Other ORAS OU Water Monotype team

RZL's Water Mono

Hello, I have decided to have my Water Monotype team rated, since Greninja was recently banned I had to make a new team. This then lead to me procrastinating for a week, and then I decided that I would build around one of my favourite and best Water sweepers, Sub CM Keldeo.

Building process of this team (Went surprisingly smoothly)
I first decided to build around SubMind Keldeo;
(SubCM Keldeo added)
Then, I though Mega-Venusaur, hazards. That brought about Starmie.
(Offensive spinner Starmie added)
I decide that I was not going to run Lanturn, and chose Rotom-Wash.
(Choice Scarf Rotom-Wash added, although I had chosen at the time)
I wanted Swampert on the team, so I went with Defensive Stealth Rocker.
(I added Defensive Swampert and made Rotom Choice Scarf)
I then threw on Gyarados, to give us Psychic coverage, and Azumarill for Dragon coverage)
(CB Azumarill, and DD Mega Gyarados were added)

So here it goes;

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Substitute

This is a basic Keldeo SubCM set. I choose SubCM Keldeo because it is a very effective sweeper, and one of the best Water types at the moment. I choose SubCM over Expert Belt, Scarf, or Specs because, I felt like build a team around one Pokemon and that is rather hard to do when the Pokemon is choice locked, or bluffing the choice locked. Secret Sword is used to beat Special walls, and win Calm Mind wars. Scald is chosen over Hydro Pump for accuracy, consistency, and the chance to burn. Keldeo makes a fine centerpiece to the now Greninja-less Water type, I have found this makes Water either offensive, or stall-oriented defense. I have chosen the former while building this team. On to the next Pokemon, since Keldeo is hard walled by Venusaur, Starmie.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock Psychic (Suggested by Sae)
- Recover

I choose Starmie as my hazard remover because it can use its nice base 115 speed stat to out speed most non-scarfed Pokemon and remove hazards. Since it has Natural Cure it can switch in on the rather obscure toxic spikes and spin them away without problem, as well as, acting as the status absorber for the team. Since Keldeo is also hard walled by Venusaur, and Starmie can remedy this with a Psyshock Psychic after it has been weakened down to around half. Hydro Pump is to mainly hit hard with its most powerful STAB move. Recover is to provide much needed longevity as, I definitely want my spinner around late game. I chose this set over the Reflect Type set because I wanted this team to be high paced even though the Reflect type set is very good, if anyone thinks I should switch please tell me below, and I will try Reflect type Starmie. Now onto my Grass Knot eater, and scarfer, Rotom-Wash.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Trick

I choose Rotom-Wash (Rotom) as my Revenge Killer because, it has Volt Switch, and with a very light weight of 0.3 kilograms it can easily come in to take Grass Knots. Volt Switch is used so, I can easily switch out Rotom if an opponent decides to save their Pokemon, I then can easily get my own counter to said Pokemon (I think every scarfer that gets U-turn or Volt Switch runs it). Trick is used to cripple walls and annoyances such as, Ferrothorn (In my side), or any other bulk Pokemon which resist my STABs. Will-O-Wisp is ran over Pain Split, or anything else because it lets me burn things once my Scarf is gone. Hydro Pump is just used to hit very hard. Now onto my own Electric immunity and Stealth rocker, Swampert.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Scald
- Stealth Rock

I decide to use Swampert over the two other viable electric immunities which water has access to Lanturn, and Quagsire. The first reason was that I decided I did not want to use Lanturn, the second reason was that I needed a Stealth rocker, and Swampert provided that. Scald gives that ever so nice burn chance. Earthquake is for damage, and drastically hurting Electric types. Ice Punch provides nice coverage, hitting Landorus, and a multitude of Grass and Flying types. I do not normally run Stealth Rock on my Water type teams, but I decided to run it this time, and it has worked out very well. Moreover my next Pokemon is my clean-up sweeper, Gyarados-Mega.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

I choose Mega Gyarados as my clean-up sweeper because it has excellent coverage, and can run through broken teams with ease. I used 168 Jolly speed to out speed base 130s after one Dragon Dance, and choice scarf base 110s after two. Dragon Dance is ran on 92.6% of Gyarados in monotype, it sets up one, or two and then proceeds to sweep the other team. Crunch is a wonderful STAB, and provides Psychic type coverage, although I tend to switch between this and Ice Fang. Waterfall is the main STAB of this set, and deal a lot of damage, I also tend to get quite a few flinches. Earthquake is mandatory coverage for Electric types, Gyarados should never leave home without it. Do you know how to break a wall, use a wall breaker, and my wall breaker of choice is Azumarill.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power Sap Sipper (Suggested by InfernapeTropius11)
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe (Suggested by Cnorth)
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

I choose Azumarill as my wall breaker as, it preforms this duty unfailing as, most people expect a Belly Drum. The weird spread is to maximize bulk while still out speeding a bunch of things such as, 4 EVs Scizor, Aegislash, Skarmory, most other Azumarills, and any Pokemon which is not speed invested below 70 base speed. Now onto the moves, Aqua jet provides the much needed priority. Play rough trucks anything unresistant, likewise with Waterfall. Knock off takes care of Chansey, and Porygon2's eviolite, and gets the 2HKO on standard Aegislash. Sap Sipper is used to take oncoming spores from Breloom, and then wall it to death, while also taking Leaf Storms from Serperior.

Mega-Venusaur: Also known as, any Water type teams nightmare, if weakened Starmie can revenge kill at about half on standard Defensive Mega-Venusaur.
Latios: This monster can damage the team with Life Orb Draco Meteors, and Energy balls, but the choice scarf set is even worse, as then it is out speeding everything, and dealing huge damage to the team.
Kyurem-Black: This tank can take a lot of hits while, dealing out massive Fusion Bolts. Swampert can help take this out by burning it then, earthquaking it down to low health.
Breloom: ;-;. Spore, Bullet Seed repeat. Starmie hurts this a lot with Psyshock.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Substitute

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Recover

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Trick

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Scald
- Stealth Rock

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

tl;dr RZL is a nerd

Thank you for reading this Rate My Team. Please ameliorate this team in anyway you think would work, and please tell me about it below.

Last edited:
Put Safety Goggles on Starmie. It helps deal with Spore that you are so worried about. Though it does lower your power, it works pretty well. Also deals with the ____Powders and weather damage.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Hey dude!Your team looks pretty solid. I just have one minor change to suggest right now but that may really help you, and that is Sap Sipper on Azumarill. This allows it to completely counter Breloom AND Serperior which seem like they can give your team a lot of trouble. It is also immune to both Draco Meteor and Energy Ball from Latios (watch out for Thunderbolt though). You do lose out on a bit of Power losing Huge Power (OK a lot) but the added benefit of walling and beating these Grass types may be worth it for your team. Plus you can still get to 2.25x power(+1 from Sap Sipper, +1 from Band) if you predict correctly. Other than that it is a pretty solid team, just remember to keep Starmie alive to deal with MegaSaur :)

Reactions: RZL
OKay, I also had a suggest through pm to change Azumarill's spread to 92HP/252Atk/164Spe. I honestly doubt this spread change would be necessary if I change to Sap Sipper Azumarill. This change also seems much more efficient than, just blocking spores with Safety Googles when Starmie needs the extra power. Thank you both INfernapeTropius11, and letterman4, as well as, Cnorth26 who sent me a personal message regarding this change.

Cool team but i see way too many weaknesses to electric and seeing that some SpD might help it might not come in handy. I suggest that you have a SpD wall such as gastrodon or tentacruel so that way you don't worry about electrics sweeping your team. Just saying the flaws you have with your team
If you can show me the wins and losses you got with this team and calculate the chances of winning with my team I'll post later on but still such a great team coming from a SubCM Keldeo

Gyarados can tank a few special hits, and this team is very offensively based, and more often than not, Earthquake on Gyarados will take out an Electric team, unless built very well. Also, Swampert eats most electric types, unless they carry grass knot then, Rotom-Wash can easily come in, and take it. Also Water type teams innately have a weakness to Electric and grass, but grass gives me a harder time than, electric. Thank you for your suggestion though.

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey RZL nice team. I've been thinking about changes to this team for a while, and I think I have a few suggestions depending how you want your team to go.

One suggestion you might try is Psychic>Psyshock on Starmie. This should help deal with Mega Venusaur better and even if this means you can't get past some special walls, SubCm Keldeo already beats stuff like Chansey. You do lose some power against some AV users like say Conkeldurr, but it's still a 2HKO and Azumarill can beat it 1v1 with the rest of your team being able to deal with it in a pinch. Against Pokemon that have even defenses Psychic gets you more damage too overall so it helps with more rolls.

• 252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 273-322 (75 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 296-351 (84.3 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Psychic vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 226-268 (64.3 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Along with this change, I do think that Sap Sipper Azumarill>Huge Power would help if you change the Starmie set. Normally Sap Sipper Azu is kind of a dead weight as your Mega Venu check (unless for some reason it only has giga drain, leech seed, sleep powder but even then Synthesis would just be annoying to deal with) as Venusaur can just wear you down with HP Fire, EQ, or Sludge Bombs. However, Starmie can take care of the problem as it can almost OHKO with SR up so just some prior damage is all it'll take. This allows you to beat Serperior among other things and also lets you beat Breloom.

Kyurem-B and Latios are both hard to deal with and are reliant on scouting the set to win which is unfortunately a mandatory evil. You could try Ice Beam + Analytic on Starmie for Latios, but I think your team would appreciate Recover + Natural Cure more. Mega Gardevoir is also still one of the biggest threats for MonoWater teams so an option I'll also throw out is Thunder Wave Rotom-W. I don't really know what I'd replace as the other moves are pretty important but it's worth throwing out as a suggestion as the Scarf can allow it to cripple it in a pinch.

Hope this helps RZL2000 from a fellow Water trainer. If there's any synergy related issues with my suggestions I can rework them.

Reactions: RZL
Thank you very much Sae, I will definitely go Psychic over Psyshock on Starmie, and as said above Sap Sipper Azumarill. I will still have to play around with Thunder Wave on Rotom-Wash, but it does seem like a good idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)