OU 2nd RMT ~ Mixed Bulky Offence

INTRO

Hey, I'm Doff and this is my second RMT :D
I've been messing about on Showdown for a bit now, and i managed to put this team together thinking of how to counter most of the prominent figures in today's meta. It's been quite successful so far, getting me past 1500, but I've been stuck there for a while and would like to improve this team to try and reach higher :]

Getting into it:

Team Building

I wanted to try and gain some momentum right from the start of the match, so i opted for Infernape as an offensive lead.

Thinking about unfavorable situations for Infernape to stay in, i found Gastrodon and Skarmory prove to be reliable switch-ins to many things Infernape doesn's want to deal with, creating a solid mixed core.

Except for Infernape, things were looking pretty poor on the attacking side of things. So i added Tyranitar and Jirachi due to their bulk and offensive potential.

As a glue for this team i needed something able to take hits comfortably that when nobody else really wanted to, and that could stay in on some threats and slowly eliminate them without any boosts. A mega which fit the bill just right was Mega Venusaur.

The Team

The Lead:

Infernape@Choice band
Ability: Iron fist
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
- U-Turn
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch

The combination of iron fist and a choice band make this guy a serious threat right off the bat. A pretty standard Infernape set with close combat and flare blitz for impressive coverage, thunder punch in case someone decides to lead with Gyarados providing a OHKO 56% of the time after intimidate, and so that Azumarill doesn't completely wall me. U-Turn gets me out of sticky situations while doing a lot of damage at the same time. Max speed to outspeed everything unboosted under 108 and max atk to hit hard.

The Physical Wall:

Skarmory@leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind/Toxic
- Taunt/Brave Bird/Counter/Whirlwind

Skarmory in a nutshell: switch in on a physical hit, tank all day, and be annoying. Spikes, Toxic and Whirlwind work on getting residual damage which ensures some KOs that the offensive side of my team enjoys. Roost is almost mandatory, recycling sturdy in some cases, and the fourth moveslot changes continuously. Counter can give OHKOs on anything physical and has great synergy with sturdy, while taunt helps with slower tanks. Skarmory is here to switch into psychic, ground and flying attacks aimed at Infernape since turn one. 0 Atk IVs and a negative nature to get the least confusion damage and foul play when not running brave bird (you never know).

The Special Tank:

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

The ability to switch fearlessly into water and electric attacks makes it so Gastrodon is often in the spotlight. Scald's 30% burn chance is a godsend that helps to somewhat mitigate its weaker physical bulk. Toxic + Recover stalls special threats all day and Earth Power is a secondary STAB which hits fairly nicely even uninvested if i predict well the steel switch on the toxic and get a super effective hit with it. 0 Atk IVs for the same reasons as Skarmory.

The Bulky Monster:

Tyranitar@Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Def / 8 SpD
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail

Assault vest T-Tar in the sand is one of the bulkiest special walls out there. Some of the strongest non STAB Focus Blasts are easily 2HKOs. He misses leftovers but the amount of bulk gained makes up for it. EdgeQuake gives awesome coverage, Crunch for STAB and Dragon Tail helps rack up residual damage. Works amazingly if used on a garchomp switching in to EQ. The EV spread retains a lot of bulk while squeezing out the most power.

The Mega:

Venusaur@Venusaurite
Ability: Clorophyll (Thick Fat)
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 132 Def / 124 SpA / 252 SpD
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Mega Venusaur is a very mixed pokemon in terms of playstyle. This set aims to make the most out of Leech Seed and Giga Drain by having no HP investment, while investing the spare EVs in Special Atk to have a solid offensive presence. He's a very nice counter to other annoying seeders such as whimsicott and trevenant, due to leech seed immunity and STAB Sludge Bomb. Synthesis is for dead turns and to last even longer. 0 Atk IVs because why not.

The Housekeeper

Jirachi@Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- U-Turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Trick / Wish / Stealth Rock

Whenever there's some clean up that needs to be taken care of, Jirachi is the one who takes on the job. U-Turn is a great scout and works well with Infernape to keep momentum, while Iron Head provides STAB, wrecks fairies, and a lot of hax. What more could you ask. Ice punch is for dragons and Trick is to troll a bit more. Alternatively Jirachi can carry wish or stealth rock even if it forces me to hard switch right after, to keep the team healthy or to get rocks up really fast.

Main Threats

Strong wallbreakers, especially some Megas, can cause a lot of trouble to this team. Namely Mega Mawile, Mega Medicham and Mega Charizard. Charizard is my worse problem right now due to it being hard to predict which mega it will be, and the wrong guess often leads to either starting the match 5-6 or giving Char X a free swords dance, which usually ends up worse. However there is nothing like switching in T-Tar on a Solar Beam aimed at Gastrodon to remove the sun and lock charizard in to live the solar beam easily and finish him off with a stone edge. So easy yet so effective.

Concluding:

Thank you for reading my RMT, please leave any thoughts you have on how I can improve it, I'm open to all criticism :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)