SM OU OU Mega Mawile Team

INTRODUCTION
This is my first OU team that I've built by myself. Volcarona is basically my starter and sets up. I basically just made a switch in for each pokemon, and I'm also a beginnner, so any constructive comments would help.

THE TEAM
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
This is the standard mega Mawile set. One swords dance can obliterate with sucker punch and sweep the whole team. Play Rough is the obligatory STAB move (which is also devastating after a Swords Dance), and Iron head is just for when other fairy types come in and try to get a play. Not much to say about this beast.
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch​
Rotom-W is my physical wall and also a switch in for mega mawile. It basically just tanks out all those pesky physical sweepers. Hydro pump is when we switch in on a fire type/ground type and bang them with it. Pain split is for the heal up and stalling. Volt switch is for switching out when a grass type comes in. Will o wisp is just for chip damage.
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall​
Azumarill is fantastic sweeper, typically the riskier play but much faster to set up and stronger afterward. Pretty simple plan, Belly Dance for the boost then Aqua Jet everything that isn't tanky enough to survive while Play Rough and Knock Off do a better job handling the rest. Sitrus Berry is to offset the Belly Dance cost, making it significantly safer to use.
Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz​
Volcarona is the starter for our team, with Quiver Dance for boosting its already amazing Special Attack stat, alongside Special Defense and Speed, Fiery dance provides a special attack boost and destroys grass types like ferrothorn before it can set up rocks.. Giga Drain is for Pokemon like Hippowdon and Water Types. Overall, this is a very great special sweeper because of its speed and power.
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast​
Hydreigon is my other special sweeper. With its high spatk and decent speed, choice scarf makes it amazing. It also gives a good use for u-turn just in case a counter comes in. This destroys Mega Salamence and OHKO's ferrothorn. Very amazing switch in to have just in case a Salamence and/or other dragon types come in.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost​
Lastly we have Gliscor. This is the star of my team. It basically comes in on a special attacker and walls the life out of it. It's toxic move is for poison stalling with roost which heals it when the opponent is poison. I invested a little attack into it so it can give more power on the earthquake. Overall, you cannot go wrong with this pokemon.

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Hey PhoKiing, I noticed that you haven't gotten feedback on your team yet so I figured I'd try to help you out. You have a really unique team, but it suffers from quite a few weaknesses; notably, Belly Drum Azumarill is very hard to pull off in OU and requires a lot of team support to function properly, and Hydreigon is a subpar method of Speed control in OU. However, I do think that your team could turn out to be really solid with a few changes.

=========================

First, let's talk about some key Pokemon that threaten your team:

A Choice Scarf Hydreigon is easy to take advantage of because Pokemon like Magearna can come in on one of its locked STAB moves and proceed to do as it likes from there - Shift Gear, Calm Mind, or attack. Volcarona is a decent countermeasure but it gets really shaky if Stealth Rock are on the field and Magearna is already set up.

Tapu Lele in general is a very hard Pokemon for offensive teams to face because Psychic hits everything hard, even most things that resist it. As is, your team is almost entirely outspeed by Tapu Lele and Mega Mawile really doesn't want to come in more than once against it.

Although on paper you might not seem the weakest against Ash-Greninja, Hydreigon having no form of recovery and Azumarill being Belly Drum will eventually leave you prone to getting swept rather easily.

Physical attackers that can beat Rotom-W are also annoying since you rely entirely on pivoting to beat these; for example, Medicham can outspeed everything with the exception of Hydreigon and click HJK/Ice Punch pretty freely.

Next, we'll take a look at some changes that you can make to remedy these weaknesses:

When using Volcarona, hazard control is your number one priority. You have Gliscor but I'm going to be removing it in a bit, so I'm giving Rotom-W Defog since it can beat a lot of common Stealth Rock setters in the tier. You can decide whether you want to give up Pain Split or WoW for this, but I'm going to use it over Pain Split and give Rotom a Iapapa Berry to somewhat make up for it.

>

Like I mentioned before, Azumarill takes a lot of support to function properly, especially when using it alongside Volcarona, another Pokemon that requires a lot of support. Assault Vest Magearna provides this team with quite a bit of breathing room against some aforementioned troublesome Pokemon like Tapu Lele, non Pain Split Magearna, and Ash-Greninja. Magearna can get worn down rather easily over the course of the game but it's much better than having to let one of your other Pokemon take a chunk of damage.

Life Orb Volcarona is not a good set - if you're aiming to sweep with it, you're better off going with the standard Quiver Dance + Buginium Z set. It looks like you wanted to use 3 attacks instead of bulky Volcarona, so that's the set that I'll include in the import.

>

Hydreigon's niche in OU is its ability to check Pokemon like Ash-Greninja and Heatran thanks to its unique typing, but you're taking away its selling point by giving it a Choice Scarf. You can play around with items but I'm suggesting a 3 attacks + Roost set with a Metronome so you can check the previous Pokemon more easily. A Metronome allows you to break through certain walls like Toxapex easier, which can help out Volcarona.

>

Now that I removed Hydreigon's Choice Scarf, you're in need of more Speed control. Choice Scarf Landorus-T > Gliscor is a pretty straightforward fix. You lose out on Gliscor's ability to check Heatran but Rotom-W + Hydreigon should be sufficient for that and Landorus-T offers slightly more breathing room vs certain physical attackers. Standard moveset with Defog in the final slot to help remove hazards if Rotom-W can't.

Below is the new team after the changes:

(I'm clickable!)

The team is pretty slow for OU standards, but this was pretty hard to fix given the initial version of the team. I tried to keep the style of the new team as close as possible to the original and definitely think this version is pretty solid overall. Make sure you check the new importable of the team, since there were some smaller tweaks that I also made (replaced Iron Head on Mawile, Rotom-W's EVs, all can be found in SmogDex).

As for new threats to the team, the loss of Gliscor makes
extremely annoying to face, so we'll hope that gets banned so we don't have to worry about it :psyduck: On a real note, it's hard to fix this issue without placing a Tangrowth & changing one or two more members, so just play really aggressively as luckily it doesn't come in safely on anything.
with Toxic can status both Hydreigon + Rotom-W and wear them down over game so try to keep that in mind when playing around it. Lastly,
is still extremely hard to switch into due to the slow nature of the team - a bulky Volcarona might help you out slightly against this if you want to go down that route.

Hope my advice helped - test out the team & don't hesitate to test out even more changes that you might like. PM me if you have any questions & gl! :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)