OU team without weather!? Who does that?

So I made this team, basically because I tried hail stall and it didn't really work for me. I decided to keep my core defenses but tie in a little more offense. The result worked much better than I ever expected. This team does have a few drawbacks and I'm looking to correct those. So hopefully you guys can give a little help so this team can really shine! Oh btw it peaked at 41 on po's smogon server.

Conkeldurr
Ability: Iron fist
Nature: Adamant
Item: Leftovers
252atk / 132hp / 120def
-Substitute
-Focus punch
-Payback
-Mach punch
This guy is a boss. Basic sub-punch set. OHKO's ttars with mach punch. After putting him in here, he quickly became my favorite fighting type. Whether it's the most power focus punch/mach punch in the game or the way he punishes ghosts with payback, this guy is awesome. Also, has anyone who has had experience with both bulk up and subpunch conks want to give me info on which is better? Thanks.

Porygon2
Ability: Trace
Nature: Bold
Item: Eviolite
252hp / 120def / 132spedef
-Toxic
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Thunderbolt
First blissey, then chansey, now Porygon2! This little rubber ducky does all that chansey can (except wish) and he has coverage for my team, boltbeam. He is nearly as bulky as chansey, but his ability to actually be offensive made me decide on him^.

Latias
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
Item: Soul Dew
4hp / 252spatk / 252spd
-calm mind
-dragon pulse
-roar
-recover
I used to have Latios in this slot, but his bulk did not perform very well. So, I traded him for his sister, Latios. She has exactly the same stats as Latios, except spatk and spdef stats are swtiched. I send Latias in on opponents who wont do much damage, then set up. With two or three calm minds under her belt, she can sweep very very hard. She is also fast so a combination of speed and bulk and power (with calm minds) i have swept many teams to the ground.

Gliscor
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
Item: Toxic Orb
252hp / 184def / 68spe
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Taunt
-Protect
Put Gliscor in here for a defensive core pokemon and to counter sand teams. EQ kills excadrills and Tyranitars while taunt prevents setups. Ice fang for coverage against dragon, flying, and ground types too. Gliscor is an amazing physical wall, capable of stopping fighting types in their tracks. Also, he is my status absorber with poison heal.

Ferrothorn
Ability: Iron barbs
252hp / 172 def / 80spdef
ivs: 0spd
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
-Power Whip
-Gyro ball
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
My lead. Sets up stealth rocks like cake and stops many anti-leads. Leech seed and leftovers make for his recovery mode. Pretty basic here, after all he is one of the most used pokemon in the metagame. Wondering what I should use in the 2nd slot. Need help on that!

Gengar
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Item: Life Orb
4hp / 252spatk / 252spe
-hp fire
-Focus Blast
-Psychic
-Shadow ball
Originally had a scarfed chandelure in this slot, but his many weaknesses (including stealth rock) urged me to change him out. Gengar is a good choice, with almost the same exact moveset as my chandelure. With a life orb he'll hit just as hard and a timid nature allows him to outspeed many threats while still not being bound to a choice item.

Threats:
Thundurus
Breloom-switch into gengar, psychic.
Ferrothorn-Usually gengar can take 90% of his health down with hidden power, but a gyro ball back will always kill him. Conkeldurr hurts him pretty badly. If either of those two are down then its game for the opponent.

Thanks for reading! Input is greatly appreciated!

Drop HP Flying for Psychic on Chandelure. Psychic has 20 more base power than the strongest Hidden Power, without the loss of any IVs. Also, since it's running an all-attacking set, you could throw on a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs if you so desire.

Ok then. I'll put chansey in for blissey. Since she doesn't get health back from abomasnow's hail, I'll replace abomasnow with ferrothorn. I chose ferrothorn for the grass that I'm losing with abomasnow.

Please if you dont have your facts straight kuntekinte dont run your mouth. Soul dew is in fact not illegal but is only available for use in the dream world tier which is still legal.

You should definitely put a Gliscor on your team, seeing as you need a physically bulky pokemon to supplement Chansey, and that you have trouble with Toxicroak and Breloom. Gliscor can wall both of these threats all day long. I suggest you switch your Jirachi for this Gliscor set:

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Ice Fang
move 4: Taunt
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe

You should definitely put a Gliscor on your team, seeing as you need a physically bulky pokemon to supplement Chansey, and that you have trouble with Toxicroak and Breloom. Gliscor can wall both of these threats all day long. I suggest you switch your Jirachi for this Gliscor set:

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Ice Fang
move 4: Taunt
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Thanks, thats a good idea I'll update this list with him. Do you think it would be any good to get rid of SD and run protect instead?

Anybody have any thoughts on chandelure? With a scarf he lacks the power of lifeorb/specs and seems to get OHKO'd a ton. Maybe I should replace him? Or just tweak his set?

Gliscor can't run Roost with Poison Heal and Ferrothorn can't learn spikes, stealth rock, and leech seed, so get rid of that slash for spikes.
Otherwise good team

firstly chansey outclasses blissey 10 to 1 and if you want a physical wall try gliscor ferrothorn or skarm
Get your facts right. Chansey don't just "outclass" it. Blissey have a higher SpA. You might think it will not help but in fact, it does. Not just that. It has access to Leftovers. Now, think. In this Weather-whored meta, Leftovers is considered crucial in terms of survivability. Of course, defense wise, Chansey is better. But it's just something to think about.

And, your EVs for Gliscor do not add up to 508.

Get your facts right. Chansey don't just "outclass" it. Blissey have a higher SpA. You might think it will not help but in fact, it does. Not just that. It has access to Leftovers. Now, think. In this Weather-whored meta, Leftovers is considered crucial in terms of survivability. Of course, defense wise, Chansey is better. But it's just something to think about.

And, your EVs for Gliscor do not add up to 508.
Well I'll use chansey because I dont have weather on my team and she has no special attacks. I also fixed gliscors evs.

I used Chandelure and thought it was relatively weak... defensive wise that is. I would consider Gengar as a replacement. I know it doesn't have bulk either, but it is a lot faster (110>80 speed) and it still has three immunities (fighting, normal and ground, with levitate), whilst keeping a nice 130 base Sp. Atk to deal a lot of damage. I never used Gengar, but i suggest a set like this:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs and Nature: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Sp; Jolly/Modest
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt/Energy Ball/Dark Pulse/Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt/Energy Ball/Dark Pulse/Focus Blast

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

This team is pretty weak to Calm Mind Reuniclus. since most of them run Psyshock as their STAB move, it will easily be able to break through Latias, who is probably your only hope to stop it. Chandelure can damage it, but once it got enough Calm Mind (once at +2 you won't be able to 2HKO it!), it will beat you pretty easily. That's why you should swap Latias' coverage move (Surf or HP Fire) for Roar. Roar let you win any boosting battle, so when you phaze Reuniclus, if he tries to come back he's destroyed by +6 Dragon Pulse. Pretty cool indeed.

Also, since you're running a stallish team, you should get a rapid spinner. A lot of powerful attackers will KO you after Stealth Rock damage, which really isn't an ideal situation on your kind of team. Furthermore, Chandelure is weak to it, and since it's a choiced pokemon, it will switch in and out very often. This is really making its average lifespan very short. Since it is your only way to kill Thundurus, you do not want it to die early. Even though viable Rapid Spinners are rare, they exist. Maybe you should change Gliscor for Donphan? Donphan is able to beat Excadrill too, and it learns Rapid Spin. It can also learn Stealth Rock, so you can swap it for Spikes on your Ferrothorn. It also has the ever useful Ice Shard, so your team isn't left defenseless against Salamence and Dragonite. Here, the Donphan set you should run :

Donphan @ Leftovers
Impish
Sturdy
EVs : 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 Def
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock

The EV spread allows you to have some attack while not being 2HKOed by Excadrill's Adamant LO Earthquake after Stealth Rock.

@Captain Dragon: Gengar sounds like a terrific idea, levitate is definatly what I need.

@Steeli: Donphan is also a good idea. He seems on par with gliscor. I haven't had a chance to test gliscor yet, but I'll definatly have to give donphan a go. They also have the same coverage moves. I'll have to test each then it'll probably be up to preference. Thanks for the help!
Gliscor:
Pros:Walls fighting types
better speed
taunt
good recovery mode
status absorber
Cons:
4x weak to ice
no rapid spin
weaker attack stat

Donphan:
higher attack
rapid spin
ice shard(makes up for a little slowness)
stealth rock
hes an elephant
Cons:
Slow
Harder time walling fighting types (breloom)
does not prevent setup with taunt

I'll update my team as soon as I give them both a go.

Hey I see you picked my Gengar.. that makes me happy ^^ I'm happy I helped.
I forgot the hp Fire when i wrote down the set, but it's good of you to add that, it's kind of needed, especially as Gengar replaces Chandelure. Although you could also pick hp Fighting, as Focus Blast is so annoyingly unprecise, and then instead of hp fire Thunderbolt or something.

Now with Chandelure out of the way, you actually don't think a spinner imo. Just keep Gliscor, it's a good thing to have Taunt and he also walls fighting types etc. Gliscor is in this case just superior to donphan, you don't need Donphan.

It looks like a great team now... maybe you could change iron fist on Conkeldurr for guts as it's an unreleased DW ability, but if you're playing in the DW Wifi tier I should shut up about that. Maybe run Uturn instead of protect on Gliscor? it allows some cool scouting to your team, especially along with roar on Latias.

I hope i helped yet again,
Cap'n

@Captain Dragan
If I keep iron fist, I can put soul dew on Latias. So I'll do that
I might just try out u-turn, but protect does make for a good opportunity to gain some lost damage.

Also: is thunder wave or gyro ball better on ferrothorn?

Try Porygon2 instead of Chansey. It still has over 400 SDef and over 500 Def with Eveolite, and has a better SAtk, plus BoltBeam or Tri Attack. Otherwise, great team.

@Axmaster68
Thanks, now I look over my team and realize i have no bolts OR beams so porygon2 is great for that.. He also gets toxic. He lacks wish, but I guess he can make that up with offense. I'll update with him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)