Gen 7 OU Mega Beedrill VoltTurn

So I'm using this team on Showdown, pretty successful so far but some fine-tuning is appreciated

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

Beedrill is obviously the key component, with Adaptability U-Turn denting a lot of stuff, and Poison Jab nailing clefable and the occasional Lele. Knock off is all-around useful, and drill run murders Magnezone and Heatran. Obviously very very frail, but hit-and-run is the essence of this pokemon anyways, so, not too big of a deal. However, stealth rock is the bane of this set so my countermeasures are listed below.

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid nature
- Surf
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

I've lost battles to Hydro Pump misses before, so surf is useful for safer KO's on weakened mons. It is kinda weak without a rain boost, but then again, i use this grenin to finish off weakened attackers and/or skarmories, and in scenarios like this, surf's accuracy is needed. Water Shuriken and Dark Pulse are standard, while Ice Beam is used over spikes to better handle Garchomp, Lando-T, Serperior, Dragonite after rocks etc.

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- HP Ice
- Defog

The "Volt" part of VoltTurn. Pretty standard, although Defog is used to keep the team's glass cannon, beedrill, alive a little longer. Thunderbolt with a terrain boost hits hard (duh), HP ice is for lando-t and weakened Garchomps, and the only item i could think of was a magnet to power up t-bolt even futher, and give volt switch a little more strength. it could help against, say, a 70% Pex.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Defog

Physically Defensive Hazard control, and as you can clearly tell, Mega Beedrill does NOT appreciate entry hazards so the more defog there is, the better. Normal defensive Lando-T besides that, Defog+Rocks lets me set the hazards completely in my favor, earthquake is straightforward, and who doesn't like extra U-Turn? I was considering HP Ice on the set to ease the matchup against opposing Landos, but Defog is sorely missed.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Subzero Slammer needs no explanation whatsoever, Ice Beam for reliable stab, Fusion Bolt for the BoltBeam coverage, and earth power crushes magnezone and several other pokemon. a Naive nature is used to make sure Ice Beam and Earth Power aren't weakened, while keeping some physical bulk on Kyurem. This set often gets annihilated by Ferro, especially since substitute is useless against Gyro Ball variants, so my answer is listed below:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 SpDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Toxic

I actually used to have an Assault Vest Magearna in this slot, but my team was getting ruined by Protect+Seed Ferrothorn so I swapped Magearna for a sp. defensive Heatran. Since this set's main purpose is to incinerate ferrothorn, i dont really care about the speed EVs. Should I? Please tell me if I should. The moves are standard ctrl C + ctrl V for a special defence heatran, nothing too extraordinary there.

...And that covers just about everything, any adjustments needed?

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey, this is looks like a fun concept to use. There are some weaknesses that I think need to be addressed though. I'll try and make some edits while keeping the theme of the team.
Let's stick with our offensive threats and our defensive Pokemon that can function as pivots. (All sets I am referring to are taken from Smogon's analyses, as I think they work well here).

Firstly, I'd change the Greninja set. As you noted, Surf is way too weak to function out of rain. Also, I think that Spikes, or even U-Turn, is more valuable than Ice Beam here, since you at least gain something when your opponent goes to their Greninja check/counter. Besides, anything that Ice Beam hits, Kyurem and/or Beedrill are already good against.

Secondly, Battle Bond Greninja gives you a lot of trouble too. I think we should elect to switch Heatran with a Ferrothorn to let up get hazards for the team. Ferrothorn can run several utility options that help you out against certain threats like Knock Off for opposing Ferrothorn, Thunder Wave for Volcarona and Tornadus, and so on.

Rain looks seriously hard to deal with, so I think defensive Rotom-Wash is a great pick for this team, as it fits in well with the team.

I'd also make Landorus the Choice Scarf set. Despite Beedrill's speed, it's still out-sped by threats like Mega Alakazam.

I am also kind of concerned about Kyurem. We don't have a very reliable way of removing Stealth Rocks, and two of our Pokemon are weak to it without any form of recovery. Perhaps we could switch it out for something that either helps our team out more, or a similar type of Pokemon. Kommoniun-Z Kommo-o or Banded Hoopa-Unbound sound good. I'd probably go with Kommo-o, as it can check Volcarona and act as a secondary Greninja switch-in. Hoopa makes you better off against Toxapex though. Experimentation is needed.

Try this, but maybe you could change it up a little after some experimentation.
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Power Whip

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk / 68 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog

Very intriguing changes, I have to say. I think Kommo-o is the superior option, since its possible to out-stall toxapex with ferrothorn. Speaking of ferrothorn, i'd rather Protect over Knock off for the added turn of Leech seed recovery, although Knock off definitely hurts switch-ins that rely heavily on their item. I'll go test this out, thanks for the help :)

so, admittedly, the first two attempts were... uh... Im gonna run stealth rock on ferro then opt for banded hoopa, see how that goes

I can see the premise of the team utilizing Bee's U-turn to get the big strong breakers to start eating stuff for breakfast.

Overall the squad does provide adequate responses to Beedrill's switch-ins but a thing I've noticed is that opposing Scarfers and set-up sweepers 6-0 this team after one Quiver/Dragon Dance (Zard X and Kartana in particular). Because of this I suggest converting Greninja to a Scarfed Protean variant that can clear the way for your other offensive mons, being able to outspeed and revenge said Scarfers/Dancers and nullifying them completely. Also eases the matchup against Mega Zam.

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Second I feel like Magnezone is a mandatory partner for Mega Bee, since it eats Skarmories, Celesteelas and Ferrothorns for breakfast and guarantees their deaths, which Koko struggles to secure.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

I think it's basic philosophy to never have hazards and Defog on the same mon. I'd exchange Tran for Jirachi. I also prefer Gliscor over Landorus-T as a defogger, since it garters more recovery and is one of the best counters to opposing Heatran, which the team seemed to lack, but in the end it's your choice. They both add to the Volturn core and form a hazard core.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Lastly I reaaally don't think Kyurem-B is that good of a breaker right now. Once it burns the Z move, it's pretty much just sac fodder. Because of this I'd slot in a Choice Band Weavile on the squad. Gets rid of the Gliscors and Landos that wall the Bee and provides a much better speed tier that lets out outrun Torn-T and Greninja pre-transformation. Ice Shard pressure also gives you a failsafe against Scarf Lando which the team doesn't really handle too well. Also provides you with a handy-dandy Puruit-trapper, which are always useful.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

So, what I would run:
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Hope this helps.

Hey, I like this team. Using Bee to soften up the opposition and make cleaning easier is pretty much how i played with the original team, so I'm glad that theme is still present. If there's anything I'd change, I'd give Greninja enough EVs to guarantee the OHKO on Mega Zam with U-turn, especially since Kartana already falls to Magnezone (EDIT: I removed what was here) but idk whether that would ruin Ice Beam's strength, so, experimentation needed. In the meantime, here's a replay of my first test of this team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1104408416

Last edited:
Upon further consideration, Zam's immunity to Stealth Rock means that i'm gonna run the 200/56/252 spread for greninja, since Ice Beam is a ohko on kartana after stealth rock with the 56 evs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)