Project ORAS PU Teambuilding Competition (See post #362)

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Kaboom

If anyone is curious why this core is "to my anguish" its because there's a strange phenomenon when people use this core and it's that all of the teams start to look the same. Muk + probo or metang + physically bulky grass + water defogger (usually pelipper) + normal + fast electric accounts for a large portion of these kinds of teams. It's just something bizarre I've noticed...

Kaboom wins!
Your next core is:
+

A normalspam core with Stoutland and Dodrio, where they place immense pressure on each other's checks. However, both mons have multiple viable sets and many ways to build teams around them, such as Sand Stout+CB Drio, CB Stout+Scarf Drio, and more. How will you build around them?

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Stoutland @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Howl
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Dodrio @ Salac Berry
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Natural Gift

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Defog

Muk @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Poison Jab

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

When you think about the core of Stoutland + Dodrio, the first thing that pops into your head is of course restalk Howl Stoutland + NG Dodrio, as its the perfect core as Dodrio can lure Rock/Steel types and Stoutland overpowers Stunfisk. The Stoutland spread seems like the best, to sort of lure Grumpig and Adamant Monferno, and NG Ground can also be used instead of NG fighting on Dodrio but they both are fine. Next I wanted a Rocker, so Prinplup felt like a good choice as it beats Monferno + is pretty mindless. Curse Muk also felt like a good pick as Stout + Dodrio lure in a lot of its checks, and it provides team support in checking special attackers like Zebstrika. The team was still sorta weak to Ground moves, so Leafeon was added as a Golem check and another way to pressure Monferno and weaken Steel-types. Lastly the team was quite slow as that point and you cant go wrong with Scarf Rotom. The team is kinda weak to psychic types, particularly mime, but it provides a lot of physically offensive pressure where that isn't huge.

Last edited:

Stoutland @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Howl
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Dodrio @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Natural Gift

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Defog

Muk @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Poison Jab

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

When you think about the core of Stoutland + Dodrio, the first thing that pops into your head is of course restalk Howl Stoutland + NG Dodrio, as its the perfect core as Dodrio can lure Rock/Steel types and Stoutland overpowers Stunfisk. The Stoutland spread seems like the best, to sort of lure Grumpig and Adamant Monferno, and NG Ground can also be used instead of NG fighting on Dodrio but they both are fine. Next I wanted a Rocker, so Prinplup felt like a good choice as it beats Monferno + is pretty mindless. Curse Muk also felt like a good pick as Stout + Dodrio lure in a lot of its checks, and it provides team support in checking special attackers like Zebstrika. The team was still sorta weak to Ground moves, so Leafeon was added as a Golem check and another way to pressure Monferno and weaken Steel-types. Lastly the team was quite slow as that point and you cant go wrong with Scarf Rotom. The team is kinda weak to psychic types, particularly mime, but it provides a lot of physically offensive pressure where that isn't huge.
oh my lord.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Taunt

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Facade
- Crunch

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunder Wave

So Banded Stoutland is great. I think we can all agree on that. I think we can also all agree that Banded Dodrio is cool. So I said to myself, why not both? Two powerful breakers that beat the shit out of each other's counters (Stoutland annihilates Probopass, Dodrio wrecks Metang, Mawile is handled by the rest of the team) and after those counters are weakened, mons gonna die. Facts. Anyway, since I usually use Scarf Dodrio on normalspam, I decided that I wanted Sticky Web in order for the two nukes to outspeed even more stuff. Sticky Webs and Stealth Rocks are brought by Spore Smeargle, which has Spore because the team isn't too threatened by Grass-types. It also has Magic Coat for now, but that's customizable. [EDIT: I HAVE CHANGED MAGIC COAT TO TAUNT BECAUSE TAUNT BLOCKS SETUP AND HAZARDS. USE TAUNT.] Next is Chatot. I wanted a Scarfmon, I wanted a special attacker, I wanted something to fit into normalspam. Next. Cacturne is the team's primary way of removing Normal resists. I might be wrong about this, but I'm 90% sure that Grass/Dark/Fighting coverage hits literally every normal resist in the tier for super effective damage. It has the standard specially biased mixed set that I spam. Finally, Kadabra was chosen over what was Cryogonal after I realized that Monferno 6-0ed me by setting up on Smeargle. It also acts as an emergency setup sweeper stopper.

I couldn't handle Anty's team being the only one up.

edit: replays!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-425943553 vs Slowbroth

Last edited:
TRIPLE NORMAL SPAM

Sets
Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Crunch

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost

Rampardos @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 144 Atk / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Surf

Explanation
So when i started with the well known ScarfDrio + BandStout i felt like it was a shame there was no setup sweeper within those two, so i added quick feet Ursaring bringing in a 3rd normal type. Ursaring likes healing wish support, so i added another scarfer: Mr. Mime afterwards in felt threatend by physically defensive grass types and needed a defogger that preferably wasn't weak to fighting, so i chose offensive swanna which threatens geist/tang/quil immensely thanks to stab Hurricane. at last i still needed a rocker so i went with lead pardos mostly because i wanted to fuck with lead golem as it's explosion is not appreciated and it's one of the few thing that OHKO's sturdy golem thanks to mold breaker, which the opponent often forgets in the heat of battle.
So the point of normal spam is to bring down the things that check/wall normal types by doubling down on it, with this team i decided that even more normal by adding Ursaring will may work out even better and so far it's been working out better than expected and ursaring is a p nice status absorber somewhat benefitting from them bar sleep or freeze.

Last edited:
Due to some time issues with posters, I've decided to make a change in the timing schedule: 4 days to post teams. The amount of days to vote will stay at 2.

I wasn't going to make a team but because only three people have posted I thought I would throw mine in.
Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Facade

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Steel Wing

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Parting Shot

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Electabuzz @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

For my core I decided to go with a traditional Banded Stoutland and Scarfed Dodrio. I was debating about whether to use two bands but I couldn't bring myself to not carry a scarf on the team. Next I added Smeargle for the Sticky Webs support and the excellent synergy with Parting Shot. Using Parting Shot often allows my HO team to tank an additional hit. I then originally added Cryogonal as a spinner and Simipour as scarf, but hazard stacking teams were not that common and I kept losing to flying types that were unaffected by my SW as well as normal types. So, I replaced Cryo for Misdreavus to cover my normal weakness and I subbed Electabuzz for Simipour. Electabuzz's high speed allows it to beat the likes of Swanna and Pelipper, as well as being able to tank Chatot's Boomburst. Finally I have Leafeon on the team to counter ground types and put more pressure on physical walls for my Core to sweep. Leafeon could be switched out for Kingler on this team as it is weak to the likes of Armaldo and Ninjask. But I feel that Leafeon's pro's outweigh its cons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)