Project OU Player of the Week #16: Kory2600

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion

Welcome to the SM version of OU Player of the Week! This project will feature interviews from some of the most accomplished and influential users in the tier so that we can learn more about them.
If there is a user that you would like to see interviewed be sure to let me know.
-------------

Kory2600

most known for: playing for OLT Playoffs right now, reached top 8 in ST24, have played in several smogon teamtours with an ok record (i think its 11-11 or 10-10 atm)
favorite pokemon: serperior
most used pokemon: tornadus-t

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself outside of Smogon?
I'm an 18 yr old Frenchie who lives in Saint-Etienne. I'm currently trying to get into an animation school right now in order to get a degree since I dropped school for private reasons. I'm someone who loves almost any type of sports (football, basketball, handball, tennis, badminton etc) and in fact I play basketball at a decent level right now (i also played football at a decent level but dropped because of medical reasons).

Where did you get your name from?
Kory is my IRL name and 2600 was supposed to be 260 aka a random number but someone stole my main acc so i just decided do create another account with a 0

How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon?
I started to play pokemon games with diamond/bw and i searched some tips to catch some pokemon on youtube. The youtuber i was looking at also played competitive mons "at her level" i would say without being like patronizing. I was curious of what competitive mons was so i just viewed one of his competitive videos and i was just fascinated by her vids (in fact i viewed like 15 of her other competitive vids on the same day lol) and i think you know what happened next : she linked in the description the site was called pokemonshowdown.com and i clicked it

What’s your favorite generation of OU and why?
I would say sm ou because that's where i started playing competitively on smogon or either the french community (i played oras on the ladder before sm came out but from what i remember it was super boring with stall n stuff so i wouldn't say oras, although i think oras is a better tier than sm right now). All that being said, the tiers a lot more fun rn than it was during SPL imo and i hope it will be more fun with some changes.

What’s your favorite playstyle to use and why?
I'm more comfortable with balance and bulky offense rn because i really like to make microplays which makes the game easier to me. I feel like when you play these type of teams, esp balance, microplays are way more important than just making a big play sometimes because that what gives you the upper hand on the longterm. If you're able to keep a sack thanks to your microplays for example, it makes a tough endgame really easier bc you know you have an extra sack. Thats the type of plays i like the most in pokemon and i'm able to do it with balance especially

What are your thoughts on the current metagame?
I think some mons like mega mawile are just ridiculous and should be at least suspected. Matchups are also really important which makes any capable player able to beat a strong player if they have the perfect matchup; i mean, any capable player can beat any player anyway but, sm has too many threats and you can't really prep for all of them without being weak to 1 or 2 of them.

Are there any Pokemon that you believe are overrated/underrated in the current metagame. Why?
Alakazam is the example of the overrated mon for me, ppl keep playing tran/pex bullshit and thats why zam works. Zam has a plenty of counterplay imo like trappers, toxic users etc and although don't get me wrong, its a good mon i don't think hes like a top tier mon at all. sg mag is one of the most scariest mons in this tier imo and i'm surprised to not see it that often. it can sets up very easily and destroy every team with the right moveset but i also get that it could also do nothing if your opp has the right mon to check it although you have 5 other mons to either try to lure it or try to win without the help on mag.

Which OLT matchups would you be most interested to watch? Who do you predict to make finals (or top 4)?
it would be interesting to see a matchup like Ojama vs ABR, Empo vs Kick or either Kick vs ABR/Empo/Ojama. I would predict the 4 mans i just mentioned to be the top 4 if i don't make it (Ojama, ABR, Kickasser, and Empo). Finals can be whatever (rooting for Kick and the kingpin though)

Which of the official tournament formats do you enjoy the most? Why do you enjoy that format?
I think the olt playoffs format is one of the format i enjoy the most, otherwise SPL format is aight (i'd put 14 tiers over 12 for this year though but its just my opinion) Stour is pretty entertaining too and Snake is better than last years for sure but it could be better in my opinion. For the explanations i'd say that i find the swiss idea rly fresh for olt, spl is simple but effective so its cool and Stours format is kind of ladder but with more "competent" people and i like that

What’s one piece of advice you’d give to someone trying to break into the tournament setting?
Don't focus on trying to get into tours quickly, i think the most important part to being in the tour scene is playing for having fun instead of results. Don't think about what "elite" players are thinking about you or your gameplay/teams/whatever. Like i said earlier just play for the games instead of playing for the spectators (but i get sometimes when ppl are saying too much negative things about your game(s) to be angry n stuff and i guess its fine). Also try to not regret anything in your game, even tho it might be some ballsy plays if you think its worth the risk then go for it. I ain't like the best for giving tips but i hope it'll help some players

Who are some of your favourite people in the Smogon community?
Of course i'm gonna mention my boys from CCLM, vous savez déja ce que je pense de vous j'pense pas que j'ai besoin d'ecrire un paragraphe pour vous dire que vous etes juste géniaux et que je kiffe jouer a vos cotés. Also s/o to team france esp Ojama to give me a chance in wcop despite my lack of experience. My SPL team as well, we'll win next spl bros. S/O to my former and my actually snake team as well, we'll gettem bros. Also s/o to den for the support and s/o for the former CCLM fellows B and P. I think thats it considering that i don't "know" a lot of players in this community

Finally, can you provide us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Thats the team i used in snake vs Welli0u. Volc is the main wincon but can also support the team with roost so i can switch into stuff like bulu or mawile. However, since its a fire/bug mon, its of course really weak to rocks so thats why i have defensive drill + fini which can spin/defog on top rockers like heatran and clefable if its not cm. the main problem is this volc can't touch heatran so that why my clef is hp ground; hp ground at +1 does a lot of damages so i can defog/spin easier later and volc can do a lot of damages (thunder clef + earthquake steela also works). Lopunny gives some speed control on my team bc as you can see i don't have a scarfer so lop's help is highly appreciated; steela is the standard spreads which allows him to check psychic types without zone with ease with leech seed. Fini is my ashgren/tran check and can annoy a lot of stuffs with taunt although it doesn't have nm to punish like ferrothorn; scald can burn the incoming bulu and helps clef a lot though

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in Snake draft and who should be in potentially SPL? Do you plan on playing/managing in SPL?
What other metas are you interested in outside of OU & UU?
What's your thought process with building?
Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played

best of luck in snake!

what kinda animation style you got going? you got any examples?
can you convince people spdef drill is a good set, im tryna preach it but nobody listens
whats saint etienne like? been to paris and normandy but never went there
who was the youtuber you mentioned in your post?
pineapple on pizza y/n?
finally, jaffa cakes or oreos?
yo some kid called cory stole my bike as a kid, im gna assume its you, can i have it back please i really miss it

1) Since you helped bring attention to the viability of Hydreigon and Slowbro are there other similar "niche" mons you have an identical faith in?

2) Thoughts on recent VR update?

Last edited:

Kory2600

cclm
i guess its time for some answers

Who do you think deserved to be drafted in Snake draft and who should be in potentially SPL? Do you plan on playing/managing in SPL?
What other metas are you interested in outside of OU & UU?
What's your thought process with building?
Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played

best of luck in snake!

1 )To be completly honest i don't see anyone who deserved more than the actual player who got drafted, maybe some players like snou deserved as well as some players but that's it, at least for ou; i don't really know the other tiers playerbase besides the tour players obviously.It's maybe too early for planning something for SPL but rn i want to play this game so i would most likely want to play SPL instead of managing, shits happens though so lets see.
2) If i had to mention a metagame it would be Doubles for sure, i think this is the most interesting tier, especially when you are a singles player.Outside of that i was really interested in oldgens during classic/wcop but not really now.
3) Breakers + Defensive Backbone + Pivots which can help said breakers to come, the setup sweeper can be a "breaker" or a more defensive one, like volc or clefable; nothing really surprising to say the least.
4) I don't really hate someone on smogon specificially, what i hate the most are the dumb jerks but oh well thats another story ( Even tho i used to "hate" players like Soulgazer or CBB when they used to troll my team during spl, i still think this was a dumbass move but it is what it is i'm chill now).
5) I've faced a lot of shitty players on the ladder, i would say the shittiess would probably be wish killer or some HO dumbass i don't remember all of them.

Thank you :3

what was the best game youve ever played?
whos ur least favorite user on the site?
why do u think wg is so dominant against cclm?

1) I think the best game i've ever played has to be during stour playoffs last year; it's hard to pick between both SM games against Reyscarface and Posho but they were both really enjoyable to play and i think i played pretty well on both especially considering that i was down 0-1 during both series.
2) Answer above
3) All ik is we challenged you to the real game and you guys didn't answer yet. cclm > wg que vous le vouliez ou non.:mehowth:

Whats ur opinion on being called “Kory in the house?”
Will u be “Kory in my house?”
1) I don't really mind actually; i've in fact never seen an episode of this show lol so if ppl wants to call me like that its all good.
2) Only if you show fe*t :psysly:

[15:10] %Aurella◆: Kory let me help your for next round, I tested like 99% of the teams wg olt have been using.
Do you think that with Aurellas help, cclm could best wg?
LMAO for sure, although cclm is already capable to beat wg at the only game that matters with a clutchgod like me.

what kinda animation style you got going? you got any examples?
can you convince people spdef drill is a good set, im tryna preach it but nobody listens
whats saint etienne like? been to paris and normandy but never went there
who was the youtuber you mentioned in your post?
pineapple on pizza y/n?
finally, jaffa cakes or oreos?
yo some kid called cory stole my bike as a kid, im gna assume its you, can i have it back please i really miss it

1) I'm getting into a sport type of animation school in order to have a degree, with that i could be for example a coach or a physical education teacher.

2) Haha i think excadrill has a solid niche atm, being able to setup rocks very easily and spin quite easily as well is really clutch, it could also be a backup lele check and obviously a really good answer to volturn users like av gearna/tapu koko/jirachi is also clutch at fuck and all in all its not even weak, eq does a good amount of damages to barely everything that doesn't resists or being immune to it and said mons are often really weak to toxic ( zapdos/tangrowth/tapu bulu/even tornadus), bar against gliscor and celesteela, excadrill can always put some work.
3) To be completly honest Saint-Etienne isn't a great city by any means unlike Paris or Lyon but i'm currently stuck at it so it is what it is :blobshrug:

4) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt_DgZU6Lp8CHgRGQqxzSNQ theres the link for her yt channel.

5) Pineapple on pizzas are no touch bro.

6) I hate both so can't say :(

1) Since you helped bring attention to the viability of Hydreigon and Slowbro are there other similar "niche" mons you have an identical faith in?

2) Thoughts on recent VR update?
1) I don't have examples on my mind rn but some UU/RU mons could be pretty good in OU for sure.

2) i don't really care about the VR so i can't really say anything about it, sorry.

And i think thats it.Thanks for the questions and sorry for my bad english :psygrump:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
what do you think is the best thing about ou compared to other tiers/gens/games?

do you think there's a difference between teams that are good to use (get more wins) and teams that are fun to use?

smogtours lobby or ou room?

apples or oranges?

what strengths and flaws do you have as a player?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)