OU Swords Dance Kartana (QC 1/1) (GP 1/1)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Kartana @ Fightinium Z / Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off / Defog / Smart Strike

Thanks to its decent physical bulk and good set of resistances, Kartana finds a lot of opportunities to set up versus common Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T and Ferrothorn, and its high Speed stat, astronomical Attack stat, and access to Knock Off, as well as its nuclear Z-Moves that allow it to break through checks like Zapdos and Celesteela, make Kartana very difficult for defensive teams to take on. However, Kartana's paper-thin Special Defense stat makes it vulnerable to a number of very dangerous fast special attackers like Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Mega Latios, but using Assault Vest Tapu Bulu as a teammate remedies this because it can both set up Grassy Terrain to strengthen Kartana's Grass-type moves and use its bulk to survive a hit from them and KO in return. Also, if it doesn't carry either Smart Strike or Grassium Z, Kartana can be taken advantage of by Hawlucha. However, bulky Pokemon like Toxic Landorus-T and Clefable can be used as teammates to handle it.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is WIP until I sort out cutting this down to meet the character limit tomorrow

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Mega Scizor,
you dont set-up on mega scizor because it uturns and they see you clicked sd so they just go greninja or koko

it falls short of the ever-important 110 Speed tier, leaving it vulnerable to teams faster Pokemon like Mega Latios and Gengar.
the 110 speed tier isnt a huge thing the way it used to be in older gens; gengar is hardly relevant so just talk about how kartana falls short of outspeeding common offensive threats like koko, greninja, and mlatios

Also, if it doesn't carry Smart Strike or Grassium Z, Kartana can be easily taken advantage of by Hawlucha, which is both omnipresent and very dangerous.
I mean hawlucha can only set up once and if you have a clefable / tapu koko / zapdos in the back you'll probably be fine but you can leave this; just remove easily because the meta has honestly adapted a great deal and autolosing to hawlucha is a lot rarer

1/1

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
boost versus common Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor
I mean this isn’t wrong but realistically Scizor is just uturning out into something faster like koko or mlatios
I’d mention zmoves in the part where you talk about its astronomical atk stat making it difficult to handle cause they really make it a log more threatening and is worth pointing out, mention how stuff like zapper cant take a zmove after rocks etc
Maybe dont mention gengar in stuff that outspeeds cause it sucks idk if u can find a better example
1/1 gg

Maybe dont mention gengar in stuff that outspeeds cause it sucks idk if u can find a better example
i disagree with this, gengar is the best its been in a while thanks to people discovering z hex, id definitely mention it being outsped by gengar

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
i disagree with this, gengar is the best its been in a while thanks to people discovering z hex, id definitely mention it being outsped by gengar
ive used z hex a ton and the point is that gengar is not good enough to warrant mentioning in a 5 sentence spotlight on one of the most dominant pokemon in the tier. he's using the paragaph to illustrate problems with kartana and gengar is not relevant enough to warrant mentioning

to put it bluntly, gengar is not a reason to not use kartana

ive used z hex a ton and the point is that gengar is not good enough to warrant mentioning in a 5 sentence spotlight on one of the most dominant pokemon in the tier. he's using the paragaph to illustrate problems with kartana and gengar is not relevant enough to warrant mentioning

to put it bluntly, gengar is not a reason to not use kartana
oh yeah im not saying it's a reason to not use kartana but it doesn't suck

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Kartana @ Fightinium Z / Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off / Defog / Smart Strike

Thanks to its decent physical bulk and its good set of resistances, Kartana finds a lot of opportunities to boost set up versus common Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T and Ferrothorn, and its high Speed stat, astronomical Attack stat, and access to Knock Off, and as well as its nuclear Z-Moves (AH) being nuclear enough to that allow it to break through checks like Zapdos and Celesteela, (AC) make Kartana mean it is very difficult for defensive teams to take Kartana on. However, its Kartana's paper-thin Special Defense stat makes it vulnerable to a number of very dangerous Pokemon fast special attackers like Ash-Greninja, (AC) (AH) and Tapu Koko, and Mega Latios, but using Assault Vest Tapu Bulu as a teammate remedies this because it can both set up Grassy Terrain to strengthen Kartana's Grass-type moves and use its bulk to survive a hit from them and KO in return while its speed is certainly very good for a Pokemon in its role, it still falls short of "slower" fast Pokemon like Mega Latios. Also, if it doesn't carry either Smart Strike or Grassium Z, Kartana can be taken advantage of by Hawlucha, (RC) which is both omnipresent and very dangerous. (talked to sed on ps) However, bulky Pokemon like Toxic Landorus-T and Clefable can be used as teammates to handle it. (AP)
GP 1/1

I spoke with Finchinator on PS about the lengthy additions I made, as normally spotlights shouldn't end with a Pokemon's flaws; that will just cause the reader to think, "why is it getting a spotlight if it has so many issues?" Spotlights should instead end on ways to fix said flaws via team support or something else. I'm tagging Finchinator so he can look over this and correct something by editing my post just in case my addition was a bit off.

Last edited:

Martin

I was gonna implement ^ yesterday but didn't get a chance to get to my comp. Implemented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)