Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Roost

Mega Charizard X greatly enjoys the Defog support Tapu Fini brings and benefits from Misty Terrain, as it prevents opposing Pokemon from crippling Mega Charizard X with status, like Thunder Wave from Rotom-W and Mega Latias or Toxic from Toxapex. Misty Terrain also helps Mega Charizard X set up against Pokemon with Dragon-type coverage (albeit rare) to a certain extent, like opposing Mega Charizard X with Outrage (which does a maximum of 92.9% under Misty Terrain). Mega Charizard X can pressure those Grass-type Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu for Tapu Fini, while Tapu Fini can deal with Ash-Greninja (and Landorus-T) for Mega Charizard X.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Archive will be updated soon with all the submissions! Thanks a lot to everyone that posted teammates!!

Cycle Three: Tapu Fini

— — — — —
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt
- Defog

— — — — —

Tapu Fini has been receiving a surge of popularity and relevancy as of late, but what teammates can help it perform its role better? And which teammates appreciate the utility it provides?​
Hey Lyd, it would help if you gave a brief explanation as to what that set achieves, as the EVs seem pretty random.

On topic: I'm someone who has experimented a lot with Tapu Fini and I do think that it's pretty underrated as it can provide a lot of utility with the right support. First of all, I am usually against running Scald on Fini, as I find that I prefer Surf's damage rolls against Heatran and Gliscor to be a lot more useful. I suppose without Scald you give Tapu Bulu free switches, but you can always work around that with your other team members. I also like my Tapu Fini to outspeed max speed Timid Heatran so it's easier to 1v1 it with your water move should it have to come to that. If you think that's fallen out of popularity, however, feel free to drop it down to outspeed max speed non-speed boosting nature Heatran (which I assume you have done given your spread hits 254). 40 EVs in Special Attack ensures a OHKO on Hawlucha after Stealth Rocks. I also find it strange that you have forgone Nature's Madness, as I feel like this is a pretty good move for Fini. It is by no means necessary, however, and Fini can run a number of different moves. I think Fini's main claim to fame is the ability to Defog on Heatran and Ash-Greninja. It also does decently well against stall if you're the Taunt variant.

As for teammates, I really like my Tapu Fini to have Wish support, as the biggest criticism people have of Tapu Fini is that it doesn't have any reliable recovery. I feel like Fini fits best on balanced teams. I am often pairing Tapu Fini with this:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- filler move depending on what your team needs

Other wish passers can work too, but Chansey seems to be the most consistent.

To really get the most out of Misty Terrain, I usually pair my Tapu Fini with hard hitting physically offensive Pokemon that aren't levitating. This is because things like Toxapex (which Fini can sometimes let in) can give them free switches and they also usually threaten it. These types can usually stomach a hit or too as well to make use of the wish passing that I usually run with my Tapu Fini. Being able to switch in on Scald is a severely underrated implication of Misty Terrain.
Example of these include but are not limited to:

Last edited:
Hey Lyd, it would help if you gave a brief explanation as to what that set achieves, as the EVs seem pretty random.

On topic: I'm someone who has experimented a lot with Tapu Fini and I do think that it's pretty underrated as it can provide a lot of utility with the right support. First of all, I am usually against running Scald on Fini, as I find that I prefer Surf's damage rolls against Heatran and Gliscor to be a lot more useful. I suppose without Scald you give Tapu Bulu free switches, but you can always work around that with your other team members. I also like my Tapu Fini to outspeed max speed Timid Heatran so it's easier to 1v1 it with your water move should it have to come to that. If you think that's fallen out of popularity, however, feel free to drop it down to outspeed max speed non-speed boosting nature Heatran (which I assume you have done given your spread hits 254). 40 EVs in Special Attack ensures a OHKO on Hawlucha after Stealth Rocks. I also find it strange that you have forgone Nature's Madness, as I feel like this is a pretty good move for Fini. It is by no means necessary, however, and Fini can run a number of different moves. I think Fini's main claim to fame is the ability to Defog on Heatran and Ash-Greninja. It also does decently well against stall if you're the Taunt variant.

As for teammates, I really like my Tapu Fini to have Wish support, as the biggest criticism people have of Tapu Fini is that it doesn't have any reliable recovery. I feel like Fini fits best on balanced teams. I am often pairing Tapu Fini with this:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- filler move depending on what your team needs

Other wish passers can work too, but Chansey seems to be the most consistent.

To really get the most out of Misty Terrain, I usually pair my Tapu Fini with hard hitting physically offensive Pokemon that aren't levitating. This is because things like Toxapex (which Fini can sometimes let in) can give them free switches and they also usually threaten it. These types can usually stomach a hit or too as well to make use of the wish passing that I usually run with my Tapu Fini. Being able to switch in on Scald is a severely underrated implication of Misty Terrain.
Example of these include but are not limited to:
The EV spread is the new one on the Tapu Fini revamp that Lyd recently finished and is on the dex. To give you a brief outline, the Speed EVs outspeed Modest Heatran, the Defensive EVs allows Tapu Fini to eat a +2 Acrobatics from Hawlucha, 12 SpA guarantees 2HKO on Heatran with Scald after rocks, and the rest is put into SpDef to improve mu against Ash-G and Tran

Tapu Fini is a great Pokémon that I cannot build teams without using it, it is just a great mon that can consistently check Heatran and Ash Greninja. I found Fini to be the best on Bulky Offensive Team. The partner that benefits Fini the most is in my opinion:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Zapdos greatly complements Fini for its ability to check threats to Fini such as Grass Types. We already know that Fini's recovery is not amazing and it cannot afford to get knocked off, so Zapdos is able to sponge the knock and it won't affect Zap' that much, and the opposing mon' risks getting paralyzed. Zap' is a flying type, so it can deal with attacks that Fini wouldn't want to switch into like Lando's EQ. Zapdos also have Volt Switch, which is able to:
1. Get free damage on opposing Heatran so Surf/Scald would have an easier time killing it, or it can confirm whether Heatran is possessing a Z-Move.
2. Ensure that the opponent can't make doubles expecting Fini. An example is switching to Kartana just to get volt on and losing important HP and lose a shit ton of momentum that can make or break a game.

Zapdos really enjoy the support from Tapu Fini as she checks Heatran and Ash Greninja. Zapdos also appreciate those pesky pebbles (stealth rocks) gone as it ensures Zapdos to always live 2 knock offs from Choice Band Kartana. Overall, they are just made for each other and I highly recommend you using Zapdos when you are looking for teammates that complements Fini.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earth Power
- Roost

Kyurem-B is a powerful offensive threat that's really fallen under the radar recently. Its biggest issue as a breaker is its tendency to get worn down quickly, particularly from entry hazards. Tapu Fini alleviates this problem by removing rocks, allowing Kyurem-B to switch in unencumbered and break through opposing teams with its frightening coverage and power. Another small thing that's nice about this pairing is that Tapu Fini weakens opposing Dragon-type moves like Draco Meteor from Latios and Dragon Claw from Mega Charizard X, allowing Kyurem-B to function as an emergency check to them at points. Obviously Z-Move Kyurem-B works well with Tapu Fini too, I just find Life Orb easier to fit onto offensive builds.

Last edited:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 100 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

gliscor is able to act like a secondary switch in for heatran and a soft check for mega mawile and tapu fini is able to handle ash greninja which gliscor is weak to. Also, gliscor is able to provide stealth rock for some chip damage.

Apologies for the delay. The archive will be updated soon with all the submissions! Thanks a lot to everyone that posted teammates!!

Cycle Four: Tapu Koko

— — — — —
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost / Dazzling Gleam

— — — — —

Tapu Koko's Choice Specs set is a deadly threat for unprepared teams, but what teammates can support it?​

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tapu Koko lures in Grass-types like Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu that Mega Charizard X loves to set up on while also threatening out/pressuring irritating waters and forces opponents to make tough reads with their grounds at times, making it very solid to pair with Zardx. Pretty straightforward partner, base 100 speed breaker/sweeper that has good offensive synergy with Tapu Koko.

Last edited:

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out / Thunder Punch

Medi appreciates Tapu Koko's Volt Switch, as it gives it extra opportunities to come in, specially since most Koko checks are weak to either Fighting, Ice, or get their health chipped away with Fake Out (with Psychic being neutral most of the time). Common Medi checks (Tornadus-T, Sableye-M, Mew, and Slowbro if not carrying TPunch) get heavily damaged by Koko's boosted attacks, too.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Classic core that is really annoying to face. Koko hates everything that resists thunderbolt, being grasses and grounds. Kyurem hates things named a Kyurem switch-in. Kyurem however has Hidden Power Fire to nail Ferrothorn and can break other grounds and grasses with Ice Beam. In return, Koko provides eterrain that allows Kyruem to unleash it's fusion bolt vs Toxapex and Celesteela. Kyurem also either ties or outruns the other tapus and can threaten them with Ice Beam and Fusion Bolt respectively. Koko gives Kyurem free switches with Volt Switch as well, to be noted.

Last edited:

Magearna @ Fairium Z / Steelium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Fleur Cannon / Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Shift Gear Magearna is quite the threat to reckon with, but having only Fleur / Flash + Focus Blast leaves Magearna walled by Toxapex. Even with Thunderbolt, Magearna only has 43.4% maximum to SpDef Toxapex, but under Electric Terrain, it is a guaranteed 2HKO on Toxapex. Tapu Koko can also use Volt Switch on Pokemon like Grass-types, giving Magearna a free opportunity to set up. Electric Terrain also prevents Amoonguss from putting Magearna to sleep, but one should look out for Stun Spore.

Last edited:

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 44 Def / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
(Offensive also works)

Flyinium Z Landorus-T + Tapu Koko is one of my favorite cores as of right now, because there's some really good synergy. Notably, Landorus-T can take advantage of Grass-types like Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth that'll often attempt to pivot into Tapu Koko. Furthermore, it formes a very nice VoltTurn core that can constantly keep pressure up. It also takes some pressure off of Tapu Koko to keep Hawlucha in check.

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
(no sprites bc on phone)

Greninja (M) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- U-Turn / Hidden Power Fire / whatever

Protean gren is probably one of my favourite mons in SM OU as it's very versatile yet threatening depending on the set. Anyways, it synergizes pretty well with koko, forming a duo offensive core. First and foremost, it baits in the likes of Chansey, Ferrothorn and other stuff potentially such as Gastrodon. It lays down spikes too, which Specs Koko for sure loves. As well, it can even form a volt-turn core with Koko if you want to run U-Turn on it. Ice Beam is for coverage, 88 SpA is to guarantee the KO on kart as you cant nab the OHKO without the Z otherwise. I haven't tried building with specs koko too recently, but this sounds good

Last edited:

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
RoAPL Champion

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

M-Gallade and Tapu Koko can form a really strong wallbreaking core. M-Gallade enjoys Tapu Koko's Volt Switch and ability to threaten M-Sableye and switch on Tornadus-T, while Tapu Koko appreciates that M-Gallade is capable of threatening bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and M-Venusaur as well as other special sponges like Chansey.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Zard Y is an excellent partner to Tapu Koko, Koko can bring it in with Volt Switch on incoming bulky grass types like Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss and especially Ferrothorn, which are all troublesome for Koko to deal with.
In return Tapu Koko breaks through Zard Ys checks such as Toxapex with strong STAB in Thunderbolt, which is Electric Terrain boosted.

(gifs dont work me so)
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Zen Headbutt

hoopa-u appreciates how it can be brought in by, koko using volt switch and hoopa-u can be used to break through teams

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 52 HP / 204 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Substitute
- Belly Drum

SubDrum Kommo pairs well with anything that can set screens for it. Koko can set screens for it. Enough said.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Victini @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick / Final Gambit / Zen Headbutt / Brick Break

So Tini forms a nice choiced VoltTurn core with Koko, taking advantage of the Grass-types that it draws in and appreciating Ground-types being weakened by Hidden Power Ice. Victini can also cripple many Koko answers with Trick, and likes its Bolt Strike being powered up into a pseudo-STAB attack.

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
Tapu koko bait in grass types, Latis, chansey and ground types. Most of them got one thing in common, they let ferrothorn get spikes, certainly it's not always the case but it's a likely thing. More over ferrothorn is also able to cheap that lando that came on tbolt to turn. and can also twave scarfer/ some fast mons that would pivot on him making things easier for koko.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

MeeMoon78

Banned deucer.
Kartana @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Giga Impact / Smart Strike
- Swords Dance

Kartana helps Koko by getting rid of ground types. Whereas Tapu Koko can dazzling gleam all the fighting types to help Kartana.
Kartana helps get rid of bulky special walls such as Blissey or Chansey.

Ok I know I've been being a terrible host of this, but hopefully now that I'm getting a bit more used to uni I might be able to handle this better, so yeah sorry for everything. OP will be updated soon, stay tuned!

Cycle Five: Kommo-o

— — — — —
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

— — — — —

Recently rising to OU, the clanger has proven itself to be a deadly sweeper, but what teammates would you recommend to support it?​

Greninja (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
- Low Kick

Greninja and Kommo-o form a very powerful hazard stacking core. Not only is Greninja able to pressure Tornadus-T, it can very easily force damage on Tapu Fini, ultimately freeing Kommo-o up a lot more to do what it wants freely. This core will need quite a bit of support, though, most notably needing solid checks to Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Koko. In addition, a good way to handle Toxapex is necessary.

Last edited:

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
RoAPL Champion

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Kommo-o and M-Alakazam make a solid offensive core together. M-Alakazam pressures Toxapex, Tapu Fini, and Amoonguss for Kommo-o, while in return Kommo-o wears down Steel-types like Magearna and Celesteela for M-Alakazam.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)