SS OU OU - Sandaconda Stall

Sandaconda.full.2807537.jpg
Hello everyone, I am learning to play competitively, I want to specialize in Stall teams since they are the ones that catch my attention, I accept constructive criticism, suggestions and changes, I would appreciate them all.

Team building Process:

pokemon_sword_and_shield_sandaconda.png

Sandaconda @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Glare
- Rest

My initial intention is to build a team around Sandaconda, thanks to its immense physical bulk it helps to control a large part of the physical attackers, Rest and its Shed Skin ability is a viable recovery method. It also provides speed control with glare.
Even if Sandaconda can take special hits, he still needs to fight Slowbro, Slowking, Kyurem, Tapu Fini, and so on. So you need a special wall like Blissey.

Blissey_XY.gif

Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Teleport

Even though he is less bulky than the Eviolite-wearing Chansey, the ability to have Heavy-Duty Boots gives Blissey a huge advantage over Chansey by ignoring all entry hazards and makes him an exceptional pivot. Teleport also plays an important role in boosting Blissey's pivot capabilities, allowing her to build momentum for her teammates quite easily by taking hits with her great special bulk and getting in safely. Blissey makes it easy to block special attackers that are Volcarona, Hydreigon, Dragapult, and so on.

Clefable_XY.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Knock Off

Clefable is a fantastic defensive pokémon, his immunity to avoiding residual damage from Magic Guard and his wide variety of useful moves make him one of the best. It can switch against offensive threats such as Dragapult, Garchomp and Zeraora, while it is also good at absorbing status and Knock Off hurts the majority of the tier, this has a good companion that gives it good versatility, that is Hydreigon with Defog.
Hydreigon_XY.gif

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Defog

Hydreigon has very good synergy with Clefable and Toxapex, so it has a coverage that is Earth Power to put a stop to Heatran.

toxapex.gif

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Toxapex with Scald allows you to strongly damage pokémon like Landorus-T, potentially burning enemies like Garchomp and Ferrothor, while Haze against the use of stat increase moves, finally Toxic Spikes is an option to wear down pokémon on the ground like Garchomp, Rillaboom and Tapu Fini, more defensive pokémon like Tyranitar and Tangrowth. The Shell Shed item is used to deal with Heatran.

ferrothorn.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn stands out as a great defensive pokémon, being able to take hits well from Zeraora and Excadrill, as well as take advantage of passive pokémon like Clefable and Toxapex, especially defensive ones, to configure entry dangers. In particular, Ferrothorn with Body Press defeats Pokémon like Bisharp while pressing Hydreigon and Hazard Eliminators like Corviknight, Mandibuzz, and Excadrill. Knock Off seriously limits the usefulness of some pokémon in the course of a game, Heavy-Duty Boots users like Mandibuzz and Rotom-H, as well as Leftovers users

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hey Jordan Cuadrado, welcome to Smogon, I’m here to rate your team and suggest changes in order to improve it!

Stall is an interesting playstyle, which is not the greatest one in the current OU metagame, but you can still make it viable as you have plenty of tools to build a solid stall team. Now, when you are building a stall team, you must keep in mind that you have very few offensive pressure and thus you need to be able to deal with most threats defensively. In a lot of other playstyles, you can deal with specific Pokemon offensively if they are able to break your defensive core, but here if the opponent has something able to claim a kill at each entry, you are pretty much doomed if they realized it, and use this tool well. Because of this, you need to be very cautious when you are building a stall team, and you need to be sure to have a way to deal with the metagame top threats. Of course, you cannot deal with anything and given a team it’s easy to find something that 6-0 it. However, not being able to deal with a Pokemon that has 1% usage because its only niche is to have a good matchup against certain stalls is not as bad as getting smacked by something at 20% usage. You also need to be aware that things are often more complicated then just, I can deal with this threat or I can’t deal with it, as sometimes you have ways to check a Pokemon but these ways are not perfect and you can get overwhelmed. There are also situations whare a Pokemon that you can in theory check very easily becomes unmanageable with the appropriate teammates. A good example for this is Rillaboom :rillaboom: as Corviknight :corviknight: can easily beat it, but when you are facing Magnezone :magnezone: alongside with Rillaboom, it’s a whole different story. Even duos with two Pokemon that you can check with the same answer can be problematic if the first one leaves this answer in range of the second one. There are way too many cores and sets and you will struggle against some of them even with a very good stall team, and that’s why stall is not that much popular as you rely a lot on having a good matchup. Now, if some matchups are free and others are near impossible, most of the time, you will have to play well to win more even matchups and something extremely important is to identify at the beginning of the game what are the threats in the opposing team, what are their ways of winning and how can you deal with each of these threats. This thought process is important in order to avoid letting die a Pokemon that prevent a sweep or letting the opponent overwhelm your Pokemon one after the other. Anyway, this was a more general introduction about playing stall as you seem to be interested in this playstyle. Let’s move to the actual rate of the team.

Toxapex :toxapex:, Clefable :clefable: and Blissey :blissey: are Pokemon used in almost any stall team because of all the utility they can bring to this kind of teams. Blissey is an incredible special wall with a lot of utility moves like Heal Bell and Stealth Rock. Clefable is most of the time the anti-setup Pokemon thanks to its ability Unaware and can act as a great win condition (because yeah you can have win condition in stall and don’t necessarily need to have 6 passive Pokemon) with Calm Mind + Unaware denying the opposing setup attempts. Toxapex brings a lot of useful resistances alongside with a colossal bulk and very useful moves like Haze, Knock Off, Scald, Toxic Spikes… Regenerator is also a great ability to scout some Choice users without being forced to leave a Pokemon low in health in case of a wrong prediction. This trio is thus a great basis for your team and these Pokemon should definitely be kept. Hydreigon :hydreigon: is an interesting choice. At first glance, this Pokemon seems to be an offensive beast. However, it has a good bulk with a very nice typing and brings a strong answer to Heatran :heatran:, one of the most threatening stallbreaker. Being able to handle Heatran is very important for stall teams as it is one of the most common Pokemon in the tier and its trapping set will easily force kills otherwise. Sandaconda :sandaconda: seems to be the star of the team and it brings an Electric immunity which is important in this kind of team if you want to prevent VoltTurn spam and to deal with threatening Electric types like Zeraora :zeraora: for instance. If it was up to me I would say that Hippowdon :hippowdon: can do the same job better and this is the reason why Hippowdon is a way more common choice. However, Sandaconda has some nice moves like Glare and Coil and a way more interesting ability so it might have a niche here. (I had a little debate about why it’s hard to use lower tiers Pokemon in OU and more globally about creativity in building here if you want to check: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/hyper-offense-with-gardevoir-and-milotic.3688240/#post-8929644). Lastly, Ferrothorn :ferrothorn: is probably the Pokemon to change here. This may seem counterintuitive but even if Ferrothorn is indeed a great defensive Pokemon, it doesn’t fit well in stall teams. Being unable to properly recover its health means that it will be quickly weakened and overwhelmed against offensive teams with strong breakers. This is something you want to avoid as in a very passive team you will need to be able to come in on the same threats a lot of time. Moreover, even if Ferrothorn is in theory a good Grass resistance, it can’t deal with the most threatening Grass types like Rillaboom :rillaboom:, Kartana :kartana: and Tapu Bulu :tapu bulu: who are extremely hard to handle with your current team.

To sum this up, I think you have a great basis here and you understood how a stall team should work. There will not be much changes regarding the choice of the team members, and I will mainly focus and changing some sets as I think some of your Pokemon could be more efficient with slightly different sets. Let’s dive into the suggestions!

Major Changes

:ferrothorn: -> :corviknight:: I already explained why I don’t think Ferrothorn isn’t a great choice here. Corviknight :corviknight: could be a good alternative, being able to handle Rillaboom :rillaboom: and Kartana :kartana: efficiently while also providing a good Melmetal :melmetal: check, a check to most Swords Dance user with its Iron Defense set and a way to deal with most Tapu Lele :tapu lele: with some SpD investment (you still need to make the good predictions as Focus Blast has a high chance of 2HKO). Skarmory :skarmory: could also fit in that slot, but Corviknight is more useful here for checking Tapu Lele and providing Pressure (which is useful to beat Stealth Rock setters as they have less PP than Defog thanks to Pressure). I would thus use an Iron Defense Body Press set with the SpD needed to take Tapu Lele’s Psychic after Rocks. The set is just here:
corviknight.gif

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Defog
- Roost

Minor Changes

:sandaconda:: This kind of set could work even if Hippowdon :hippowdon: may be better in this role thanks to its higher defensive stats and its more reliable recovery. Sandaconda has Glare, but I don’t think this move helps in a stall team as against most opponents you rather just Toxic them then paralyze them. This is because your whole team is very slow, and you won’t benefit much from the Speed drop. You can keep this set, or you can try to use a Coil one, as Coil is another thing Sandaconda has over Hippowdon. With Coil, a full Special defensive Spread may be better as you still deal with Zeraora :zeraora: and you rather have more SpD if you can boost your Defense to be harder to force out. Here is the set I’m thinking about:

sandaconda.gif

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Toxic

:clefable:: Magic Guard is a nice ability, but you really need Unaware in a stall team as it helps dealing with a lot of setup sweepers that can be extremely hard to handle without Unaware. Some examples are Hawlucha :hawlucha:, Garchomp :garchomp:, Weavile :weavile:, other Clefable :clefable: that carry Thunder for Toxapex :toxapex:. Regarding the moveset, you should use Soft Boiled over Wish + Protect to free a moveslot, especially as you don’t need Wish anymore to try healing Ferrothorn :ferrothorn:. Aromatherapy is very useful to avoid being crippled by a Toxic on Clefable :clefable:, a Burn on Corviknigth :corviknight: or to wake up Sandaconda :sandaconda: after a Rest without having to rely on Shed Skin. Moonblast is of course mandatory as it is your main STAB, but I think the last moveslot can be used for Calm Mind instead of Knock Off. This is because Calm Mind allows you to beat some slow special setup sweepers like Volcarona :volcarona: or other Clefable :clefable:, but it also gives you a nice win condition as Clefable with Calm Mind can be hard to deal with for some teams, especially when it has Unaware. The set that sums up this is just below:

clefable.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

:blissey:: The set is fine, I just don’t know what these 56 EVs in SpD are for, if there is a reason you can keep this spread but otherwise you can just use a full Physical Def spread. As for the moveset, Teleport is nice in balance teams to pivot into your breakers safely, but in a stall team you don’t really need to pivot, and you rather have a utility move here. If you chose to use a non-Stealth Rock set on Sandaconda :sandaconda;, then you can use Stealth Rock on Blissey. Otherwise, you could go for Heal Bell to free a moveslot on Clefable :clefable: for Thunderbolt or Knock Off. Shadow Ball is also a possible option even if it’s very niche as it can help beating some annoying Ghost types like Substitute Gengar :gengar: or Blacephalon :blacephalon:. Here is the set:

blissey.gif

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

:toxapex:: The set is fine. I would just suggest trying Rocky Helmet over Shed Shell. Heatran :heatran: is not really a problem as you have Hydreigon :hydreigon: for it, but Shed Shell can still be used for Tapu Fini :tapu fini: with Whirlpool. Rocky Helmet may be a bit more useful because I feel that having a Rocky Helmet user is always nice in stall to punish some physical attackers and U-turn user that may be hard to chip otherwise. Scald is also an option over Toxic Spikes, but Toxic Spikes is a fine choice.

toxapex.gif

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes / Scald

:hydreigon:: Hydreigon is a nice choice in this team to deal with Heatran :heatran: and absorb Future Sigh if needed. Since I added another Defogger in Corviknight :corviknight:, you can remove Defog on Hydreigon as double Defog is not extremely useful and will only help against Stealth Rock Heatran. There are several options for the last move. Substitute can be really nice to beat Future Sigh + breaker reliably as you can setup a Substitute on Slowking :slowking: / Slowbro :slowbro: switching out. Nasty Plot is another option that will allow Hydreigon to pressure the opposing team if needed and may help a lot if you happen to face another passive/defensive team.

hydreigon.gif

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Nasty Plot / Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

And that’s all for the changes, here is the past of the new team, feel free to try it out:

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Defog
- Roost

(I may add a replay or two here if I find the time to ladd)

Hope this was helpful, have a nice day!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the changes, I am much more fluid but I have a problem with the team, it is that I am not looking for an ideal way against Hatterene. It can be controlled but I would have to find the right change and it is very complicated since with its Magic Bounce ability I cannot cope with it. I appreciate if you give me another hand to control that pokémon.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Thank you very much for the changes, I am much more fluid but I have a problem with the team, it is that I am not looking for an ideal way against Hatterene. It can be controlled but I would have to find the right change and it is very complicated since with its Magic Bounce ability I cannot cope with it. I appreciate if you give me another hand to control that pokémon.
Thanks for your feedback, I’m glad you appreciate the suggestions, have fun testing this.

I’m not 100% sure about what your question is, but from what I understand you are asking about how to deal with Hatterene with this kind of team. Well, I don’t think it is too much of an issue because firstly it is not a common Pokemon in OU and most Hatterene are just Trick Room setters and won’t cause many troubles as they just aim to set the Trick Room and use Misty Explosion or Healing Wish. Calm Mind Hatterene has very low usage because it can’t heal back efficiently and is thus completely outclassed by Clefable. On the other hand, a Specs set would be completely outclassed by Tapu Lele because Magic Bounce is less useful than Psychic Surge offensively and Tapu Lele is way faster.

Now I don’t even think that Hatterene is hard to deal with. Of course, Magic Bounce is annoying for this kind of passive team, and you can’t mindlessly click Stealth Rock or Toxic against a team with Hatterene. However, Clefable can easily one vs one Calm Mind Hatterene because Unaware allows you to win the Calm Mind war. You just need to keep Clefable healthy, and you will be completely fine against Hatterene.

This are the usage stat for Hatterene in June (on the OU ladder) :
| 52 | Hatterene | 2.28571% | and as I said, most of them are just Trick Room setters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)