SM OU OU Rain Team - RMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introduction

So it's been a few years since I've played in OU, I mainly focused on VGC for the past few years. But I've been playing around with a few ideas, and this team has been relatively successful from my limited testing on showdown. There are flaws, obviously, but I just wanted some second opinions because it's been a while since I've played in this format!

It's a rain team that focuses on Mega Swampert. The team has the obvious rain setup in Pelipper, the Swift Swim M-Swampert, the Tornadus-T as a good damage dealer and defog carrier, the Zeraora because I find it's coverage and speed to be very useful to break through walls, the Excadrill for setup like SR and counter-hazard in Rapid Spin, and the Victini just because I felt the team was lacking a fire type. The team so far lacks a way to deal with Fairy types, however other than that, I haven't encountered too many problems. But I would really like some advice on what to change; I currently think Tornadus-T and Victini can be replaced, but I like the others, maybe Excadrill too but I feel like it fits.

The Team

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane

Obviously I chose this because it's a good setup, I use the damp rock to make drizzle last longer, ect.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Superpower

I chose M-Swampert because it's one of my favourite megas and I just really liked the idea of having it on my team. I feel like it's strong.

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I chose this because it works well in rain teams.

Zeraora @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off

I like Zeraora because it's a good wall breaker. I could try a specs set with thunder but I prefer this because there is better coverage.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

I just really like Excadrill for setup and counter-setup.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- U-turn
- Final Gambit

Victini is really just a filler but I think it works well, any suggestions here would be much appreciated though.

Sorry for the lack of detail in this; I'm still getting used to team building and I'm just trying to find pokemon that work well with each other.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Superpower

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Zeraora @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- U-turn
- Final Gambit

Last edited:
Hi, theres a few things to improve here:

Threats:
Pyuku Stall: you cant break it while they stall you out.

Mega Alakazam: traces swift swim, if modest can RK everythin after some residual (except vic but ill get to it), and traces zera's volt absorb.

Serperior: it can glare the torn on the switch and take on p much everything afterward. even vic is annoyed cause glare.

Zard Y: Changes weather and outspeeds almost everything. and since drill is the HO variant, its not hard for them to clear the rocks. even zera can be pivoted around.

Rotom-W: switches into pert if it doesnt superpower, beats peli, and even beats torn. only thing it cant win vs is zera but it can take one hit from it and wisp.

Mega Latis: can take atks from a lot of these guys, latios cant take knock from zera or z fly, but they can easily play around it.

Gastrodon: it cant take on pert or take a z hurricane but it beats the rest of the mons here.

Changes:
Remove victini. it doesnt do anything for you. id put a specs ash gren to supply you a priority breaker and a breaker as and vic is a liability cause the rain and torn beats grasses anyway. and this change helps ur lati MU.

Remove Drill. I feel a bulky rocker is much better here since this isnt HO where that drill would fit. i think ferrothorn would help here to check bulky waters and such. it also gives u an ash gren check of your own. it also makes it easier to check serp if ur gyro ball.

Make the Torn timid cause u turn and knock are support moves, not for their offensive power while also helping vs kartana.

How the counters can be played around:
Stall is still annoying but ash gren can spike easily given the threat gren places on sableye to come in while you spike on the chansey switch in and knocking chansey helps a lot.

Zard Y can be played around via pelipper plays.

Mega Latis can be handled by ash gren as long as u dont let it get chipped.

Gastro can be handled by ferro and if a spike goes up, then its 2hkod by ash gren.

Serp is able to be checked by torn+ferro as long as you dont let torn get parad and ferro isnt unlucky.

Rotom is handled decently by ferro and it isnt hard to chip.

Last edited:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)