Project OU Player of the week #44: Luigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to the OU Player of the Week Project: Rebooted! For those of you that don't know, this is a project where I interview a tournament player and have you, the readers, leave any questions you may have down below for them to answer. The ultimate goal is to gain insight as to how they play this skillful and strategic video game. If any of you have a suggestion for who I should interview, feel free to VM/PM me, and I will take your suggestion into consideration. Now, enough of this boring intro. Let's get to it!

Luigi.

Most Known For: Comining out of nowhere and doing well in smogon tour season 19 and also monodragon/cloyster

Favorite Pokemon: KARRABLAST. also, Celebi and Duskull

Most used Pokemon: Charizard, Tyranitar, Tornadus-T. Was known for being the only dude using cloyster a while back as well

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I'm 19, live in Brazil and hope to go to law school starting next year. Not much else to say oo

Where did you get your name from?
I want to preface this by saying i have no idea where i got my previous name, Get backer, from. There is a manga/anime called Get Backers but i only found out about it long after the account had been made, all i remember is using Get Backer as an alt back in the PO XY ladder >:

As for Luigi, it stems from the fact my real name is Luis and my family is italian so some of the old folk call me Luigi fsr.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
This is an emberassing story, but much like fellow west member tesung i'm not very good with computers. I found about competitve mons back in late 2009/early 2010 but couldn't figure out how to download Shoddy so i kinda just lurked for a while then lost interest. Many moons later i found out about PO on a youtube video and did manage to download that, so my career started in late 2011 though i'd only play for like 4 months at a time then quit for long periods of time and only come back when a new game was released. Troughout the years i stuck with PO until ORAS came out and with it, PO's death knell. Smogon Tour 19 was starting at the same time and it seemed fun.

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?
I quit XY at around the time of the Aegislash ban, a little before the Mega Mawile ban, so i can't really comment on the super bulky, scaldburns determines the winner meta of late XY >: But i do prefer early XY with shit like Aegislash and Genesect and Mega Lucario to current ORAS.

To add onto the above, thoughts on the team matchup issue?
Like the last 10 (?) POTW interviewees i think it's waaaaaaaay overblown and used as an excuse, though i don't see people complaining about it now nearly as much as they did a few months ago, so it's not so bad oo

Do you feel that there is anything that is suspect worthy at the moment?
I've wanted Mega Sableye banned since before the Mega Metagross suspect and still think it should go. Manaphy too maybe, definitely not Hoopa-U or ZardX or whatever though.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
Hyper offense, but REAL hyper offense, that shit where you press the switch button only once or twice per battle

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?
BW1, mostly cause i started in it and it fills me with nostalgia to think of the days where Scrafty was OU. Other than that probably BW2 when we had Genesect and Tornadus-T. XY right after the Mega Kangaskhan ban was great too :x

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?
I don't prepare at all, i brought monodragon to the quarterfinals game because i couldn't be bothered to make a BW team. It's something i really should improve D:

Favorite to win STour?
idk man, too early to tell oo

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?
Make it say if a Zard was holding Charizardite Y or X at team preview, and maybe rid of Mega Sableye and Defog

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?
Just play dog, nothing's more important than experience oo

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?
Be harsher with doling out punishment for being dickheads? idk i'm not too involved with any areas other than tours and b101 i guess oo

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?

Only players i look up to are Phillip7086 and MoP.

As for friends there's too many people to mention and i don't want to be a Rumor and let niggas out so i won't say anyone in particular except for my day one's Jimmy Turtwig Mikasa Ackerman Da Raikage Accelgor TCMK and APimpNamedSlickback

Finally, can you provide us a team that's a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Charizard (Charizard-Mega-X) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 104 SpD / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 148 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 152 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Fairly standard bulky offense, the goal being to allow for Gliscor or Latios to open holes in their team so i can outlast the opponent with the defensive core. The presence of TTar and Mew bluff the Zardy so i can catch people offguard with ZardX. Pretty solid team oo

do you like me?
what are your thoughts about the user radianthero156?
will you come up w/ a new cloyster squad for this week tour?
why do you like my name so much?
why are you such a good smogon tour hoster?

for bw: what do you find underrated? what sets / pokemon do you use most often? what do you think is overrated? what is your favourite team playstyle? what goes through your head when you see the opponent's team? and is there anything you find broken or worthy of change in the meta?

Luigi

spo.ink/shadowtag
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 27 Championis a Past SPL Champion
favourites to win slam and olt

FREE GENE yn
slam: cheering for the only brazilian still capable of making playoffs: omfuga
olt: same as above but also abr cause he is sorta the ultimate ladder dude so it makes sense

yeh, jus use heatran lol

Is Mayonnaise an instrument?

What are those?

Do you like Waffles?

Do you like Pancakes?

Do you like French Toast?
#1 i suppose mayonnaise is capable of producing sound so sure oo

#2 usually shoes

#3 i think the brazilian definition and the american definition for waffles is different but i lie the ones i've had

#4 i know for a fact the brazilian definition of pancake is different (we usually fill ours with meats) and i dislike the american sweet pancakes

#5 yeh though we just call it toast here

also on the subject of breakfast, brazilians dont usually eat any. And when i do it's just like one apple or banana oo

do you want to get back her
yeh D:

do you like me?
what are your thoughts about the user radianthero156?
will you come up w/ a new cloyster squad for this week tour?
why do you like my name so much?
why are you such a good smogon tour hoster?
#1 you're ok oo
#2 i wish he didnt have a world view that belongs in the 18th century but he is ok too
#3 cloyster's window has been shut oo
#4 it's in the op silly luigy
#5 i'm terrible lol. i posted r1 with like half the pairings then with 1 extra then i made 10 million other mistakes, i just happened to be very quick solving them so most people didnt notice anything was amiss oo. noticing a problem and acting quickly aint rocket science

Why do you use "oo" like a period?
Ahem, excuse me if i partake in a finch-worthy tirade but this is a topic i'm quite passionate about so:
oo, in its simplest form represents a pair of eyes, looking at the person you are talking to in a expectating manner, as if you imply "i've said my piece, what do you think on the subject?" so in a way it represents the entire essence of human communication in both verbal and visual form. Though as i said earlier "oo" is imbibed with expectation so while it can be used to finish a statement as a closing remark that is more instinctive than a simple "." it's also used in an ironic manner as to say that something should be implicit and not require further explanation. On a more spiritual level there is a primal desire to use "oo" once you've become used to it, it's something that either you posesses or you don't. I hope im not making it sound too complex, because in reality that's the opposite of what "oo" represents, really it's above all else a simple way of expressing a myriad of feelings in a way that speaks to others in a way words can't. and i suppose on a more pratical level, every brazilian pokemon player is exposed to "oo" sooner or later through sogeking or through people that use "oo" because of the influence sogeking exerts over them, so in a way, it's a form of silent protest against his banning and an extension of his being. Or maybe it's just a cute lil face, it depends on perspective and context really oo

for bw: what do you find underrated? what sets / pokemon do you use most often? what do you think is overrated? what is your favourite team playstyle? what goes through your head when you see the opponent's team? and is there anything you find broken or worthy of change in the meta?
#1 cofagrigus, definitely, i'd say slowking but that's waht everyone says when asked for something underrated in bw so im not sure it's that underrated. moltres is in the same boat. sub charge beam hydreigon.
#2 Uh i havent built a bw team since bw was the main gen so whatever the people i'm taking teams from favors i guess lol.
#3 reuniculus, definitely. also tornadus, even though so many people have no flying resists.
#4 probably rain balance :s
#5 who they are most likely to lead with, actually. i feel like lead matchup is more important in bw than in oras fsr
#6 ehhhh

Last edited:
Most overrated set on a good mon?

Best lower tier mon right now?

If you had to free one Uber (mon, mega stone, etc.), what would it be and why?

Thoughts on Shadow Tag?

Dumbest thing someone has used against you in a battle?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Ahem, excuse me if i partake in a finch-worthy tirade but this is a topic i'm quite passionate about so:
oo, in its simplest form represents a pair of eyes, looking at the person you are talking to in a expectating manner, as if you imply "i've said my piece, what do you think on the subject?" so in a way it represents the entire essence of human communication in both verbal and visual form. Though as i said earlier "oo" is imbibed with expectation so while it can be used to finish a statement as a closing remark that is more instinctive than a simple "." it's also used in an ironic manner as to say that something should be implicit and not require further explanation. On a more spiritual level there is a primal desire to use "oo" once you've become used to it, it's something that either you posesses or you don't. I hope im not making it sound too complex, because in reality that's the opposite of what "oo" represents, really it's above all else a simple way of expressing a myriad of feelings in a way that speaks to others in a way words can't. and i suppose on a more pratical level, every brazilian pokemon player is exposed to "oo"sooner or later trough sogeking or trough people that use "oo" because of the influence sogeking exerts over them, so in a way, it's a form of silent protest against his banning and an extension of his being. Or maybe it's just a cute lil face, it depends on perspective and context really oo
Literally just made my brain explode a little bit.

Thoughts on Finch's relationship with Kratosmana?

Ahem, excuse me if i partake in a finch-worthy tirade but this is a topic i'm quite passionate about so: oo, in its simplest form represents a pair of eyes, looking at the person you are talking to in a expectating manner, as if you imply "i've said my piece, what do you think on the subject?" so in a way it represents the entire essence of human communication in both verbal and visual form. Though as i said earlier "oo" is imbibed with expectation so while it can be used to finish a statement as a closing remark that is more instinctive than a simple "." it's also used in an ironic manner as to say that something should be implicit and not require further explanation. On a more spiritual level there is a primal desire to use "oo" once you've become used to it, it's something that either you posesses or you don't. I hope im not making it sound too complex, because in reality that's the opposite of what "oo" represents, really it's above all else a simple way of expressing a myriad of feelings in a way that speaks to others in a way words can't. and i suppose on a more pratical level, every brazilian pokemon player is exposed to "oo"sooner or later trough sogeking or trough people that use "oo" because of the influence sogeking exerts over them, so in a way, it's a form of silent protest against his banning and an extension of his being. Or maybe it's just a cute lil face, it depends on perspective and context really oo
It's crazy how ignorant some people are about the holiness that is oo. When people call it merely punctuation its the most blatant blasphemy i've ever seen. Anyways, do you feel the strongest way to comprehend and become one of the "oo" is to study it or experience it through sogeking?

Grats on being 1 step below finch oo

oo, in its simplest form represents a pair of eyes, looking at the person you are talking to in a expectating manner, as if you imply "i've said my piece, what do you think on the subject?" so in a way it represents the entire essence of human communication in both verbal and visual form. Though as i said earlier "oo" is imbibed with expectation so while it can be used to finish a statement as a closing remark that is more instinctive than a simple "." it's also used in an ironic manner as to say that something should be implicit and not require further explanation. On a more spiritual level there is a primal desire to use "oo" once you've become used to it, it's something that either you posesses or you don't. I hope im not making it sound too complex, because in reality that's the opposite of what "oo" represents, really it's above all else a simple way of expressing a myriad of feelings in a way that speaks to others in a way words can't. and i suppose on a more pratical level, every brazilian pokemon player is exposed to "oo"sooner or later trough sogeking or trough people that use "oo" because of the influence sogeking exerts over them, so in a way, it's a form of silent protest against his banning and an extension of his being. Or maybe it's just a cute lil face, it depends on perspective and context really oo
Didn't know your eyes are directly next to each other. I'll remember that so I never ask you to smell something.

Reactions: AM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)