Project OU Next Best Thing: Cycle 87 - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
:ss/scizor:

The voting phase is over! We got a lot of votes this cycle, thank you! By the results, the winner of cycle 30 is Choice Scarf by ThelordofbadRNG. Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame soon. Now, let's move on to the next cycle!

Cycle Thirty-One - Tyranitar
:ss/tyranitar:

For most of the generation so far, Tyranitar was mostly seen holding a Choice Band, as it gives it the power to blow massive holes in the opposing team. Despite that, the loss of Pursuit was quite unkind to it, as it fell to UU for the first time ever. Recently however, it has risen back to the upper echelons of the OU metagame with its specially defensive utility set, which provides a sturdy check to various threats like Volcarona, Rotom-H, Dragapult, and Togekiss, while supporting its teammates with sand and Stealth Rock. It's still seen putting in work with Choice Band too. Do you have any other sets you'd like to showcase? Let's see it!

Banned Sets
:heavy-duty boots: | :leftovers: | :chople berry: | :choice band:
(I swear all these slashes are valid)

The deadline is Sunday 13th of September. Good luck!​

Katy

Banned deucer.
good old assault vest

:bw/Tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

- Crunch

av ttar tanks alot of hits: it can help against the rare life orb clefable and it can also help against the thriving volcarona-variants, heavy slam 2hkoes offensive clefable, hatterene, and togekiss and rock slide ohkoes any volcarona-variant. crunch hits gengar, dragapult and aegislash super effective, whereas earthquake hits toxtricity and dracozolt.​

Last edited:

ThelordofbadRNG

Banned deucer.
Reserving Substitute+Focus Punch

SubPunch Tyranitar

:dp/tyranitar:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers / Expert Belt
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 176 SpA / 52 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Fire Blast / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Blizzard / Thunder
- Heavy Slam / Stone Edge

This is a set meant to lure common Pokemon that would otherwise take advantage of Tyranitar such as Rillaboom, Toxapex, Hippowdon and Urshifu-S. It is also an excellent lure for common fairies like Clefable and the rising Hatterene. The first two moves are rather obvious but it depends on what you want to hit with your last two slots. Heavy Slam 2HKOs Clefable and Hatterene while Stone Edge lets Tyranitar beat Volcarona. Fire Blast with the speed and HP EVs lets TTar take one body press from Corviknight and 2HKO back and OHKOs Rillaboom on the switch. Ice Beam is meant for Hippowdon though you could also hit a stray Mandibuzz. Thunderbolt hits Toxapex and 2HKOs, not having to worry about the burn from Scald. You also hit Azumarill and Primarina for a decent chunk. You can run Earthquake for Toxtricity and Excadrill but these three moves hit more overall. 252 HP lets TTar abuse Blissey by not having its substitute broken from a seismic toss and do massive damage with Focus Punch afterwards. 176 Special Attack with a Mild nature 2HKOs Corviknight with Fire Blast and is a nice benchmark where you 2HKO almost everything but still have enough for the Corv creep. 52 Speed EVs lets TTar creep Corviknight and anything else around that range. 28 Atk lets TTar 2HKO phys def Clefable and Hatterene guaranteed. Bulkier teams usually have problems dealing with this set thanks to the coverage and Substitute easing prediction, letting you lure and 2HKO Pokemon like Amoonguss and all the others I've already mentioned. You can run Stealth Rock on a slot thanks to your offensive presence but this is generally subpar on a set like this. This set can be tailored according to your team, you could even run wackier options like Hydro Pump to hit Hippowdon harder and just meme a Rotom-Heat that thought you couldn't touch it with anything but Focus Punch.

28 Atk Tyranitar Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 200-236 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
28 Atk Tyranitar Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Hatterene: 178-210 (55.9 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
28 Atk Tyranitar Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 514-606 (71.9 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
176+ SpA Tyranitar Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
176+ SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Corviknight: 162-192 (40.5 - 48%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
176+ SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 266-314 (78 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
176+ SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 214-254 (49.6 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
28 Atk Tyranitar Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 282-334 (82.6 - 97.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

A lot of these iffier calcs are guaranteed with an ebelt though that sacrifices longevity which is why you might want to pair this set with a wishpasser. It's 5 am as I'm writing this so I might have forgotten a lot of things for which I apologize. I hope you, the reader liked this set. Have a good day! ^~^​

Last edited:
Block Setup
block.png
block.png

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 60 Def / 140 SpD / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Block
- Substitute / Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide​

This set can take advantage of some of the more annoying bulky Pokemon in the current meta and trap them, and use those turns to set up a couple dragon dances. First of all, about the EVs: The speed allows it to outspeed un-invested Corviknights, which lets it taunt Corviknights who might try to taunt you, if you opt to run taunt. As long as Corviknight doesn't have Body Press or Iron Head, Tyranitar is able to set up on it, and it can Block it if it doesn't U-turn. 8 Attack EVs makes +2 Rock Slide a roll in favor of 2HKOing Corviknight with 252 HP and 28 Def.

+2 8 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Corviknight: 195-231 (48.7 - 57.7%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

140 SpDef Ensures that 0 SpA Amoonguss' Giga Drain does not break sub in sand, which is also more than enough for Toxapex's Scald.

0 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 140 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 84-98 (20.8 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 248 HP / 140 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 62-74 (15.3 - 18.3%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

Then I put 248 EVs into HP, and the rest into Defense.

As for Pokemon that this set can set up on: As mentioned before, certain Corviknights, Amoonguss, Toxapex, Mandibuzz without U-turn, Blissey (Seismic Toss is not able to break sub with 248 HP EVs [see below]) Chansey, (The same as Blissey), Skarmory without Whirlwind, SubTox Aegislash, Alakazam, Ferrothorn and Gengar without super effective moves (although Gengar won't be blocked), and any other Pokemon that has locked itself into a move unable to do significant damage to Tyranitar.

In addition, this set checks Volcarona (For sure at +1, if it's Bug Buzz and +2 it's a roll in Tyranitar's favor; see below), and choice locked Pokemon like Hydreigon and Dragapult.

Blissey Seismic Toss vs. 248 HP Tyranitar: 100-100 (24.8 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 140 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 354-416 (87.8 - 103.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

tyranitar @ expert belt | sand stream
mild | 80 atk / 160 spa / 56 spd / 212 spe
- stone edge / rock blast
- crunch / fire blast / thunder
- fire blast / thunder / heavy slam
- heavy slam / sneaky pebbles / ice beam

as of the time this post is going up, the flavor of the month tyranitar sets are specially defensive sr variants built to check special menaces like volcarona or choice band sets designed to break holes in enemy teams with raw physical strength alone. what this tyranitar set aims to do is exploit players expecting one of those two by bluffing one of those sets. the evs are customizable depending on what you want to beat up on and outpace. the given ev spread creeps 56 spe mandibuzz while the spd investment allows tyranitar to live +1 volcarona's bug buzz from full hp. the given spa investment + expert belt guarantees that tyranitar can 2hko 252 / 228+ corviknight, 248 / 92 amoonguss, and 252 / 244+ assault vest tangrowth with an expert belt-boosted fire blast.

as for moves, you pick and choose the coverage you want based on your team's needs. the moves slashed here are those i found to be the most consistent overall. imo, rock stab is pretty much mandatory to immediately threaten volcarona, mandibuzz, kyurem, and rotom-h. stone edge has more immediate power while rock blast can be used to edge past substitute. crunch is useful as ever to threaten dragapult, gengar, and aegislash. meanwhile, fire blast clips the steel birds, ferrothorn, and the fat regenerator grasses (amoonguss, tangrowth) while thunder can be used to clap fat waters such as the pex (even 252 / 252+ variants of the pex get 2hkoed by an expert belt-boosted thunder!) and slowbro. the accuracy leaves something to be desired, but the power is well worth the risk. heavy slam, well, slams clefable with a 2hko. sneaky pebbles are nice on tyranitar, especially if you're trying to bluff the more specially defensive set, but another coverage move can be used if another teammate is the designated pebble setter. hydro pump is a more niche option if you really want to get rid of hippowdon and the rare rhyperior while retaining your ability to wreck rotom-h, even after being burnt.

Last edited:
:bw/tyranitar:
Parashuffler Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Rock Slide
-Thunder Wave
-Dragon Tail / Roar
-Earthquake​

Designed to switch into Volcarona repeatedly, scare it out with Rock Slide, and cripple whatever the opponent switches into with Thunder Wave. Phasing options help punish switchins further, especially with hazards support. Dragon Tail for damage or Roar for substitute and fairies. EQ has good neutral coverage with Rock Slide and dumpsters any electric that thinks coming in on Thunder Wave is safe.

Reserving Specs Tyranitar

:ss/Tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt / Earth Power
- Dark Pulse / Ice Beam / Ancient Power

Well a bit late now, but here it is, Specs Tyranitar. Tyranitar's switch-ins are primarily fat steel types or things like Amoongus, Hippo, Pex and so on. This set absolutely cooks those switches. Acting as a surprise wallbreaker, this thing can pack a punch on a super-effective hit and each option provides different coverage.

Fire Blast and Hydro Pump are staples of the set. Fire Blast lets you nuke Ferrothorn and things like Skarm and Corviknight. Hydro Pump gives you a solid chance to OHKO Hippo, deal with pesky fire types, especially sun teams, while also allowing you to deal decently with Volcarona (though not as well as standard TTar). The last two slots are dealer's choice. Thunderbolt / Ice Beam gives you the feared boltbeam coverage to hit pretty much the entire metagame. Dark Pulse gives you a solid STAB move to press for a midground. Earth Power let's you hit things like Magnezone, while also allowing you to hit things like Pex and grounded fire types on sun teams. Generally, a mix of Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Dark Pulse has given me the best results.

If you really hate Volcarona, and like memes, Ancient Power can also be utilised, though I recommend against it.

Maximum SpA Modest to hit as hard as possible, with maximum speed EVs to outspeed base 60s running neutral natures like Aegislash and Magnezone, also lets you speed creep Scizor that run enough speed to hit 220.

Last edited:
download.jpg

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 12 Atk / 76 Def / 196 SpD / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge / Rock STAB
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Blast​

I'm not a fan of defensive/utility Tyranitar. I understand it's solid, but I like my Tyranitars to delete HP bars faster than CBB deleted bengay in SWC semis. So I present Polish Policy Tyranitar, a breaker/sweeper/cleaner set that takes advantage of Tyranitar's bulk to shrug off super effective hits, set up, and win. The moveset consists of pretty standard coverage, Fire Blast covers Rocky Helmet walls like Ferro, Skarm, and Tang, and secures 2HKOs or OHKOs without need for investment. The rock move is up to preference, but putting Stone Edge on Tyranitar is like breathing for me at this point.

The EVs are actually pretty flexible depending on your needs. 224 Spe Jolly creeps Scarf Togekiss at +2, 230 creeps +1/Scarf Gyarados, but I don't see it enough to warrant the extra EVs.

12 Atk allows Tyranitar to 2HKO defensive Clef at +2. Keep in mind that neutral, 0 Atk EV Tyranitar at +2 still has more Atk than CB, so I shouldn't need to explain how hard this will hit.

The Def and SpD EVs are probably the most flexible. As it is, Tyranitar will survive +1 Offensive QD Volc Bug Buzz in sand after rocks 100%. For those curious, 52 EVs will survive 100% of the time from full with no hazards.

The 76 Def EVs give you a favorable roll to survive against +0 Azumarill liquidation after rocks, but honestly these EVs were the leftovers. If you want to dump them into SpA to go after OHKOs on Amoongus at +2 you can, but you'll need to borrow more EVs from other stats since it takes around 100 to get 95-105% damage.

Proof of Concept:
1: Peak Polish Policy Tyranitar. It may not sweep all 6, but it may as well have seeing how it ended.
2: This Tyranitar matches up poorly against a team like this, with rush Drill and Kommo-o. Even still Tyranitar manages to pivot in and get a key kill on Primarina.
3. A great example of cleaner Tyranitar. Fire Blast on Urshifu was a near even roll with no crit.
4. Couldn't let voting start without posting a clean 6-0

In testing, I have devised more concrete options for alternative EV spreads based on the strengths and flaws of the original.
Polish Policy Mk. II:
EVs: 12 Atk / 100 Def / 172 SpD / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
This spread takes a chunk out of the at times overkill Spd stat, and shifts it to Spa by way of a nature change, and Def by way of a EV shift. The reasons for these changes was that Fire Blast wasn't quite as strong as I had hoped, and that I'm seeing Rillaboom so much that I wanted extra defense.

Polish Warhead:
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
This spread sacrifices all bulk investment for pure damage. The options to set up with are far more limited, but this set has 734 Atk at +2.

Last edited:
tyranitar.gif
Screech Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Screech
- Fire Punch

Screech is not Swords Dance, but it really pressures your opponent considering the Atk stat of Tyranitar. Keep in mind that Unaware users are affected by this status move.
Albeit 85% accuracy is not that good, it is good enough to work with.
Unfortunately, there Pursuit is not available anymore, but I think that this set is still good.
One selling point to Screech is the fact that it helps to bypass resistances, so you don't suffer 4MMS too much with "only" 3 attacking moves (dual STABs+Fire Punch for coverage). Also, you can spam Screech on predicted switch-outs so your incoming slower "checks" are not that safe from Tyranitar.

The EVs spread is a basic fast&offensive one, but even a defensive one works pretty well.

Lum Berry is here in order to prevent some annoying status from stopping us in our tracks.

Last edited:
Mixed Life Orb Tyranitar, aka. my pet project DemonTar!

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 Atk / 192 SpA / 80 Spe
Rash Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Heavy Slam
- Hydro Pump / Earth Power

Speed EVs are for Skarmory and Bulk Up Corviknight. Attack/SpA EVs can be customized to push for OHKOs on Clefable and Togekiss with Heavy Slam. Crunch is safe and relatively spammable. Fire Blast is crucial because it OHKOs or 2HKOs all the Steels and Grasses. Earth Power can be run to 2HKO Pex while Hydro Pump can smack Hippo and Rotom-H hilariously hard or to just troll the living daylights out of a Rotom-H thinking it crippled you with a burn.

Pick your coverage option, adapt your EVs a tiny bit if you want to lure in specific targets, click buttons, and laugh as you 2HKO almost every defensive mon in OU on the switch and bluff like three different movesets in the process.

192+ SpA Life Orb Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 351-413 (105 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
192+ SpA Life Orb Tyranitar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 343-406 (81.6 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Life Orb Tyranitar Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 304-359 (77.1 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
192+ SpA Life Orb Tyranitar Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 159-187 (52.3 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
192+ SpA Life Orb Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 463-546 (131.5 - 155.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
192+ SpA Life Orb Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 281-333 (65.1 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Black Sludge recovery

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
WP rock polish

I love Mixed Ebelt, Block and SubPunch, but this set was my favorite to use.

Kudos to everybody for the cool sets this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)