SM OU OU Sun Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.03.10 PM.png

This is a hyper offensive sun team I whipped up and was hoping for some comments and help improving it. Thank you for your feedback!

Torkoal is the key member to this team and is essential as the sun setter to this sun hyper offensive team. Max special defense helps live a lot of hits many people don’t expect torkoal to live, and in turn can be used to set up rocks or deal some solid damage. Torkoal is also the teams spinner which is important with charizard before mega evolving. Be careful that people often try and bring in volcarona on torkoal and try and set up.
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
Charizard is the wallbreaker of the team and in the sun can two hit KO almost anything. Max speed is good for outspeeding choice scarfers at plus one and max attack for higher damage. Roost over a third attack is good to keep charizard in the game, because you will take a lot of recoil damage. Earthquake is good tech for heatran.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Venusaur is another sun abuser and does it very well from its ability chlorophyll. Growth is great in the sun because it increase both attack and special attack by plus two each. Having earthquake to KO incoming counters like heatran are great. Scizor poses a bit of a problem, but the rest of the team is good at handling it before setting up. Sitrus berry keeps it from being two hit ko’d.

Venusaur @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Growth
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Rotom-Wash as a special wall is useful in situations when sun isn’t up and water types are in a position to deal some damage. It can also help against opposing rain teams. Volt switch is good for momentum, will o wisp catches switches, and pain split keeps rotom healthy.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Focus sash alakazam is strong and has magic guard to prevent its sash from being broken. Threats trying to set up and choice scarfers are countered by this mon. Thunder wave is always useful, and dazzling helps hit dark types, and energy ball can hit random mons that threaten this team like quagsire or swampert.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave
- Energy Ball

Last is a classic offensive landorus set with flyinium z. Three attack swords dance is strong, and the max hp max attack adamant makes it bulky and hit extremely hard. The intimidate is very useful since there's no specific physical wall on the team.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/2g2eCyd0

Attachments

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey indigo467, Sun teams aren't very common, so this is a nice breath of fresh air. There are some changes I would make to this team, however.

First off, I'd change the Torkoal set to this
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
I gave it Will-O-Wisp to target Tyranitar and stop certain Pokemon from being threats. I gave it min speed to outspeed things in Trick Room.

Next, I'd change the Venusaur set to this
Venusaur @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Mild Nature
- Growth
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
I gave it a Life Orb so that it can hit things harder, as this is your sweeper. Giga Drain restores HP anyway, so you don't need to worry about longevity. I changed its EV spread so that it has just enough speed to outspeed Shift Gear Mageanra at +2 speed. Any more speed is unnecessary, as it's not enough to outspeed Hawlucha or anything like that.

I'm also going to change the Alakazam set to this
Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Counter
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I gave it Counter to be able to kill Tyranitar and other physical threats in conjunction with the Focus Sash. HP Fire is for Scizor/Kartana/Ferrothorn and for Celesteela switch ins in the sun.

Next, I'll change the Rotom-W set to this
Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
Thunder Wave is for Kingdra on rain teams which otherwise bully this team. Iapapa Berry is chosen over Leftovers because, as this is HO, Rotom isn't going to be trying to wait out the battle. It's of much more use having a "second life" rather than slowly healing, as games are not going to be taking that long with HO.

Finally, I would change the Landorus set to this
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
Max Speed is necessary on Z-Move Landorus or else it gets outsped by things like Zygarde, Defensive Zapdos, and the like. I gave it U-Turn for momentum and the ability to bluff that you have Choice Scarf.

I hope that you enjoy the changes I made to the team. Here it is after my changes
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Growth
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Counter
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

If you want to discuss anything further, let me know :)

Last edited:
I gave it Counter to be able to kill Tyranitar and other physical threats in conjunction with the Focus Sash. HP Fire is for Scizor/Kartana/Ferrothorn and for Celesteela switch ins in the sun.

Nice suggestions, I'm following your comments and I'll try this team, but don't you think Alakazam is too much fast in some cases to use Counter?

Hey, in response to your question Counter has negative priority, so it always goes last regardless of speed. This combined with a sash and magic guard make it a great ‘counter’ to physical attackers like t-tar like Diophantine said!

Hey, in response to your question Counter has negative priority, so it always goes last regardless of speed. This combined with a sash and magic guard make it a great ‘counter’ to physical attackers like t-tar like Diophantine said!
Thanks Ray.. I was reading about that and could not find on Smogon descriptions. .

Hey, most of all the best stuff has already been said, but I'd actually like to argue that you might not want torkoal to be your remover, due to the fact that everyone who has half a brain cell is running rocks, and torkoal takes 25% just from them. And if you were to bring torkoal in on ferrothorn to pressure it but actually remove hazards, if they call your bluff, they can stay in and either knock off you or set leech seed, and you would take even more chip damage from iron barbs. And I know ghosts are dead but that still doesn't help your case. Instead, I'd keep earthpower on torkoal, or if you were worried about volc so much and want to be cheeky, maybe explosion. Rotom is a much better hazard remover, as the evasion drop can make sure you hit hydro pump/willo/twave anyways. Diophantine brought up the cool idea of Twave, but I'd run only one status move, so take your pick of either twave or willo, imo. But, um, that's my two cents. Hopefully this was at least a little bit helpful.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey, most of all the best stuff has already been said, but I'd actually like to argue that you might not want torkoal to be your remover, due to the fact that everyone who has half a brain cell is running rocks, and torkoal takes 25% just from them. And if you were to bring torkoal in on ferrothorn to pressure it but actually remove hazards, if they call your bluff, they can stay in and either knock off you or set leech seed, and you would take even more chip damage from iron barbs. And I know ghosts are dead but that still doesn't help your case. Instead, I'd keep earthpower on torkoal, or if you were worried about volc so much and want to be cheeky, maybe explosion. Rotom is a much better hazard remover, as the evasion drop can make sure you hit hydro pump/willo/twave anyways. Diophantine brought up the cool idea of Twave, but I'd run only one status move, so take your pick of either twave or willo, imo. But, um, that's my two cents. Hopefully this was at least a little bit helpful.
Hey, thanks for the input - discussion is always good. You brought up a good point about hazard removal. I'm not sure anyone in their right mind would stay in with Ferrothorn when it can potentially be an Alakazam switch in or use it as a U-Turn switch in to Landorus to chip it away. It's also a switch in to Rotom. Furthermore, only Torkoal and Zard really care about hazards. Toxic Spikes are taken care of by Venusaur, and half the team doesn't take any damage from spikes. Keep in mind that this is a Hyper Offense team, so longevity isn't what the focus is on. I think that Will-o-Wisp is good on Torkoal and Rotom because of Zygarde, Hawlucha and Tyranitar that may try and take advantage of it. Plus, other than Heatran, I don't see what Earth Power actually hits. Torkoal doesn't have the greatest SpAtk.

Defog on Rotom is something to consider. However the team needs Thunder Wave on it to take care of Kingdra/water spam on rain teams. Also, TWave + Will-o has been run on Rotom sets in the past including ABR and Blunder's famous ORAS Volt-Turn team (it's in the ORAS sample teams if you want to check it out).

Hey indigo467, Sun teams aren't very common, so this is a nice breath of fresh air. There are some changes I would make to this team, however.

First off, I'd change the Torkoal set to this
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
I gave it Will-O-Wisp to target Tyranitar and stop certain Pokemon from being threats. I gave it min speed to outspeed things in Trick Room.

Next, I'd change the Venusaur set to this
Venusaur @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Growth
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
I gave it a Life Orb so that it can hit things harder, as this is your sweeper. Giga Drain restores HP anyway, so you don't need to worry about longevity. I changed its EV spread so that it has just enough speed to outspeed Shift Gear Mageanra at +2 speed. Any more speed is unnecessary, as it's not enough to outspeed Hawlucha or anything like that.

I'm also going to change the Alakazam set to this
Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Counter
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Next, I'll change the Rotom-W set to this
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
Thunder Wave is for Kingdra on rain teams which otherwise bully this team. Iapapa Berry is chosen over Leftovers because, as this is HO, Rotom isn't going to be trying to wait out the battle. It's of much more use having a "second life" rather than slowly healing, as games are not going to be taking that long with HO.

Finally, I would change the Landorus set to this
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
Max Speed is necessary on Z-Move Landorus or else it gets outsped by things like Zygarde, Defensive Zapdos, and the like. I gave it U-Turn for momentum and the ability to bluff that you have Choice Scarf.

I hope that you enjoy the changes I made to the team. Here it is after my changes
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Growth
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Counter
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

If you want to discuss anything further, let me know :)
I would also consider running Rotom as your hazard removal, as Torkoal tends to lose to most setters in the tier and you don't really want it dying off early. Maybe run EP or Toxic over Spin, and run Defog on Rotom-W instead.

OK so I think I am quite experienced with Sun teams (peaked around 1700 with it) and I would like to suggest few changes.
Firstly Rotom - w --> Tapu Koko
-In my opinion Rotow w is in this situation outclassed by Tapu Koko. Koko provides defog, better matchup versus rain, has u - turn which is better against ground types such as swampert and gastrodon. You can run shuca berry and switch into an earthquake as well. Generally it can also provide fairy-type coverage that the team lacks.
Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-Turn
- Hidden Power Fire
- Dazzling Gleam / Roost
Secondly Torkoal's set
-You have probably noticed that Heatran is one of the strongest pokemon against sun and it is one of the often switch-ins into Torkoal. Because of that I suggest switching Lava Plume to Earthquake. You can usually easly predict Heatran and catch it on switch.
Torkoal @ Heat Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake
Thirdly I would like to suggest switching Sitrius Berry on Venusaur for Life Orb.

Lastly Here is a list of Pokemon you might want to consider when building a Sun team
- Mega Charizard Y can switch into eartquakes, check Heatran with Focus Blast and summon sun in late game. It is an incredibly powerful wallbreaker under the sun that also provides Grass-type coverage on top of everything.
-Mega Houndoom is another unbelievably strong wallbreaker under the sun. With Solar power in conjunction with nasty plot and sun-boosted fire blast it can 2HKO even Chansey and OHKOs everything else bar Heatran. It also posseses secondary STAB in form of Dark Pulse. However it is very squishy and finds it very difficult to set-up. Furthermore it is vulnerable to faster pokemon and is weak to Earthquake and Stealth Rocks. Morover Solar Power, while giving him strong SA boost, comes with a cost of HP making it even more vulnerable and fairly unreliable.
-Darmanitan is another terrifying sweeper under the Sun with its Sun and Sheer Force boosted Flare Blitz coming off a base 140 attack, and a Choice Scarf to outspeed everything except other Scarfers. It usually runs U-turn for momentum, EQ for Heatran and Rock Slide for Volc and other Flying things. Its does kill itself with Flare Blitz's recoil however it usually takes 2 Pokemon with itself.

Hope i helped :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)