Project OU Weekly Research | v2 hosted by Terrakion. coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tagging the people that signed up:

thanks everyone that signed up; we're on our third week & signups are still doing good yay!! you guys have between now and monday (2/8) night (EST) to write up your posts about whichever pokemon you took (terrakion / mega gyarados / togekiss). as a reminder:
If you take a test subject, it is expected that you'll post. Your posts don't need to be super lengthy & detailed, but they shouldn't be super short and simple. I'm not gonna put some arbitrary regulation on how many sentences you should have, but you should have at least a small paragraph.
and as a reminder to those unsure of what to post:
Things you can post include (but are not limited to):
  • strategies used
  • how you went about building with this Pokemon
  • general strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
  • if the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
  • sets you used with the Pokemon
remember: you aren't limited to these guidelines; they're just here to help in case you aren't sure what to post. if you'd prefer to focus on 1 specific aspect of the pokemon you selected rather than a broad overview, that's totally okay!

if you didn't sign up but you'd like to post, feel free to do so, but just don't post if you haven't used the pokemon in awhile / at all. also, if you sign up but you cannot find the time to post, don't worry about it! just please don't do it regularly :x.

once again, thanks everyone & have fun posting!

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Strengths

Togeee! Its main strength is breaking stall with minimal trouble. Two known teams demonstrate Toge's potency as a stall breaker: Gothitelle stall & Shedinja stall. Both of these were/are threatened heavily by Toge, especially Shed Shell variants in the case of Gothitelle stall. With Shadow Tag's ban, Toge can now use Leftovers freely, increasing its overall efficacy. Because Toge is so dangerous vs. stall, stall players need to be wary of its existence when building. This is one of several reasons Scarf Tar has been seeing more use on some stall teams. Regardless, Toge has all the needed tools to threaten stall and this will probably continue to be the case for the course of ORAS OU.

Toge can also handle several popular threats, like Serperior, Latios, and Garchomp. CMers like Clefable and Slowbro are also threats Toge is able to keep in check relatively well mainly due to Air Slash's flinch rate. Speaking of Air Slash, it's definitely Toge's saving grace. Being able 1v1 Rotom-W and potentially flinch down resists like Bisharp is impressive. All of these things give Toge some solid use outside of its main niche of breaking stall like no other.

Downsides

The main problem for Togekiss is a weakness to common types like ice, rock, electric, and steel. This means popular Pokemon like Weavile, Mega Diancie, Kyurem-B, Thundurus-I, and Mega Metagross are all annoying to face. This is problematic in a metagame dominated by offense, and inviting threats like those to switch in isn't fun. Toge's speed tier leaves a lot to be desired and adds to the problem. Although Thunder Wave could be used to help with the issue, this comes with the expense of giving up Heal Bell and decreasing its stall breaking abilities. Another issue is SR. With rocks up, it's unable to switch in as reliably on threats like Latios and Mega Lopunny unless using max defense, which isn't the standard. With access to Roost and hazard removers like Latios and Excadrill pairing quite well with Toge, this issue definitely isn't the end of the world though.

Sets

NP - Sets with NP make the best use of Togekiss, and there are a few options over Heal Bell. The most obvious is Thunder Wave, which helps neuter faster threats while adding to Toge's luck factor. Fire Blast is a cool and unexpected choice to threaten steels like Mega Metagross, Excadrill, and Mega Scizor. Aura Sphere can work to threaten Tyranitar, Heatran, and Bisharp. These are viable choices, but require ditching Heal Bell and thus reducing Toge's stall breaking abilities. NP sets with max defense are possible to better deal with Mega Lopunny, Latios, and others with SR up. However, NP Toge really likes the speed from the standard spread, so max defense usually isn't seen too often.

Defog - I personally think Togekiss has much better things to be doing than Defog. However, it has seen use on teams like Shedinja stall so it's worth a mention. It can still provide cleric support with Defog, and can invest in more physical bulk to handle Latios and others more comfortably with SR up. It's able to Defog with impunity on common setters like Garchomp, which is nice. Running Defog sacrifices Toge's stall breaking potential though, and there are usually better options for hazard removal between Starmie, Latios, and Excadrill.

There's also Choice Scarf, which can be cool with Trick to cripple a few switch ins. Overall though, I don't think CS makes very good use of Toge's potential and redeeming qualities, so ;-;

Building

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
Since Togekiss essentially covers stall alone, I figured a good way to approach building would be by covering offense well since Toge struggles vs. the playstyle. I began with a simple Tar + Exca core. This provided me with a few things, namely SR, spin, and a nice way to threaten offense. I then added Mega Latias to cover many threats I'd otherwise have issues with, such as Charizard-Y, Keldeo, and Thundurus. Mega Latias with Thunder Wave is usually a good anti-offense Pokemon too, giving me further coverage against the playstyle. Being able to paralyze deterrents to a Toge sweep, like Scarf Tar, is also helpful. My weakness to Mega Scizor was stacking, so Keldeo was chosen to patch this up while giving me some security vs. Bisharp and Weavile. Amoonguss was the final member, covering my Azumarill weakness and providing an additional answer to Keldeo to relieve some pressure from Mega Latias.

I made a few other teams with Togekiss, and they generally followed the same process: covering offense and Toge's other issues. It can be easy to end up stall weak, and Toge's ability to cover the playstyle with one member is really cool. That's the main thing I liked about building with Togekiss because I had some flexibility with my other slots, letting me take several routes. Coincidentally, Togekiss + Mega Latias is the theme for the teambuilding competition this week, so maybe I'll work on this some more.

Wrap Up

Although Togekiss can struggle in an offensive metagame, it's a great fit on teams looking for a reliable way to break stall and certain kinds of balance. It does face some competition from other stall breaking fairies like Mega Gardevoir, but does have some unique advantages that make it a good Pokemon to fill specific roles on your team.

Last edited:
Mega Gyarados

Aka Killer shrimp

Strategies used:

Having used mega gyarados quite a bit im pretty used to using it. I decided to go with the classic sub Dragon Dance set because of its nice stallbreaking capabilities as well as how Sub allows for free dragon dances. I also tried Ice fang for a bit which was also pretty nice but often found sub to be better in most situations. Sub DD makes for a nice wallbreaker because of its ability to ignore things like sturdy or unaware which can turn pokemon like quagsire into setup food thanks to sub+non mega gyara's typing completely walling quag. One of the reasons why mega gyarados is a really big threat is due to the typing change before and after mega. Water/flying with intimidate provides very useful utility and allows gyarados to setup upon mega evolving you gain different resistances which allows you to setup on stuff like slowbro and again thanks to sub you ignore status.

Building around mega gyarados:

Generally when building around mega gyarados you need to account for scarf keldeo and azumarill. Scarf keldeo can revenge kill +1 spe gyara and azumarill walls water/dark coverage so you need to pair it with somthing like Serperior/latios/torn-t/breloom in order to break down water types. Another issue mega gyara can have are fat grass types so flying and fire types are also really nice when building around m gyara. Hazard removal is also important to have due to the rock weakness pre mega.

Strengths and weaknesses:
-Great typing pre and after mega which allows gyara to set up rather easy
-really bulky
-water/dark gives it overall nice coverage
-moldbreaker which can bypass unaware,levitate and thick fat

-Slow before a dragon dance (out-sped by lop and mane if adamant)
-almost always walled by keldeo and azumarill if you lack Earthquake
-Rock weak before mega
-Somewhat hard to build around

Does the meta favor mega gyarados?

Despite how uncommon this thing is, mega gyarados is undeniably a threat in the meta as many teams are unprepared for him.

Sets used:

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Substitute

Team Used:

EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Substitute

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm

Style points (Breloom) @ Black Belt
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance
- Spore

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt

Pretty much a Bulky Offense team revolving around mega gyarados. Cm t-bolt clef for luring in talon for loom. Sd loom for breaking stuff like azu+revenging sand offense and fat grounds for scarf landot. HW latias for removing hazard+giving gyara a second set up opportunity. Stall breaker heatran for stuff like venu and not pressure mega gyara to stall break. Simple team overall. Slightly weak to Mega zam i guess.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

I havent had too much time this week to test it out but today and some other days I played with it a good amount.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dragon-water-steel-heavy-offense-1857-elo.3563863/

I used GH[O]ST 's team for a bit but I changed some stuff that I thought would be better for the team. Btw dude when you read this just know that I don't agree with a lot of the stuff suggested on your RMT and if you want I can explain to you why I made certain changes if you don't catch it in the explanation.
Gyarados-Mega (M) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Bisharp (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Grass Knot

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 32 SpD / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Zygarde @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
The original team had everything except some move changes. I needed a couple of ways to break stall so a TG / RD Manaphy set is what I went with, originally TG / 3 attacks, in combination with Bisharp where I put Grass Knot to break those stall builds utilizing Quagsire / Water-Ground mons to slow the team down. U-Turn on Jirachi was originally Trick on the RMT but with Trick it doesnt help its team-mates maintain momentum where everything on the team relies on either setting up or supplementing these set up sweepers. The original team had Garchomp however it was too weak to Char-X and Sand and while you can sort of dance around Char-X, losing to an SD Excadrill on any team is a big no no in my book. SD Helmet gives the team a defensive pivot while able to apply pressure on fatter teams, thus helping soften up an opponents team for a Zygarde or M-Gyarados sweep.

The only real weakness that M-Gyarados has is its lack of longevity so a lot of times it's better suited to either fatter teams utilizing hazard pressure, in contrast with M-Sharpedos more offensive direction as a cleaner for example, or on an offensive team based around volt-turn cores and Healing Wish.

Idk the meta is kind of off and on in terms of being in favor of it. Sometimes it has good matchups others not so much but it's still a very effective mon and should be taken into account during the team-building phase definitely.

Starmei And His Cup Of Tea

Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 84 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Air Slash
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Substitute
This a team I use sometimes when our beloved hippo head Starmei thinks he can best me in a Bo21 SPL level series of matches, where I need to maintain my status as King in our relationship. Sub Torn-T is cool trick seeing as how the OU community practices the art of dancing around Torn-T and its coverage moves, which Sub sort of ends that gameplan a bit. Air Slash Life Orb cause Hurricane misses and contrary to popular belief isnt bad. EdgeQuake Gliscor so my team isn't total Talonflame food. This team is a bit older though and haven't really bothered making changes but feel free to build something with this as the foundation.

Everyones favorite thing these days. Here are a couple of meme teams I made earlier during the week with a bunch of stupid sets and extremely bad synergy in an earlier attempt to study the mon this week.

Martin Lawrence

Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance

Bronzong @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Trick

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
EVs: 32 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 56 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 56 Def / 152 SpD / 56 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Swords Dance
I saw rob. use Trick Band Bronzong against me trying to style on me but of course once I saw that I had to blow his mind a tad bit with utter stupidity equal to that of the 1800+ OU memers who think they're hot shit. Bounce M-Gyarados ends those Specs Kelds after a Ddance assuming they used it as a switch in.

Martin Lawrence Strikes Back

Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Role Play

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Custap Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 164 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance
So it's pretty cool when the gameplan of your average OU guy is to switch their Lando-T and Chomp into your Lando-T so of course I was tired of that and decided to blow them back with this superbly dumb set that shows the skill level of your favorite OU tier leader. Lando-T walled by CM Clefable is an AM speciality, my patent is in the works dw about it. All out attacker Latios with boltbeam is Rumors favorite set at least it isn't Ice Beam, Tbolt, Memento, Defog this time lolz. Custap Ferro is like a Custap Skarmory but better because it doesnt have Sturdy so you can get ohko'd at any given moment. Good stuff.

Memenite Our Lord And Savior

Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Dragonite @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Multiscale
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 152 Def / 116 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Roost
- Defog

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
I wanted to try Dragonite with a SharpBeak and figured that some coverage moves to break the usual M-Gyarados checks would be nice. Set blows tremendously but Ice Beaming a Lando-T is always fresh. Iron Tail OHKOs Clef after a Dragon Dance and lures other fairies word.

Vertex Is A Clown Like Conk

Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Hex
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Def / 104 SpD / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Healing Wish

Tornadus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute
- Toxic
I thought throwing a Chandelure with M-Gyarados would swoon some of the low key cougars we have gracing our presence secretly in the OU Forum. Sugarhigh laughed at me when I mentiond SubToxic Torn-T. I will make it work one day.....one day ,_,

Enjoy.

I'm making a new post, apologies if I was supposed to edit my original post or something!

Anyway, I had chosen terrakion.

Terrakion has a number of strengths in the meta rn. If you look at its stat distribution, it is identical to keldeo, only it has a higher attack than special attack (Both their higher attacking stats are 129 and their lower one is 72.) However, unlike keldeo, it has much more diversity and a far wider movepool. It gets access to much better boosting options in swords dance and rock polish, while also having nice utility moves such as stealth rock and taunt. Also, while keldeo really only has icy wind and a hidden power type outside of its STAB attacks, terrak has earthquake, iron head, poison jab, x-scissor, zen headbutt, and even quick attack. Each move except for probably zen and poison jab have their own advantages. EQ gives terrak stonequake coverage, however is often redundant with CC. I found iron head/ poison jab to be quite nice vs clefable, which thought it could switch into it (Although stone edge from LO is a guarrenteed 2HKO after rocks on 252/252 clef, and band gets the 2HKO all the time, it's nice not having to risk a miss) and other fairies. X-scissor I found myself using quite a bit on scarf sets for starmie, and band sets for slowbro) while zen headbutt really had no use that I could see. Quick attack was something I threw on an SD set once, and I found myself clicking it more than I thought I would against weakened threats such as tornadus who can OHKO with a life orb focus blast, or even offensive zam which took 83 % at least from +2. Band sets however were one of my favorite. Here are some impressive calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 204-241 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 175-207 (49.4 - 58.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 153-181 (42 - 49.7%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 234-276 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It seriously doesn't mess around. However scarf is nice as well, being able to revenge kill plenty of fast threats like tornadus, weavile, alakazam, +1 zard X, gyara, or d-nite (which is huge) And fast electrics were all very nice.

However, it is not a perfect pokemon. It is weak to nearly every priority in the book, so things like scizor, azu, and breloom can all threaten him out. Also it absolutely hates status, especially para and burn. There were times when I played terak way too conservatively because I feared a will-o-wisp or t-wave. It also doesn't love to be a team's only way of handling things like talonflame (literally like the only rock type that doesn't switch into talon :P ) I played it a lot like LO torn-t sometimes, because like hurricane, even though terak WANTS to get in and spam stone edge to kingdom come, it really can't because of the accuracy.

I built around terrakion by deciding to use a life orb set. I thought it would be cool to have a stealth rocker that could seriously put out damage. At first I paired it with bisharp, because I fricking love bisharp. But then I realized that this topic is all about experimenting with certain mons in OU, so I switched to mega absol. Now, I was expecting it to be like really bad but tbh it wasn't. I started an alt on the low ladder at like 1200 and literally no one knew how to deal with it. They didn't know it got sucker, magic bounce, SD, fire blast, ice beam or play rough. Next I decided we had a seriously unpleasant fighting and fairy weakness. Talonflame filled both these weaknesses super well. Also, mega absol got magic bounce which was nice to help keep rocks off the field (Not that absol was exactly switching into many rockers, but it certainly didn't hurt) Then I felt sad at how I didn't really have much hazard removal. Also, I love FWG cores on these types of teams. I wanted to have something that was another fighting resist, and could remove hazards along with switch into keldeo because atm it just clicked either STAB and won. I was debating between latios and starmie, but in the end LO starmie was chosen because it synergized better with talonflame, and dat bolt beam coverage. Next, I found myself still struggling with fairies - with rocks up, talon was NOT a switch in. I also needed a way to handle lop better than talon, cause right now that was kinda all I had (Also, a weavile check would be nice). Aaaaaaand I wanted some way to bring in terrakion and mega absol as much as possible, so U-turn, Baton pass, or Volt-switch was a must. Finally, healing wish would be lovely because I had at this point a lot of mons that got worn down quite quickly. So, ScarfRachi was what I chose. Finally, I wanted a way to take a big chunk out of talon, and be an all around check to bulky waters. I had hazard removal so sash loom was chosen. The priority is nice, and I love being able to rock tomb any bird. Here's the pasatebin cause I am not a clever man and can't get the "Show/ Hide" command to work. http://pastebin.com/YjUUwjSc

I think the meta is in favor of terrak. I feel like its wallbreaking power is simply unmatched, and when paired with the right mons it can seriously give some people trouble. It fits well on volt turn teams, or highly offensive teams. I didn't use it on balance, however I'm sure band sets would function as great breakers there as well. While it does hate priority, terrakions great speed, utility, and sheer power make it a great mon.

The main Terrakion set I used is the sash lead set. In this metagame filled with revenge killers that hit super effective on Terrakion (azumarill, breloom, mega-metagross, etc.) I found him a bit hard to use as a sweeper but decent as a lead. With access to taunt and rocks he functioned well as a lead as he outsped common leads (chomp, lando, etc.), could taunt them, and then proceed to get up rocks and get a hit or two off before dying.

The Squad

(lol I couldn't find a Mega-Lop sprite if someone could hit me up with a reliable sprite source that'd be nice :])AM Edit: Got you

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

With this team I went with a more Hyper Offense archetype (HO is Life :]) with sash lead Terrak and then some offensive threats. Now you might be sitting there and are thinking wtf is up with that REGULAR Kyurem. Well allow me to explain. Looking at base stats, Kyurem actually has a higher base Sp. Atk. than Kyurem-B (130 compared to 120) so I went for the higher damage and picked up a scarfed special nuker. I wanted to have a bit of volt-turn action going on as this is HO so I went with two of the genies, Landorus and Thundurus, who fit nicely. With these two I could generate momentum and get chip damage for my other mons to snag KO's, not to mention also having the potential to dish out some heavy damage themselves. At this point in the build I found myself in danger of hazards. Rocks were an issue as they broke Terrak's sash if I didn't lead with him and they were doing 25% to Thundurus and Kyurem upon switch in. As Terrakion is more of a one hit wonder with his rocks, I found myself preferring rapid spin over defog. I didn't really wanna use Excadrill because I thought he was too slow for this team so I went with the higher speed tier and chose Starmie. Starmie provided nice coverage for my team, was fast, and could spin. For my last mon, I saw that I had yet to get a mega, there were more Sp Attackers than physical attackers on my team (3 vs. 2) and that mega sab proved to be problematic, so I threw in a bunny. Mega-Lop paired nicely with the team as it hit mega sab hard, hit Chansey like a freaking truck, had priority in the form of fake out (one time use though), was rly fast, and who doesn't love bunnies? Back to the point though, this team proved to be pretty successful for me. Rotoms were a bit of a thorn in my side but normally I could play around them.

Replay's:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-327480162 (I'm not good so bear with me pls)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-327502774
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-327513159

So yeah, overall Terrakion is a useful pokemon but overall the meta just doesn't seem to suit very well atm. That said, don't sleep on Terrak as he can punch holes even as a sash lead! Anyway thats that for my analysis, thanks for reading if you could put up with me thus far!

Last edited by a moderator:
TOGEKISS

I really like Togekiss as a pokemon, and, due to its flinching tactics and its movepool including moves such as Heal Bell, Roost, Nasty Plot and Air Slash (for dem flinches), allows it to be an extremely potent threat to stall, being able to to set up easily against stall and profit against a stall time.

I didn't have much time this weak, therefore I didn't spend that much time on building these teams, but I managed to build an offense team (don't have the importable for it rn), and a balance team:

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 8 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 136 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Landorus-Therian @ Lum Berry
EVs: 88 HP / 188 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 152 HP / 88 SpA / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

I decided to pair Togekiss with Seismitoad, since Togekiss checks the likes of Serperior and other Grass types for Seismitoad, whereas Seimsitoad checks Electrics and Steels for Togekiss, as well as checking Heatran. Skarmory was thrown on as a check to Fairies, Venusaur checked Water-types and stuff, DD Landorus was a wincondition against offense and Latias was there to lure steel types, and Thunder Wave helped it.
This team utilised the standard Stallbreaker set, which meant I could concentrate on other aspects while teambuilding.

I also used an NP + 3 attacks (Air Slash, Aura Sphere, Fire Blast) set with Lum Berry, which, whilst still being a prominent threat against stall, performed slightly better against offense due to its coverage options, and I found as a whole was easier to build around. NP + Thunder Wave (+ 2 attacks/Air Slash + Roost), is also an option that allows it to perform against offense, however I wasn't able to test it.

I didn't use the Defog set, as I wasn't a fan of it, however I do think that it's worth noting that it resists both of Garchomp's STABs, meaning it can profit easily off this.

STRENGTHS: Very threatening to stall, and finds set up opportunities against the like easily, due to its movepool. Able to run a variety of coverage moves such as Flamethrower (for Steels), Aura Sphere (for TTar/Tran) and Thunder Wave.

WEAKNESSES: Performs poorly against offense if not running Thunder Wave, which is annoying since its ability to run Heal Bell is what makes it so good against stall, also in a meta where offense is very prominent, it's very match-up based.

Conclusion:
Togekiss is a 'mon that is very good against stall. However its match-up is heavily based against stall, and therefore doesn't always perform to the best of its abilities.

My verdict is that the metagame isn't in its favour.

Togekiss!

Air slash is the best, and worst thing about togekiss. You will flinch your opponent at least a few times and you will make them hate you. To illustrate this point, I have a few replays to share with you, they are from fairly low on the ladder, but pay close attention to the flinches in each game and how they affect the outcome.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-325996494 <- I felt like there was one flinch here that made the match, maybe it's my imagination though.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-326660046 <- Togekiss almost saves the day, then I get flinched in return...oh well, its only fair right? :P I do make some mistakes this game, some of them are overpredictions others are just me being too paranoid, like, I wasn't sure what move his skarmory had, so I kept running away from it.

Togekiss has some notable weaknesses. It's movepool while good, is not amazing. It's fairly one dimensional and predicable, your opponent sees a togekiss and they know EXACTLY, what it's going to do. I wondered if maybe I could use hustle to make a bait set to exploit that, but sadly Togekiss' movepool is not nearly deep enough. It's also weak to some very common priority moves, most notably Bullet Punch and Ice Shard. It's also on the slow end of the speed tier, being outrun by most of the common steel types and electric types. It is weak to rocks but that issue can be overcome.

Despite it's flaws, Togekiss does have many pros, most notably it's typing. Flying Fairy gives it two very important immunities and a ton of resists. It can counter some of OUs most dangerous fighting types, and its bulk makes it a good pivot. It's movepool is also a little bit deeper than just air slash and certain attacks can really catch an opponent off guard. Obviously though the best move it has is Air Slash, sometimes the best play is just to spam it, especially if the opponent has no good switch-ins to take it. It hits hard enough that even pokemon who resist it must take pause before deciding to switch in, especially at +2.

Building sets for togekiss involved a lot of trial and error for me, but it boiled down to figuring out how to counter it's common responses. My first thought for a set to build around was choice specs. Choice Specs with trick has decent attack power so you can still kinda function as a wallbreaker, but it also allows togekiss to bait some of it's more common switch ins and cripple them with trick. You must be careful of a few things when you use specs however, first, you have to beware when you give your specs away, you lose a lot of 2HKO potential that you once had. Togekiss even with Aura Sphere cannot dent a couple of special walls hard enough without specs. There's an even bigger danger that you give something specially offensive a set of specs and it starts destroying you. Also the set couldn't do anything to megas that switched into it other than attack them. Specs probably requires the most support, and is best used as some kind of bait, or as a counter to a slow-setup mon like talonflame, something that needs a few turns to get rolling, it also nets a surprise KO against most tyranitar. The set that required the least amount of mind games was the stallbreaker set from the analysis. It was strong enough to stand on its own, and while the mono-attack is kinda annoying given the number of steel types in the tier, it provided enough power to rip apart enemy teams once the counters were weakened or gone.

When I built teams with this pokemon, I thought mostly about what it could provide to a team in terms of momentum. Both Specs and Stallbreaker make great pivots due to their health pool, so what I needed was something that could benefit from a free turn. Garchomp came to mind as did ferrothorn. They can both setup entry hazards and they cover many of Toge's weaknesses. I built four different teams, ranging from HO to balance. Togekiss fits well enough on all kinds of teams, it just depends on what you want out of it, and that you build a squad it can support. Togekiss also needs hazzard removal, starime, mega scizor, and excadrill all make good partners, they stop notable threats from pressuring togekiss and they can remove opposing hazzards, Lati@s also makes a decent partner but beware of metagross. Togekiss benefits a lot from steel and fire types as team mates, but fast fighting types can also be good team players. I built four teams, I'll post the two which I had the most success with under this.

HO- The HO team didn't seem to have as much of a problem with Rotom, Ferrothorn countered it well, though without Power Whip it didn't have a tool to immediately deal with it. I messed with this team quite a lot, trading p-whip for protect and overall testing my luck. With Specs togekiss the team was very good at delivering blows but didn't have a good way to sustain itself. It was very explosive, but fragile.
Space Man (Togekiss) (M) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast
- Trick

Haribell (Garchomp) (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Poison Jab

StarshipXerprise (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Polaris (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam

CrossHatch (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

M-Venu team

This was probably the best team I built. Solid balance with good checks to the metagame. It was able to power through things and I got to use offensive Garchomp which I hadn't done in a while.
stats
Space Man (Togekiss) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Darth Helmet (Garchomp) (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab

Demon Cyborg (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon

Plush (Azumarill) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Sabre (Excadrill) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Joshua (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Honestly though I feel like the metagame is quite fast for Togekiss right now. It's outrun by many of the common threats, mega-metagross doesn't even need BP, he can just meteor mash and destroy you. Weavile also outspeeds, heatran is a big problem if it's offensive. If it lacks steal stab it's not as big of a deal but togekiss doesn't have a good way to hit it other than annoy it to death. Many dragons now carry poison jab which is a big weakness togekiss has, with lack of a notable fairy stab to knock them down with, most dragon types don't really fear togekiss. It might be immune to the dragon stab, but their coverage moves will usually wear it down, or sometimes OHKO after boosting. However, I believe that this pokemon can find a place on any team if the builder has a mind to use it. It might be slow, but there are a lot of things it can counter even with it's weaknesses. As I mentioned, it's a great pivot, and it can be used to counter Zard X, Loppunny, Breloom and Talonflame. The Air Slash makes it great against stall teams as well, as they lose precious turns to flinch while you break them down. The cleric aspect certainly helps against stall as well.

Last edited:
Mega Gyarados

This dude (if u havent seen my lovely avatar :) is one of my favorite Fat team killers.
Dragon Dance + Stabs and filler like taunt sub or even the rare T wave is an amazing Fat Team Breaker.

However, since Offensive teams are really really common, and its weaknesses dont help it at all, Mega Gyarados is sushi to fast offensive teams :(

However, its original role isnt to beat fast teams anyway, so its kinda like "it doesnt really matter"
Mold Breaker + Stabs is an amazing way to rip balance and Stallish teams to shreds or at the very least annoy them. Mega Venusaur is like the only thing that stands out to softcheck it when it comes to fat mons.

If u pay attention, Water/Dark is an amazing Stallbreaking Offensive type. THERE IS LITTLE TO NONE IN STALL/FAT TEAMS THAT RESISTS ITS STABS (besides stuff like chesnaught, and skarmory gets taunted...)

Mega Gyarados Strengths and Weaknesses

Weaknesses: Fast Offensive teams. especially in the 110s speed tier annoy it ESPECIALLY KELDEO!!! Azumarill is only exception for obvious reasons. These fast offensive teams pressure and ultimately disable Mega Gyarados.

Nice partners:
-Latios is a nice offensive partner to not just cover some of Mega Gyarados' weakneses but offer some offensive pressure of its own with CM and LO Dracos, etc.
-Surprisingly, fast pokemon like Talonflame Torn T or Weavile is a nice option because it can finish up stuff Mega Gyarados can struggle against. Can offer good offensive pressure and annoy fast offensive teams
-Heatran. This Magma Storming stallbreaker greatly aids Mega Gyarados' stall/balance breaking prowess.

In conclusion:
If u wanna use Mega Gyarados, Pls know that Fast Offensive teams annoy you while it alone can do huge chunks to fat and stallish teams. So bring some fast team beating friends like Tflame and Weavile etc.

Team:
This is my fav MGyarados team
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave/Taunt

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Secret Sword
- Scald

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Psychic
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast

Last edited:
Shoutout to Infernal I'm stealing borrowing that layout :^)

Strengths

(Terrakion is the greatest mon that ever happened to Pokemon outside of Gastrodon)
Terrakion is a strong Physical Attacker with good speed and a great offensive typing. It has a great movepool to utilize its strengths and try to patch up its weaknesses it may have either through its sheer power or its coverage moves, such as Iron Head and Earthquake. Terrakion can run a variety of sets such as Double Dance, Swords Dance, Scarf, Stealth Rock lead, and the list goes on. Although Terrakion has fallen off the radar entering ORAS, it can catch a lot of teams off guard due to how rarely its actually used as people may forget how threatening this Pokemon can really be.

Weaknesses

Terrakion puns about being BL
Terrakion has a horrid defensive typing, being weak to seven different types which are all pretty common types in the metagame. Due to the typing Terrakion has, it can't abuse the good-ish defenses it may have on paper at 91/90/90. Terrakion also struggles with bulky ground types Pokemon which are extremely common such as Hippowdon, and more importantly Garchomp and Landorus-Therian. Terrakion also faces competition with other fighting types in the tier such as Mega Lopunny, and Mega Gallade who are both faster and receives better coverage moves such as Ice Punch. Terrakion is also weak to common priority moves such as Bullet Punch, and Mach Punch.

Sets

Swords Dance: Swords Dance is probably one of my favorite sets to run on Terrakion. Boosting its already great base 129 attack stat to higher levels and to abuse its good offensive STABs can put a dent in most teams alone. This set usually will have an empty slot if you don't run double fighting moves with Sacred Sword and Close Combat, and can easily be filled with either Taunt (Lock a Pokemon into its set up moves, hazard etc. to make setting up a lot easier or allow the rest of the team to gain momentum), Earthquake (hits golurk for you gen 5 (BAN ME PLEASE), can OHKO Heatran and weakened Excadrill without being forced to us Close Combat and getting defense drops, and some other uncommon Pokemon such as Toxicroak.), X-Scissor (nailing Celebi, Lati@s--just Stone Edge them though let's be honest), and Iron Head (Hits Fairy types such as Clefable).

Choice Scarf / Band: More of the effective sets Terrakion runs is a Choice set. Having Scarf allows it to revenge kill effectively with its already aforementioned great movepool and offensive stats. Band allows it to break through a ton of Pokemon with its insane amount of damage Choice Band Terrakion brings.

Double Dance: Getting access to Swords Dance and Rock Polish gives Terrakion opportunities to sweep on its on. After a Rock Polish it is able to outspeed the entire tier and with Swords Dance can boost its attack to higher levels. Double Dance Terrakion is an excellent late game cleaner when most of its threats are either weakened or gone.

Building:
I'll edit this sometime tonight with a team.

And always remember, Terrakion is the greatest thing that has ever happened to Pokemon. Fawk all those BL jokes as well. Get hit w. a Close Combat fam.

Whimsicott pls m00ns

c l o s i n g. thanks to everyone who participated!

the posts being added to archive are this post on terrakion by Terrakion. (lol), this post on mega gyarados by BlazeLatias, and this post on togekiss by Infernal. good job peeps n_n

thanks Nedor and Infernal for helping me decide on the posts to archive (infernal didn't comment on her post at all ofc). also, remember: the archived posts are simply the posts that best summarize the pokemon for future reference. not every post needs to summarize the pokemon; some people may just want to center their posts around one aspect, and that's totally okay. you don't need to follow the guidelines perfectly to post here; they're just there to guide you a bit if you're unsure of what to post.

~​

week #4

hawlucha | mega latias | whimsicott
obligatory AM Terrakion.
REMEMBER: you simply pick 1 one of these 3 (or 2 / 3 of them if you want :p) and post here saying which one you're taking. also, you can use any set you want!

the discussion period will start on 2/13; those of you who want to participate have between now and then to play around with one of these pokemon. have fun n_n

Hawlucha. I wanna find new ways to beat stall, and Mold breaker SD + taunt/encore + stabs sounds fun as hell :))

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Edit: Scratch that, I'll take Mega Latias since its the mega I've been using the most these past few weeks.

Last edited:
starting this a little earlier than usual so everyone has time to post and stuff !_!:

thanks everyone that signed up! you guys have between now and monday (2/15) night (EST) to write up your posts about whichever pokemon you took (hawlucha / mega latias / whimsicott). as a reminder:
If you take a test subject, it is expected that you'll post. Your posts don't need to be super lengthy & detailed, but they shouldn't be super short and simple. I'm not gonna put some arbitrary regulation on how many sentences you should have, but you should have at least a small paragraph.
and as a reminder to those unsure of what to post:
Things you can post include (but are not limited to):
  • strategies used
  • how you went about building with this Pokemon
  • general strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
  • if the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
  • sets you used with the Pokemon
remember: you aren't limited to these guidelines; they're just here to help in case you aren't sure what to post. if you'd prefer to focus on 1 specific aspect of the pokemon you selected rather than a broad overview, that's totally okay!

if you didn't sign up but you'd like to post, feel free to do so, but just don't post if you haven't used the pokemon in awhile / at all. also, if you sign up but you cannot find the time to post, don't worry about it! just please don't do it regularly :x.

have fun posting!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)