OUT OF EXILE

INTRODUCTION

I've always hated writting introductions, I never seem to know what to say (this time included). A few weeks ago I hit a slump in my battling, around the time Cyclohm playtesting began (I really miss using Kitsunoh). So after alot of disspapointing losses I decided to take a break and come back when I had the proper team building inspiration. Ever since then I have been playing Mafia here on the forums and have gotten to meet a ton of great people. Eventually one of my fellow villagers, Lonenlyness, asked me about myself, and eventually the question came up; Do you battle? This question sparked up my creativity and I immediately jumped onto Shoddy. So here is the product of my work, I hope you enjoy!

TEAM OUT OF EXILE

MOLTRES

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4Def/252Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ground]/ Roost
---
One day I was reading through some RMT's and I noticced Moltres. For whatever reason I had never felt the urge to use a Moltres before, but again I just kind of forgot about it for a while. Recentely though there was an article in the CC that stood out to me: Anti-Lead Moltres. So I finally took the initiative to add Moltres into my team, and here it is! This is probably my new lead of choice, it's just so damn usefull. I took the EV's straight off the analysis workshop, 40 EVs in Defense add to its durability and help it survive Waterfalls from Swampert and Gyarados. Max Special Attack gives it alot of fire power, sitting at 382 it can take huge chunks of HP off the opposing pokemon. Metagross gets 2HKOed by Fire Blast if it is holding Occa Berry, otherwise it is a clean OHKO along with Bronzong and Jirachi. U-Turn is used to escape tricky situations, like Tyranitar and Azelf, and go to the respective check, in this case it would be Scizor since neither of these two pokemon will use a fire type move on Moltres. Lead Infernape have to switch out or risk getting OHKOed by Air Slash. Air Slash also brings Swampert and Hippowdon into KO range for Fire Blast. HP Ground is great for dispatching opposing Heatran. Instead I might make the change to Roost. Moltres will usually live long into the match and with its useful set of resistances it can make good use of a self healing move to help it repeatedly switch into various threats.

STARMIE

Starmie @ Leftovers/ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
---
With so many SR weak pokemon on the same team I had to have a spinner. Starmie was an obvious choice for this role because not only does it bring its fast spinning capabilities to the table but it also adds an offensive factor that few other spinners (maybe hipmontop?) can create. With STAB Surf and BoltBeam it has pleanty of chances to hit hard. A change that I was thinking about would be to add a choice scarf to Starmie, effectively giving me a great revenge killer for both DDMence and DDGyara. Right now my team lacks a scarfer, and although it does have rapid spin I would much rather get a quick spin and have to switch out than have to deal with Moltres Gyarados and Salamence getting hurt by Stealth Rocks.

JOLTEON

Jolteon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Grass]/ Thunder Wave
---
This is another pokemon, like Moltres, that I had never really thought about when building a team. But after several RMTs and a few Warstories that featured the little electric dog, I finally caved in decided to add it to this team. Jolteon gets free switch ins all the time due to the fact that there are 2 electric weak pokemon on my team, Gyarados and Starmie. Once this guy gets in he hits like a nuke, STAB Thunderbolt and Shadowball for coverage hits tons of pokemon incredibley hard. Even neutral hits usually bring the opposition into KO range for the next attack, which coming off base 130 speed will probably move first. Baton Pass has served useful in several situations, such as using it as a Gliscor comes in expecting to take a Thunderbolt but instead finds itself staring down a Salamence ready to fire of a Draco Meteor. Honestly I dont use HP Grass, I just never find it useful except for the random swampert that come in every once in a while. Jolteon's move pool is rather shallow so the choices for this last spot are rather limited, maybe t-wave for use as a final act of desperation?

SCIZOR

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-turn
---
Everytime I'm looking for a good priority user for my teams Scizor always pops into my mind. And who can blame him really? STAB Technician CB Bullet Punch coming off a massive attack stat really hurts! He serves the primary purpose of revenge killing and BP sweeping near the end game, but he also serves another purpose: A slow U-Turn. The amount of times this has been useful for getting my sweepers in unharmed is practically uncountable. Pursuit is great for taking out opposing Psychic and Ghost types, and more importantly Blissey (She walls the shit out of most of my team so getting rid of her is a priority!). Superpower is a great move to round out the set, hitting other Scizors and random stuff. Despite the amount of Scizors roaming around all the time, he never seems to shine any less.

SALAMENCE

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 Atk/176 Spd/252 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Brick Break
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
---
MixMence! Well Classic Mixmence actually, taken straight off the analysis page. He actually is a wonderfull asset to this team, providing great wall breaking abilities and a super powerfull Draco Meteor to take out weakend walls and anything not resisting it. Roost gives Salamence the option to heal itself so that I can live to fight another day, this has been invaluable in several situations such as out healing a Machamp using Stone Edge! It also gives me the ability to heal off SR damage if I couldn't get it off the field before he needs to come in, so that's always handy.

GYARADOS

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
---
My late game sweeper and check to a few threats, DDGyara. This guy will come in near the end game to Dragon Dance me to victory, usually switching in after the things that can wall it have been taken care of. Gyarados also works well in conjunction with Jolteon, who takes the electric attacks thrown at Gyarados heals off damage and starts hurting things. I've also considered using Bounce Gyarados, having used him in the past with pretty good success.

Defensive Threats

Blissey - Blissey can be a very large roadblock to victory unless it gets killed early on by Scizor. Luckily though the two pokemon that it walls most often (starmie just likes to spin and natural cure will heal its status) have either u-turn or baton pass to get out and go straight to scizor who can OHKO with either pursuit or super power.

Bronzong - If Bronzong is leading then Moltres will OHKO with Fire blast, otherwise scizor can switch in a give it some U turn damage then go to Salamence or Moltres and KO with Fire blast.

Celebi - With two U-turners, a pursuit user, and a couple of fire blasts here and there, celebi doesnt get too much of a chance to live long.

Cresselia - This one is a little more of a problem, normally I will go to scizor and either U-turn if I think he is going to stay in or Pursuit if I feel he is switching out. Correct prediciton is imperative in dispatching cress.

Donphan - If we ignore the fact that this guy is UU now, he can be easily handled by starmie who can come in and use its STAB surf. I dont think he can take repeated beatings from moltres either, who can come in on the EQ and start using air slash and Fire blast to KO it.

Dusknoir - With the number of heavy hitters on this team, dusknoir will not live very long. Moltres can come in on the expected WoW and start hurting it back without it being able to do much back, and if it is already weakened he can be picked off by basically anyone of my pokemon, though I wouldnt risk gyarados and scizor to WoW.

Forretress - No room to set-up on this team or spin at all. Both Molres and Salamence can come in with very little danger to them selfs and start putting the hurt on forretress.

Gliscor - With Starmie around this guy is going nowhere fast. If I can predict them coming in on the expected Thunderbolt from Jolteon, I'll Baton Pass to starmie and watch them either switch out and give me a chance to spin or die a ice beam.

Gyarados - Since it is in the defensive threats I will assume that it is not a jollyDos and instead a bulkyDos, in which case Jolteon can come in after a u-turn or something and OHKO it with Thunderbolt. Starmie can also come in rather easily and T-bolt as well.

Hippowdon - Usually a lead for a stall team, in which case Moltres 2HKOs it with air slash (which has a 30% flinch rate so he might not get rocks up) followed by a fire blast, otherwise starmie can handle it I think.

Jirachi - Lead Jirachi get OHKOed by Moltres, while not being able to do much back due to iron head being NVE. If he decides to trick he still lose because Moltres loves using scarfs. CM jirachi hasnt popped up yet, but I think that a combination of U-turn to a Fire blast might do the trick.
Rotom-A - Rotom is a slight problem. Without a reliable way to trap it like a tyranitar, I have to resort to good old fashioned overpowering. With such heavy hitters it shouldnt be a huge problem to take out. Maybe a shadow ball from jolteon if he happened to come into a u turn from scizor, or a draco meteor from salamence if he is not scarfed.

Skarmory - Not an issue, with a spinner and two powerful fire blast users this guys is cake to bring down.

Snorlax - Scizor handles snorlax quite nicely, resisting body slam (and even if it did paralyze him it wouldnt be such a big deal) and retaliating with either U-turn, if I got paralyzed, to salamence which can finish him off with Brick Break, or super power for the OHKO.

Suicune - Suicune takes alot of damage from the electric moves on the team, especially from jolteon. Starmie can take on an already damaged one.

Swampert - Swampert will probably come in on jolteon to try and absorb the predicted Thunder Bolt, but jolteon has HP grass. I dont see many outside the lead spot in which case moltes can 2HKO while he sets up Stealth Rocks.

Tentacruel - Not too much of a problem, jolteon can deal huge amounts of damage to tentacruel (not sure if it OHKOs but I wouldnt be surprised). Otherwise Starmie can also deal some damage with its Thunder Bolt. Salamence can pick off a weakened one with Draco Meteor.

Tyranitar - Not too big of a problem. Salamence can OHKO with Brick Break, Scizor can U turn for a OHKO most of the time or bullet punch for a OHKO most of the time. Jolteon is the only with problems but can baton pass out. Starmie can revenge kill a weakened one.

Vaporeon - Vaporeon takes a ton of damage from jolteon's thunderbolt and cant really take repeated hits from all the heavy hitters. Scizor will U turn to either Salamence, which will draco meteor, or jolteon.

Zapdos - This can be a huge nuisance. He can come in scizor and then its downhill from there. I need to sacrifice things to get it into KO range for salamence or starmie, and even then it can use roost to heal off the damage. A serious threat.

Offensive Threats

Azelf - Azelf is most likely used as a lead, in which case I use U turn and go straight to Scizor (nobody uses fire moves on moltres, especially on the first turn) and procede to Bullet Punch. If it is not a lead, jolteon and scizor can handle it quite nicely.

Breloom - Annoying as hell, usually have to sacrifice something to spore and then proceed from there to Gyarados.

Dragonite - Dragonite has never been a problem. It is dispatched easily by its faster bretheren salamence. Other than that Starmie can easily OHKO with Ice Beam and Jolteon can also hurt it pretty badly.

Dugtrio - It will usually come in to trap jolteon, in which case I would have had to have predicted correctly with either shadow ball or baton pass. Afterwards Gyarados can come in and KO it with waterfall, or starmie can do the same with surf.

Electivire - Never been to big of a problem, but with jolteon on this team I have to be a little more careful because if it get a speed boost I will have to resort to tricky intimidate switching or something because it hits everyone on my team relatively hard.

Gallade - Never a problem. He doesnt get very many chances to come in and if he does Salamence can come in on a close combat and intimidate it then probably KO with draco meteor.

Gengar - Jolteon can outspeed and KO, Scizor can Bullet Punch or use Pursuit, if it even gets a chance to switch in because of the fact my team doesnt use fighting or ground type moves very often.

Gyarados - Offensive Gyarados can be tricky to handle. If I am using a Scarf on my Starmie then it can get the revenge kill, and if it is not running a jolly nature then Jolteon can KO it with Thunderbolt. The lack of SR on my team lets it come in repeated times so it can be a problem.

Heatran - Moltres will outspeed and KO with HP Ground or 2HKO those holding shucca berry. Gyarados can come in on a Fire Type move and KO with Waterfall. Starmie can KO it as well.

Heracross - Doesnt really ever get a chance to get in, and if it does Moltres makes a great counter resisting both of its STABs and KOing back with Air Slash. Salamence can also do the same, and Scarfed versions can be taken advantage of with Gyarados.

Infernape - Also doesnt get much of a chance to come in with its weak defenses. If it does get onto the field it can be killed by both starmie and Jolteon who both outspeed and KO it.

Jolteon - Jolteon can be a problem. Jolteon can get in on a predicted T-Bolt but cant do much back other than shadow ball (he can switch out and the problem persists). Scizor can sort of revenge kill it if it is weakened enough. Another big problem.

Kingdra - If it gets a rain dance in I'm in big trouble. Another serious, but not seen often, problem.

Lucario - Gyarados can come in KO this guy pretty easily. Salamence can also switch in an intimidate him, effectively forcing him out or risk getting KOed.

Machamp - This guy can be a serious hassle. I normally will try to switch in either salamence or Gyrados (sometime both) to lower his attack and force him out, or again be KOed by Draco Meteor. This plan fails if SR is on the field so yeah...

Magnezone- This guy will usually try and trap scizor after he has killed something, and can be a big hassle! Choiced version will not enjoy having to switch out after a jolteon comes in on their T-Bolts. It can be a little bit of a problem.

Mamoswine - Not to difficult to handle. Moltres can come in on an expected Earthquake and KO with Fire Blast, scizor can come in on an ice shard aimed at salamence and KO back with Bullet Punch.

Metagross - LeadGross will get 2HKOed by my moltres while it cant do too much back. Agiligross can be a bit of a problem though...

Porygon-Z - I never see this guy but isnt too big of a problem. Scizor can come in on tri attack and, if choiced, will force him to switch while I u turn. Wont get too many chances to switch in with all the heavy hitters. Most of my pokemon can revenge kill it as well.

Salamence - Salamence can be a little bit of an issue. I need to get it down to Bullet Punch KO range which can be a little bit of a problem without SR. It can be revenge killed by starmie if it is using a scarf. Everyone is Salamence weak though!

Scizor - Gyarados can come in a scare it off. It gets walled badly by moltres, who resists bullet punch, u turn, and Super Power, and can KO it back easily

Starmie - Scizor can pursuit it easily and can also be dispatched by Jolteon.

Togekiss - Togekiss gets OHKOed by Jolteon who can come in on its T-Wave and can be revenged by starmie salamence and scizor.

Tyranitar - Mentioned earlier.

Weavile - This guy gets walled so easily by both scizor and moltres, not to mention gyarados can come in and intimidate him.

Yanmega- Never really faced one before actually. If I did though I would switch Salamence in while it uses protect and hope it doesnt have HP ice?

Zapdos - Mentioned earlier.

As you can see there are not too many issues. Just some pesky electric types like Zapdos, Jolteon and Magnezone. Also some set up sweepers like Gyarados and Salamence if Starmie is not wearing a scarf. I think I did a pretty good job covering most of the threats.

So tear it apart!

First of all props for using lead Moltres.

You've constructed your team pretty well. I do see a lot of Electric and Rock weak Pokemon, but Jolteon and Starmie cover it well.

If you're going to use Starmie as a Rapid Spinner, Recover should be on there somewhere. With Rotom on the rise, it can be difficult to find an opening for spinning the rocks away and residual damage will take its toll on Starmie. I suggest replacing Ice Beam or Thunderbolt with Recover.

If you don't find Hidden Power Grass useful on Jolteon, don't bother with Thunder Wave, Choice Specs and only two attacking moves isn't the best route to take. Use Hidden Power Ice for your last slot, it gets great coverage when paired with STAB Thunderbolt and allows Jolteon to revenge kill Salamence.

That is all.

Moltres CAN outrun Max Speed Heatran (which are IIRC the majority of Heatran out there), but it needs 252 Speed EVs with a neutral nature or 152 Speed EVs with a positive nature.

Moltres wants HP Grass for Swampert and any other water type that will otherwise wall him. HP ground only really covers Heatran, and the fact you have 2 relatively bulky waters means you shouldn't fear him much.

Just bumping it up. Could I have a few more rates? I put alot of work into this, and would appreciate some more criticism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)