OU SM OU - Teambuilding Competition : October 2023 Revival (Week 1: Seismitoad on post #290)

DETONATE-Sticky Web Zard X
:sm/ribombee::sm/excadrill::sm/charizard-mega-x::sm/serperior::sm/bisharp::sm/manaphy:
click on the sprites for the importable

One of the fun experiments with Zard X when I believed in Sticky Web (that style has some huge weaknesses but I tried my best to make it viable).

I initially built the team around Charizard and Manaphy, as water and fire are two offensive types complementing each other during the game, while they both benefit from the speed drop caused by Sticky Web. Unlike ORAS, where I would have chosen a Ghost type to block Rapid Spin, I thought it made more sense to focus entirely on offense, considering that the primary method to remove Sticky Web in SMOU is Defog. With Zard X, I find Ribombee to be the superior Sticky Web setter. Paired with Excadrill, they form a double suicide lead core, ensuring the placement of rocks and Sticky Web while denying hazards on your side.

I believe Swords Dance Charizard X with Sticky Web can be devastating. Flare Blitz and Earthquake are the main attacks here. Flame Charge is a niche choice to outspeed Scarf Landorus or any Pokémon not affected by Sticky Web, turning it into a deadly sweeper. It can be replaced by Roost for more longevity as well. Serperior adds glare support to cripple Pokémon not affected by the Sticky Web and contributes a solid snowball effect to the team, fitting well into Hyper Offense. Taunt is included because it excels at disrupting bulky builds and can open up opportunities for its teammates (substitute is also an option). Speaking of Serperior, I opted to give Manaphy a Rindo Berry to help against THE snake (since Contrary gives it a speed boost due to Sticky Web) but also Kartana.

Finally, I must emphasize that Bisharp is incredible in Hyper Offense. Defiant instills fear in opponents, compelling them not to Defog. If they do, and you anticipate it, you get a nice boost that can transform Bisharp into the winning piece of the game. Also, Sucker Punch from Bisharp always seemed excessively powerful, and the Z move just gives him that extra nuke.

Last edited:

zinnias

formerly AcneAutist
is a Pre-Contributor
Extending votes until 11:59pm GMT-5 Wednesday, 3rd of January. If a winner isn't picked by then I will just randomly pick it between 1 and 2.

zinnias

formerly AcneAutist
is a Pre-Contributor
After extending the votes, voters have decided that Zaza has won this week's competition. Congrats, and I have added you to the hall of fame.

Unfortunately I cannot continue to run this competition due to IRL stuff, so I do not have another topic for now. If anyone wants to take over this thread, they can feel free to by contacting a forum moderator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)