this core, and U-Turn helps with additional pivoting.

Get something that can bring some Healing Wish support with a few hazards and this trio will be quite annoying to dispatch of.

Martin

Hydreigon and Azumarill is a great combo I stumbled upon. Azumarill is a natural switch into faster Dragon, Fighting, Ice and Bug attacks like Latios, Keldeo, Lopunny, etc. Likewise Hydreigon handles Electric and Grass attacks, and Taunt helps against status and set up mon. I enjoy CB Azumarill to attack as quick and hard as possible. Meanwhile bulky SD Scizor is the final piece that brings a Fairy resistance and Poison immunity. Aqua Jet and Bullet Punch help with the lackluster speed of this core, and U-Turn helps with additional pivoting.

Get something that can bring some Healing Wish support with a few hazards and this trio will be quite annoying to dispatch of.
Where are the sets?

Anyway, I looked through the archive again 'cause the updating of the FerroTran core reminded me that that may have been the only Jellicent core in the archive. Considering that Ferrothorn is argubly its best partner (there are a couple of other good ones too but for now I'll just do that one) I thought I'd put a slightly more up-to-date version of Ferro+Jelli up than the one which was in my core from however-long ago.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Impish / Relaxed Nature
(IVs: 0 Spe (Gyro Ball only))
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip / Gyro Ball / Iron Head
- Thunder Wave / Power Whip

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 16 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hex
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic / Taunt

Other options that aren't usually worth it: Leftovers>Colbur on Jellicent, Scald>Hex on Jelly; for potential alternative EV spreads look in desc
As I mentioned at the top of the post, Ferrothorn+Jellicent is probably the best Jellicent core in the game. While there are other partners for Jellicent including Amoonguss, Heatran, Tangrowth, literally any Electric-type counter and anything which appreciates Keldeo and Volcanion getting cockblocked, the combination of Spikes and Jellicent's ability to sponge both of Ferrothorn's type weaknesses while blocking Rapid Spin from it's best user (Starmie) consistently, as well as due to Jellicent's typing lending itself to forcing psuedo-50:50s between Bolt/Volt and coverage for Ferro vs. electrics when utilised alongside Ferrothorn due to Thundurus not being safe clicking Focus Blast/Superpower on you like it can vs. other defensive waters barring Slowbro/king and it having the same perk that any other water has of cockblocking Manectric's Overheat/Flamethrower. Beyond this, Ferro is pretty nice for it's ability to deal with Grass-types consistently for Jellicent as well as sponging uboosted physical hits pretty consistently for Jellicent and being able to lay Spikes which Jellicent can proceed to spinblock for. Jellicent is a really nice spinblocker on balance in general as these types of teams generally have a really difficult time stopping bulky Starmie from clearing hazards.

I've basically listed every Ferrothorn variant barring Protect because Protect isn't particularly good nowadays and because Thunder Wave or 2 attacks is just generally better on it in general. Double stat us Jellicent is the best variant of it in general (I almost never forgo Toxic) because Wisp is mandatory and Toxic gives it a way to actually do something while it is busy countering Volcanion, although Taunt works too if you want to stallbreak certain things and prevent recovery/toxic from slower Pokémonand it isn't particularly bad on it anyway. Colbur stops Jellicent being complete Pursuit bait and rather ironically allows it to cripple said Pursuit users with Will-O-Wisp without fearing a potential Crunch/Knock Off. Hex is the chosen attacking move because Scald is mostly redundant alongside Wisp, but it is an option if you run Taunt>Toxic (although Hex is still usually better) so that you can potentially cripple things on switch-in while dealing a little damage in the process. The listed Ferrothorn EVs achieve what the analysis spread says it aims to achieve while netting an extra 4 points in defense, whereas Jellicent's EV spread avoids the 2HKO from Choice Specs Keldeo's HP Electric/Grass before Stealth Rock, allowing it to take a hit with ease and either click Recover until it switches out or pivot out to Ferrothorn to use it for free Spikes, depending on whether Stealth Rock is up or not.

There are a number of alternative EV spreads to consider. In addition to how generally customisable Ferrothorn is with regards to EVing to better check specific Pokémon (I don't do this enough to really list any good ones, but I know from other players that it's pretty customisable to it's team's needs), Jellicent is incredibly customisable on the whole. Max SpD allows it to better counter Modest Volcanion, taking 2 Choice Specs HP Grasses after Stealth Rock with ease, and it also provides near-perfect rolls to avoid Analytic Starmie 2HKOing it before Stealth Rock when it comes in on Thunderbolt (if you take Analytic into consideration, it needs 1 max roll and one which is up to 1 HP lower than a max roll in order to score the 2HKO). Leftovers is probably only even borderline viable with this EV spread because it gives it a p. good chance to avoid the aforementioned Starmie KO after Stealth Rock damage. 144 SpD achieves the Keldeo benchmark after Stealth Rock. Other speed benchmarks can be aimed for, and if you opt to carry Taunt a potential alternative is to run 44 speed to outpace uninvested Alomomola and Taunt it before it can use Wish or Toxic on you. Just be careful of Knock Off potentially consuming your Colbur Berry if they have Tyranitar, Band Weavile etc. in the back. Finally, more physical investment can be run. Just be aware that with more physically defensive spreads it is probably best to run the listed speed investment to allow for as good a matchup vs. Azumarill as possible.

Probably the best partner to this core is Heatran, which is nice for it's good synergy with both Jellicent and Ferrothorn. It's also nice because Scarf Excadrill and Starmie can't spin with impunity if you have Jellicent in the back (insert obligatory stab at Scarf Excadrill here because it is complete garbage). Setup sweepers which appreciate Spikes support make for nice partners, as do things which can act as more consistent Electric-type answers than Ferrothorn can. Other than that, general balance 'mons are nice partners because this is a core which you'd use on balance.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)