OU SM OU - Teambuilding Competition : October 2023 Revival (Week 1: Seismitoad on post #290)

Katy

Banned deucer.
Mega Medicham goes ham with Specs Tapu Koko and Scarf Greninja - Hazard Stack offense!

:garchomp: :greninja: :landorus-therian: :medicham-mega: :tapu koko: :magearna:

pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/3a9f721119744498

this team is built with choice specs tapu koko and mega medicham which can overpower many pokemon on their own, but paired with rockium z garchomp and spikes protean greninja, which adds as a speed control, this team can be threatening. since this team can be weak to volcarona, ive added protean greninja with scarf on it and rock slide, because when garchomp is gone i can still rely on greninja. magearna is there to check opposing tapu koko, also tornadus-t, tapu lele, and ash greninja. landorus-t is the defensive defogegr on this team and it deals with ground-types such as opposing landorus-t and also garchomp. it can also serve as a check to mega medicham and mega mawile.​

:Tapu_Koko: :Alakazam_Mega: :Tapu_Lele: :Toxapex: :Landorus_Therian: :Rotom_Wash:
I tried to make a psychic spam team with koko as an option for breaking as well as the psychic types. Tspike pex is very hard to deal with when other things are already punching holes in the enemies team. Koko with CM electrium while also having u turn still lets it do its job as a koko which is press buttons. And ala+lele hit extremely hard.

Mega Scizor+Specs Koko

:sm/scizor-mega::sm/tapu-koko::sm/heatran::sm/kommo-o::sm/landorus-therian::sm/rotom-wash:

I chose to build around Koko and Mega scizor, as they both complement each other. Scizor can get rid of grass types like bulu or tangrowth and switch on kartana and ground types if needed, therefore cleaning the field for Koko. Koko is choice specs to inflict as much damage as possible, chipping away annoying mons for scizor such as heatran. The defensive core of this team is Kommo-o and Heatran: Heatran checks psychic, fire, and volcarona while kommo-o tanks water attacks, focus blast for heatran, and ash greninja. Landorus gives the team a ground immunity, speed with the scarf and a defog option. Finally, rotom completes the team as the Z move user (surprises a lot of opponents), ground remover and a rain answer.
hope you will enjoy this team.

:scizor-mega::tapu-koko::heatran::kommo-o::landorus-therian::rotom-wash:
click me

Last edited:
Tapu-Koko + MegaZam Balanced Offense
:Tapu-Koko::Alakazam-Mega::Landorus-Therian::Toxapex::Clefable::Celesteela:

I started the build with Z-Wild Charge Tapu Koko since it's a fairly unseen set and then added Mega-Alakazam since it appreciates the koko lure for specially defensive mons like Chansey. I then added a defensive lando-t, which helps with Heatran, gives me a ground-type pivot and defog along with a toxapex which is my ash-gren answer. Finally, I added my steel which is celesteela, which along with the modest hp ice Mega Alakazam, helps with grounds, especially Gliscor.

This team can be fairly passive at times, since the main source of offense is z-Koko and modest Mega Alakazam, as such you need to make the z-move count. Mega Latias is also a problem hence the clefable has thunder wave, to help with that.

I've to thank the people in the SM Discord for helping me improve the team, especially Skypenguin and Magnum :)

Edit: Forgot to make the Lando-t Iapapa​

Last edited:

spell

breathe again in the world anew
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Hi, I will be taking over this project now (Magnum has decided to take his leave from hosting). With regards to the ''Leaderboard'' system that he proposed, I will be keeping that intact. Will probably cut down season length from 20 weeks to a shorter amount of time depending on participation from the community (yes, you). With that out of the way, let's get into the meat & potatoes...

Week 11

:ss/rotom-wash:

Rotom-W is one of SM's champion pivot 'mons. Being able to fit on a wide variety of teams and help facilitate their numerous threats that range from Kyurem-Black to Mega Alakazam. Due to it having a ground-type immunity and access to Hydro Pump, Volt Switches from Rotom-W stand uncontested as premier blockers such as Gliscor and Landorus-T drop to a Pump or a Z-Water in the case of SD Gliscor. Defog, Wisp, Thunder Wave, Pain Split, Trick on Choice Scarfed sets... the amount of support roles and utility Rotom-W provides to the builder is nothing short of incredible which lends itself to why it has been virtually spammed in the early weeks of SPL XIII. What exactly can you build with the washer?

Submissions end Sunday the 30th at 11:59 GMT -4. Descriptions, replays and all are not required but are greatly appreciated so as to ease the voting process for the voters; giving a short paragraph or more about the teambuilding process and the like should bolster your chance at being voted for!

Edit: extending the deadline -> 6th of feb

Last edited:

DIYUSI

formerly KaiserKaiba
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Charizard-Mega-Y + Garchomp Z-Dragon Offense

:SM/Charizard-Mega-Y: :SM/Garchomp: :SM/Weavile: :SM/Magearna: :SM/Rotom-Wash: :SM/Landorus-Therian:
Hi, as you can see on the title, this team was build around the core of Charizard-Mega-Y and Garchomp. The idea is that, usually, Latias-Mega is a common check to Garchomp. With Z-Dragon, we can try to bait it and open the path for Charizard-Mega-Y. Before we continue with the sets, I will be honest, the team was not that successful for my tournament games (like always with Charizard-Mega-Y, this is always MU-dependent), but the team is still fun and a more offensive approach of this kind of build.

Sets:

:Charizard-Mega-Y: Nothing too fancy on the set, Charizard-Mega-Y is a powerful wallbreaker which is a pain to contain for some famous defensive core (Magearna - Rotom-Wash - Landorus-Therian for example). Also, with its dual-type and its "decent" bulk, Charizard-Mega-Y can serve as a soft-check for grass-type like Kartana or Bulu. Finally, one of the main appeal of the pokemon is its ability to abuse Ferrothorn and Scizor-Mega.

:Garchomp: Honestly, Z-Rock with Stone Edge is perfectly fine if you don't like Z-Dragon (especially because of Outrage), but Z-Dragon increase Garchomp's breaking ability. Overall, the main task of Garchomp is to pressure Toxapex and Heatran while providing a soft fire-resist (for Heatran, Victini and other Charizard-Mega-Y mainly) and hazard support. Another thing to take into account is the fact that, without Z-Rock, Steel birds (Celesteela and Skarmory) and Bulu can now check this Garchomp. But, you already guessing, Charizard-Mega-Y is perfectly able to abuse them.

:Weavile: Even with the lure of Garchomp, Weavile's support is needed. Indeed, without it, it would be a pain to make progress on Chansey and such. On this team, Weavile serve its purpose as a breaker that greatly pressure Psychics and pokemons that fear Knock Off.

:Magearna: The first piece of our defensive backbone. Assault Vest Magearna is a classic in this kind of offense. Able to provide Volt-Turn support and a check to Alakazam-Mega/Lele, Ash-Greninja and many other things; Magearna is always a strong asset for every offense. For the set, if Fleur Cannon, Volt-Switch and Ice Beam are probably mandatory, Iron Head can be replaced depending of the MU. If Iron Head is obviously good for Clefable Calm Mind, Explosion is another good option for Volcarona (which is also a pain for the team).

:Rotom-Wash: The "star" of this week. It will be played with his classic defensive set. Like Magearna, it will provide Volt-Turn and check many things (Swampert-Mega, Tornadus-Therian, Landorus-Therian,... ). Iapapa Berry is prefered here to give a second life, especially when Rotom-Wash has the role of the main defogger (which is obviously mandatory with Charizard-Mega-Y).

:Landorus-Therian: The last pokemon of our team. Because of our lack of real speed control, Landorus-Therian will be played with Choice Scarf (with enough speed for Alakazam-Mega). Like the two aforementioned, Landorus-Therian will provide Volt-Turn support, a "check" to some important threats of the tier (Lopunny-Mega, Garchomp,... ) and, finally, an emergency defog to relieve stress on Rotom-Wash.

This is all for the team. Thanks to have read this presentation!

Nidoking Offense:

:Lopunny-Mega: :Nidoking: :Greninja: :Rotom-Wash: :Landorus-Therian: :Ferrothorn:

(S/O to Clementine to gived me teams with Nidoking and explained briefly what Nidoking can achieve in this metagame)​

Introduction:
I always wanted to use Nidoking in SM OU. It is a really good pokemon with a lot of fun options. The main core of this team is around :Lopunny-Mega:, Battle Bound :Greninja: and :Nidoking:. To be honest with you, this core was completly robbed from a certain team, but, even if the original team is already strong, I wanted to add my personal touch and try to build an even more offensive team than the original version. Let's explain now the team!

The Team:

Like I said before, the team is made around the core of Lopunny-Mega, Nidoking and Battle Bound Greninja. First of all, Nidoking and Greninja forms a very logical core: :Nidoking: is able to pressure almost every Greninja's checks (:Ferrothorn:, Assault Vest :Magearna:, :Tapu Fini:, :Toxapex:, :Tapu Bulu:, ...), helping in that way :Greninja: to sweep opposing team. Secondly, :Lopunny-Mega: is also a famous partner for :Greninja:: both of them form a strong core against any offense/hyper offense while :Lopunny-Mega: will be able to put a real pressure on :Chansey: and :Gastrodon: (also :Lopunny-Mega: loves the breaking support from :Nidoking:).

From this core, I wanted to really go for a very offensive build (while keeping a decent backbone). This is why I go for these 3 pokemons: :Rotom-Wash:, :Landorus-Therian:, :Ferrothorn:. In order to keep this offensive mindset, I chose Z-Thunder :Rotom-Wash:. I really like this set because, while :Rotom-Wash: still provide his usual support, the z-move gives to :Rotom-Wash: a nice way to pop off something (in general, I try to catch Toxapex). For the other pokemons, :Landorus-Therian: will be played with the Choice Scarf and, finally, :Ferrothorn: will stick to his usual Spedef Set.

Conclusion:

I hope you will enjoy the team. Thanks to have stayed until the end. See you soon!

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello people of the SM subforum, this project is making a return! Since there were only two submissions for the rotom week we'll revisit it at a later date, and instead focus on this week's star!

Week 11.5 - Mega Lopunny!

:ss/lopunny-mega:

With great offensive stats, an awesome speed tier and two brilliant forms of priority in Fake Out and Quick Attack, Mega Lopunny functions as an fast wallbreaker able to outpace even the likes of Tapu Koko and Ash Greninja. With the combination of great STAB moves in Return and High Jump Kick and its Scrappy ability, a large chunk of the metagame strongly dislikes switching into it - especially if boosted with Power Up Punch. However, Lopunny's lack of initial power and defensive utility, as well as its weakness to residual damage, leaves it struggling against defensive threats like Toxapex. How will you aid this bunny in letting it do big damage to bamboozle your opponents? You have 6 days to make a team featuring Lopunny! Good luck!​

Can't Ghost This Hoe

:lopunny-mega: :mew: :magearna: :serperior: :toxapex: :gliscor:

This team uses Genesis Supernova Mew to kill Toxapex for Mega Lopunny. Magearna handles psychics, Pex & Glisc are a classic core, and Serperior is good vs rain and acts as a secondary win condition.

Bunny is double priority to make a fool out of non screens offence nonsense. Also Adamant nature because damage.​

Healing Wish Punny + Volcarona
:lopunny-mega: :volcarona: :manaphy: :tapu-fini: :landorus-therian: :jirachi:
Click here for the paste
When people think about Lopunny, they only think about its offensive abilities, while this pokemon has a great support movepool ! Encore is great against Toxa or sweepers that will try to setup on it, but I wanted to focus my build around Healing Wish Lopunny.

:lopunny-mega: Lopunny is great against Offense in general, but instead of going for a double priority set, I thought that going for a supportive option would open my building options. Healing Wish gives new opportunities to my win condition, which is ...

:volcarona: Volcarona is busted ! SubSwarm sets are able to break its common checks like Heatran, Toxa or Chansey, Niko's game proves that Volcarona is a threat, even for prepared teams. Modest Volcarona is great, you're hard to revenge kill even at +1 while being Modest, and it gives you better rolls to break through your checks.

:tapu-fini: Fini comes naturally as a partner for Volcarona an Lopunny. Misty terrain is huge, and I needed to check Heatran and AshGren. Thank you Clementine for coming out with this spread. It outspeeds Careful Gliscor and BandBulu, and the invests in bulk makes Fini able to eat a Z Rock from Chomp at +2 : +2 252 Atk Garchomp Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Tapu Fini: 276-325 (80.4 - 94.7%). Fini's typing makes it able to check AshGren and Heatran without any invest.

:manaphy: I needed a breaker, and Fini wasn't enough by itself to handle the Rain MU. Manaphy came to my mind, as a strong breaker and a decent answer to rain teams. The speed allows Manaphy to outspeed Taunt Fini and things like Jolly Swampert, and the remaining EVs were invested in bulk and special attack. I went with Z Water to have a security against Volcarona HOs that are spammed now, but you can go with a Z Psy to break through Toxapex and others bulky waters.

:landorus-therian: I needed a ground and a ground immunity, so Lando came naturally. I also needed an answer to Alakazam, so Scarf Landorus was the best option to fit into my team.

:jirachi: Still didn't have rocks and neither a steel. Jirachi seemed like a good option, giving momentum through U-Turn, rocks while Secret Power is able to spread paralysis among the opposing team, helping out Lopunny, Volcarona and Manaphy to do their respective jobs. If you're not a huge fan of Secret power Jirachi, you can use Healing Wish on the last slot, so you will be going for a Hwish spam. Having 3 Volcaronas is threatening, so you can easily pressure your opponent.

S/o to Clementine for helping me to build this team !

Thank you for reading, and hope you'll enjoy the team !

35738966_1073874479426177_2480020107913330688_o.jpg

Marnie

Leap of Faith
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
Social Media Head
Welcome back Magnum :psytear:

:lopunny-mega::kyurem-black::magnezone::tapu-fini::ferrothorn::landorus-therian:
MLop + Sub Hone Claws KyuB BO
The team revolves around the offensive core of Mega Lopunny + Sub Hone Claws Kyurem-B; the former beats offensive teams especially with its dual priority, while the latter dismantles fat teams easily with its setup and sky-high damage output, both covering for the matchup that the other struggles with. Magnezone helps them by removing problematic Steel-types like Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and, with a Choice Scarf, Swords Dance Kartana, that can just destroy the team. It can also help pressure Fairy-types like Mega Diancie and Clefable. Tapu Fini + Landorus-T + Ferrothorn forms the team's defensive backbone and much needed role compression, soft checking various metagame threats such as Psyspam, rain, etc. Tapu Fini's Misty Terrain also lets Mega Lopunny attack more freely on foes like Static Zapdos and Flame Body Volcarona, and lets Kyurem-B switch into weak status moves like Toxapex's Scald and Toxic and Heatran's Lava Plume if necessary, especially as it can setup in front of the former afterwards. Double Defog to support Kyurem-Black, especially if facing Toxic Spikes.

Last edited:
PUP Punny+Koko Kyurem
----------------------
:lopunny-mega::tapu-koko::kyurem-black::magearna::landorus-therian::rotom-wash:
----------------------​
I chose to build around Lopunny and specs Tapu Koko, as Koko can get rid of annoying bulky mons for M-Lopunny such as Toxapex, Slowbro, Clefable, celesteela, zapdos or just enable Lopunny to enter the terrain easily with volt switch. Kyurem-Black is naturally a great pick with Koko and Lopunny, destroying bulky grass types and ground types for Tapu-Koko and providing immediate power to the team. Power-Up Punch Lopunny is really great versus offense and can allow you to pass fat. Magearna, Landorus, and Rotom form the classic defensive core, great for pivoting into your own threats, controlling hazards, and overall useful vs a lot of matchups (hidden power fire on lando for kartana).
I hope you will enjoy this team.

Last edited:
Can't Ghost This Hoe

:lopunny-mega: :mew: :magearna: :serperior: :toxapex: :gliscor:

This team uses Genesis Supernova Mew to kill Toxapex for Mega Lopunny. Magearna handles psychics, Pex & Glisc are a classic core, and Serperior is good vs rain and acts as a secondary win condition.

Bunny is double priority to make a fool out of non screens offence nonsense. Also Adamant nature because damage.
Cool team, but do you mind if you explain the evs? Also, you have no stealth rocks? Thanks!

Reactions: Rae

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)