OU 1st Gen Sun Team

1st Gen OU Sun Team

This would be my first "1st Gen Only" team, so help would be nice.

Meet The Team

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpAtk / 120 Spd
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny day
- Fire Blast
- Solarbeam

I pulled Ninetales from the list of 1st Generation pokes because it plays a very important by putting the sun up. Of course this team would revolve around weather, for it's very important part of OU. I gave Ninetales a suggested Sunny Day set to pull the sun back up to force opposing weather inducers to switch out. STAB Fire Blast under the sun is monstrous which is why it's Ninetales's main STAB move. Solarbeam requires no charge up with the sun, and can OHKO Politoed or do good damage on Tyranitar who, with sunny day, gets no SDef boost.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Venusaur is my weather abuser, and it just so happens to be in First Gen, so I figured hey, why not? He has a Growth set with max speed, if switched in at the right time, Venusaur can get a Growth off and that's always great. Giga Drain has good synergy with Life Orb. Sludge Bomb is just to have another STAB move for those who resist Giga Drain and Hidden Power Fire is for checks to Venusaur such as Scizor, Ferrothron, Forretress, or Jirachi whom he won't damage otherwise.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Dugtrio is my quick revenge killer / stealth rocks and I chose him because of his speed, movepool, and ability to revenge kill potential sweepers. Dugtrio really plays a good role in keeping my team's momentum under the sun. SO far he's done a pretty good job at being able to lay down the stealth rocks. With STAB Earthquake he can even take out some things on his own with his great speed.

Cloyster @ (Leftovers)
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Spear
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Shard

Cloyster was chosen to be my physically defensive utility to lay down Toxic Spikes and his good bulk allows him to do so. My team has had issues with entry hazards so I slapped rapid spin on him. Icicle Spear is for predicting an obvious switch in for those that can check Cloyster with special attacks like Latios. Ice Shard is his pirority STAB that just there for the misc.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Def / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Extremespeed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

I decided to make Dragonite a part of this team because of his bulk in his ability Multiscale. I decided to give him a Choice Band set to intensify his raw power and check pokes who would otherwise resist my team. Outrage has the potential to tear teams apart. Fire Punch is there for more coverage and its power increases in the sun, and Extremespeed is to finish off any threats who have been damaged. Earthquake is there for greater coverage and power.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Chansey is my special wall with the ability to heal my team and/or herself. With eviolite, Chansey is extra bulky and can take a good number of hits. Seismic Toss is it's only attack and does about 25% damage, just so she doesn't get shut down by a Taunt. Chansey really rounded this team off very well to give the team the bulk it needed. Toxic cripples those that levitate over the Toxic Spikes or if Toxic Spikes have been rapid spun away. Chansey's EV Spread allows it to keep good HP with impressive bulk and take many more hits.

Importable:

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 152 HP / 108 SDef / 248 Spd
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Fighting]​

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]​

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch​

Cloyster (M) @ (Leftovers)
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Spear
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Shard​

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Roost​

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Protect​

- Seismic Toss​

Hi there!

This is a really cool team, I like the concept of making a 1st gen, for the 5th gen Metagame. One problem I do see is how easily your Venusaur gets shut down. Being a Sun team, Venusaur should be your primary sweeper, meaning you will want to have the best coverage possible. I feel that you should try Hidden Power [Fire] instead of Hidden Power [Ground]. Hidden Power [Fire] allows you to take down Ferrothorn and Forretress, as well as being able to revenge Scizor, which is something that looks troublesome as it can revenge Dugtrio, Venusaur, deal huge amounts of damage to Chansey, and also U-Turn out from Ninetales who resists both of Scizor's STAB options. Dropping Hidden Power [Ground] in this scenario does not really hurt your team. The only things you're hitting noticeably harder are Heatran and Magnezone, both of which are easily dealt with by your Chansey, who can Softboiled / Wish up to full and spam Seismic Tosses, whittling them down quickly. Additionally, I also think you could modify your Venusaur set to make it a little more efficient. I do see some things such as Scarf Latios to beat a threat to this team. It revenges Dragonite, Cloyster and Dugtrio while crippling Chansey with Trick, making Chansey useless. To help with this, I think a set of 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spe would benefit your team a lot more. With this set, you still outspeed Scarf Latios, as well as other Scarf base 110s. You also get a little more bulk while maximizing offensive power. With this set, you outspeed the most important things your team has problems with, substituting the rest into Special Attack and HP.

Like most Sun teams, you do seem quite weak to Dragons. Yes, you may have Cloyster who can deal with a lot of them, but it doesn't really seem reliable to depend on one Pokemon to deal with a lot of common threats. Not to mention Cloyster being your spinner is also weak to Stealth Rock, which will limit it's switch-ins if you do not find opportunities to Rapid Spin. As a result, I think you should try out Choice Band Dragonite over your current Dragon Dance Dragonite. Choice Band Dragonite is a great offensive partner with Venusaur, it deals with the most common things Venusaur is walled by a lot better than your previous Dragon Dance variant. Chansey, Blissey, Haxorus, Latios, Salamence and other Dragons are all revenged from around 50% or straight up OHKO'd. Removing these threats gives Venusaur an easier time to sweep, this is especially important considering you aren't running Sleep Powder or Hidden Power [Ice] on Venusaur. Choice Band Dragonite looks like a great fit for your team, it has the initial power to destroy many threats to your team which are easily put into range by your Cloyster's Ice Shard.

Also, I think you could change your Chansey set a little bit to make it more beneficial for your team. I do see things such as Volcarona being a problem for your team. Right now, it can set up on Chansey, Ninetales and Venusaur, while your other team mates cannot really do a whole lot to it. For this reason I think you should replace Protect with Toxic on Chansey. Protect does seem a little redundant to me, you should never need to Protect if you play Chansey well, and it should be even easier when you're running Wish and Softboiled. While Toxic might seem a little unnecessary when your Cloyster has Toxic Spikes, I think you will have trouble setting them up every match, especially when Cloyster has bad defensive typing and poor Special Defense. Toxic is a backup incase this happens, allowing you to status big threats to your team such as Bulky QD Volcarona and CM Latias. Statusing these will help greatly as it deters them from setting up to the point where they are untouchable for your team to face. I also think you should change your Chansey's EV spread to 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef. Given the fact you are using Eviolite on Chansey, it seems like a waste to run all the HP investment, when you can increase your special defence by 50% while still retaining good HP. This set is a lot more efficient for your team, actually letting Chansey take hits on both sides of the spectrum. This is especially important given the offensive nature of your team.

Finally, a little nitpick. I think you should try 21 HP IVs on your Dugtrio. 21 HP IVs put you at 201 HP, enough to make 4 equal Substitutes and survive with 1 HP if Stealth Rock isn't up. This will help you get maximum base powered Reversals easily, which can hit stuff such as Tyranitar and Air Balloon Heatran hard, both of which are pretty big threats to Sun Teams.

Cool team, hope I helped!

Sayonara

don't forget
Hi!

Cool team, FanOfSamurott! I am seconding Jimbon's recommendation of Hidden Power Fire over Hidden Power Ground, for the reasons outlined in his post. Additionally, you've got Dugtrio already to trap and eliminate Heatran and Magnezone, so Hidden Power Ground isn't necessary for your current team. I find that Dragons who utilize Dragon Dance are a bit hard for your team to handle, as they can come in on Dugtrio and use him as a set-up fodder. To help deal with this situation, I would replace Dugtrio's Sucker Punch in favor of Stone Edge. This prevents Dugtrio from being unable to do anything when facing a Dragon Dance sweeper. It's a 2HKO on Salamence and Dragonite (after Multiscale has been broken!). Now, for your Ninetales. I find a Sunny Day Ninetales would be a much better fit for this team, allowing you to win weather wars with much more ease. When an opposing Politoed or Tyranitar switches into your Ninetales, you can utilize Sunny Day to switch the weather back to Sun, while the opposing Politoed or Tyranitar needs to switch out again. This strategy is really effective, and it allows you to gain a lot of momentum. Solarbeam lets you deal with Water-types like Starmie, Gastrodon and Jellicent, and doesn't require a turn to charge up due to Sun's presence. Fire Blast hits really hard in the Sun, denting anything that doesn't resist it and is not named Chansey or Blissey. Will-O-Wisp lets you cripple a physical attacker, which Ninetales tends to lure out. The EVs lets Ninetales outspeed any Politoed or Tyranitar that isn't wielding a Choice Scarf, while the HP EVs optimize Leftovers recovery. The remaining EVs are placed in Special Attack for a powerful Fire Blast and Solarbeam. The set can be found below. Finally, I would also recommend Toxic over Protect in order to stall out opponents, and cripple stuff like Latias. Cool team, and good luck!

Ninetales @ Leftovers | Drought
Modest | 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
~ Sunny Day
~ Solarbeam
~ Fire Blast
~ Will-O-Wisp

hi there samurott, nice team you have. the only thing i have a problem is with your venusaur and cloyster don't get me wrong they are both great pokemons for your team but the set are a bit shaky. as i see your venusaur has a bit of a tentacruel and toxicroak problem as toxicroak can icepunch you while the latter can blizzard venusaur and not worry about cloyster interfearing. for venusaur i suggest a naughty nature with the following set and ev,
80atk 176spd 252atk with the moveset

earthquake
gigadrain
growth
hp-fire @lifeorb

for cloyster i would suggest using the defense ev you have on it and replace it with the attack ev vice-versa. and have hp-electric(electric) instead of icicle spear for boltbeam coverage of gyarados and incoming starmie. ice shard is most important priority for pesky dragons and genies nowadays. I AM NOT SO ORGANIZED WHEN IT COME'S TO TEAM RATING AND HELP SO TAKE IT EASY.

Well chansey can switch in on a blizzard with no problem, and I think dugtrio can OHKO toxicroak with earthquake if toxicroak doesn't carry bulk up (idk if it can learn it or not)

As for gyrados, venusaur can 2HKO with sludge bomb or giga drain with the sun up and a growth or 2, for incoming starmie, venusaur should outspeed it under the sun and take him out with giga drain, if I get rid of HP Fire I'd have no coverage against those that are lured in by him like common bulky steel types.

Well chansey can switch in on a blizzard with no problem, and I think dugtrio can OHKO toxicroak with earthquake if toxicroak doesn't carry bulk up (idk if it can learn it or not)
So what if dugtrio get out of the picture? it not a pokemon that meant for logngevity, the team is great no doubt but all i am saying that moveset are more beneficial than the one's you have on them now and will help you with eliminate instead of having to switch constantly fearing those threats. having to rely on chansey is not a bad thing and it is a great wall, but the factor that it has low abysmal speed and seismic toss as an only pivot offense move make gengar and gliscor come in more not to mention breloom. i never really said to remove the hp-fire anywhere. gyarados nowadays carry bounce i see no way of venusaur taking that stab. earthquake is to for suprise take factor.

I see, it depends on the variant of breloom, my team has more than enough coverage to take out the likes of breloom as ninetales can outspeed and OHKO fire blast, or venusaur HP Fire who can resist breloom's moves, gengar is a fast one but he's squishy as far as defense goes, physical attacking gliscor can be taken out by Ice Shard or icicle spear

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)