[OU] Sandstorm/Manual Rain

Hello everyone. This is my first ever post and RMT. My friend got me into pokemon a while ago but I'm still fairly new to everything and learning a lot as I go.

Introduction:
Of course most teams I see now run on weather. I've seen a couple of teams with both Tyranitar and Politoed, but didn't really like that idea. So I figured I should try manual rain. That way, I could have a swift swim user to take advantage of drizzle teams. The manual rain also comes as a surprise sometimes, as all my pokemon work under sandstorm anyway.

Btw, I'm using Spe for speed I don't know why the import thing uses SpD, which confuses me.

Anyway, here's my team:
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream​
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe​
Adamant Nature​
- Stone Edge​
- Pursuit​
- Crunch​
- Superpower​

Tyranitar over Hippowdon mostly because I like the SpD boost from sandstorm. It's bulky enough anyway which is why I don't think Hippowdon is that special. Pretty much what it does is come in, summon sandstorm, hit something, then switch out. I also needed a dark type move, because after I took out Scizor I had no bug nor dark for psychic types. Tyranitar is mostly for Espeon who usually can't hit Tyranitar too hard with anything.

Gastrodon @ Choice Specs
Trait: Storm Drain​
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SAtk / 132 SDef​
Modest Nature​
- Surf​
- Earth Power​
- Ice Beam​
- Hidden Power [Grass]​

Woohoo gastrodon my baby. I used to have a defensive set on this gastrodon, but it was really too weak to do anything except toxic and people just set up on it. So I decided to run the more surprising offensive set, which is crazy good after a boost. I'm not sure if I should put a recover on it, but then I'd miss the coverage. Because it's so slow and frail on this set, usually it switches in on the typical water attack (very easy since a couple other team members don't resist water), and I can just hit whatever comes in pretty hard. It usually can't stay in for too long though, which is a shame. For example any grass types I can hit with ice beam, but it's usually KO'd before it can move. As of now it's on life orb, but I might change it to a choice item or something.
Bronzong @ Damp Rock
Trait: Levitate​
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef​
Sassy Nature​
- Rain Dance​
- Stealth Rock​
- Gyro Ball​
- Toxic​

Next up is Bronzong. One of my rain dance users and support. I used to have Jirachi instead of bronzong as it had wish support, but it always died to ground attacks (before, EQ just obliterated my team). So I put in Bronzong instead, a bit bulkier, immune to earthquake. I don't love it but it fills its role quite nicely. I also might change HP ice to EQ. Oh yeah, I don't really have a spinner, so I've also tried out Claydol but didn't really like it. Forretress.. I might consider again, but it wasn't ever that great, and despite its defense it still dies fairly quickly.
Omastar @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim​
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe​
Modest Nature​
- Shell Smash​
- Surf​
- Ice Beam​
- Hidden Power [Grass]​

Omastar, my rain team check. I used to have kabutops with a rapid spin, but it was just too frail to do anything really, and was outsped by other swift swim users. I love omastar a lot better because shell smash solves that speed problem (and there's usually plenty of opportunities to set up). It also means it's not complete crap when rain isn't up, as it also gets the SpD boost from sandstorm. It has great coverage, so shell smash + rain, or 2 shell smashes and it's usually over.

Magnezone @ Damp Rock
Trait: Magnet Pull​
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spe​
Modest Nature​
- Rain Dance​
- Volt Switch​
- Thunder​
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Another one of my rain dance users. This guy can abuse thunder to muscle past stuff, but the main thing was to trap ferrothorn and other steels, but especially ferrothorn because that thing is annoying. Which is why Magnezone is here, and not jirachi. Just like bronzong, it being a steel type means it can lessen its weakness to fire, although jirachi was better at that since it actually outsped things.
Landorus (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Force​
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 SAtk / 252 Spe​
Naive Nature​
- Earthquake​
- Stone Edge​
- U-turn​
- Hidden Power [Ice]​
I've played with this slot a lot, but without much luck. Landorus was kind of my other guy with immunities to ground. Landorus is the one pokemon that doesn't like the water too much, but oh well. Landorus has great coverage, and barely outspeeds all the base 100s which is great. Then again, this slot should probably be a defensive pokemon, but I can't really find a good one for the rest of my team. With this slot I've tried Scizor, Empoleon, Swampert, Jirachi (as mentioned), Stoutland, Forretress, Ferrothorn, and whatnot, but nothing's really worked, so it's Landorus for now.
Conclusion:
The main concern I have for this team is pretty much ground and especially fighting moves. I got owned by Alakazam once as it outsped everything, had magic guard so toxic and sandstorm wouldn't damage it, and once it got a couple calm minds in I was done for as it had focus blast.
Terrakion and Keldeo are also pretty dangerous with their beast Atk / SAtk and really good speed. And they carry fighting moves.
Any suggestions and constructive criticism is appreciated. This peaked at around 1700 which isn't that good, but then again I'm a newbie and still learning a lot, so I'm sure someone could do better.

Omastar is better off with Life Orb, as it secures OHKO's when it Smashed (such as Jellicent after SR). Surf with White Herb is a little weak especially before a smash. Fighting priority is unfortunate but that's how it goes...Earth Power can be squeezed on there somewhere to destroy Toxicroak in one shot while it can't kill back with Drain Punch. Regardless, Omastar is far more powerful than Kingdra (which is pitifully weak) as a rain abuser and is a good fit on this team. Also consider Modest, scarfers will outrun in rain or after a Smash even with Timid, Modest hits soooo much harder. If you can get a Smash off in Rain, you can potentially end game with that extra power.

Since Omastar is your only rain abuser, I feel you only need one poke with Damp Rock; 2 is a little overkill. Maybe replace Damp Rock on Magnezone with Expert Belt and replace Rain Dance with another coverage move or Thunder Wave.

HP Ice isn't that good on Bronzong, Gyro Ball is almost always better.

Maybe replace a member for Toxicroak, which can beat other Fighting types with a nice Bulk Up set. It also likes Rain support. Having something for Ferrothorn, which is very threatening to your team, is also nice...maybe replace Magnezone?

Omastar is better off with Life Orb, as it secures OHKO's when it Smashed (such as Jellicent after SR). Surf with White Herb is a little weak especially before a smash. Fighting priority is unfortunate but that's how it goes...Earth Power can be squeezed on there somewhere to destroy Toxicroak in one shot while it can't kill back with Drain Punch. Regardless, Omastar is far more powerful than Kingdra (which is pitifully weak) as a rain abuser and is a good fit on this team. Also consider Modest, scarfers will outrun in rain or after a Smash even with Timid, Modest hits soooo much harder. If you can get a Smash off in Rain, you can potentially end game with that extra power.

Since Omastar is your only rain abuser, I feel you only need one poke with Damp Rock; 2 is a little overkill. Maybe replace Damp Rock on Magnezone with Expert Belt and replace Rain Dance with another coverage move or Thunder Wave.

HP Ice isn't that good on Bronzong, Gyro Ball is almost always better.

Maybe replace a member for Toxicroak, which can beat other Fighting types with a nice Bulk Up set. It also likes Rain support. Having something for Ferrothorn, which is very threatening to your team, is also nice...maybe replace Magnezone?

Hmm.. I changed Omastar to modest, I'll take your word for it that the speed won't matter too much (:. However, I do like the white herb because omastar's defences aren't too shabby, and I want it to be able to take a hit, especially while I smash.

With the ferrothorn thing, that's what magnezone is for. Though I do agree with you on the damp rock thing. Will change once I think of a good way to change it.
Took your advice on Bronzong.

Wouldn't toxicroak not work well in sand though? :s
I'm thinking of going back to scizor again, but of course that creates problems..

this team is awesome, i just tried it against a baton ninjask team.. i made alot of errors but still got a win with it
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-39169132

You usually only need to smash twice at most lol. Also it's often a better idea to make them think it's a sandstorm team, then when you think they're gonna switch to something to hit bronzong or magnezone with a fire move you use rain dance and it allows you to fight back. Omastar usually doesn't come out that early though I guess it wasn't a terrible idea.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, so I got the VM so here I am to rate your team.

I'm sure if my rate is going to provide great use to you, as I don't like the general strategy of the team. Now that doesn't nessecrary mean its a bad one, its just I haven't made much experience facing or using this team.

However, I do feel I could make a suggestion for your last move slot. You say you have problems with fighting types, ground types and Alakazam, so I have the perfect suggestion for you. Lati@s. Latias helps you better take on Terrakion, Keldeo, and Alakazam, while Latios I believe blends better into your team, as its generally quite offensive. The choice is up to you, but I'm a more defensive player so I'm going to suggest the LO tank Latias set. It has enough bulk to check Terrakion, Keldeo and Alakazam, but it still provides offence for you team.

Like I said this rate wasn't that detailed, and I'm sorry I couldn't provide a better rate for you, but hopefully this has helped you in some way, and good luck with the team :]

Latias @ LIfe Orb
TImid Nature
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Surf
-Roost / HP fire

There's the set

GL with the team

oh i forgot omastar

Can a mod delete this, because I was supposed to type this in a conversation, but I messed up

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, sorry it took me so long to get to this. It's an interesting team.

The main issue I notice right off the bat is that you have nothing to handle Breloom. Landorus is the closest thing you have, and even he won't like taking Mach Punches or switching into a Bullet Punch or Low Sweep. I also think that Specs Gastrodon is apretty weak link in your team and doesn't really seem to offer much. It's complete setup bait for the Breloom you're so weak to, and unless it's in the rain AND has a Storm Drain boost, it just won't be doing too much to the opponent's team. I would switch Gastrodon with Specs Latias. Latias provides the bulkiness that Gastrodon did, but also gives you a resist to Water and Grass and Fighting that the rest of your team would really appreciate. You can also give it Sleep Talk over Trick so that you have something to absorb Breloom's Spore and still hit incredibly hard with whatever move you randomly get. The choice of Surf and HP Fire is up to you, since you will sometimes be in the rain with a weakened HP Fire, but Surf is kinda underwhelming when outside of it. It's all up to you.

Hope I was able to help! Good luck with the team!

Set

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Sleep Talk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)