Project Next Best Thing | [Old]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beraldo

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
reserving colbur berry SD mew

Mew @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 88 HP / 180 Atk / 68 SpD / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Soft-Boiled

180+ Atk Mew Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 136-160 (42.1 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 180+ Atk Mew Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 268-316 (82.9 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 88 HP / 68 SpD Mew: 153-181 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and trapping damage
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 88 HP / 68 SpD Colbur Berry Mew: 207-244 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 180+ Atk Mew Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja-Ash: 388-458 (136.1 - 160.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 180+ Atk Mew Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Ferrothorn: 214-254 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
180+ Atk Mew Drain Punch vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 264-312 (73.1 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 88 HP / 8 Def Colbur Berry Mew: 219-258 (60.3 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage
+2 180+ Atk Mew Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 199-235 (70.8 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 88 HP / 8 Def Mew in Grassy Terrain: 202-238 (55.6 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

broken yn

Last edited:
Wallbreaker Mew

V1:
Mew @ Mewnium Z
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast

V2:
Mew @ Mewnium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot / Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute

This set, with its two variations, is designed to take advantage of Mew's powerful signature Z move and good coverage while not sacrificing a significant amount of bulk, which is a drawback of Mew's "Double Dance" set. Instead, they forgo immense speed in favor of longevity and an improved matchup against bulkier builds.

The former is simply NP + 3 attacks with Mewnium Z. Psychic for STAB and the Z move, Dazzling Gleam hits Mega Sableye and other Dark-types (such as Gren on the switch), and Flamethrower torches the Steel-types that resist the former moves. Offensive Heatran already gets nuked by +2 Genesis Supernova. The EV spread runs maximum Special Attack along with a Modest nature for firepower and enough Speed to outrun maximum speed Magearna. The rest goes into HP for bulk.

The latter variant uses Substitute over a third coverage move, providing additional safety at the cost of beating many Steel-types. Pairing this set with Magnezone can fix this to an extent. Mew now has full HP investment, enabling it to have its Substitute survive Seismic Toss. The Speed outruns Magearna as before, and the rest is dumped into Special Attack. Calm Mind can be used over Nasty Plot if bulk is preferred over power.

Edit: Counting Sheep I am aware of this, but because that set is NP + 2 attacks + Rock Polish / Softboiled while mine is NP + 3 attacks (or NP + 2 attacks + Sub) and has a different EV spread and purpose (breaker instead of sweeper) I believe mine is distinct enough to be legal. If anyone can confirm or deny my position that would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Mew @ Mewnium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Fire Blast / Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Softboiled

Double Dance Mew is the more known offensive set, but Softboiled NP Mew is a cool wallbreaker that has more longevity vs bulkier teams, helping it to stay healthy through the match and finding more opportunities to wallbreak. The coverage move is picked basing on what you want to have a easier time breaking; Fire Blast allows you to break M-Scizor, Celesteela, Magearna and Jirachi better while Focus Blast get rids of Tyranitar, Greninja and Heatran (as long as you hit).
  • Please do not reserve a set that currently has an analysis or is in the process of being created.
It's a really cool set that I wanted to build around in the past, but just letting you know: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mew-revamp-qc-0-3.3638540/

Got to Get You Into My Life - Earth, Wind & Fire

Thank you everyone for another cool week of submissions! I really loved the creativity of the submissions this week, especially the offensive variants. Keep up the great work guys! Speaking of great work, I know that some of you might have a genuine spark for this project, but i'll kindly ask everyone to leave the admin for me to handle with. Thanks for caring about the thread though, it means a lot to me that you guys genuinely care about it. Anyways, on to this week's nominees:

@

Normalium Z + Transform by nameless90
@

Choice Scarf by Jucherz
@

Knock Off Defensive by Flame from Heaven
@

Aoa Life Orb by Qplaz
@

Softboiled + Nasty Plot (alternatively Stallbreaker) by Askov
@

sd colbur by BeralRed2103
@

np + 3 attacks by JTD783

regarding JTD783 's submissions, since you can only post one set per week, I will wait until you can confirm which set you would like to submit. Voting deadline is on Monday the 6th of August. Happy Posting!

Last edited:
Before I conclude this week, I'd like to address this recent increase in people quoting my ruleset. Now, I'm all for everyone being involved with the thread, but it is my job as the project's host to conduct the administration and the moderate this project, meaning that I decide what it accepted and what is not. While I appreciate your enthusiasm, please leave the administrative details to me. With that being said, I'm honestly tired of reminding everyone that they are indeed not the host, so let me make this straight, one final time - anyone else who decides to mini-mod will be blacklisted from this project. I will also be adding this rule to the OP. There will be no more warnings regarding this rule. Thank you for cooperating.

Got to Get You Into My Life - Earth, Wind & Fire
Anyways, now that that has been addressed, I'd like to thank everyone for another excellent week! This week, our winner is Askov and his Nasty Plot + Softboiled Mew! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame eventually.

Father and Son - Cat Stevens

will be filled out later, go ham until saturday!

Bulk Up + SD (DoubleDance) Tapu Bulu

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 224 HP / 216 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Bulk Up

Synthesis is a decent recovery move, but not in an environment with Pelipper, Alola Ninetales and Tyranitar that cut the HP gained back and 8 PP hurts a lot.
I'd really like to use Bulk Up, which I found very useful in order to set up in front of physical threats like Landorus-T in order to handle better them.
With Bulk Up you can also use Superpower even twice in a row, which is very useful if you want to keep some staying power.

EVs spread is stolen from the dex: "224 HP EVs and 216 Special Defense EVs coupled with a Careful nature allow Tapu Bulu to survive Heatran's Magma Storm and Tornadus-T's Hurricane from full health after Stealth Rock damage, with the remainder of the EVs put in Speed".

All the threats weak 4x to rock needs to be knocked out or we need SR in the battlefield before attempting a set-up because they can kill Tapu Bulu with ease.

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. +1 224 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 128-152 (37.9 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

@curiosity: Sorry, but is it possible to write another creative set? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Defensive Roar Bulu

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 188 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Superpower/Stone Edge/Protect
- Roar/Whirlwind

Roar is the real change here (or whirlwind if u enjoy its animation more). This allows you to set up vs physical attackers, and if you see they are packing a counter like Kyu-B, Tornadus, etc, you can pre-emptively roar them out. It only really works if you have hazards on their side of the field, but you can rack up a bunch of hazard damage if so. The third moveslot depends on what your team needs most.

Rockium Z Bulu

Like a Hurricane (Tapu Bulu) @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 108 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

This set saw some usage back in the day but is frequently overlooked in favor of Specially Defensive SD Bulu. However, meta trends have improved Rockium Z's viability. Tornadus-Therian and Mega Latios usage is rising, while Zapdos and Tangrowth are also very common. Z Stone Edge crushes all of these, with even Physically Defensive Tangrowth taking up to 80% from +2 Continental Crush. Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss also fall and Mega Charizard X and Y and Volcarona are simply annihilated.

While this set can still hit Steel-types for heavy damage, it performs better when supported by Choice Scarf Magnezone, which is a solid mon in the meta. Between the two of them, many balance and stall teams crumble. Bulu, as always, still keeps offense staples like Ash Greninja and Zygarde in check. The set maximizes power, runs enough Speed for Defensive Lando and CB Tyranitar, and puts the remaining EVs in Special Defense to better handle Ash Gren.

Also, 1_TrickPhony, Whirlwind is objectively better than Roar because it cannot be blocked by Soundproof Pokemon. Roar should never be used over Whirlwind.

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Also, 1_TrickPhony, Whirlwind is objectively better than Roar because it cannot be blocked by Soundproof Pokemon. Roar should never be used over Whirlwind.
Thanks for the heads up, did not ever consider that. In an OU environment, its seems like theres no difference, as the only mon semi viable in OU w/ soundproof (Kommo-O) rightfully uses bulletproof instead.

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
Scarf Bulu's kind of been considered by some people as a meme set, but with some tests its been decent. This mon isnt super great or anything, and you can drop to some hits ur expecting to take with SpDef Bulu, but you can check Gren and Koko ok, and surprise mons like Protean Greninja since they often pump thinking they can Gunk after anyway, as well as surprising Torn + Heatran. Zam running Modest is also huge for you since our speeding that is big. You need to remove a fair deal for Tapu Bulu to clean though like Tangrowth and steels and Latis and stuff, but if you teambuild right you can kind of do so. It fits pretty decently with Lop Gren going around since you anyway try to wear down grasses and stuff. You are pretty abysmal as a Zygarde check though so you need a secondary check.

Last edited:

Thank you for another cool week! I'd like to apologise for the relative delay, as I was going through a few exams. Fortunately I am here and here is the end of this week. Also if you want to reserve something else, please pm me rather than editing your post. Edited posts do not notifiy the user. No without further ado, here's this week's nominees:

==
@
==
Double Dance by nameless90
==
@
==
Defensive Phazer by 1_TrickPhony
==
@
==
Rockium Z by JTD783
====
@
==
Choice Scarf by
shitlord Anish
Voting ends on Monday the 20th. Happy Posting!

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
As a user of rockium z myself, I'll have to give it to that set, such a good lure for stuff like the zards, zapdos, torn t (on the switch of course)

Thank you everyone for voting this week! For the first time in the history of the next best thing, we have had a unanimous vote in the favour of Rockim! Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the hall of fame shortly. Hopefully we can get some more votes this week, but for the meantime, you'll be getting a complete revamp of the hall of fame, phase transitions and our next submission:

Blackstar - David Bowie

To celebrate the 20th week of this thread's revolution conception, this week's "case study" is Hoopa! Although Hoopa has suffered from recent OLT meta trends, it still stands out as a fantastic wallbreaker, thanks to its gargantuan offensive stats, combined with its fantastic movepool, excellent offensive typing and decent speed tier, which grants it the ability to pose as an fearsome offensive threat to the majority of bulkier builds, with fightinium nasty plot variants possessing the ability to singlehandedly decimate stall, notably being able to bypass all notable unaware users, as well other dedicated specially defensive walls, including Chansey, Magearna and the now rising Ferrothorn in addition to the many defensive cores that serve as the foundations of balance, with the most notable victims wait wrong thread being Toxapex, Celesteela and Tangrowth, which are all severely threatened by Hoopa. However, Hoopa also does suffer from quite a few notable flaws, namely its terrible physical bulk, which in tandem with its horrendous defensive typing and below-average speed stat, leaves it susceptible to pursuit trapping and offensive pressure in general, which subsequently results in a pretty terrible matchup versus offence.

Can you find a set that highlights Hoopa's fantastic niche or find something to fix its obvious flaws?
==
==
====

Here are your banned sets of the week.

Additional Rules:

Will be allowed for submission this week. Although you may not mention the user commonly associated with it.
Submissions close on Saturday the 25th. Happy Posting!

Z-Snatch Hoopa-U

Hoopa-Unbound @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Snatch
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt/Gunk Shot

Darkinium Z offers a good degree of flexibility when you run both a Dark-type offensive move and a status move of the same type.
In particular, Z-Snatch is good towards hyper offensive teams due to the +2 Spe in addition to the regular effect, which is really handy i.e. when you steal a predicted Dragon Dance or a recovery move.
Snatch + dark STAB + Darkinium Z was chosen over Trick + Psychic STAB + Psychium Z for the good utility offered by Snatch outside the use with the Z crystal.

Otherwise, if you don't need the extra Spe, you can opt for a Dark nuke towards bulkier teams.

Last edited:

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot / Fire Punch / Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Fire Punch / Drain Punch

While Hoopa's awkward speed tier might seem to be too high for an OTR 'Mon, I've always found it to be an underrated user of the move; it dunks on the offensive teams that usually dunk on it without hurting its matchup against bulkier teams, and Hyperspace Fury's secondary effect of breaking through Protect makes it a lot more difficult for the opponent to stall out your Room turns. Nice. *thumbs up* This is a standalone set that doesn't have to be run on full Room, but if it is, note that Magearna, A-Wak, Stakataka and Mega Camerupt all resist Bug and Fairy and love the free opportunities to switch in and wreak havoc.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The move+item choices could be a bit more streamlined on the OTR set, but having used it in semi-casual sets before it's honestly a pretty cool counterpick set if only because of its utterly stupid firepower, so yeah kudos on that one.

Anyway reserving Choice Scarf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)