Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding Competition - Revived! (21st Round Voting on post #414 - Absorbing Abilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir

Banned deucer.
Interesting team choices overall.

Team 1, Gengar on sand is a great choice, I am not personally a fan of Rocks on Excadrill. I would rather opt for substitute, rock slide, or swords dance. While shifting the rocks to Clefable instead, since the team would get worn down very fast vs bulky ghost + hazards (Jelli / Cofag stack) and put too much pressure on Gengar.

Team 2, This team looks cool at first, but I feel like you could shift around the items a bit to better optimize things, such as Choice Scarf onto Rotom-W, running a defensive bulky Drill, and opting for an AV Tornadus-T, to further improve the Keldeo MU.

Team 4, I really like the idea of a hazards stack core and I see it as a great choice, but I am not sure about having no form of hazard removal on your side of the team is best for the team, in addition, I feel like Keldeo would be a bit of a problem for this, one way to fix it is by running SpD Clefable, as well as swapping out the Landorus-T for either some hazard removal mon such as Zapdos, since it acts as a Tornadus-T switch in and can help with momentum using volt switch.

Team 5, I like the look of this team, you got good synergy overall, but some changes could help the team even more, one thing being the Scizor set shifting it from SD U-Turn to SD Superpower to help deal with some massive threats such as Bisharp, Weavile, and Heatran, the other change I would make is swapping out the Landorus-T for a Clefable as the rocker, it also works as a Weavile switch in, which the team kinda struggles with too, and can provide help with knock off support, you can also add Rocky Helmet to Slowbro to punish Excadrill's spins and maybe replace Ice Beam for Toxic to catch fat waters and grass types, though I am just thinking out loud for possible changes haha.

Finally, my vote goes to team 2.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Team 1 by Bored Pikachu has won this round pretty convincingly! Congratulations, will be added to the hall of fame in a nearby future, and with that we are going for another round, yes sir!

Round 14
/
/
/
/

Technicality?
Following up with another usage based round, we have this... extremely weird group of mons that it is on an unique group on the ORAS tiering spectrum. Some of it because their base form is tiered below OU, some others cause their usage at the time didnt match the ones of their base form, and whats the deal with Raikou?! Anyways, the round for this week consists on building a team with that short selection of mons. Now, Id like more than just Mega Tyranitar builds please, and I wouldnt recommend using Dugtrio, reminder that Arena trap is banned!

This week round will last until April 8th at 11:59 PM GMT -5. Have fun!

Mega Slowbro Balance
:sm/slowbro-mega: :sm/chansey: :sm/clefable: :sm/zapdos: :sm/weavile: :sm/garchomp:
Team : https://pokepast.es/15fba0618d6acc11

I'm pairing chansey with mbro because it forms a pretty solid defensive core, Mbro is acting as a physically defensive wall and Chansey acts as a specially defensive wall. I'm adding clefable as the 2nd partner because it adds utility such as immunity to dragon, resistance to dark, stealth rock, immune to status and thunder wave. Im adding zapdos as 3rd partner because it is able to defog, add ground immunity and can be a pivot with volt switch. I'm adding weavile as the 4th partner because it has good speed control, a good wallbreaker and it is able to pursuit trap which is always a good thing. I'm adding garchomp as the last partner because it is able to provide electric immunity and sub sd is a cool set which can be scary against some teams.

Viable change :
1) Choise scarf garchomp > subsd garchomp. It can be speed control and add a suprise factor. Make sure to use stealth rocks on scarf garchomp because guaranteed rock against hyper offense team is always good.

Last edited:

the team: https://pokepast.es/fba5878bdd3b9fc7

Shuckle: Getting webs up is the main priority hence the Mental Herb. Toxic and Encore can be used to greatly annoy setup sweepers that try to use Shuckle as bait and Infestation is used to OHKO everything (trust)

M-Heracross: What's one thing M-Hera so desperately needs? Speed. What does Sticky Web do? Lower the Target's speed by 1 stage. Problem solved. This thing is bulky enough to take hits anyway and Moxie is the pre-mega ability just so that it can come in and make itself useful by Revenge killing something and augmenting an already bonkers Atk stat

Tornadus-Therian: Just your typical Torn-T AV set to take hits and check all the fighting types. Nice U-turn duo with Raikou as well

Raikou: A setup sweeper that prays on stuff like Skarmory which greatly annoys M-Hera as well as forming a nice VoltTurn core with Torn-T. Enough said

Starmie: Spreading Scald burns like its nothing, utilizing its excellent speed to spread Paralysis to faster opponents like Weavile and such. It also comes with the added benefit of being able to spin away Hazards.

Heatran: This team is pretty weak to Fire so we got Heatran in on this to beat those. So that it isn't booted by ground-type attacks for a while, we give it Air Balloon and make it a bulky utility set with Toxic and Stealth Rock, Taunt for any of those setup sweepers from before as well as those 3 annoying pink blobs

Mega Heracross + Serperior: Substitute abused Bulky Offense
1680645371032.png
1680645399194.png
1680645469362.png
1680645443235.png
1680645501819.png
1680645534585.png

Team: https://pokepast.es/0bf18609a1a73180

First of all, English is not my native language. I hope my description doesn't make you guys confused.
This is also my first time posting on Smogon, I hope to get suggestions for improving my team and post format.
Thanks a lot!

1. Team Overview

When I build an offense team, I usually start with offensive synergy and method of break stall. Therefore, Mega Heracross with its supporters is the main idea of this team. Assistance provided by teammates includes: speed control, lure, free switch in, recover its health and push back its check. I will explain in detail below. Among them, speed control and lure are the most important part.

2. Team Description
1680648175735.png
1680653625003.png

Simple, straightforward but effective. Serperior's glare can help Mega Hera to outspeed many pm like Tornadus, Heatran, Latias and etc. It can help Mega Hera to reverse this kind of check relationship. Furthermore, paralysis can also give Mega Hera a chance to maintain Sub and threaten your opponent's revenge killer.

1680648175735.png
1680653625003.png
1680648479955.png
1680648571396.png
1680648380026.png

Next, we have to improve the team's defensive synergy and the counter of Mega Hera and Serp's check or counter. Excadrill+Clefable+Zapdos is a answer for some pm which can check/counter Mega Hera or Serp. Such as: Clefable, Latios, Tornadus, Metagross, Diancie, Gardevoir and etc.
Except the role in defensive synergy, they can also support Mega Hera and Serp in other way:
Excadrill is the team's spiner and it can use toxic to weaken Landorus which is important for Mega Hera to against it;
Clefable is the team's hazard setter. It can also absorb status and paralysis some pm like Heatran, Charizard-Y;
Zapdos's static give this team another way to paralysis Tornadus. The reason is we can't pin all our hopes on Serp's glare. It can also paralysis some pm like Lopunny and Metagross which can threat Mega Hera and Serp. Since the HP Ice can threat Groud type pm like Garchomp and Landorus, its VS will be easier to succeed and give this bulky team more momentum.
In addition, many of the PMs they attract are ideal chance for Mega Hera and Serp to Substitute. For example: Slowbro(Excadrill), Excadrill(Clefable), Tyranitar(Zapdos) and etc.

1680648175735.png
1680653625003.png
1680648479955.png
1680648571396.png
1680648380026.png
1680648609258.png

At last, I add Scarf Latias in this team. It is a good speed controler and revenge killer for this team. Its good speed and Scarf Trick can help this team to against HO style team and ruin opponent's defensive core(especially for stall). In addition, its Healing Wish can give Mega Hera and Serp more chance to destroy their enemy. This is very important for Mega Hera and Serp who don't have recovery move and always rely Substitute.
Obviously, Tyranitar can easily pursuit Latias. But then, it(or its teammate) will pays for it. Because this is mean your Mega Hera will have a free Substitute. However, you need to make sure your Latias doesn't need do much in this match, otherwise double switch is better option.

3. Other Set Options
1680648175735.png

120HP -> 240HP: I use 252 ATK+Adament for against Mega Altari, but I can understand 240 HP can help Hera to maintain Sub and against HO. So, this based on you. I just want to it tear up any stall teams which in front of it.

1680648380026.png
Volt Switch -> Discharge: Obviously, Hera really appreciat the momentum from VS, but Discharge is also important to help this team against Bulky Talonflame which is really important and it can give your another option to control your opponent's speed.

1680648609258.png

? -> Defog: To be honest, I don't know which move can be used to replace, they are all very useful. However, defog is really useful for against some HO team like Serp veil.

4. Threat List
1680653296003.png
1680653324055.png
1680653369729.png
1680653399010.png
1680653625003.png

As you can see, most of this team's threats are belong to HO team and only Scarf Latias can deal with them.

5. Replays
Sub Hera abused: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ou-1828601836-oye95b0olfi9vevbwvrms20rq5h5t6wpw
Standard: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ou-1829379980-zfcgikt7spxloou2o0ty5ps7v1ylirypw
Serp Sweep: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ou-1829259676-m2atddi3mh7chh5bbz2nv5bckdbvs4bpw
VS Volcarona: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ou-1829144788-vgua5aws5cft1b5g3jub6x5kisw01fepw
VS Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ou-1828671318-yl7gdkyfmhuz011da7tglq5ffi4gs35pw

Thank you for reading, looking forward to your suggestions!

All Tomorrows
(https://pokepast.es/a5bb1aee4da84af4)

I'm gonna be fully honest, this team is mostly a revamp of an old SM team I had that I really liked that was unfortunately really weak to Kyurem-Black. Since Kyurem's a lot worse in ORAS, I felt it would be a good idea to adapt that SM team to ORAS. Latias is a really cool pokemon, that defensively checks a lot of mons that rip through other teams, and it's a really valuable wincon if positioned properly, but it's so weak to status and has moveset problems as is, so refresh is usually off the table. Couple that with a nasty pursuit weakness and it doesn't get used much despite it's talents. Because of this, most games it won't actually sweep, at most killing 1 or 2 pokemon, but it always has the ability to be one of the best defensive stopgaps in the tier and allow you to check mons while your other members force progress. When I was building this team for SM, I just threw on a Tapu Fini as my status absorber for the team and made sure I had a gameplan vs tspikes and was good, but I had to be a lot more conscious about handling status as well as pursuit, since Fini is not in ORAS.

Heatran has been on the rise in ORAS, and it's surprisingly how easily a mon with this many tools was forgotten. It's especially valuable on this team, since it is immune to not one but two forms of status, and it shuts down CM Clefable that can be really annoying for balance. It also appreciates how Latias shuts down SD Gliscor and provides a ground immunity, while it in return actively denies Weavile and spreads burns, which actualize the possibility of a Latias sweep.

*insert meme about Excadrill being on every ORAS team*. Latias gets worn down by rocks sometimes=rapid spinner=excadrill. Heatran has stealth rock & toxic=substitute excadrill.

I wanted a ground resist for offensive excadrill and a blanket check to a lot of attackers like M-Metagross and M-Tyranitar, and Tangrowth's ability to remove leftovers and just constantly be annoying is very much appreciated. It also chips ferrothorn for tons with HP Fire, which is valued since Ferro shuts down M-Latias when at high health.

At this point, I felt really weak to screens, and having Weavile to annoy Serperior and revenge kill Manaphy after some chip was really nice. It also has really good synergy with Heatran, since the switchins Weavile forces (Clefable, M-Scizor, Ferrothorn, etc.) are all Heatran food.

Keldeo isn't as relevant in the current metagame, but it still has its place. The team was basically complete without it, and I wanted an emergency switchin to the likes of Heatran, Weavile, and Volcarona, so Keldeo was added.
Enjoy!

Amir

Banned deucer.
Few things to note on ev spreads; talonflame here is up to drill, checks weavile spamming icicle crash, use the 32 spdef leftover how you want, probably more speed if you're insane, attack or evne more defense, all up to you. I honestly can't remember what the drill does, psure it lives both zone hp fire, diancie ep and weavile crash/knock.
The drill spread is to live Knock Off from CB Weavile after rocks, tanks EQ from Mega Metagross without rocks (sorta irrelevant rn), SpD gives Magnezone a 0.2% chance to 2HKO drill with HP Fire after rocks. The attack is for giving it a 92.6% chance to 2HKO Clefable, the least amount of EVs invested for the best roll per EVs in return.
Sometimes I like to run 32 attack investment instead along with 84 SpD, which changes the Magnezone roll from 0.4 to 2% while ensuring you land an OHKO vs Scarf Rotom-Wash after rocks assuming they already tricked the scarf away.

As for the Talonflame spread, it's an older spread I used to run back in the day, but it allows you to Roost stall Life Orb Bisharp's Knock Off until it gets in range of Acrobatics, as well as the Weavile spread you mentioned.
Also if you're wondering about the SpD, it's not actually useless but it's to live +1 Flamethrower from Volcarona, Timid Gardevoir's Hyper Voice, and Psyshocks after Stealth Rocks.

Hope this helps lol.

Big Jaw Sand
:garchomp-mega::tyranitar::excadrill::slowbro::serperior::talonflame:

This is like my 4th revamp of this team, which was originally built all the way in early 2015. It went through many iterations: Klefki, Gliscor, Amoonguss, Skarmory, etc. Many of the sets have evolved as well, so I'm excited to share this team.

:garchomp-mega: Mega Garchomp's design is fire af so automatically a W. Sand Force + SD = 6-0 stall. After plenty of testing over the years, I have come to the conclusion that Jolly max atk w/ Swords Dance and Fire Blast is the most consistent set. Iron Head and Fire Fang are both decent alternatives, but eh. Outside of sand, Draco Meteor mixed sets can work, but they also feel eh. Jolly > Adamant now more than ever since 303-310 speed is a huge benchmark, and Jolly M-chomp gets to 311. Don't use Naive / Hasty with this set because -SpA Fire Blast is more than enough, and the extra bulk matters often.

:tyranitar: I like Support Tyranitar, but going relaxed or sassy feels way too passive, and I feel like the extra bulk doesn't matter. Either Ttar is 2HKO'd or 10HKO'd, doesn't make a difference if it's 252+ or 180 SpD. And Thunder Wave brazillian Ttar doesn't work anymore thanks to Excadrill. Thus, I've started running Adamant with Superpower, which allows Tyranitar to do a massive chunk to Excadrill and Diancie. It also chunks Volcanion and puts pressure on Clefable. Chople for Zam.

:excadrill: running Adamant for extra breaking power, while maintaining bulk. Non-jolly sand rush drill feels like betraying my principles, but the team has enough speed control and the immediate breaking power goes a long way.

:slowbro: Toxic Slowbro + Substitute Excadrill has been pretty much my go-to when building sand. The basic idea is you bait common sand rush drill counters that like to switch in on Slowbro and Toxic them. Rotom-W & Cofagrigus are the main two examples. When drill comes in, they take rocks, sand, and toxic damage stacking because of substitute.

:serperior: Synthesis in sand is a bit annoying, but in reality the ineteraction rarely happens. I love Synthesis + Glare Serperior as it acts as a great blanket check to a plethora of mons most particularly Mega Diancie. Knock Off because the team lacks one and I never leave the builder without my trusty knock off. Knocking Off rocky helmets, AVs, and lefties goes a long way.

:talonflame: personally think we gonna see slight resurgance of Talonflame. It's a great HO / moth check, and running physically defensive makes it an amazing Weavile switch in if rocks are not on the field. I slapped it on this team for those reasons, plus it forms an FWG core. The EVs are just enough to take less than 50% from Weavile, and rest in SpD. When not running SpD + Taunt, I don't find the need to outspeed Excadrill or Kyurem-black, as Excadrill can't touch Talonflame anyways (and no Taunt for rocks) and Kyurem-B wins the earth power/roost wars anyways. The extra SpD helps with Mega Gardevoir, Volcarona, Zard Y, and taking Scalds better.

Last edited:

Seasons

Sassy Sunshine
is a Forum Moderator
:Keldeo: :Latias-Mega: :Cofagrigus: :Excadrill: :Talonflame: :Ferrothorn:

Hi, I was super tempted to re-release my bro-terrak team but that's lazy asf, so I'll release a prototype build that works p well and I think is a lot of fun to play. I won't go too indepth since everything here is fairly standard, but I wanted to build around support latias, good set and can absolutely be annoying for opposing balance teams to deal with, especially considering I still wasn't on the cmset at the time, I wanted to be able to properly punish/deter pursuit so I slapped in Keldeo, who also greatly appreciates Latias' defensive capabilities in staving off powerful electric/grass moves that otherwise scare it, the rest of the build is a little wierd but the main gist is; talonflame because I felt incredibly weak to weavile/screens and this thing is just a catch-all for that, excadrill being mandatory as this thing spins and sets up rocks, also beats clef so talonflame doesn't have to come in with rocks, ferrothorn was then added because of manaphy being super scary, also because spikes are broken, finally cofagrigus to add more spikes, spin-block and be a catch all check to a lot of things, this slot can technically be any other physical wall like clef or slowbro, maybe even rotom-wash, though none of them really feel right on this team considering how scared we are of the likes of lop and medicham, also metagross.

Few things to note on ev spreads; talonflame here is up to drill, checks weavile spamming icicle crash, use the 32 spdef leftover how you want, probably more speed if you're insane, attack or evne more defense, all up to you. I honestly can't remember what the drill does, psure it lives both zone hp fire, diancie ep and weavile crash/knock.

Also, one last thing to note. MAYBE, make that keldeo sub cm. Also, for a heated tech, you can maybe make ferrothorn worry seed over knock off.

Anyways, have fun with this six!
Thanks, I’ve had fun with this six for about two years. Submitting someone else’s team (same six, same order, same EVs, same moves) seems even lazier than resubmitting your old team tho

Dead by Daylight

memory tapes cycling blankly
is a Pre-Contributor
:latias-mega: :chansey: :clefable: :keldeo: :tornadus-therian: :ferrothorn:
Mega Latias Semi-Stall

I made this team around the defensive core of Mega Latias and Ferrothorn. They cover each others' weaknesses really well, seeing as Mega Lati can switch into stuff like Volcanion and Mega Charizard Y's Fire moves and Mega Lopunny's Fighting STAB, while Ferrothorn can enable enough chip damage through Spikes and Leech Seed for Keldeo and Mega Latias to win the endgame. Speaking of which, Keldeo is the main (only?) wallbreaker on this team, but it fits nicely here as a Dark resist that threatens Garchomp and Excadrill with a burn. The Defense EV's let Keldeo always survive an Adamant CB Excadrill's Earthquake after Stealth Rock. Clefable is another Pursuit answer, while also setting Stealth Rock and generally annoying the other team with Thunder Wave. AV Tornadus is the Regenerator of this team, and can seriously disrupt the opposing team. Finally, Chansey is a great special wall packing the ability to get rid of status such as Toxic or Burn, which seriously hinders most of the team besides Clefable and Chansey itself.

Thanks, I’ve had fun with this six for about two years. Submitting someone else’s team (same six, same order, same EVs, same moves) seems even lazier than resubmitting your old team tho

Hi, i did an oopsie, its legitimately been forever since I had those 6 in my builder and had no clue you were the creator of the six before it was eventually passed to me, so I'll just delete it and see what else I end up submitting instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)