Project OU Next Best Thing: Cycle 87 - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unaware by Steel With It
Even though I think that every Unaware set needs a boosting move, but I really like that somebody posted a set with Unaware (Magic Guard is usually better, but Unaware is still a good ability).

On a side note I really liked the fact that Clefable was the subject test of this week: it has so many useful moves and abilities that I would have had the possibility to post more sets.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:ss/clefable:

And the voting is over now! By its results, the winner of the Cycle 6 is Wish + Teleport by Empress Mobile. Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame soon. Time to start the next Cycle!

Cycle Seven - Kommo-o
:ss/kommo-o:

The clanger is here!! Kommo-o boasts rather wide movepool and decent all-around stats, allowing it to effectively run multiple different sets. The physically defensive one is the main now, checking dangerous Pokemon like Terrakion, Excadrill, and non-Play Rough Zeraora while also providing some nice utility in Stealth Rock. Alternatively, Kommo-o can run an all-out offensive set with Clangorous Soul, being a cool fit for hyper offenses and absolutely tearing apart unprepared or weakened teams. Kommo-o's potential goes way beyond these two sets; make a great use of it guys and show us some real hot stuff!

Banned Sets
:leftovers:|

The deadline is Wednesday 4th of March. Good luck!​

Katy

Banned deucer.
endure + bulk up

:ss/Kommo-o:
Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Endure

- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch / Ice Punch

this set aims at full setup opportunities for kommo-o. it has bulk up + endure with salac berry to gain a speed boost after a bulk up with endure, when kommo-o gets attacked specially, since after bulk up it won't go down that easily through physically attacking moves.

its stab in drain punch is to get some health back and it can use either thunder punch to break through water types such as toxapex or flying types such as corviknight or ice punch to be able to hit dragapult better.

the speed ivs are to outspeed max timid/jolly invested necrozma to be able to attack it first and this speed creeps many pkmn in the base 60 to 85 range so its guaranteed to get up a move first. the remaining evs are put into hp to have some bulk for kommo-o to have some adavantage to tank some hits better.​

Last edited:
Reserving sub BD

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof / Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake / Thunder Punch
- Substitute
- Belly Drum

A popular set on HO last gen, BD Kommo is still a threat this gen, with its abilities giving it good setup opportunities including cinderace and choice locked pults for bulletproof, and soundproof being an option to surprise hyper voice sylv and toxtricity (Bulletproof is the best choice tho). Drain punch is the stab of choice due to the healing effect, while EQ hits ghosts such as aegislash, pult and gengar, while tpunch is an option if togekiss annoys you heavily while still hitting pex. EVs make HP divisible by 4 so salac activates.

Last edited:
Dragon Dance

:sm/kommo-o:

Kommo-o @ Roseli Berry
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw / Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Dragon Dance is an interesting matchup polarizer in SS OU, capable of winning against many of the current bulky and splashable mons in the metagame. The main sets of advantages come with its excellent bulk, giving it multiple setup opportunities and the ability to be a decent offensive check to Zeraora. The main issue however, is that it needs both Poison Jab and Roseli Berry to have a chance of winning against Clefable, which severely botches its matchups against other Pokemon like Toxapex, Aegislash and Dragapult. If you can find a core that has solid durability against Dragapult, this set will do you fine. The 40 HP evs are to live 3 Night Shades (if ever relevant) and tank two Life Orb Close Combats from Zeraora.

Last edited:
Sub Clangerous Soul

1583091898311.gif

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Substitute
-Clangerous Soul
-Clanging Scales / Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower

I lost to this set on the ladder over a month ago and I’ve loved it ever since. The idea is to turn passive mons into setup fodder by taking advantage of the defense boosts provided by Clangerous Soul in conjunction with Substitute. The most notable example is Pixilate Sylveon, which this set hard counters. Simply Clangerous Soul on their switch, get up a Substitute, then gradually gain HP through lefties recovery while chipping with Flamethrower. After a couple boosts you kill everything.

Modest Nature for extra firepower and particularly threatening Toxapex more so it has more trouble clicking Haze. EVs are the same deal, maximizing speed and power, but alternatively some speed can be moved into bulk. Just keep enough to outrun Dragapult and Zeraora at +1. Clanging Scales hits harder while Dragon Pulse doesn’t drop defense, has more PP, and beats opposing Soundproof Kommo-o.

This set cannot beat bulky fairy-types like Clefable and Hatterene unless they’re severely weakened, so pair this with something that forces them to take heavy damage or traps them. Ensure that Kommo-o does not get hit by any status conditions, and don’t try to set up until the late-game once its checks have been dealt with.

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

This is nothing special and a really simple spin on the standard Kommo-o, but Taunt is a decent option on it that's definitely notable. Most notably, it allows Kommo-o to shut down Toxapex quite well; it can also prove to be useful against Stealth Rock users like Seismitoad.

Last edited:

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Kommo-o @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Autotomize
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Flamethrower

Some fun on screens teams. Honestly, its just a riskier dd/clang kommo, but if u get the setup off u gonna go ham

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Kommo-o @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Body Press
- Dragon Tail / Protect / Iron Defense / Screech
- Toxic
- Taunt

taunt tox strikes again! Opting for max def max speed spreads cause you want speed to outspeed standard walls (or you could ev it to outspeed max base 60s but I like this spread for its simplicity lmao). Taunt tox imo requires max speed to work efficiently against fatter squads and flamethrower is there to ensure you don’t get fatfucked by steels. Dragon tail is for you to use if you have a meltan. have a way to remove steels

edit: asked my friend who uses this set frequently, his suggestion is to cut flamethrower cause it’s ass and use protect to scout moves and get free lefties. Can opt to use iron defense if you’d like. Bulletproof helps against ferro so it’s the better option.

edit edit: well, I tested it out in a couple of games and I think screech is a rlly interesting add on since it’s allows you to force out things like ferro and friends

Last edited:
Kommo-o @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Body Press
- Dragon Tail / Protect / Iron Defense
- Toxic
- Taunt

taunt tox strikes again! Opting for max def max speed spreads cause you want speed to outspeed standard walls (or you could ev it to outspeed max base 60s but I like this spread for its simplicity lmao). Taunt tox imo requires max speed to work efficiently against fatter squads and flamethrower is there to ensure you don’t get fatfucked by steels. Dragon tail is for you to use if you have a meltan. have a way to remove steels

edit: asked my friend who uses this set frequently, his suggestion is to cut flamethrower cause it’s ass and use protect to scout moves and get free lefties. Can opt to use iron defense if you’d like. Bulletproof helps against ferro so it’s the better option.
isn't lefties banned?

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
isn't lefties banned?
If you press on the lefties img, a pastebin pops up showing you what the actual sets are that are banned. Basically standard stealth rocks lefties and throat spray 3 attacks kommo-o are banned. Mine is taunttox lefties so it should be fine. Otherwise half of the clef set nominations would’ve been moot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)