SM OU OU Team: Volt Turn + Espeon (Peak 1780)

Yo,

This is a team I've been using on ladder lately. Peaked at ±1780 ELO with it.
The concept of the team is using a lot of Voltturn mons, and a Magic Bounce user to go with them.
This discourages my opponent from clicking stealth rock while I'm pivoting around my team.
The real goal of this team isn't to reach high ranks, but rather to make the most out of Espeon, so please don't suggest to ditch the Espeon.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
Since this is a Voltturn Team, it doesn't appreciate rocks.
Rotom-W is a reliable defogger with access to Volt Switch, which makes it a good fit for this team.
Wisp can render mons like Ferrothorn or Skarm close to useless offensively. After defogging away the hazards and burning the hazard setter, Espeon becomes a great switch-in against them.
People tend to disrespect this Pokemon and switch in their Heatran against it.
This makes Hydro Pump kinda mandatory, which unfortunately doesn't leave room for Pain Split.

Rotom can also survive+2 HJK from a Hawlucha from full after rocks, allowing it to volt switch out and letting Scizor finish the job with BP.

Greninja (M) @ Icium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- U-turn
Greninja is one of the fastest U-Turners in the tier, and a versatile hitter.
I think Protean making every move STAB is better for this Greninja, as it's often just going to U-turn out.
Additionally, Dark Pulse isn't really necessary for anything in SM OU. And Ash-Greninja's extra speed doesn't really matter, as the only things it surpasses because of its boost are Tapu Koko and Weavile, for which respectively Bulu and Scizor are great checks.

Protean + Z-move tends to bluff a scarf, which enables the subzero slammer to catch threats like opposing Bulu, Zapdos and Tangrowth off guard.
Ice beam is also nice in general against water resists.
Scald is there cause water is a good type that hits everything and well... I really hate missing Hydro Pump.
Extrasensory is there to do 60 % to Toxapex. Which is sad, but necessary.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Swords Dance
After hitting something with your Voltturns, you'll want to to something that can take hits.
Mega Scizor has incredible bulk and has the recovery option in Roost.
This usually allows him to take a hit, take another hit and get a slow U-Turn off.
Bullet Punch can finish everything that barely survives a kill, and chips away frail mons like mega Zam nicely.
Swords Dance+BP can be a lategame cleanup plan, or it allows Scizor to break through walls like Chansey or Hippowdon when needed.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
Landorus is usually a mon that punishes opposing physical attackers.
Ideally, it can get off its intimidate, deal helmet damage, force them out and get up rocks.
It has a considerable amount of spDEF, which allows it to survive a Fire Blast from Zard Y (most of the time) or +1 Volcarona, and swat it with a Stone Edge in return. It typically does need to stay at full when facing these mons.

Earthquake is there for STAB, U-Turn for momentum. You know, it's a Landorus.

It has only 29 speed EV's to get off slow U-Turns against opposing Lando's.

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick
Espeon is there with the ominous Magic Bounce.
This will force people to think twice before clicking Stealth Rock/Spikes/Will-O-Wisp/...
Sadly, it's frail and it doesn't do that much damage either.
To compensate for this, we're adding Specs. Now it does deal damage.

Psyshock as a main STAB allows it to do good damage to most things.
Signal Beam is there to hit Dark types. It also gets access to Dazzling Gleam, but Signal Beam hits Mew and Kartana harder. For other mons you'd like Dazzling Gleam, you can usually just Psyshock instead.
HP Fire is mainly there for Ferrothorn. Espeon loves to bounce its hazards, but can't take 2 hits from a Ferro if it's not burned.
Trick is nice to stop mons like Clef from setting up, or to nullify Chansey.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
As a last, there's AV Bulu. This can soak special hits and hit ridiculously hard in return.

This beats every other Tapu 1v1, and gives Rain teams a really hard time switching in.
It's also a good mon to pivot into against most special attacks, can check Hydreigon or Greninja when predicted correctly.
Wood Hammer and Horn Leech are there for the hard terrain boosted hits, with the choice of extra power or recovery.
Superpower helps me deal with the Heatran problem, and causes opposing Scizor to be less of a counter to this.
Stone Edge can catch Zard/Volcarona/Victini off guard, especially when the Stone Edge is already revealed on the Lando.

This only takes around 55% from Rotom's Hydro Pump for some reason, which is the best switch-in on the team.
This is a wallbreaker that essentially break ALL of my walls.
Killing it requires a lot of work too for this team (something like subzero slammer, sac Greninja and finish it with BP)
The only setup mon on my team, Scizor, gets walled pretty hard by this.
Running both fire and ice makes this mon very hard to switch in to for my team.
Additionally, there's the same problem as with Zard Y,that few things on the team can kill it, especially since it roosts in between.
Even though Zygarde only hits with ground and normal moves, every Zygarde set requires you to play around it differently.
Bulu can be an answer if it doesn't sub + glare hax you to death, Gren can't revenge it if it sets up a dd.
I hope you enjoy checking out the team, let me know what you think!
It's a decent team, but I'm positive it's still up for improvement.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)